FL - Doug Benefield, 58, shot and killed by estranged wife, Manatee County, 27 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Her father was Navy I believe she said. It wasn't delved into very deeply. I only heard he died from this forum. Do not know if true or not.

It just seems to me that someone of ABs age and experience is not going to know all these stunts to pull unless she is being coached by Mom and/or has seen this play out previously.
Quite a few deep dives are needed by reporters.
Thanks.

Peter is the obvious go-to.
1.4K waiting for his video to start.

Oh..it just started
You can slow down the speed on YouTube when recordings of testimonies are being played.

I like him because he gives both sides.

I wouldn’t say the state’s case is baffling. The dark haired prosecutor is not well-prepared though. I think these cases are tough for prosecutors because it’s a DV case, the defendant is female, and there’s some grey area. But ultimately, they don’t have to wade into the grey. They can stand on the moment of shooting and whether she was in fear for her life or not. AB has testified and proved she wasn’t and that she’s a liar. That is enough! Why wade into all the drama of this hysterical relationship and risk alienating any jurors? Focus the jurors on the shooting. That’s what they need to close with. We’ve just been in the defense case where there’s been a lot of obfuscation but the key elements remain the same.

JMO

This is partially why I think AB planned this whole thing. It is pretty darned rare for a defendant never to be heard from prior to trial. No 911 call, no LE interview, etc. And also why is is pretty obvious her Mom was in on it all since she was at the ready with the lawyer on the phone before they even took AB to headquarters.
The mom did not give me a good feeling at all. Contacting an attorney that fast was odd.

I'm curious if Ferris ever told a woman that she hasn't been abused?
Does he believe everything a women tells him?

IIRC: before his testimony when he was being questioned he said he spoke with AB for about 20 yrs.
I didn't catch it if it was in person, zoom phone if that was discussed.

Don't remember exactly who it was, but one of the LE officers. They held up his shirt (size small) and shorts (size 30). I just remember thinking how little he seemed to me for a woman AB's size. I have dated skinny guys but 32 was about the smallest and none wore a small tshirt.
i noted that small size too and have honestly never known a man... family or friend that wears a small. I think he was the type that loved to have it really hug his body that he clearly worked hard on.

I wouldn’t say the state’s case is baffling. The dark haired prosecutor is not well-prepared though. I think these cases are tough for prosecutors because it’s a DV case, the defendant is female, and there’s some grey area. But ultimately, they don’t have to wade into the grey. They can stand on the moment of shooting and whether she was in fear for her life or not. AB has testified and proved she wasn’t and that she’s a liar. That is enough! Why wade into all the drama of this hysterical relationship and risk alienating any jurors? Focus the jurors on the shooting. That’s what they need to close with. We’ve just been in the defense case where there’s been a lot of obfuscation but the key elements remain the same.

JMO

The shooting is the result of a long process/early events.

Ignoring the previous "drama"
is like watching only "The End" credits of a film.

If they were blissfully happy,
there wouldn't be this case to discuss on WS.

And they would be living happily ever after.

JMO

The mom did not give me a good feeling at all. Contacting an attorney that fast was odd.
I know, I know everyone reacts differently but mama didn't even tear up, didn't show any emotions of sadness, grief etc on the stand.
Just remembering that someone was killed by your daughter and in your home to boot conjured up zilch.

She also wasn't cooperative answering LE's questions back when it happened but was given a pass by the defense due to being in shock or something like that.

JMO
I found the prosecution quite baffling.

It's a 2nd degree murder case but ya wouldn't know it from the prosecutors.

It's a 2nd degree murder case but ya wouldn't know it from the prosecutors.
If I watched the first hour of AB's cross examination without any context beforehand whatsoever I would think I was watching DB on trial for domestic abuse charges against AB and O'Donnell was DB's defense attorney and AB was a DV complainant, not a murder defendant.
They don't have to present DB to be some perfect husband who never did anything wrong and every single thing AB says is a lie. The part that would usually be the hardest part of the case has already been proven, there is no dispute that AB shot and killed DB on purpose with a gun. The part they have to prove is that she wasn't acting in self defense, but with a "depraved mind." They've made an unbelievable mess of it!

The shooting is the result of a long process/early events.

Ignoring the previous "drama"
is like watching only "The End" credits of a film.

If they were blissfully happy,
there wouldn't be this case to discuss on WS.

And they would be living happily ever after.

JMO
She said in the past he never physically assaulted her or threatened her life. She claimed when he was waving the gun he pointed it at her during that big fight they had. That was it!

A volatile, immature, dysfunctional relationship is not necessarily DV. Defense is using a bunch of the victim’s bad behavior in the past to justify killing him. She also made unsubstantiated claims of poisoning and physical and sexual abuse of their daughter. These seem to be entirely fabricated by her. It’s not even close to being close to enough to justify what she did. No way. We are certainly watching a fictional story written by the defendant.

JMO

She said in the past he never physically assaulted her or threatened her life. She claimed when he was waving the gun he pointed it at her during that big fight they had. That was it!

A volatile, immature, dysfunctional relationship is not necessarily DV. Defense is using a bunch of the victim’s bad behavior in the past to justify killing him. She also made unsubstantiated claims of poisoning and physical and sexual abuse of their daughter. These seem to be entirely fabricated by her. It’s not even close to being close to enough to justify what she did. No way. We are certainly watching a fictional story written by the defendant.

JMO

There are 3 FACTS that are more than "volatile, immature relationship".

1. torturing pets
2. shooting at home
3. making a hole in the wall by throwing things

Trust me,
even 1 would be enough for Police in my country in Europe for establishing so called Blue Card - for domestic abusers.

I don't even mention shooting, as weapons are illegal in my country.

<modsnip - referenced post was removed for discussing an unapproved YT source>

On another note, I wonder if the mom has a hatred of men based on HER relationship with AB’s father and she fostered that in her daughter? Didn’t the father abandon the family when AB was a toddler?

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 3 FACTS that are more than "volatile, immature relationship".

1. torturing pets
2. shooting at home
3. making a hole in the wall by throwing things

Trust me,
even 1 would be enough for Police in my country in Europe for establishing so called Blue Card - for domestic abusers.

I don't even mention shooting, as weapons are illegal in my country.
So based on these past behaviors she was justified in killing him? That’s not the law in the United States, thankfully. In the United States, we have a high standard for the taking of a life.

What matters is was she in imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury at the time she shot him. It’s that simple. She does not qualify for “battered woman syndrome” per my previous comment about what she testified to about their past. She is not credible either because of her totally fabricated previous allegations and her performance on the stand.

She’s guilty. No question.

JMO

Edited to add: I also think we should acknowledge that Doug was also grieving. He was in turmoil and traumatized as testified to by the couple’s therapist. Men deal with stress and difficult emotions differently. I don’t think it’s fair to label them as domestic abusers because they act aggressively or domineering. These qualities often make men successful in the business world. Obviously I’m not condoning what he did to the animals or firing a gun inside the home. But there’s no indication this was ongoing up to the time of his death. She had lived apart from him for MONTHS at the time she shot him.

Last edited:
I'm going to take the perfect fence-sitting position on this case. I don't believe murder-2 has been proven by the state, I don't believe this jury will be comfortable sending this defendant away for 25 to life but I don't see them being convinced that AB's shooting of DB was entirely lawful either. Let's see what lesser-includeds make it into to jury instruction.

JMO

So based on these past behaviors she was justified in killing him? That’s not the law in the United States, thankfully. In the United States, we have a high standard for the taking of a life.

What matters is was she in imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury at the time she shot him. It’s that simple. She does not qualify for “battered woman syndrome” per my previous comment about what she testified to about their past. She is not credible either because of her totally fabricated previous allegations and her performance on the stand.

She’s guilty. No question.

JMO

Torturing animals seem to indicate complete lack of empathy/higher feelings.
Possible psychopathy.

And yes,
I think when such a person is enraged and blinded by obsession
he could kill.

And IMO,
I believe the defendant feared for her life.

JMO

This may not be a popular opinion but I believe AB planned to take DB out the day of the move and her mom knew about it. AB might have thought a "Stand Your Ground" defense would be an automatic win given DB's past history with the tantrums/destructive behavior and shooting his gun inside the house. IMO, she never thought it would go to trial.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back