FL - Former President Donald Trump indicted, 40 counts, classified documents and obstruction of justice, June 2023, Trial May 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Re the SCIF: I guess some of the documents in question are classified or sensitive and can't be reviewed outside a SCIF.

And the defendant and his attorneys have an apparent need to review them as a part of the case (though I'm not sure I understand why -- the content of the documents isn't the point, but their status as classified and how they were taken/kept/treated by the defendant is)

Anyway, assuming he does have a valid legal need to look at classified docs for this case, why not park a mobile SCIF at Mar-A-Lago? That way it could drive away after the case is complete, rather than providing him free* remodeling services.

* I say free because even if he agrees to pay for it, we all know the chances of him paying that bill is near zero.
I'm not for it because Mar-a-Lago is the scene of the crime. I think classified docs should remain away from the scene and his home turf.

If the defendant is inconvenienced, well, bummer. Most defendants don't find the process convenient.

jmo

I can just imagine if the court was at Mar-a-Lago.

I bet he would act like he's in control of the whole thing, ordering everyone about, even court officials.

I wouldn't even be suprised if he charged a fee for the court being there, and using his premises. A RULY BIG fee.

He'd be so full of himself. He'd go full boss.

I can just imagine if the court was at Mar-a-Lago.

I bet he would act like he's in control of the whole thing, ordering everyone about, even court officials.

I wouldn't even be suprised if he charged a fee for the court being there, and using his premises. A RULY BIG fee.

He'd be so full of himself. He'd go full boss.
Somebody in his circle needs to say that the emperor has no votes.

jmo

Updated 8/18/23.

FL – Classified Papers.
Friday, 8/25/23 – Motions hearing on Section 3- CANCELLED by Judge
Thursday, 9/7/23 - Initial production of classified Discovery
Thursday, 9/14/23 – Status hearing (Joint Discovery status report & Government's CIPA Section 10 Notice)
Tuesday, 10/10/23 - Government's CIPA Section 4 Motion (ex parte) & any defense challenge to Section 4 filing.
Monday, 12/11/23 – Sealed motions hearing re Section 3.
Thursday, 4/11/24 – Motions hearing
Wednesday, 4/17/24 – Motions hearing
Tuesday, 5/14/24 – Jury selection begins
Monday, 5/20/24 – Trial set to begin

Appearing to contradict former President Donald Trump's primary public defense in the classified documents case, former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows has told special counsel Jack Smith's investigators that he could not recall Trump ever ordering, or even discussing, declassifying broad sets of classified materials before leaving the White House, nor was he aware of any "standing order" from Trump authorizing the automatic declassification of materials taken out of the Oval Office, sources familiar with the matter tell ABC News…

ABC News has also reviewed an early draft of the prologue to Meadows' book, "The Chiefs' Chief," about his time serving as Trump's chief of staff for the final months of the Trump White House, which includes a description of Trump having a classified war plan "on the couch" at his office in Bedminster, New Jersey, at a meeting attended by Meadows' ghostwriter and publicist, but not by Meadows himself. The reference to that document being in Trump's possession was removed before the book was published.

Multiple sources tell ABC News Meadows acknowledged to investigators that he asked that the paragraph be changed, and that it would be "problematic" had Trump had such a document in his possession. Sources tell ABC News that Meadows told special counsel investigators that he did not discuss making those edits with Trump…

AUG 20, 2023
[...]

Former Vice President Mike Pence said Sunday he was not made aware of any “broad-based effort to declassify documents,” by former President Trump, knocking down a key defense by Trump in which he denies that he mishandled and hoarded sensitive information after he left the White House.

[...]

The GOP presidential contender’s comments come as ABC News reported Sunday that former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows told federal investigators probing the Mar-a-Lago classified documents case that he did not recall Trump ever ordering or discussing de-classifying documents.

The network reported that when the documents were first requested by the National Archives, Meadows offered to help Trump go through the boxes he had taken from the White House to find and return official records. Sources told ABC News Meadows said Trump did not accept the offer.

[...]

Jack Smith tells Judge Cannon that a witness in Trump's documents case retracted false testimony after switching lawyers.

From the link:

"On July 5, 2023, Trump Employee 4 informed Chief Judge Boasberg that he no longer wished to be represented by Mr. Woodward and that, going forward, he wished to be represented by the First Assistant Federal Defender. Immediately after receiving new counsel, Trump Employee 4 retracted his prior false testimony and provided information that implicated Nauta, De Oliveira, and Trump in efforts to delete security camera footage, as set forth in the superseding indictment."

Jack Smith tells Judge Cannon that a witness in Trump's documents case retracted false testimony after switching lawyers.

I think Judge Cannon's bigger question is why there is still a grand jury in D.C. for the same case that has resulted in a Florida indictment.

Trumpworld lawyers are trying to flip the script in the Mar-a-Lago case, citing “potential grand jury abuse” over the way Department of Justice Special Counsel Jack Smith keeps running what appears to be a parallel investigation in Washington.

And unlike other defense delay tactics, this one could actually affect the Department of Justice’s criminal case against former President Donald Trump for mishandling classified documents and hoarding them at his oceanside Mar-a-Lago estate in South Florida.

Smith now faces increasing pressure from U.S. District Judge Aileen M. Cannon, who was appointed by Trump himself and has already ruled heavily in his favor despite all odds.

“She’s asking questions which are legitimate to be asked,” said University of Missouri law school professor emeritus Frank Bowman. “Although I’ve been pretty critical of previous rulings by Judge Cannon in this case—which are so bad as to have been absolutely inexplicable—nonetheless, at least at this point, there’s nothing untoward in her asking for some explanation of what special counsel’s up to.”

I think Judge Cannon's bigger question is why there is still a grand jury in D.C. for the same case that has resulted in a Florida indictment.

Trumpworld lawyers are trying to flip the script in the Mar-a-Lago case, citing “potential grand jury abuse” over the way Department of Justice Special Counsel Jack Smith keeps running what appears to be a parallel investigation in Washington.

And unlike other defense delay tactics, this one could actually affect the Department of Justice’s criminal case against former President Donald Trump for mishandling classified documents and hoarding them at his oceanside Mar-a-Lago estate in South Florida.

Smith now faces increasing pressure from U.S. District Judge Aileen M. Cannon, who was appointed by Trump himself and has already ruled heavily in his favor despite all odds.

“She’s asking questions which are legitimate to be asked,” said University of Missouri law school professor emeritus Frank Bowman. “Although I’ve been pretty critical of previous rulings by Judge Cannon in this case—which are so bad as to have been absolutely inexplicable—nonetheless, at least at this point, there’s nothing untoward in her asking for some explanation of what special counsel’s up to.”
The D.C. grand jury finished last week.

From the link:

"On July 5, 2023, Trump Employee 4 informed Chief Judge Boasberg that he no longer wished to be represented by Mr. Woodward and that, going forward, he wished to be represented by the First Assistant Federal Defender. Immediately after receiving new counsel, Trump Employee 4 retracted his prior false testimony and provided information that implicated Nauta, De Oliveira, and Trump in efforts to delete security camera footage, as set forth in the superseding indictment."

Is someone not paying this Employee's legal fees after all? I hope that there is no implication that the lawyer was suggesting his/her client give a false testimony.

Last edited:

Yuscil Taveras, the director of information technology at Mar-a-Lago, changed his testimony in July regarding efforts to delete security camera footage at Trump’s Florida club after changing from a lawyer paid for by Trump’s Save America PAC to a public defender, according to Tuesday's filing.

The filing identifies Taveras as “Trump Employee 4.” NBC News previously reported that Taveras is employee No. 4.

Taveras is at least the second person to offer new testimony after switching from an attorney with ties to Trump. Cassidy Hutchinson, a former aide to then-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, gave investigators from the House Jan. 6 committee more damaging testimony about Trump and Meadows' conduct in the leadup to the Capitol riot after parting ways with her first Trump-allied lawyer.

The judge overseeing Donald Trump's classified documents case should hold a hearing to discuss potential conflicts of interest among the lawyers involved in the proceedings, after a Mar-a-Lago employee flipped on the former president, a legal expert has said.

Legal analyst and former federal prosecutor Joyce Vance was reacting to news that Yuscil Taveras, an IT director at Trump's Florida resort, has retracted "his prior false testimony" and now says the former president and two others charged in the classified documents case, Trump aide Walt Nauta and maintenance worker Carlos De Oliveira, did take steps to delete security camera footage that had been sought by federal prosecutors.

Trump, Nauta and De Oliveira have pleaded not guilty to all the charges against them in the classified documents case, including obstruction allegations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back