FL FL - Fort Lauderdale, WhtMale 1176UMFL, 21-30, 'US Paratrooper' tattoo, May'84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh duh! I hadn't gone back through the thread and looked. Ya'll are all on the same track lol!
Does the pic match up with the newspaper sketch?
I just found some family info. It looks like he is still missing.

Picture is ambiguous. Not really a match but not prohibitive either.

eta: can you refresh my memory about the E1 thing? I remember talking about it but couldn't find it scrolling back through the thread.

Last edited:
Yes, I sent his information & pic into the coroner asking if they had any PM pictures to compare the one I found to. I also mentioned DDP, too.I never heard back, but I'm not surprised.

Florida is generally not big on replies. I try to be generous and attribute it to heavy workload and assuming we know they'll do the right thing.

Yea, I kinda figured the same, that they would at least take a look at what I emailed them, even if I don't hear back.

I don't think we talked about the E1 thing but it's his rank, and it's an entry level rank. You can move up in rank E2, E3 etc with work, time in, and training and then get in trouble and get busted down a rank or two as well. Assuming the tattoos are telling his personal story he shouldn't be an E1.
The missing person (deserter) was an honor grad per the news clip. It's odd to me he worked that hard and then ran off. If he isn't this JD then maybe he is another one over in the Texas or Missouri areas.
I generally assume people are dead if they have been gone that long though, and we all know that is far from true in some identified cases.
A deserter from Kansas (1956) was apparently just found to have lived into his 80's in Canada so.......it happens!
Army Ranks For Enlisted Personnel

I don't think we talked about the E1 thing but it's his rank, and it's an entry level rank. You can move up in rank E2, E3 etc with work, time in, and training and then get in trouble and get busted down a rank or two as well. Assuming the tattoos are telling his personal story he shouldn't be an E1.
The missing person (deserter) was an honor grad per the news clip. It's odd to me he worked that hard and then ran off. If he isn't this JD then maybe he is another one over in the Texas or Missouri areas.
I generally assume people are dead if they have been gone that long though, and we all know that is far from true in some identified cases.
A deserter from Kansas (1956) was apparently just found to have lived into his 80's in Canada so.......it happens!
Army Ranks For Enlisted Personnel

Unless he got the ink for his first promotion and then for some reason didn't get new ones?

Unless he got the ink for his first promotion and then for some reason didn't get new ones?

I was thinking something similar. My nephew is in the military, and was on track to be one specialization, but mouthed off, got demoted and sent to a different duty. He's a tattoo artist, and I can see him doing something like that -giving himself a tattoo for that first job before he finished training, and then ending up somewhere else.
I was also thinking the tats could be a tribute to another family member who may have been a paratrooper. Is that a possibility, too?

I was thinking something similar. My nephew is in the military, and was on track to be one specialization, but mouthed off, got demoted and sent to a different duty. He's a tattoo artist, and I can see him doing something like that -giving himself a tattoo for that first job before he finished training, and then ending up somewhere else.
I was also thinking the tats could be a tribute to another family member who may have been a paratrooper. Is that a possibility, too?

I would think so, but I don't have any military relations, so I'm just guessing. But I would expect a tribute to have something specific to the person--name, nickname, something.

I'm boosting a post for him on my FB page. Fingers crossed.
I also reached out to the Airborne Division Association but I haven't gotten a response yet.

I am amazed that they have his 10card listed on NAMUS but still haven't gotten an ID. I know those prints looked a little rough, but I figured they would still hit with his military records.

I am amazed that they have his 10card listed on NAMUS but still haven't gotten an ID. I know those prints looked a little rough, but I figured they would still hit with his military records.

I don't think they will hit until we get a name for them to compare prints to.

I asked twice if his prints have been checked against Deserters from that time frame but I've not gotten a response yet.

I'm thinking his prints in NamUs hitting on the prints in his military records would depend on both sets of prints being digitized and put in the same db.
IIRC, from what Carbuff has said, a lot of military fingerprints were destroyed in a fire and most are still on cards, not in a db.

The FBI was stepping up their game and trying to catch up with inputting fingerprints. They are using new technology to enhance prints and have had some success with the updates.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
craig21876
Back