FL FL - 'Fort Myers 8' (1 now UID) WhtMales Buried in Woods, Mar'07

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi all!!

I was looking at the Doe Network and am wondering if they did any comparision to this guy 1035UMFL to this guy Karl Eppler 1311DMFL - Kyle Andrew Carl Eppler. Let me know what you all think!!

chaddylex

Here's the link:

1311DMFL - Kyle Andrew Carl Eppler

I checked it out and my first instinct is it's unrelated. Conahan was already in prison by then and the 8 bodies discovered in Fort Myers were almost certainly his victims. I think the 8 bodies were dated to 1995-96 at the latest. <modsnip: broken link>

I think they'll disclose at some point that these 8 men were "Hog Trail" victims.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all!!

I was looking at the Doe Network and am wondering if they did any comparision to this guy 1035UMFL to this guy Karl Eppler 1311DMFL - Kyle Andrew Carl Eppler. Let me know what you all think!!

chaddylex

I don't know if anyone on the site has gone through the various networks looking for men that disappeared around 1994-1996 (who were living/working around Lee County, Collier County or Charlotte County).

I bet somewhere out there, at least one of the remaining 5 unidentified victims has been reported missing.

Thanks Bud!

They should definitely check out the day laborers, I remember thats where Jon got work from all the time. I could probably even let Barry know which one he frequently used.

And I agree about it looking like Conahan's work, sick and sad, but true :(

Yes, it's almost certainly more victims of Dan Conahan. Everything falls too neatly into place. I haven't heard one reason why these 8 men could NOT be his victims... and so many reasons why they could.

I think the day laborer angle will definitely yield more leads, concerning the remaining 5 men who have not yet been ID'd. I'm from Collier County, originally, but living in San Diego now. If I was in the area, I'd check out that lead myself since I'm not confident it's been researched very thoroughly.

Anyone heard anything new on this?

Found a new article (from yesterday 04-14-09) with new sketches of the 5 unidentified men. <modsnip: broken link>

Ft. Myers Police are asking for help in ID'ing the remaining five unidentified Fort Myers Eight. <modsnip: broken link>

ETA: Here are the DoeNet links for each of the remaining five.

1031UMFL
1033UMFL
1035UMFL
1036UMFL
1037UMFL

Don't rely too heavily on the sculpted recons, as the three that were identified looked nothing like their respective sculptures. I don't know whether they resembled the pencil sketch reconstructions.

Namus links

This guy just showed up today in NamUs:

Frank Estes Powell

He fits pretty closely to this guy from the Fort Myers 8:

DoeNetwork Case 1033UMFL 1033UMFL
NamUs UP Case 7630 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

2131463060045078242S200x200Q851.jpg
2934671120045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2505335580045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

His distinctive features are his prominent nose, strong cheekbones and very narrow jawline. This John Doe has similarly distinctive facial features.

His height and age are within range. He also has history of orthodontics, as does John Doe.

The one negative is the timeframe. Frank was last heard from in Dec'05. The FM-8 were found in Mar'07. They were believed to have died from 1980 to 2000. I don't know what they are basing the estimate on, but the one-year timeframe is quite a bit off from the 5-7 year estimated postmortem interval.

Carl, I think we like the same cases. Please submit this, even though the time frame is off. His nose, my gosh. I think that they look very similar. I think that he looks more like the sketch though. How do I add the images here?

Carl, I think we like the same cases. Please submit this, even though the time frame is off. His nose, my gosh. I think that they look very similar. I think that he looks more like the sketch though. How do I add the images here?

I did send an e-mail to Pamela Strassel earlier today.

Here is the side-by-side with the drawing.

2131463060045078242S200x200Q851.jpg
2508632880045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

:eek:fftopic: To answer your other question:

If you want to post an image that appears on another website you usually can right-click the image from the other site and select "Properties" (if using MS Internet Explorer) or "Copy Image Location" (if using Firefox, as I do). You can then copy the URL of the image and post the image to WS by pasting the URL into a message between "".
However, for some reason, images taken from DoeNetwork don't always appear correctly. So I usually upload the images to my Webshots account before posting them here. That way, I have five size options for my images, and they don't disappear from the WS forum if the source image goes offline.

Thank for the information, Carl. I have not uploaded images in along time, so I just saved the Doe Network stuff to my pc and attached it. I had completely forgotten how to do that.

They were both relatively short, and the pictures of Elmer are when he was younger, maybe he would have looked like that when he was a bit older. I think the shape of the face is similar, especially the protruding left cheekbone. How do I submit it?

How do I submit it?

I put together an e-mail and sent it to Pamela Strassel (pstrassel@leegov.com).

Be sure to include links to both the NamUs and DoeNet pages for the UID, and to your DoeNet page for Elmer Knoll.

Also, it's a good idea to keep your message concise and state in bullet points your reasons why you think it's a match.

Carl,

I am glad that I am not the only one who noticed that the sculpted busts look almost all alike. I think that the sketches are actually better. I am going to see if I can find the the three indentified victims, and post them side by side with their busts. I know two of them, Tihay, and Kohler, but I cannot remember the third. At least it will keep the thread going. I sent in the tip, too. I hope it leads somewhere, even if it is just something to look into, should it not pan out. :fence:
The third was Blevins.

This site is near Red Sox fields?

Red Sox Fields at City of Palms Park? The remains were found off a dirt Road called Arcadia Street. It is about 3.3 miles from City of Palms Park in Ft. Myers.

Carl,

I am glad that I am not the only one who noticed that the sculpted busts look almost all alike. I think that the sketches are actually better. I am going to see if I can find the the three indentified victims, and post them side by side with their busts. I know two of them, Tihay, and Kohler, but I cannot remember the third. At least it will keep the thread going. I sent in the tip, too. I hope it leads somewhere, even if it is just something to look into, should it not pan out. :fence:
The third was Blevins.

They all are way off, IMO.

Here are the three:

Jonathan Tihay

Eric Kohler

John Blevins

Johnathon Tihay, originally from Aurora, Illinois, was living in Ft. Myers at the time of his disappearance. Family last heard from him in Oct of 1995. DOB 11/07/1970.

Erik Kohler was living in Ft. Myers at the time of his disappearance, I think it was around 1995. DOB 06/23/1974

Attachments

• kohler_content.jpg
    kohler_content.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 69
  • victimEfront_cte_t75_75.jpg
    victimEfront_cte_t75_75.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 251
  • TihayJonathan___t220.jpg
    TihayJonathan___t220.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 25
  • bones2_t220.jpg
    bones2_t220.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 23
Red Sox Fields at City of Palms Park? The remains were found off a dirt Road called Arcadia Street. It is about 3.3 miles from City of Palms Park in Ft. Myers.

They have a player development center at 4301 Edison right near Arcadia...just didnt know if site was near the building itself..

<modsnip: broken link>

Grass and wildflowers have grown over the former crime scene and tips have slowed to a crawl and Fort Myers police are no closer to figuring out what happened to eight homicide victims whose bones were uncovered in 2007.

A surveyor was working in a secluded area of woods off Arcadia Street on March 23, 2007, when he stumbled across two human skulls. Fort Myers police and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement were called to the scene, where the investigation snowballed to eventually reveal bones from eight victims. Now, five years later, only three of those people have been identified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back