GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't ever meet Dan or Wendi, but I did have some friends in common with Dan. One of those friends told me about "this awful girl named Wendi" that she met at a potluck dinner.
When Dan and Wendi got to the party, Wendi carried her dish into the kitchen. My friends said it looked delicious, and someone asked Wendi if it was kosher. She said no, it wasn't, but don't tell Dan, that she always lied to him about food being kosher, and that she thought it was hilarious that he'd eat it.

Looks like she started that lie at the wedding.
Again, these two seem terribly mismatched to me. Seems to me like the fact that you keep kosher would be something you’d say pretty early on in dating. It’s a big deal, and could be a dealbreaker for some. You would want to get that out there and make sure you were on the same page. If your spouse gradually became more observant as the marriage went on, and it wasn’t something you had agreed to, I think that would merit a serious discussion.

Yes I was struck by Charlie parading these Asian women (seems his true preference) at family events and clearly they were pretty exotic and not exactly the girl a jewish mother imagines her son brings home....and Donna is okay with all of it. She was fine putting Katie on the payroll but no work required. Oh right that is the payment schedule to the Latin Kings. YOu can't make this stuff up. He arranges boob jobs and everything!!! Charlie did it all.
Exactly! Why were these women good enough for Charlie but not Robert? Why was Dan not good enough even though he was Jewish? Donna has some very strange ideas.

I didn't ever meet Dan or Wendi, but I did have some friends in common with Dan. One of those friends told me about "this awful girl named Wendi" that she met at a potluck dinner.
When Dan and Wendi got to the party, Wendi carried her dish into the kitchen. My friends said it looked delicious, and someone asked Wendi if it was kosher. She said no, it wasn't, but don't tell Dan, that she always lied to him about food being kosher, and that she thought it was hilarious that he'd eat it.

So there's a bad foundation for a marriage right there. Since Wendi knew that Dan was kosher, she shouldn't have married him. It was always going to be a major issue. She should have kept looking for other fish in the sea.

Awful, sad, and gross. He was very open/proud about his level of religious observance and was clearly keeping kosher well before they got married, before they even met. He wasn't hiding the ball. (I'm an old friend -- these are facts.)

This was something very obvious in his life, and very important to him. Truly unclear why they decided to get married if this was going to be an issue. (In fact, he set me up with a friend of his who was very kind and accomplished, but too observant for me. It took exactly one date for me to figure out that it wasn't going to work.)

Okay, thanks for the correction. I could have sworn the killers rented the same car that LaCasse owned, but I'm probably misremembering or confusing it with another case.
I'm sure I read somewhere that LaCasse drove a silver Nissan Sentra and that Luis and Sigfredo rented a silver Nissan Sentra for the first, failed, attempt on Dan's life. Why would they go out of their way to rent that car if nobody (Wendy) had said what kind of car her boyfriend drove?

Great news that a Grand Jury might be meeting this week. The sooner the better!

Can I ask about KM, and her testimony? Do you think it helped to convict CA? Do you think she should get some reduction of her sentence for testifying?

Great news that a Grand Jury might be meeting this week. The sooner the better!

Can I ask about KM, and her testimony? Do you think it helped to convict CA? Do you think she should get some reduction of her sentence for testifying?
She will get something for sure. She was useful for the prosecution's case despite the lies that she did on the prior trials (the transcripts in Charlie's trial made it in because of her). Though, I have a feeling she's holding back and was not 100% truthful about everything that she knows. She forgets about the amount of money she received, etc. Especially with Rivera testifying about her involvement:

1) the phone call with Sigfredo to her, saying "It's done" and she said "I know".
2) the picture of an owl/lion that had to be taken down in instagram at the time of the murder

Whatever the case, she's now a convicted felon.

I'm reminded of the totally cringe song Danny Rolling (the Gainsville Ripper) sang to True Crime author Sondra London during a court hearing after being convicted as a serial killer. It was disgusting watching London describing him as a "gentle" man who had captured her heart though she was very aware that after raping and butchering one of his victims he returned to her apartment and decapitated the corpse so he could pose the head on a shelf to "increase the shock" experienced by whomever would first discover the body.

OH EM GEE - I'd never heard about this and just watched the video and it's both cringe and icky. I was also wondering if they were in someone's basement (it looked like a 1970s rec room!) and how was she able to stand so close to him?
And sadly, now I think that's going to be an ear worm for me today,. UGH

Yes I was struck by Charlie parading these Asian women (seems his true preference) at family events and clearly they were pretty exotic and not exactly the girl a jewish mother imagines her son brings home....and Donna is okay with all of it. She was fine putting Katie on the payroll but no work required. Oh right that is the payment schedule to the Latin Kings. YOu can't make this stuff up. He arranges boob jobs and everything!!! Charlie did it all.
Boob job -- singular. According to June's testimony, he told her that he had only paid for one of the two for Katie's "enhancement."
Well, we know he's fond of the installment plan for his arrangements. (Lol!)

Boob job -- singular. According to June's testimony, he told her that he had only paid for one of the two for Katie's "enhancement."
That means, if true, that he paid half the price for a boob job, right? I mean, nobody buys that by the boob.

If he said it, it sounds to me like another one of his “jokes.” “He’s a jokester.” —WA

She will get something for sure. She was useful for the prosecution's case despite the lies that she did on the prior trials (the transcripts in Charlie's trial made it in because of her). Though, I have a feeling she's holding back and was not 100% truthful about everything that she knows. She forgets about the amount of money she received, etc. Especially with Rivera testifying about her involvement:

They'll have to balance the fact that KM delayed justice in this case by at least five years (so far) because she refused to tell the truth multiple times under oath. No doubt this has cost the State/taxpayers millions not to mention the emotional strain on the Markels, and it provided additional years of freedom to the perpetrators. Even in the recently released proffer interviews, she had trouble getting out of her lying patterns.

One immediate favor they can do is move her closer to South Florida where it would be easier for her family to visit. If they reduce her sentence to 30Y, she could be out in 2046, with 6 years already served.

It would be interesting to see more of Charlies bevy of asian women....the two we have seen are indeed very similar...other than one involved with a gang member. Bet there are a string of them all looking similar. Over my history of watching trials I have noted how often it is a "dentist" that commits the murder or at least makes the headlines. Locally we have had a few. I assume Harvey is no longer practicing and this "family dental practice" is closed. Some choice comments about the Adelson Institute on Yelp. One mentioning their expertise in putting people "to sleep"!

Awful, sad, and gross. He was very open/proud about his level of religious observance and was clearly keeping kosher well before they got married, before they even met. He wasn't hiding the ball. (I'm an old friend -- these are facts.)

This was something very obvious in his life, and very important to him. Truly unclear why they decided to get married if this was going to be an issue. (In fact, he set me up with a friend of his who was very kind and accomplished, but too observant for me. It took exactly one date for me to figure out that it wasn't going to work.)
Sadly, lots of people think they can change a person, or their habits, once they're married.

Marriage is hard and neither of them were with the right person so they were both probably hard to live with.

That means, if true, that he paid half the price for a boob job, right? I mean, nobody buys that by the boob.

If he said it, it sounds to me like another one of his “jokes.” “He’s a jokester.” —WA
I heard him say that..."paid for one"" and yes even under the legal circumstances this guy thinks he is funny and so "cute".....until that is it all backfired on him. I actually think he had 1/2 a chance to confuse the jury enough to hand them except for the testimony of Katie. She really tied together all the stories and was the most credible. She still knows more and I think it is worth working "with" her to go after Donna and Wendi. She knows way more than has come out about those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck