GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Magbanua was returned to prison today. Which doesn't mean that they aren't seeking a GJ indictment against Donna on Wednesday but....its weird that they'd keep her in Leon County for a week after trial and then NOT use her in a GJ hearing.

Yes, there is no known substantial DA-KM linkage so I don't think KM would be needed in a GJ to indict DA. KM's diaper bag story wouldn't be relevant, for example, and I'm not sure about the strength of the damp money evidence either.

I suspect Dan proposed with the holocaust ring but from his lawyers questions - he calls them both engagement rings - it sounds like she got married with and traditionally wore her grandmothers ring as her wedding ring. It seems most likely to me that she was holding this holocaust ring hostage, or as Donna would put it "as a chit on their side" to either have leverage or to psychologically torture him or both.

"Her widow" = the aunt's widow = the uncle.
But a man who loses his wife is a "widower" -- or do I have that wrong? A woman who loses her husband is a "widow."

Watched the second half of Katie’s second proffer. She’s a little more relaxed and chatty, but she doesnt give them much. She has so far told them nothing about her own actions in furtherance except that Sig asked her for money before each trip and she got it from Charlie. She doesn’t even say she knew it was for a trip. She doesnt mention going with them to rent the cars, she doesnr mention talking to Sig on the phone while they were in Tally, nothing.

Her story is that Charlie asked her if she knew someone who could hurt someone. She said yes. Charlie gave her an envelope, told her not to look inside, she put it in her diaper bag. Sigfredo came over and took it from the bag. He asked her for money for expenses, she gave it to him. A while later, he asked her again, she gave it to him. At that point, and not before, she somehow knew it was going to be a murder and not just roughing up. One night after that, Charlie called her and told her to come over. She got there, he said his parents had been there earlier. They fell asleep. In the morning he gave her stapled cash and she took it to Sigfredo and Rivera. Then she gave the matter no further thought until the bump. When that happened, she didn’t even know what Charlie was talking about, and so she had to ask Sig to figure out who was doing this.

That story comes pretty close to the story they used at her trial, that this was arranged between Charlie and Sig and she had nothing to do with it. It makes her look pretty good. They should have gone with it rather than try to claim that Sig and Charlie spoke directly. Did she think that she was kept out of it enough that she would not be culpable?

I believe Luis, who says she was the one passing all info to Sig and in constant communication with them. She doesn’t want to say that.

They would know if they recall the last 3 selected. Generally, the alternates are selected in the order in which they were called. In this case, there were 15 jurors selected: 12 on regular panel and 3 alternate jurors. In Florida, an alternate juror who does not replace a principal juror shall be discharged when the jury retires to consider the verdict.

i was under the impression that there were 6 deliberating jurors for this civil case

i was under the impression that there were 6 deliberating jurors for this civil case
Sorry, I thought you were referring to the Criminal case FL vs CA.

Kendall Brandt
@kendallbrandttv

I am in the jury room while Judge Everett, prosecutors and Adelson defense attorneys discuss the potential jurors in the current pool. They have eliminated four for cause. 17 are still remaining in this panel. They need to seat 12 jurors and 3 alternates.
@abc27

7:57 AM · Oct 25, 2023

It was a criminal case, not a civil case, and because he was charged with a capital crime (although the prosecutor chose not to seek the death penalty), he was entitled to a 12 person jury.

913.10 Number of jurors.—Twelve persons shall constitute a jury to try all capital cases, and six persons shall constitute a jury to try all other criminal cases. 2022 Florida Statutes :: Title XLVII - Criminal Procedure and Corrections :: Chapter 913 - Trial Jury :: 913.10 - Number of Jurors.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the Criminal case FL vs CA.

Kendall Brandt
@kendallbrandttv

I am in the jury room while Judge Everett, prosecutors and Adelson defense attorneys discuss the potential jurors in the current pool. They have eliminated four for cause. 17 are still remaining in this panel. They need to seat 12 jurors and 3 alternates.
@abc27

7:57 AM · Oct 25, 2023
This trial watcher is watching too many trials...I was thinking about the Maya Kowalski case. Of course you are right 12

At the suggestion of Surviving the Survivor, I am listening to Wendi Adelson's police interrogation. I heard the critique by STS and panelists. They were none too complimentary of Wendi. I'm getting the real picture of who she really is now. I no longer believe that she didn't know ahead of time that the hit was going to happen on Dan. You can tell that the detective, right off the bat, thinks that she has something to do with it. I can hear the disdain in his voice when he speaks to her.

One of the STS panelists spoke of her "blue" eyes. He said, "Which are fake."

At the suggestion of Surviving the Survivor, I am listening to Wendi Adelson's police interrogation. I heard the critique by STS and panelists. They were none too complimentary of Wendi. I'm getting the real picture of who she really is now. I no longer believe that she didn't know ahead of time that the hit was going to happen on Dan. You can tell that the detective, right off the bat, thinks that she has something to do with it. I can hear the disdain in his voice when he speaks to her.
Dan’s divorce lawyer was on STS and he said he got a call from someone he knew at the police department advising him of the shooting immediately after it happened. They knew about the divorce before they spoke to her.

The whole thing is weird. If you didn’t know when you watched it, you’d think it was the current wife, and not the ex. Just my opinion, but that’s definitely the vibe I get. They gave her a victim advocate! They are talking to her like she is a wife whose husband has been shot. They do say they are trying to rule her out as a suspect. But she is under no obligation to stay there.

Last edited:
Given that they had been separated for about two years, it’s strange that they made such an effort to find her and talk to her right away, although I guess she was the closest family he had there. But you’d think they would just call her to come in, like they did with other people. Going to the restaurant and surprising her like that might have been a strategy to get to her before she could lawyer up. They took her car, so she pretty much had to go with them. I only say this because, when they looked into finding her, they would likely have found out about the divorce and how contentious it was. Dan’s divorce lawyer was on STS and he said he got a call from someone he knew at the police department advising him of the shooting immediately after it happened. It’s a small town.

I don’t know what a typical ex wife would do in that situation, but I imagine some would say “that’s terrible! What happened? Where is he? Are the kids ok? I dont know who would do this, but we’ve been separates for a while. Am I free to go now? I’ve got to get to my kids!” Absolutely nothing was keeping her there, and nothing required her to give them her phone. And she volunteered her computer, before even being asked, which had Donna’s emails on it.
If I recall correctly, she didn't know they had towed her car from the restaurant to the police station until she was in the interview. I think they asked if they could search it during the interview and she seemed surprised to learn that they already had possession of the car and had towed it. My guess is that she was shocked that LE showed up at the restaurant. JMO.

If I recall correctly, she didn't know they had towed her car from the restaurant to the police station until she was in the interview. I think they asked if they could search it during the interview and she seemed surprised to learn that they already had possession of the car and had towed it. My guess is that she was shocked that LE showed up at the restaurant. JMO.
She was. I’m wondering if they intentionally caught her off guard like that. Seems to me like they didn’t want her to have time to wash her hands or erase anything on her phone, and they wanted to capture her immediate reaction on tape.

ETA- I don’t remember seeing this part where she talks to Jane. She tells Jane that when they came to the restaurant, she asked them right away if the kids were OK, and they told her they were. I don’t recall hearing that before. She says they told her they wanted to talk to her about her husband, and she had to tell them it was her ex-husband. Interesting. Is this a new video, or did I just not watch this part before?

Last edited:
She was. I’m wondering if they intentionally caught her off guard like that. Seems to me like they didn’t want her to have time to wash her hands or erase anything on her phone, and they wanted to capture her immediate reaction on tape.

ETA- I don’t remember seeing this part where she talks to Jane. She tells Jane that when they came to the restaurant, she asked them right away if the kids were OK, and they told her they were. I don’t recall hearing that before. She says they told her they wanted to talk to her about her husband, and she had to tell them it was her ex-husband. Interesting. Is this a new video, or did I just not watch this part before?
I doubt it's new, but I never managed to watch the whole (long) video. I just couldn't take watching it for that long. For sure it was LE's strategy to catch her off guard and get her back to the station in front of a camera. JMO.

I doubt it's new, but I never managed to watch the whole (long) video. I just couldn't take watching it for that long. For sure it was LE's strategy to catch her off guard and get her back to the station in front of a camera. JMO.
She volunteers to let them have her computer. If she had not done that, they would not have gotten Donna’s emails.

Last edited:
Did she let them search her vehicle? Or maybe she though it was just "valet" service by the PD, so she could get in it and drive home after her interrogation/interview.

Last edited:

This video says it was posted "13 days ago", but as you know the interrogation (interview) occurred the very day of Dan Markel's murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member