GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not believe this article has been posted yet - if so - just scroll on by! :)

Nov. 28, 2023
A locked-up Charlie Adelson spent an astonishing amount of time on the phone with his mom — and perhaps others using her cell — in the roughly week-long span between his conviction and her arrest in the murder of their former in-law, Dan Markel.
[.....]
Charlie Adelson’s call log from the Leon County Detention Facility, obtained by the Tallahassee Democrat through a public records request, shows he racked up 2,118 minutes — more than 35 hours — in jail calls during that fateful week. He made a total of 86 phone calls, though some were not completed, all to the same phone number, which according to court records belongs to Donna Adelson.

a lot more in article.

I do not believe this article has been posted yet - if so - just scroll on by! :)

Nov. 28, 2023
A locked-up Charlie Adelson spent an astonishing amount of time on the phone with his mom — and perhaps others using her cell — in the roughly week-long span between his conviction and her arrest in the murder of their former in-law, Dan Markel.
[.....]
Charlie Adelson’s call log from the Leon County Detention Facility, obtained by the Tallahassee Democrat through a public records request, shows he racked up 2,118 minutes — more than 35 hours — in jail calls during that fateful week. He made a total of 86 phone calls, though some were not completed, all to the same phone number, which according to court records belongs to Donna Adelson.

a lot more in article.

From Oct. 23 through Nov. 6, Charlie Adelson made a total of 116 phone calls to his mom’s phone totaling more than 2,343 minutes or just over 39 hours. Some 90% of the calls were made starting the night of his conviction and running through his mom’s arrest.

Five of the calls were flagged as “three-way call detected,”the records show. Under the jail’s 2017 inmate guide, which is being revised, third-party calls are not allowed.

The single longest call — which lasted nearly two hours —occurred on Nov. 7, the day after the conviction of Charlie Adelson, who faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison. The day of his mom's arrest, he spent nearly two and a half hours on the phone.

Fascinating. A Tallahassee Democrat reporter actually called the number of one of CA's contacts from the records. A male answered (could have been HA) and said [paraphrasing] "I'd love to talk to you but not now."

Article also mentions that with tablets introduced during COVID, inmates can make as many calls as they want, as long as they have the funds.

There's a lot of talk and people urgently want everyone involved in the murder brought to justice, but let's be realistic. The prosecution has been patient. They now have either convicted or arrested everyone alleged to be a co-conspirator except for WA. Right now, CA seems delusional enough to believe that his appeal can succeed. But his appellate attorney will not be Rashbaum, who seems to be an attorney for the entire family. His new attorney will definitely point out to CA that he has a card to play that would 100% allow him to avoid serving life- cooperating. Or, CA can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (of his money that he loves to stare at) for appeals, with a 1% chance of success... and then hope that in the meantime, nothing breaks in the case that would make him irrelevant or unnecessary to the prosecution- which could definitely happen.

He probably at least files an initial appeal. But, the world looks different from state prison than it does from the relatively comfy (by comparison) Leon County Jail, and CA's worldview could evolve pretty quickly once everything sinks in. CA must know that Sigfredo Garcia turned down offers to cooperate and will now die in prison.

DA's trial won't be until 2025 or 2026. It's pretty clear that she's sunk, no matter what CA does. Cappleman suggested he had a savior complex, so he will take this hard. His crazy defense theory (I'm assuming he cooked that dumb story up) failed completely and the person he was trying to protect (DA) was arrested a few days later. CA is now a defeated narcissist- in other words, a loser.

I don't understand people that simultaneously say that CA is a malignant narcissist and also that he will dutifully spend the rest of his life in prison for his sister. We learned from June Umchinda that CA and WA are estranged because of this case. CA's father is 80, his mother is 73 and DA is obviously not well. CA will never speak to DA again. And, based on life expectancy, both DA and HA will be gone in a few years. So at some point, I think CA does what is in his own best interest. There's a witness quoted in a police report that claims CA has a habit of accumulating dirt on people and blackmailing them with it later. If he has any such evidence regarding WA, she has to very anxious that he'll use it to cut a deal- and there's no end in sight, because this could happen in 5 weeks, 5 months, or 5 years. Imagine living day-to-day with this hanging over your head?

In the meantime LE continues to investigate- and CA"s conviction (and DA's arrest) will almost certainly compel more witnesses to come forward. LE and SAO have spent years convicting the bottom rung of the conspiracy (LR, SG, KM)...and then CA. But now they have plenty of time to re-focus their attention specifically on DA and WA. It was encouraging to hear Jack Campbell say that some evidence in the case has not been publicly disclosed. So even if CA doesn't flip, I think the SAO will bring an even stronger case in the future.

Something is going to break loose, it's just a matter of time. In the meantime, it's a hellscape for anyone who was involved in this murder.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot of talk and people urgently want everyone involved in the murder brought to justice, but let's be realistic. The prosecution has been patient. They now have either convicted or arrested everyone alleged to be a co-conspirator except for WA. Right now, CA seems delusional enough to believe that his appeal can succeed. But his appellate attorney will not be Rashbaum, who seems to be an attorney for the entire family. His new attorney will definitely point out to CA that he has a card to play that would 100% allow him to avoid serving life- cooperating. Or, CA can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (of his money that he loves to stare at) for appeals, with a 1% chance of success... and then hope that in the meantime, nothing breaks in the case that would make him irrelevant or unnecessary to the prosecution- which could definitely happen.

He probably at least files an initial appeal. But, the world looks different from state prison than it does from the relatively comfy (by comparison) Leon County Jail, and CA's worldview could evolve pretty quickly once everything sinks in. CA must know that Sigfredo Garcia turned down offers to cooperate and will now die in prison.

DA's trial won't be until 2025 or 2026. It's pretty clear that she's sunk, no matter what CA does. Cappleman suggested he had a savior complex, so he will take this hard. His crazy defense theory (I'm assuming he cooked that dumb story up) failed completely and the person he was trying to protect (DA) was arrested a few days later. CA is now a defeated narcissist- in other words, a loser.

I don't understand people that simultaneously say that CA is a malignant narcissist and also that he will dutifully spend the rest of his life in prison for his sister. We learned from June Umchinda that CA and WA are estranged because of this case. CA's father is 80, his mother is 73 and DA is obviously not well. CA will never speak to DA again. And, based on life expectancy, both DA and HA will be gone in a few years. So at some point, I think CA does what is in his own best interest. There's a witness quoted in a police report that claims CA has a habit of accumulating dirt on people and blackmailing them with it later. If he has any such evidence regarding WA, she has to very anxious that he'll use it to cut a deal- and there's no end in sight, because this could happen in 5 weeks, 5 months, or 5 years. Imagine living day-to-day with this hanging over your head?

In the meantime LE continues to investigate- and CA"s conviction (and DA's arrest) will almost certainly compel more witnesses to come forward. LE and SAO have spent years convicting the bottom rung of the conspiracy (LR, SG, KM)...and then CA. But now they have plenty of time to re-focus their attention specifically on DA and WA. It was encouraging to hear Jack Campbell say that some evidence in the case has not been publicly disclosed. So even if CA doesn't flip, I think the SAO will bring an even stronger case in the future.

Something is going to break loose, it's just a matter of time. In the meantime, it's a hellscape for anyone who was involved in this murder.

I can't leave HA out of the mix. There are some pretty incriminating phone calls he was privy to with DA and CA and tend to show he was as upset as DA about the “Bump”. There's also his lunch with CA and the money drop at CA's house. Mr Money Bags played a large role in this murder for hire.

CA must know that Sigfredo Garcia turned down offers to cooperate and will now die in prison.
I hadn't heard about any proffers to SG. I thought the deal with Riviere was enough to find SG guilty, and that KM was the focus of proffers, since she was the link to CA.

IMO, the state wouldn't want to make a sweet deal with the man who actually fired the bullets into Dan's head.

JMO

I can't leave HA out of the mix. There are some pretty incriminating phone calls he was privy to with DA and CA and tend to show he was as upset as DA about the “Bump”. There's also his lunch with CA and the money drop at CA's house. Mr Money Bags played a large role in this murder for hire.
Why didn’t they arrest him with Donna? Do they still believe they don’t have enough?

From Oct. 23 through Nov. 6, Charlie Adelson made a total of 116 phone calls to his mom’s phone totaling more than 2,343 minutes or just over 39 hours. Some 90% of the calls were made starting the night of his conviction and running through his mom’s arrest.

Five of the calls were flagged as “three-way call detected,”the records show. Under the jail’s 2017 inmate guide, which is being revised, third-party calls are not allowed.

The single longest call — which lasted nearly two hours —occurred on Nov. 7, the day after the conviction of Charlie Adelson, who faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison. The day of his mom's arrest, he spent nearly two and a half hours on the phone.

I'm surprised that any inmate has that much access to a phone. Was the jail allowing him to make all these calls thinkng that he might say something to incriminate others?

I'm surprised that any inmate has that much access to a phone. Was the jail allowing him to make all these calls thinkng that he might say something to incriminate others?

During COVID, the jail moved from shared physical phones to individual tablets which are voice call-capable. There are times when the tablets cannot be in use but other than that, only a prisoner's funds limits their amount of phone time.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about any proffers to SG. I thought the deal with Riviere was enough to find SG guilty, and that KM was the focus of proffers, since she was the link to CA.

IMO, the state wouldn't want to make a sweet deal with the man who actually fired the bullets into Dan's head.

JMO

LR's lawyer (Chuck Collins) appeared on YT episode with Judy (the Internet Lawyer) January 2023 and provided that LR was in federal prison when he was indicted by the grand jury for Dan's murder and as a habitual offender -- he knew he'd be facing the death penalty by the state of Florida.

When LR's defense learned that neither SG/KM were talking, they first requested a speedy trial which gave them some negotiating leverage with the State Prosecutor. LR took the early bird gets the worm analogy to save himself from the death penalty when he decided to cooperate with the investigators and prosecution. IMO, the best decision ever for the prosecution (and LR).

Besides being the shooter, IMO, SG is simply not very bright (drug addled brain?) and KM still can't admit she put $$$$ before her children and family.

ETA: LR plead guilty to the reduced charge of 2nd degree murder in exchange for his testimony.

Last edited:
To me, it looks like the state is treating the prosecutions like dominoes. No telling why they are doing it this way, but seems to be working. I'm just waiting to see who will be next since I have no clue.
Seems to be an effective strategy seeing as how these people can’t seem to keep their mouths shut about anything…. Keep monitoring their jail phone calls to the outside and who knows what additional info they’ll get!

Seems to be an effective strategy seeing as how these people can’t seem to keep their mouths shut about anything…. Keep monitoring their jail phone calls to the outside and who knows what additional info they’ll get!
I believe the prosecution also learned from trying SG/KM together that it's much more difficult for a jury to "convict a couple" -- leading to KM's mistrial at her initial trial with SG.

To me, it looks like the state is treating the prosecutions like dominoes. No telling why they are doing it this way, but seems to be working. I'm just waiting to see who will be next since I have no clue.
IMO, police often hold off arresting some people as long as they can, to try to get more/better evidence.

However, if someone is trying to escape, that leaves them no choice but to arrest them.

SG tried to flee in 2016, which set off the arrest of him and LR (there was enough evidence from the shooting to convict them).

LE needed LR's confession to arrest KM. They wanted KM to implicate CA, but she didn't.

They improved the audio on the Dolce Vita video and so arrested CA, but possibly dragged their feet on his trial to continue the pressure on KM.

JMO

Last edited:
IMO, police often hold off arresting some people as long as they can, to try to get more/better evidence.

However, if someone is trying to escape, that leaves them no choice but to arrest them.

SG tried to flee in 2016, which set off the arrest of him and LR (there was enough evidence from the shooting to convict them).

LE needed LR's confession to arrest KM. They wanted KM to implicate CA, but she didn't.

They improved the audio on the Dolce Vita video and so arrested CA, but possibly dragged their feet on his trial to continue the pressure on KM.

JMO

I'm not recalling SG trying to flee in 2016 before his arrest-- how did I miss that?

I recall LE wanting to arrest the co-defendants and not getting the cooperation from the prosecution/AG's office and where LE even tried to go around them to the federal prosecutors. Also recall the Tallahassee Asst City Attorney trying to seal SG's PCA-- citing fear the co-defendants would attempt to flee but since SG had already been arrested, his PCA was unsealed.

Tallahassee Police didn’t want details of their case against a Miami man arrested in Dan Markel’s killing to be made public for fear other suspects in the murder-for-hire scheme might flee the U.S., court documents show. June 3, 2016

I'm not recalling SG trying to flee in 2016 before his arrest-- how did I miss that?

I recall LE wanting to arrest the co-defendants and not getting the cooperation from the prosecution/AG's office and where LE even tried to go around them to the federal prosecutors. Also recall the Tallahassee Asst City Attorney trying to seal SG's PCA-- citing fear the co-defendants would attempt to flee but since SG had already been arrested, his PCA was unsealed.

Tallahassee Police didn’t want details of their case against a Miami man arrested in Dan Markel’s killing to be made public for fear other suspects in the murder-for-hire scheme might flee the U.S., court documents show. June 3, 2016

Yes, I was following the case because Dan's death had made the news in Canada, and was so puzzling.

A full on SWAT team were waiting at a gas station along the interstate: how the heck did they predict he would stop there? He had suitcases in the car, I recall. This is confirmed in Epstein's book, he was heading to KM's brothers place.

The FBI had been turning up the heat, perhaps hoping Katie would contact DA.

The media link might work better direct from the OP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members