GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help me out? Who is Janis? She rents CA whale harbor home. Was she a friend before, a girlfriend or just someone they found to rent the house while he in their mind was temporarily incarcerated?

Dunno but in one of the calls Charlie mentions that Dan is the ' King of the Closing'
That Dan has told him that closing statements is one of his areas of strength.
( In another recording CA also admits that he's never followed a criminal trial before)

Thinking back to trial coverage that day, I can't recall anybody saying that Dan's closing was strong. The reverse. It wasn't just the jurors getting bored iirc. Distinctly recall us mocking his amateurish demonstratives too. That puzzle piece graphic.

Anyway, at no point has Charlie thrown Dan under the bus in the jailcalls I heard. He still thinks he's brilliant

At some point however, I do think he will question the wisdom of a shared family attorney. Also think it's hard for him to ever face the notion that his parents might have been self serving. ( Not Wendi, he's no trouble being suspicious about extent of her loyalty imo)
Seems Dan has been the family attorney and they trust him still.Donna seems enamored by him.The A’s don’t trust anyone.How did Wendi end up with John Lauro?.She seems to have the best one.

You are spot on. Rash is not a criminal defense attorney. I still am totally bewildered as to why he did not put up defense that CA paid to rough Markel up, but never intended that they would kill him. Rash's inexperience led him to peddle an unbelievable theory and entirely miscalculate DA's chances for an acquittal. First and foremost, a defendant has to understand what his chances of success are in order to correctly evaluate his options -- including a plea deal. Unlike others on this forum, I do think Rash misled CA into believing he had a real chance of walking out of Leon County a free man. None of this changes the fact that CA is guilty.
Look, again, these people went through a few attorneys before they got to Rash. Maybe they finally got to the person who would say what they wanted them to say. Just like the “friends” they have left seem to all be people who believe their story, at least on the calls. All kinds of people exist in the world. Manipulative people find people who can be manipulated. People who need an attorney who will present a defense other attorneys might find ridiculous will find such an attorney. Would that attorney be the best attorney, or even as good as the ones they went through before they got to him? You tell me.

Seems Dan has been the family attorney and they trust him still.Donna seems enamored by him.The A’s don’t trust anyone.How did Wendi end up with John Lauro?.She seems to have the best one.
How much does he charge and who's been paying her bills? Daddy Harvey?

I don't know anything about Lauro except Trump team and that he's a Florida super lawyer plus a couple of links I just skim- read.

Last edited:

I don't know anything about Lauro except Trump team and that he's a Florida super lawyer plus a couple of links I just skim- read.
She has not been charged with anything yet. Let’s see what happens in the event she is.

She has not been charged with anything yet. Let’s see what happens in the event she is.
I am using the word charge as in 'to charge a fee', in my reply to Knitpicker

He's made multiple appearances with Wendi at trials over the years. My post was not about whether she might be indicted but whether he's expensive

CA just has one note he has fixed on to say why he's in jail, but never goes through the other important reasons. He never cites the #1 reason- after he joked about getting a TV instead of hiring a hitman, the biggest coincidence he's not mentioning is that his ex brother-in-law ended up with his face blown off from two hitmen! That's the biggest coincidence in this case that he magically never mentions. Then again, the only reason we know that is because his sister told anyone who would listen.

I am using the word charge as in 'to charge a fee', in my reply to Knitpicker

He's made multiple appearances with Wendi at trials over the years. My post was not about whether she might be indicted but whether he's expensive
Oh, of course. I just meant in the event she is charged, she might have different representation. Markus was very good, like Lauro, but Charlie didn’t end up using him at trial. It is possible something similar may happen with Lauro, depending on what the defense is going to be.

Imagine being WA, taking the stand in DA's trial, and now Cappleman is armed with these jail calls. Wow.

"Are you aware your own brother said there was a 1 in 10,000 chance that you were telling the truth about your trip down Trescott?"

I can see both of these being possible. I don't know if there is any definitive answer unless KM tells the whole truth, which she so far has not been willing to do. I do find It compelling that Rivera says he asked SG how can she know?

I think it is also very plausible that katie knew what time it was supposed to go down, and that her first phone call from him would be to let her know it was done, so she said I know. I don't think we will ever get a real answer on this until potential trial.
I think Katie is still not telling the whole truth. In the retrial, the state pointed her involvement as she was present (via pings) in the rental car on the first murder attempt which Sigfredo had rented. Also, what about that owl instagram post that Katie ordered Garcia to tell Rivera to take it down? I don't think Rivera is lying about that.

Imagine being WA, taking the stand in DA's trial, and now Cappleman is armed with these jail calls. Wow.

"Are you aware your own brother said there was a 1 in 10,000 chance that you were telling the truth about your trip down Trescott?"
And the jail call where he gets disconnected from Donna, and she doesn’t know her phone is still being recorded and she talks about meeting that morning with Wendi and George her boyfriend to tell her that shes leaving the country! And she mentions that she doesnt care if anyone heard bc what is she going to do? Dan said not to write anything and such.

Look, again, these people went through a few attorneys before they got to Rash. Maybe they finally got to the person who would say what they wanted them to say. Just like the “friends” they have left seem to all be people who believe their story, at least on the calls. All kinds of people exist in the world. Manipulative people find people who can be manipulated. People who need an attorney who will present a defense other attorneys might find ridiculous will find such an attorney. Would that attorney be the best attorney, or even as good as the ones they went through before they got to him? You tell me.
I thought they have known Rashbaum for years through Markus.

I can just imagine the state taking soundbites of all these hours of jail calls, and every time Charlie has said that (Bc he has repeated it ad nauseum), and making one recording…of the hundreds of times he mentions it, and having Wendi on the stand sitting there having to hear it. That would be something. “And my sister HAD to go to the crime scene”..”And my sister HAD to see if it was done”..”What are the chances”? “ and my sister an hour after the murder, just had to pass the crime scend”..etc etc

I think Katie is still not telling the whole truth. In the retrial, the state pointed her involvement as she was present (via pings) in the rental car on the first murder attempt which Sigfredo had rented. Also, what about that owl instagram post that Katie ordered Garcia to tell Rivera to take it down? I don't think Rivera is lying about that
Katie has removed herself from the important details on this case . She stated in the proffers she was unaware of lots of things. She said she didn’t even know how much the A’s were paying for the hit.

Yes, she seems to have the best money can buy while her brother and parents settled for a white collar attorney who doesn’t defend murder suspects.

I think Katie is still not telling the whole truth. In the retrial, the state pointed her involvement as she was present (via pings) in the rental car on the first murder attempt which Sigfredo had rented. Also, what about that owl instagram post that Katie ordered Garcia to tell Rivera to take it down? I don't think Rivera is lying about that.
Definitely agree. She is a loooong way from telling the whole story. Unless she has early onset, dementia, and has committed so many other murders that she's confusing them, there is no legitimate reason that she would not remember most of every detail of what happened. She yada yadas the whole murder.

Lower ranked but still a favourite is when the Stats Maestro doubts that Wendi was ever asked to buy Bulleit. ( Regardless of the invite shown at trial)

'I have never been told in all of my 47 years...... I’ve never..... been told to specifically buy Bulleit bourbon - have you?'
or Dad? Nope!
you know..... 180 years of experience yeah and none of us have ever had that request.
Dad's older so that's 195 years between the three of us on earth. '

A sample of 3 family members and a liqcour that was only widely introduced in US 24 years ago. I guess Janis and Donna think he's a genius

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXg7CYFaSR0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member