FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rivera did well. Better than KM’s retrial. State has prepped him I think. Anyway, this trial is moving at a rapid pace! It’s day 2 and we already have Rivera’s direct done! I don’t know if I can make it there before this trial ends. I was thinking of getting there the 3rd week but at this rate I’d have to get there next week!

The thing about Luis is, he’s a criminal, and a bad guy, but he’s honest. He tells the truth. I think that’s how he comes off, and I think that’s hard to beat on cross. People can get tripped up on cross, but usually it’s inconsistencies in their testimony. If you just keep telling the truth, it’s hard for them to find something to get you with. That’s why LaCasse is good, too. He just keeps telling the truth.

Absolutely. LR, an admitted gang leader, is the State's key to the hitman representation -- and especially since he's far removed from KM. LR owed KM nothing. Also, FBI/investigators were able to corroborate his details very early and deemed him credible as far as snitches go.

Talking to a US Marshal about this case, I learned that LR was a legacy member of the Latin Kings -- he was born into the organization, and essentially has known no other life. When he testified about going to the corner to buy a .38, that's exactly what he did! (CA wants to be LR)!

And LR turning on SG was a matter of survival in the coveted federal system where he's afforded the protection of frequently being rotated to different facilities across the country. SG long knew what came with his friendship with LR and no bad blood there. Some might even say he's looking out for SG in the Florida system from afar. (i.e., In a completely unrelated matter with similar circumstances, I know of a hotel that burned to the ground, destroying evidence that if found, would have greatly hurt somebody's homeboy).

IMO, SG was a party here for no other reason than KM, period.
The other interesting thing about LR is that in addition to being a legacy and very high ranking Latin King gang leader and criminal, he held down a pretty decent steady job (assistant foreman for a masonry business) for several years. In fact in a previous trial he testified he hired SG to work there but then had to fire him for drinking on the job.

ETA- he also testified before he had to ask for time off his masonry job to take the Tallahassee trip— another reason the whole, they went to do a murder job without certainty of payment and amount, is bogus

Last edited:
looks like Wendi had a guy with her too. A second lawyer?
He also left the courtroom at the same time she did yesterday
Clip is only 2mins long, at the end of it, you can see him sat with the blonde lawyer

I thought it was a somewhat good day for the State. Jeffrey got to say in front of the jury that Wendi told him CA considered hiring a hit man and it would cost $15,000 or $50,000. We had the officer give testimony where his police car was parked and where the crime scene tape started - showing that Wendi may not have been truthful, and we had the racist guy whose texts were pretty damning “I’ll call the FBI” “You are a murderer”.

I keep thinking about CA’s defense. It makes ZERO sense!
Seriously! “I killed this guy! Now pay me or I will kill your family!” Not only is that not how extortion works, it’s something that would make you go immediately to the police. It’s terrifying. He knew who the killers were. He knew where they lived. Or is he going to claim Katie didn’t tell him who they were? But SHE knew who they were. So he could still go to the police and tell them she was blackmailing him. And he certainly could’ve gone to the police once the arrests were made. The only way this is extortion is if Charlie IS involved and they‘re threatening to go to the police on HIM. And this alleged blackmailer (Katie) promised the killers a specific amount? From the extortion? Over time? For what? Why would he pay them? I’ve never heard anything so stupid in my life.

It seems like the state has gotten more info from Katie’s proffer. So now Rivera saying that Wendi was there at the crime scene and that he saw her seems to be correct in a roundabout way. He somehow must’ve heard from Katie that Wendi was there and knew when the hit was done. I think he’s confusing the sequence of events. My guess is that the state has heard from Katie that Wendi drove to the scene post murder and then Whatsapp’d Katie and Charlie possibly and told them what she saw. Then when Garcia called Katie she says I know.

Somehow Rivera is confused about this sequence. He and Garcia may have just assumed that some random lady they saw was Wendi.

The other interesting thing about LR is that in addition to being a legacy and very high ranking Latin King gang leader and criminal, he held down a pretty decent steady job (assistant foreman for a masonry business) for several years. In fact in a previous trial he testified he hired SG to work there but then had to fire him for drinking on the job.

ETA- he also testified before he had to ask for time off his masonry job to take the Tallahassee trip— another reason the whole, they went to do a murder job without certainty of payment and amount, is bogus

Agree. Professionals who study organized crime have cited the success and longevity of the LK is their code of silence and that legitimate work/trade is mandatory!

Any criminal proceeds are supposed to be supplemental income (intended to take care of the membership). Also, a father who fails to teach his son a trade is viewed worse than anything for contributing dead wood --only good to build a fire! The father will be penalized -- i.e., they will cut you off. Tough love is alive and well in the organization!

It seems like the state has gotten more info from Katie’s proffer. So now Rivera saying that Wendi was there at the crime scene and that he saw her seems to be correct in a roundabout way. He somehow must’ve heard from Katie that Wendi was there and knew when the hit was done. I think he’s confusing the sequence of events. My guess is that the state has heard from Katie that Wendi drove to the scene post murder and then Whatsapp’d Katie and Charlie possibly and told them what she saw. Then when Garcia called Katie she says I know.

Somehow Rivera is confused about this sequence. He and Garcia may have just assumed that some random lady they saw was Wendi.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Rivera testified about seeing a lady with 2 kids on the street (and Garcia basically id'ing her as Wendi) in the earlier trials -- before Katie's proffer. I didn't hear him say that he saw a lady/Wendi during his testimony today. Am I wrong about that?

I have not followed this trial or case at all. Did not even know about it! Caught the opening yesterday and watching todays hearing now.
As an outsider I don’t really know the key players in this.
But I will say I’m already pro state!
Just my newbie opinion. Lol.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Rivera testified about seeing a lady with 2 kids on the street (and Garcia basically id'ing her as Wendi) in the earlier trials -- before Katie's proffer. I didn't hear him say that he saw a lady/Wendi during his testimony today. Am I wrong about that?
No you’re right. GC didn’t bring that up in direct. But I’m guessing it will come up in cross and redirect. I brought up Katie’s proffer in relation to Rivera saying when Garcia called Katie to tell her it was done she already knew.

I think the state (through KM testimony possibly - BIG IF) is going to say Wendi Whatsapp’d Katie and possibly also Charlie when she did her drive by. GC asked Wendi if she ever used WhatsApp to communicate with Katie (if I recall correctly but someone correct me).

And I was trying to tie this together to figure out why Rivera thinks he saw Wendi that day! I don’t believe he did but I think HE believes it. I do t think he’s intentionally lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member