FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see how it can go the full 3 weeks unless CA testifies. The defense only listed 2 witnesses and they are not disputing and not questioning many of the state's witnesses.
I don’t know how it can go past next week at this rate! Agent Sanford will be back to go through all the payments to Katie, the wire taps, Dolce Vita and the state will be done. Am I missing anything?

Don't see how it can go the full 3 weeks unless CA testifies. The defense only listed 2 witnesses and they are not disputing and not questioning many of the state's witnesses.

Yes and, it is generally agreed that (so far) this trial is moving faster than expected. There are not as many objections or sidebars as with SG/KM 1 and KM 2 trials.

I don’t know how it can go past next week at this rate! Agent Sanford will be back to go through all the payments to Katie, the wire taps, Dolce Vita and the state will be done. Am I missing anything?
It’s moving very fast, and I agree about the 3 weeks! I have no idea how they can drag it out that long. I was just going by the court time allotted. Can’t remember if it was GC who stated 3 weeks ?

On another note, I wonder if WA was being truthful when she said she had a great life in Tallahassee. I think in retrospect, she probably thinks it wasn't so bad. Time goes by so quickly, and her boys would be off to college. At that point,she would be free to go anywhere she wanted. She wasn't stuck in Tallahassee forever, but she is stuck coming back here to be grilled by the courts year after year. So, yeah her life in Tallahassee wasn't so bad. JMO
I’m sure she thinks that now, lol. If nothing else I take solace in the fact that this evil act has negatively impacted Wendi and Donna quite severely.

Last edited:
It is very confusing to me, and I hope someone can explain it better than me. What I got from testimony by Lacasse was the tv was a gift from CA to WA as a divorce present the year prior. The tv was purchased by DA/HA originally and CA reimbursed them later. Lacasse said the tv was damaged where it couldn't be watched, and he referenced that the damage didn't look like something a small child's toy would have done. It seems this tv was damaged in June some time, and it was not serviced until July 18 in the morning hours. I guess it just sat there for a month without repair. WA said the children broke it and still made everyone watch the broken tv for whatever reason despite there being another tv in another room.
The appointment for the repair was made by DA because she originally purchased it ( that makes zero sense to me). The tv couldn't be repaired and it would have been cheaper to purchase a new one; so WA called CA to find out how much a new tv cost. That is what I got out of the testimony. It was baffling to me. I hope others post what they know. It all seems bizarre and unusual.
It’s very bizarre. This is an adult woman who cannot deal with her own home repairs, etc… that alone is so weird to me. I grew up differently I guess but even at 18, and I was on my own, I would have dealt with it however and if you can’t afford to repair it well you can’t!

Last edited:
It’s very bizarre. This is an adult woman who cannot deal with her own home repairs, etc… that alone is so weird to me. I grew up differently I guess but even at 18, and I was on my own, I would have dealt with it however and if you can’t afford to repair it while you can’t!
I agree. It’s such a bizarre dynamic between Wendi and her family. They treat her like she is a young teenaged mother who can’t handle all the responsibilities of being a parent on her own. This is a Cambridge schooled lawyer, yet she doesn’t know how to call a repair person or know it’s cheaper to buy a tv than to repair one? I call BS. The entire TV scenario is just over the top weird, and obviously cooked up to give Wendy an alibi.

That’s what I find so tragic about this whole thing. The fight over the relocation was bad for the A family, but it was just a snapshot, a moment in time. Things like this happen in divorce, emotions run high. But things change, circumstances change, life is long. Eventually, Dan might have gotten a job elsewhere, or the boys might have grown to a point where Dan was comfortable visiting from further away, or Wendi might have been able to bring her motion up again and reach a better result, or compromise with him. She wasn’t trapped in Tally FOREVER, as Donna’s emails say. Thats ridiculous to believe. Nothing is forever like that. She should have set moving as a long term goal, and worked toward it. Remember- that motion was filed at the beginning of what was to Dan a sudden and awful divorce and loss of his family. Of course he wasn’t going to agree. (Wendi says now that he did tell her he would agree but I don’t think that happened.). The judge wasn’t inclined to, either, and her lawyers knew that. Think about it: this was the first the judge had seen of the case, there were a lot of other issues, and as far as she could see, both parents were profs at FSU and the boys had stable lives. There was no compelling reason to grant the petition, and I’m sure the judge was mystified as to why one party was asking. Again, any one of those things could and would likely have changed. The judge was looking at a snapshot.

But these people strike me as extremely immature and undeveloped emotionally, in the sense that they were unable to look beyond their immediate circumstances and black-and-white thinking. This is not how adults are supposed to think; by the late 20’s the brain is sufficiently developed to be able to think of long-term consequences. These people (I believe it was Donna who was driving this thing) believed what they were experiencing right then was FOREVER, and they wanted a solution RIGHT NOW. (That’s how Donna’s emails read to me.). And they (allegedly) didn’t care what they had to do to get it, and didn’t care about hurting others. And it’s just so sad, for these children. It all was so avoidable.

The defense, and Wendi, appear to be arguing this very point now. Wendi seemed to indicate she thought the relocation could ultimately be worked out in the future, and that she was not too upset about it and was making a life in Tallahassee. The defense seems to want the jury to believe the same. Now.
100% to all of this. It’s not like they were living in Siberia or somewhere really difficult to deal with. Even the boys had a routine and had their teachers and friends, etc…
The whole thing is sooo selfish to say the least.

Wendy says she was home on the day of the murder because her TV broke and Geek Squad came to repair it. She claims the kids threw something at the screen. She claims this happened a long time before.

There is evidence that suggests it was Donna who called the Geek Squad. This might indicate Donna was setting up an alibi. That’s why the defense wanted to show that the only reason Donna had to set up the appointment was because the purchase was in her name, and she had the Geek Squad contract. So, a lot of testimony to try to show that the only person who can book the appointment is the person who bought the TV. That’s why Donna did it, not to provide an alibi.

There is a phone call from Wendi to ChArlie that morning for 19 minutes around the time of the murder. It can be argued that they were talking about the murder, or that she was advising him of where Dan was. So, the defense must show what it was they were talking about. So Wendi testifies on the stand that she was having a long conversation with him about whether to repair the TV or get a new one. For 19 minutes. The morning of the murder.

Finally LaCasse: Wendi can’t say when the TV broke, but implies it was a while back. LaCasse says it was no more than a month before the murder, and he can show the exact date. He says she called him to ask whether it was broken. When he got there to check it out, he says it looked obviously broken. It looked like a large and heavy object had been thrown into the screen. It didn’t look like the kids could’ve done it by throwing a toy. It was unwatchable, you couldn’t see the picture. He offered to buy Wendi a new one Several times. She continually refused his offer. This was no more than a month before the murder.

hopefully the rest of this will come out later in the trial so it makes sense, especially the phone call with Charlie and the Geek Squad alibi. But Wendi already testifies about that. Was the alibi part unclear?

Seems to me the entirety of this case including the TV repair boil down to the Adelson code: Protect Wendi at all cost, and how since birth, Wendi was just a participant in her own life where all decisions were made by Donna. And if you couldn't live by the code, you were out. JMO

I often wonder how the 2 boys will choose to go through life when they reach adulthood and whether or not they will embrace the Markel side of the family. I wonder if they will hold anything against WA and DA and HA and especially CA due to the murder of their father. It will be interesting to watch in the future.

ETA: I have high hopes that one or both boys have their name changed back to Markel.

Last edited:
I often wonder how the 2 boys will choose to go through life when they reach adulthood and whether or not they will embrace the Markel side of the family. I wonder if they will hold anything against WA and DA and HA and especially CA due to the murder of their father. It will be interesting to watch in the future.
That’s a hard one. I’m sure they love their mother very much, and their grandparents and uncle. They have been raised and shaped by these evil people. It’s really sad and I’m sure as they’ve grown older they have heard things from outsiders, they must be very confused. No doubt the Adelson’s have denied to them any involvement of killing Dan. I’m sure these kids are brilliant boys, and hopefully they will understand the truth…but at the same time …the truth will be so incredibly painful to them.

I agree. It’s such a bizarre dynamic between Wendi and her family. They treat her like she is a young teenaged mother who can’t handle all the responsibilities of being a parent on her own. This is a Cambridge schooled lawyer, yet she doesn’t know how to call a repair person or know it’s cheaper to buy a tv than to repair one? I call BS. The entire TV scenario is just over the top weird, and obviously cooked up to give Wendy an alibi.
And of course they never thought it would have to hold up to this much scrutiny…

I have a question. Wendi said in her testimony that the Markel’s have had full access to seeing their grandchildren, but hasn’t Ruth said otherwise? Did Wendi openly lie on the stand because she knew the Markel’s were not being called and there was no way to impeach her testimony? I also found it disgraceful that Wendi claimed the legislature that the Markel’s are trying to push through is “unconstitutional”. She showed her true colors there and messed up big time IMO.

I have a question. Wendi said in her testimony that the Markel’s have had full access to seeing their grandchildren, but hasn’t Ruth said otherwise? Did Wendi openly lie on the stand because she knew the Markel’s were not being called and there was no way to impeach her testimony?
LOL I was just now thinking this same thing!

A lot of this seems backward this time, like each side knows what the other is going to say, and is shooting that down before they can say it. We are not getting a straightforward chronology for the jury. In the past, the state spent a lot of time on how the murder happened and how they caught the killers, with cell phone records, etc. They showed how they were able to connect the murderers to Katie, and then to Charlie. They havent done that here, yet. They’re starting with Charlie already knowing Katie, and the murder already committed, and Katie extorting him, right in their opening statements. With the other trials, the openings were “I had nothing to do with this murder and knew nothing about it.”
^^rsbm

Thank you @amicuscurie ! I wasn't able to follow the trial in real time on Friday and was becoming increasingly frustrated as I was catching up. I kept wondering where the fire was that GC was running to!

Seriously, the rate the state was ticking off witnesses on only the 2nd day of trial was unbelievable. And I really lost it when GC raced through LR's direct testimony in only 30 minutes!! o_O

IMO, LR was one of the strongest witnesses in the previous trials. I think LR is good at answering questions convincingly when he's addressed slowly and clearly. I mean GC's speed of examination even had him agreeing that the hitmen (LR/SG) learned of Dan's schedule from the University Prof Blog when we all know LR's probably never heard that phrase in his life! Fortunately, LR was able to clarify that to him Prof Blog was defined to mean Wendi.

In all fairness to the prosecution, I understand they are not here to re-prove the cases against the already convicted trio of co-defendants but I think a little background of how it went down would go a long way with a jury in understanding how CA was connected to the murder of Dan, and how this cart after the horse defense couldn't be further from the truth. JMO

I have a question. Wendi said in her testimony that the Markel’s have had full access to seeing their grandchildren, but hasn’t Ruth said otherwise? Did Wendi openly lie on the stand because she knew the Markel’s were not being called and there was no way to impeach her testimony? I also found it disgraceful that Wendi claimed the legislature that the Markel’s are trying to push through is “unconstitutional”. She showed her true colors there and messed up big time IMO.
This is what the Markels have been dealing with for years, and it is heartbreaking watching them sitting in the courtroom listening to this.

This is what the Markels have been dealing with for years, and it is heartbreaking watching them sitting in the courtroom listening to this.
The way Wendi just sat up there and blatantly lied about this is truly mind blowing and disgusting. She is cunning and so manipulative. I wish GC could have proven Wendi was lying on that one too , but how could she? And Wendi knew it.

Wendi's logic made no sense -- she stopped giving the Markels access to the kids because the Markels proposed a temporary solution -- foster care -- if she got arrested. If you were innocent (or guilty) why would that make you deny access? I guess it's that they had the temerity to broach the possibility of an arrest. JMO.

Wendi's logic made no sense -- she stopped giving the Markels access to the kids because the Markels proposed a temporary solution -- foster care -- if she got arrested. If you were innocent (or guilty) why would that make you deny access? I guess it's that they had the temerity to broach the possibility of an arrest. JMO.
It's as if she were punishing them for even entertaining such a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member