FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot about this too! His claimed work injury aside, and of course a hand or arm or back injury could make it very hard to work in his profession — I wonder if his livelihood was affected by the large amounts of publicity for the case — I know he worked for his dad but also for other dental practices on a contract basis. It’s been out there since 2016 that law enforcement was implicating him as the main guy in a murder for hire conspiracy. He was free for about 6 years after that, how many people wanted to be his patient or in the periodontist business with him since 2016?
His attorneys in this lawsuit do mention several dentists who used to refer patients to him and no longer did so as soon as the media started about the case; and also other patients who used to see him asked to see other providers because of the negative publicity. Whether or not that’s entirely true, hard to say, but if I was a patient and saw my dentist on the news being talked about potentially involved in anything like this, I’d be leery of returning to that dentist. JMOO

Some of Lacasse's stories -- Wendi canceling the trip to meet his parents, making him and her sons watch a shattered tv, then apparently she was seeing other people(?) -- made me cringe. Hurts to see someone treated that way. She treated him badly IMO.

So gangsters not only kill people, but they kill random people and then extort other people to keep quiet about it? And then when those gangsters go to jail, other gangsters extort the people those gangsters were extorting, even though they didn’t kill the original person? Sure.
I know this is a serious matter but I can't help snickering about the notion that the LK Empire would entertain offering a Miami dentist a payment plan.

His attorneys in this lawsuit do mention several dentists who used to refer patients to him and no longer did so as soon as the media started about the case; and also other patients who used to see him asked to see other providers because of the negative publicity. Whether or not that’s entirely true, hard to say, but if I was a patient and saw my dentist on the news being talked about potentially involved in anything like this, I’d be leery of returning to that dentist. JMOO
I believe That’s why he decided to file for disability. Because he couldn’t get work anymore because of the lawsuit. But I don’t know that, it’s just my opinion. Goes along with the talk of insider trading on the wiretaps. He seems like he might do something like that. Just my opinion.

Absolutely. Let’s hope the State has this on a chart to show the jury. What they really need to bring out is how ridiculous the story of the TV repair is. First, it’s clear from the tap between DA and CA that the TV was code when he says they want $5000 from you? When she says the TV is five. But the notion that these wealthy people would have all of these phone calls and effort over a cheap TV is beyond incredulity.

JL said it was a TV you would see you in a dorm room. WA is really going to call her brother and speak to him for 18 minutes about whether or not, she needs to buy a new TV or repair it when there is no way to repair it and it would cost more than the TV? And all she had to do was go on Best Buy‘s website to look up the cost of a new TV? For people who have a lot of money like they do. Ridiculous. But the State needs to spell that out.
Exactly and the whole phone call to Charlie was unnecessary.

Georgia should use Wendi's own words from Isom's interview, she has already been told by the TV repairman the TV is unfixable, yet she calls Charlie to see if she should buy a new one or fix it. Watch at 1:08.

WA: "he came out to fix it but then told me what was wrong with it was not fixable, and so I called Charlie to find out if I should buy a new one or should I fix this one"

She pauses a while after she says that. She knew she said the wrong thing.

A dorm TV to boot :D

I read LaCasse the same way, although it was interesting that someone on here new to the case wasn’t buying his story. He does say more and more as time goes on, he seems to be always going back and remembering new things that make Wendi look guilty. That’s odd, to me, that his memory would improve over time. This is the first time he said that he saw the broken TV. I guess the explanation is that he wasn’t asked about that before. It wasn’t as relevant to Katie’s trial. He didn’t mention it to the police either, but that’s probably because he didn’t yet know that it was her alibi for the morning of the murder. I still think he’s telling the truth, even if his interpretation of some facts may be self-serving. I don’t think she was deliberately trying to frame him, for example.
Some of Lacasse's stories -- Wendi canceling the trip to meet his parents, making him and her sons watch a shattered tv, then apparently she was seeing other people(?) -- made me cringe. Hurts to see someone treated that way. She treated him badly IMO.
Agreed. I think he was very traumatized by his whole experience with her and I understand! I respect him for his forthright testimony.

I have a feeling they’re going to say Charlie actually paid them MORE- they alluded to that in opening. Because he was so rich. And so scared. And then he ran out of money, so he had to go to Mom. But I do remember hearing Rash say “you will hear that he paid MORE.” Because sure. That’s what you do. And he also said Sig hated ChArlie. Hated him. Wanted to hurt him. So…he killed someone for him? None of it makes any sense. if they were going to extort ChArlie, why didn’t they just extort Charlie? Is the argument that they were going to make it look like he did it, and so he was afraid of being framed, so he paid them? That’s even more reason to go straight to the cops. The whole thing falls apart as soon as you take a good look at it. But, jury consultants are good at their job.
@amicuscure, you think the jury consultants, who knew this crackpot defense, are good enough at their jobs to find a group of jurors who could be easily confused or duped by this theory?

This is the 3rd time by for us veterans of this case. We know whats coming in for evidence. Just a formality the rest of the way from here...Goodbye Charlie! Just maybe we might see another arrest or two before this one wraps up.

Why isn’t Charlie’s parents in the courtroom showing support??
Eventually, I think the jury is going to be asking themselves the same question.

But this family is definitely 'off' -- just imagine the close siblings of CA and WA and the brother doesn't attend his brother-in-laws service in Tallahassee to support his sister! How exactly does he explain his absence -- a tanning appointment? [sarcasm]. MOO

The FBI 'bump' wiretap was on 4/19/2016 and they still had taps on the suspects CA and SM's phones.

SG was arrested on 5/25/2016 at a traffic stop in Broward County. SG hired his first lawyer Jim Lewis (Ft Lauderdale) shortly after his arrest and with the docs sealed, Lewis isn't convinced police don't have much more than speculation to hold Garcia.

On 5/30/2016, a phone call originating with KM to Lewis is recorded by FBI where Lewis tells KM that he's reached out to CA's lifetime friend (attorney M Weinstein) and was assured that CA is not talking to police.

Some believe this message about CA not talking was the beginning of KM's decision to also keep silent and not cooperate with investigators/prosecution.

During the taped call, Lewis reminds KM that if she is arrested, she will have to hire her own lawyer because he can't represent both SG and KM.

5/30/16 --

Dan Markel Murder: Katie talking to Sigfredo's 1st Lawyer, Jim Lewis = The Family Ain't Talkin'​

5/31/15 -- Suspect in Markel Murder to Plead Not Guilty

Following SG's 6/24/2016 bond hearing, Lewis holds a short press conference outside the courthouse:

No child support, no medical benefits for CA's child, all from the family that was once willing to pay $1M to the murder victim to allow his two sons to relocate to Miami.

I'm assuming that DA has no interest in grandparenting CA's child because DA only has eyes for WA and her offspring.

Paternity is not pending-- what a pathetic group here. JMO

I guess the defense is going to pound the fact that LR was high up in the Latin Kings organization and will say that CA was afraid that if he went to the cops about the extortion -- even after the arrests and sentencing -- the Latin Kings would come after him for snitching on their brother/leader. Just a thought....JMO.

I just listened to LR's attorney, Chuck Collins, who was a guest on JTYTLawyer and not because anything he said on the podcast but I'm personally doubtful the defense can make statements beyond what was already admitted on direct i.e., he was a member of a gang and was serving time for a RICO violation when he agreed to cooperate with this case.

IMO, the defense making additional comments about his rank etc. serve no purpose but to endanger LR's life and I don't see that being allowed. Especially given there's no evidence that LK or LR's membership had anything to do with Dan's murder.

Chuck Collins is a death penalty qualified lawyer who was assigned to represent LR's because Florida was seeking the death penalty if LR was convicted. LR took the plea deal to both save his life and also because the state's case without LR's testimony was pretty weak given they left CA and his family living the high life when they couldn't charge any of them.

LR essentially was able to put himself in a position of strength when his defense asked for a speedy trial at a time where none of the other co-defendants were talking and the state really needed what LR had to say not to bumble the prosecution of SG and KM. I think without LR's testimony, the State risked losing the war they started without also arresting any of Adelsons. JMO

No child support, no medical benefits for CA's child, all from the family that was once willing to pay $1M to the murder victim to allow his two sons to relocate to Miami.

I'm assuming that DA has no interest in grandparenting CA's child because DA only has eyes for WA and her offspring.

Paternity is not pending-- what a pathetic group here. JMO
Well, the family has no interest in their grandchildren by RA, either (RA himself said this in the Tally podcast).

Monday, October 30th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 9am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Charles Jay Adelson (37 @ time of crime/45/now 46) was indicted (4/20/22), arrested & charged (4/21/22) & booked (in Leon County 4/25/22) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder & solicitation to commit murder. No bond (denied bond 4/26/22). Bond release denied (9/9/22).
Jury selection set to begin on 10/23/23 & ended on 10/25/23. 12 Jurors & 3 alternates (8 men & 7 women; 7 white men, 1 Black man, 2 white women & 5 Black women)
Trial began on 10/26/23. (thru 11/9/23). From 9am 5:30pm except Wednesdays from 9am-5pm/5:15pm
Circuit Judge Stephen Everett presiding. Prosecutor Georgia Cappleman. Defense attorney Daniel Rashbaum.

Court info from 4/21/22 thru 10/23/23 & Jury Selection Day 1-3 (10/23-10/25/23) & Trial Day 1 (10/26/23) reference post #603 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-14.675427/page-31

10/27/23 Friday, Trial Day 2: State witnesses: Wendi Adelson back for cross examination. TPD Officer Bill Brannon. He responded to the scene of Dan’s murder on Trescott Drive in 2014. Jeffrey Lacasse, ex-bf of WA. Stephen Webster, Dan Markel’s divorce attorney. June Umchinda, Adelson’s ex-girlfiend. Wendi Adelson back on stand. Jeffery Lacasse back on stand. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Charlie’s former friend. Luis Rivera, convicted 2nd hitman the getaway driver. Rivera will return on Monday to finish testimony.
For more info see posts #892 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-14.675427/page-45
Trial continues on Monday, 10/30/23.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members