DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

MONDAY - LIVE BLOG - DAY 3 (PM)​

5:56 p.m.: Court is in recess, Corbitt will return tomorrow​

10/30/23​

If you missed Monday’s livestream, you can watch it back here:​

3:45 p.m.: Tallahassee Police communication analysis expert testifies for more than two hours on call, text, location records​

Tallahassee Police Sgt. Chris Corbitt is now testifying as a communication analysis expert. He supervises TPD’s technical operations unit.

The prosecution is going over phone records with him. He also went through iCloud information, business records and other cell records.

Corbitt will rely a summary of these records, which he said make up thousands of pages of documents, for his testimony, he told Dugan.

He is going over call detail records now, which could include voice texts, data, text messages and the date and time they occur. These records can also include relative (not exact) locations of calls and their length of time.

Garcia’s phone placed a 37-second call to Harvey Adelson’s phone and it went to his voicemail, investigators found in an analysis of a “tower dump.” The call location indicated Garcia was near Markel’s gym at the same time as the Tallahassee father, Corbitt testified.

Rivera was also in the capital city at the time, according to Corbitt’s analysis of phone records, the investigator said.

The day after the alleged phone call, Magbanua and Charlie Adelson discussed someone “leaving a message,” text records showed, according to Corbitt.

Adelson calls an unnamed person cowardly and "childish" for "leaving messages" in a text to Magbanua.(WCTV)
One of Garcia’s top contacts in phone records was Magbanua, the witness said. One of her top contacts was Charlie Adelson.
1698715972445.png
Investigators examine when suspects call one another back-to-back or within short periods of time because that can be significant, Corbitt said. He went over a series of back-to-back calls over an hour time with the accompanying graphic seen here:
1698716009633.png

A graphic shows a series of calls Magbanua, the Adelsons and Garcia placed.(WCTV)
A portion of phone records the prosecution reviewed with Corbitt showed it was very rare for Charlie to call his parents’ landline, but that the majority of times he did call that line, it was after the murder.

The TPD sergeant testified that some people perceive landline calls as less frequently wire tapped or safer from wire taps.

Charlie shook his head and frowned as Dugan and the investigator discussed those records.

The prosecution went over a detailed day-by-day phone records between Wendi, Magbanua, Donna, Harvey, Garcia, Rivera and Charlie in June before during the first trip to attempt taking Markel’s life and again in July leading up to and after the FSU professor’s murder.

Between 2013 and 2016, Charlie called his parents Donna and Harvey’s landline phone a total of 28 times. Under the prosecution’s questioning, Corbitt shared that he found three of those calls were placed the July 15th, three days before the murder.

Adelson smirked with his chin on his hands and shook his head, rolling his eyes, as Dugan and the witness talked about the calls to his parents’ home phone.

Phone records show his phone was not in service, which Corbitt said would be consistent with his phone being turned off, after he left Markel’s gym. It came back into service after the murder, a few hours south of Tallahassee. The first call he placed was to Magbanua, the investigator testified.

The night of the murder, Magbanua talked via phone to Garcia and Charlie Adelson. Donna Adelson texted her son Charlie that she was at his home, and he said he was almost home. Earlier that night, he and Magbanua texted about him going to her home, Corbitt testified.

Her records show she was near Rivera’s residence, then her phone stops receiving or sending calls or locations, and then the next morning it apparently turns back on and travels in a path near away from Charlie Adelson’s residence toward hers.

The morning after the murder, Charlie’s phone stopped receiving or sending out messages. Corbitt testified it was consistent with Adelson “dumping” the phone.

Magbanua repeatedly tried to reach Rivera the morning after the murder. After a flurry of calls, Garcia’s records show him traveling near Garcia’ girlfriend’s residence. Corbitt testified it was consistent with not being able to reach Rivera, so Garcia went to go get him.

“In all of the messages from the records between the defendant and Katherine Magbanua from 2014 to 2016 are there any messages where they discuss Charlie Adelson being blackmailed or extorted or violent people wanting to hurt his family?” Dugan asked.

“None that I found,” Corbitt answered.

He testified that they spoke regularly, sometimes more than once a day, in a friendly manner.

The prosecution projected many texts between the pair where they express love and friendship.
1698716136828.png

1698716195852.png
Charlie Adelson tells Katherine Magbanua via text that he feels "very lucky" to have her in his life.(WCTV)
The prosecution discussed with texts between Charlie and Donna Adelson about dissuading Wendi from buying a house.

The pair said they would’ve used it against her as “leverage.” Some jurors wrote down notes as the witness read the messages.

Donna and Charlie Adelson text about Wendi no longer buying a house.(WCTV)
The prosecution showed more texts between Donna and Charlie discussed a birthday present for Harvey.

“I can’t talk now. BUT, ill text u befofe we stop in Gainesville where I can g to the bathroom and have a moment of privacy. Then I’ll call. Pleache pick up because I will have very limited “alone” time today. Erase this text after u read it,” Donna texted her son.

“Great,” Charlie responded.

“We’ll stop in about 5 minutes and I can speak to u privately about dad’s birthday gift when I’m out of the car. I have some good ideas (winky face emoji,” Donna wrote.

“Great,” Charlie responded.

3:28 p.m.: Tallahassee Police investigator testifies on the dinner Lacasse alleges was “celebratory”​

Tallahassee Police Sgt. Corey Hale is up next. He said he interviewed Jeffrey Lacasse, Wendi Adelson’s ex-boyfriend.

“I met with him pretty early on in the investigation,” Hale said.

Prosecutor Cappleman questioned him about the alleged “celebration dinner” Lacasse discussed.

Wendi and Lacasse both say the dinner happened, but they conflict on the nature of the meal. It was a few weeks after Markel’s murder.

They agree that Wendi went to dinner with her brother Charlie, and that at some point Wendi vomited.

But Wendi says it was the first time she left the house after her ex-husband’s death, and she was very unhappy at the time. Lacasse testified that Wendi said her brother called it a “celebratory” dinner.

During Wendi’s ex’s testimony last week, the defense asserted that if Lacasse was worried the dinner could have been a celebration of Markel’s death, why did he wait so long to report it to police?

Lacasse had said he waited months to go to the police with his suspicions that Wendi attempted to frame him for Markel’s murder because he was afraid of Adelson.

Hale testified under Cappleman’s questioning that police questioned Lacasse shortly after Markel’s murder, when the investigation was in its infancy. Lacasse told police about the dinner at the time, Hale said.

2:50 p.m.: Defense questions financial investigator​

The defense tells Hull Charlie Adelson had “no problem at all” creating a paper trail by paying for her charges on his credit card.

“You couldn’t find any payment from Katherine Magbanua at all for that car?” Rashbaum asked.

The investigator said no.

Earlier today, the defense pointed out, Magbanua testified that she paid for the car.

The checks were taxed

“Couldn’t that be not a real pile?” Rashbaum asked.

The defense suggested the pile referenced in texts from the Adelsons was a note Harvey and Donna made to give to their son Charlie after their deaths.

Under Rashbaum’s questioning, Hull testified that it seemed like Magbanua received $3,000 from the Adelsons a month. The defense is accusing Magbanua of extorting their client for monthly payments.

Then Dugan stood back up to question Hull.

The prosecutor asked if Magbanua was receiving a large monthly sum of cash, would it make more sense for her to drop it once in her bank account or in small amounts throughout the month.

“I think she was trying to hide the fact that she was putting in cash and flying under the radar,” Hull replied.

Rashbaum and Adelson nodded at the investigator’s opinion.

The investigator also told the prosecutor her assessment of Magbanua and Adelson’s communications. Under Dugan’s questioning, she said it seemed Adelson often offered to help or provide to Magbanua, and that she did not threaten him.

“They seemed to have a good relationship,” the witness said.

1:53 p.m.: Investigator examines Adelson’s, Magbanua’s finances​

Mary Hull, a former financial investigator for the Florida Department of Financial Services, is testifying. Her specialty is forensic accounting, she said.

The investigator reviewed financial records for the Markel murder case, including the Adelsons’ and Adelson Institute’s bank accounts, she testified. She also reviewed records including bank accounts and employment records for Rivera, Garcia and Magbanua.

Additionally, the investigator looked over records related to Magbanua’s breast augmentation, checks to her from the Adelson Institute, her car title and her tax records.

After Markel’s murder, Rivera’s bank patterns changed, Hull testified. Prior to the crime, he frequently overdrafted his account. But for months after the murder, from about July to October, he no longer was overdrafting his account, according to Hull’s investigation.

But then after that time period, he began receiving overdraft fees again.

Next up was Magbanua. The investigator said she owned a car prior to Markel’s murder, and then displayed texts when Adelson apparently paid for repairs to her car in November 2014.

Charlie Adelson told Katherine Magbanua "I got u" when having a conversation about paying for car repairs she needed in 2014. She responded, "Stop paying for my shyt on your card."(WCTV)
Magbanua got a new car in December 2015, which was previously owned by Harvey Adelson, Hull said records showed. The prosecution displayed texts between Magbanua and Charlie Adelson about paying for car insurance.

They also showed that 96% of Magbanua’s breast augmentation was paid for with cash.

Jerome Obed and Charlie Adelson were roommates, according to messages Hull reviewed in Adelson’s iCloud account. Magbanua’s primary source of income was SoFi Dental, where she worked, in the year of Markel’s murder. Next were The Adelson Institute, where she claimed during her trials she worked, and Obed, who was a dermatologist.

Records show Magbanua was not employed for weeks after Markel’s murder, according to Hull and prosecution projections.

Magbanua received two checks a month until May 2016 from the Adelson Institute, Hull testified. Those checks were all signed by Donna Adelson, the investigator said.

Some of those checks were advanced pay, so she was paid before the work period was complete, Hull testified.

The checks were all sequential, meaning each check was written right after the other in a check book, according to Hull.

The payments did not pause when Magbanua got her breast augmentation surgery or when she went out of town, the investigator said.

The only employment records the Adelson Institute had for Magbanua was her payment records. Under a court subpoena, they could not produce any tax forms, evaluations, applications or other documentation.

Cash deposits were the highest in Magbanua’s accounts in summer of 2014, according to Hull.

1698716682859.png
The state exhibits graphs showing Magbanua's cash deposits from 2013 to 2016 and put them on a timeline with her employment records and important case dates.(WCTV)
The prosecution went over messages between Adelson family members discussing keeping “piles” of cash and offering cash discounts.

The prosecutor displayed texts been Adelson family members discussing moving large sums of cash.

@Niner

I liked JL the first two trials more. I don’t dislike him, but he definitely seemed different during this trial, and there were some things that registered on my hinky meter. This time he seems to have more details which puzzled me because over time you tend to forget little details. It is evident he has been very very scarred by this entire ordeal - dating and falling in love with a narcissist (WA), possibly being framed by her, and he probably has some guilt for not going to police when WA told him the hitman joke.

Myself having been duped by a narcissist for many years, JL should consider himself lucky the relationship with WA did not continue. I wouldn't doubt with his educational background, he did recognize some tendencies with WA's behavior. But narcissists have a way of stringing you along despite their inability for empathy, sense of entitlement, need for constant praise, etc being continually present. Narcissists love only themselves so JL was just a playtoy for WA.

Myself having been duped by a narcissist for many years, JL should consider himself lucky the relationship with WA did not continue. I wouldn't doubt with his educational background, he did recognize some tendencies with WA's behavior. But narcissists have a way of stringing you along despite their inability for empathy, sense of entitlement, need for constant praise, etc being continually present. Narcissists love only themselves so JL was just a playtoy for WA.
I agree! I have experience with a narcissist too, and woah… does it do a number on someone. It’s so hard to explain to others who haven’t experienced it. I KNOW JL was traumatized!

I contend that she must have spoken to the kids' school to confirm they were there before the final "go" was communicated to CA. But I didn't see earlier calls on the graphic.
I asked about this earlier (confirmation by WA her kids were safe at school) and it seems WA received a voicemail from DM when he was at the gym -- suggesting they meet which was presumed confirmation that he'd dropped the kids off at school earlier as typical of their schedule.

I agree! I have experience with a narcissist too, and woah… does it do a number on someone. It’s so hard to explain to others who haven’t experienced it. I KNOW JL was traumatized!
Yes, and he said he went to therapy regarding it. Probably the notes were for that too.
I know when I had to testify later I thought of things I wish I’d said or phrased differently - he’s had a chance to redo his testimony in a way.
I hope he’s doing much better now.

Last edited:
My favorite blooper from today's trial was when GC asked LR "how did you find out the victim was leaving town the following day...was it from a blog" but it sounded a bit like 'the blonde' And LR said "The blonde was Wendi" haha...and it just put her name out there one more time. Here's the link

It also made me chuckle to think of GC referring to Wendi 'the blonde' during the trial.

I might have discovered a lead for Georgia C today:

During today's examination of the State witness, Ms. Hall, a financial examiner analyzing the deposits and average balances of the defendants bank accounts, under the 2016 column illustrating annual income by employer, I specifically recall hearing GC ask Ms. Hall if 'Quintana Lopez [at $5,053.25 for the period 7/29/16 - 10/14/16]' might be a realtor, and Ms. Hall wasn't certain but said its possible.

In March 2018, KM's sister-in-law was arrested by the Plantation Police Department in South Florida on charges of embezzling $1.19M from her employer Quintana, Lopez, Donoghue & Gonzalez, a Plantation certified public accounting firm.

September 2017, the owners of the firm became suspicious that she had been stealing money from them when they noticed their general business account had been nearly depleted of funds over several years.
At the time of her arrest, Samantha Magbanua, KM's sister-in-law, had worked for the firm for 26 years!

7/24/2018

They “noticed hundreds of thousands of dollars had been wired out of the account by Samantha without their permission,” Plantation Police wrote in their report.

In all, 62 wire transfers by Samantha Magbanua were sent to a Miami spiritual healer, Caridad Herrera Cabello, totaling $611,230.

Samantha told investigators she met Cabello through her sister-in-law Katherine Magbanua. Investigators also found that between October 2015 and August 2017, $332,585 was wired from her employer's accounts into four personal accounts of Samantha Magbanua.

The firm’s business accounts also were used to pay off $228,369 in credit cards owned by Samantha Magbanua, according to investigators.

Tuesday, October 31st:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (@ 9am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Charles Jay Adelson (37 @ time of crime/45/now 46) was indicted (4/20/22), arrested & charged (4/21/22) & booked (in Leon County 4/25/22) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder & solicitation to commit murder. No bond (denied bond 4/26/22). Bond release denied (9/9/22).
Jury selection set to begin on 10/23/23 & ended on 10/25/23. 12 Jurors & 3 alternates (8 men & 7 women; 7 white men, 1 Black man, 2 white women & 5 Black women)
Trial began on 10/26/23. (thru 11/9/23). From 9am 5:30pm except Wednesdays from 9am-5pm/5:15pm
Circuit Judge Stephen Everett presiding. Prosecutor Georgia Cappleman. Defense attorney Daniel Rashbaum.

Court info from 4/21/22 thru 10/23/23 & Jury Selection Day 1-3 (10/23-10/25/23) & Trial Day 1-2 (10/26-10/27/23) reference post #160 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-15.694569/page-8

10/30/23 Monday, Trial Day 3: State witnesses: Luis Rivera back on stand to finish testimony. Katherine Magbanua. Clariza Lebredo, who has worked as a dental assistant there for about 40 years. Erika Johnson worked at the front desk of the dental office.
For more info see post #392 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-15.694569/page-20
State witnesses continued: Mary Hull, a former financial investigator for the Florida Dept. of Financial Services. Tallahassee Police Sgt. Corey Halet. Hhe interviewed Jeffrey Lacasse, Wendi Adelson’s ex-boyfriend. Tallahassee Police Sgt. Chris Corbitt, a communication analysis expert. He supervises TPD’s technical operations unit. Corbitt will return tomorrow for more testimony.
For more info see posts #545 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-15.694569/page-28
Trial continues on Tuesday, 10/31/23.

Court Tv - Vinnie Politan covering this case. It just started if anyone is interested.
Thanks
I can paste that one as an approved link, in case anybody else wants to watch:

BTW I heard MentourLawyer say yesterday, what a good job Court TV had done with their feed & number of cameras they'd installed and that we just give them - and CourtTv - our live views because it's so expensive to live stream the trials well so we should support them if we like. to watch trials.

CTV Body Language expert states KM now telling the truth. She also said something about when you just don't know why but you don't like a person it could be you are getting neg vibes from their body language.

As I have stated on here previously, something about Lacasse just rubbed me the wrong way and I know I am in the minority here. He may just remind me of someone in my past or something I can't put my finger on, but I did NOT like that guy at all. I think because he did not just answer questions he was always trying to frame himself as the good guy and WA as the bad guy in the relationship. And I have no affinity for WA whatsoever. Just rubbed me the wrong way.
Nonetheless, it's good to have those minority opinions on WS because he might also have rubbed some jurors up in the same way & iirc Rashbaum did an effective job on cross. ( Lacasse's role in this trial is minor compared to previous trials and this jury don't have the benefit of watching his testimony in T1 & T2)

Last edited:
I don’t think so. And why does her mother call her ex those horrible names? Like sometimes, a lot of times, marriages don’t work out, but it’s not like he abused her!
Imagine the transcripts & texts for the comms around RA's wife!

After hearing the evidence it's not hard to imagine that DA & family used the same vituperous language when they spoke of her. This dehumanising hate-talk about other-halves must have been going on for years. This had become normal for The As.

The Adelson's created the conditions for estrangement from the eldest grand children ( RA's kids) so DA must've determined early on, that she was going to win this time around and a drastic 'solution' was the way to go on DM. ( From trial evidence we've heard a plan to kill had been considered at least by summer 2013 ( JL alleges) or Halloween 2013 ( KM alleges)

I wonder if KM rejected the immunity because some charlatan convinced her she would be acquitted. I'm not convinced this had anything to do with SG.

Thinking of KM introducing her sister-in-law to a Miami 'spiritual healer' (and contributing more than $600K to her cause), also reminded me of Maya Millete's husband (Larry) who is awaiting trial for disappearing his wife before she could divorce him. After spending months denying the couple was having problems, Larry's final effort included contracting with 'spellcasters'-- hoping to control his wife's emotions and actions.

I wonder if KM rejected the immunity because some charlatan convinced her she would be acquitted. I'm not convinced this had anything to do with SG.

Thinking of KM introducing her sister-in-law to a Miami 'spiritual healer' (and contributing more than $600K to her cause), also reminded me of Maya Millete's husband (Larry) who is awaiting trial for disappearing his wife before she could divorce him. After spending months denying the couple was having problems, Larry's final effort included contracting with 'spellcasters'-- hoping to control his wife's emotions and actions.
I believe she was told "they haven't got anything on you". She was convinced she wouldn't go to prison. When she got acquitted, you can bet she would use it to get more money out of CA. I think she saw a very large "pot of gold" if she waited it out. It's obvious what is more important to her; not SG and not her children.

It must have been a humbling experience when she got life in prison. I feel more sorry for SG and LR than I do her. She is still trying to manipulate the situation. JMO

This whole 70th Bday present for dad has my interest piqued 100%. Not something I recall hearing about previously. Hope they can bring this home.

ETA: Especially after Paella ordering WA claimed to have no recall as to what the present was!
Me too. There is a text ( can't find it) dated 7/6/2014, the day after the 70th bday party, from WA to DM asking about his schedule the week of July 14-18. We know this text was sent from her parents address because it's been testified that she was in Miami that weekend. I wonder if she was asking to have the kids on July 16 to make it seem more innocent. Didn't she get the kids every Wednesday when it was his week to have them? I was confused about that one.

I can just see DA telling her what to text him. I can see why GC thinks there was some planning going on during the 70th bday weekend.

If I were a juror in this case, I would be wondering why WA and DA aren't in jail or sitting at the defense table. They look very guilty in this trial more than the other two. JMO

Me too. There is a text ( can't find it) dated 7/6/2014, the day after the 70th bday party, from WA to DM asking about his schedule the week of July 14-18. We know this text was sent from her parents address because it's been testified that she was in Miami that weekend. I wonder if she was asking to have the kids on July 16 to make it seem more innocent. Didn't she get the kids every Wednesday when it was his week to have them? I was confused about that one.

I can just see DA telling her what to text him. I can see why GC thinks there was some planning going on during the 70th bday weekend.

If I were a juror in this case, I would be wondering why WA and DA aren't in jail or sitting at the defense table. They look very guilty in this trial more than the other two. JMO
The thing that got me was Donna at CA’s house the night of the murder before KM got there. I wonder if they know how often DA went to that house before. And this was like at 9pm. Wasn’t it around 7pm when WA called DA to notify her of the murder and request that they come up to Tally? She says she’s going to go up the next day, I think. And then she drives to CA’s house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarneson59