FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m stuck on the phrase “a third of a million dollars”. I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone describe a quantity of money that way in my life.

Half a mil? A quarter of a mil? Sure. A third? Nah.

It seems contrived as a callback to DA’s publicized emails to WA about the proposed $1 million dollar bribe to DM. (Source: Donna's EmailsSteven B. Epstein Author)

But even there DA doesn’t phrase it as awkwardly as CA did today! In the email she wrote “you, Charlie and Dad and I going as high as equal parts in a $1,000,000 offer. That’s $333K from each of us”. Maybe it’s the former teacher in her but DA words it way more clearly than CA and supposedly, KM when she made her “extortion demand”. If KM had said “Give me $333K” that even makes more sense though still a rather weird and awkward amount.

Just like the whole “TV set” silliness it just rings so false and stilted.

This headline makes me laugh

Well, The baby mama had to take Chuckles to court because he wasn’t paying child support or health insurance for the child. Not sure how it all played out, but his child support payment is $1,500 per month now …which I’m sure he also thinks is extortion.
Well ha, my bad. I figured he was in the childs life from June's testimony.

So his parents don't really care to see his kid? Just wendis?? Hm

Yes! Have been reviewing it because I missed so much of the trial today. Really, what struck me was CA grousing about having graduated from dental school (to include the three additional years he put in to become a periodontist) with $200,000 in student loans. That was in 2006. Later, when he was being questioned about where he was living in 2014 (the year that Prof. Dan Markel was offed), he stated that he had bought a house in 2006, where he said he continued to live for the next 16-20 years (that would bring us to 2022-2026 -- wth?). My point is, he was so poor that he was able to buy a home despite having $200,000 in student loan debt. And, I'll bet he paid cash for it. He said he was moonlighting while he was in dental school, and during his residency for dental school. Then he continued during his "perio" period, while he was learning the trade. [I don't know . . . have had a couple of Dark & Stormies, so I may be under the influence.]
I mean, I'd personally bet my left arm his parents bought his home.

Is Charlie still “with” the woman he has a kid with?

Mostly wonder in terms of if the baby momma lets Donna & co see the kid.

Would be some kind of karma if she didn’t.
Donna seems like a heartless person tbh I'm not sure she'd especially care
So, I’ve heard of situations where someone killed someone, and someone else finds out, and then the killer says “don’t go to the police or I will kill you.” I’ve also heard of the same situation, but the second person says “give me money or I will go to the police.”

This seems to be, according to Charlie, a little of both? Someone kills someone. Then tells another person about it, and says “Pay me money or I will kill you. And don’t go to the police, or I will also kill you.”

Do I have that right?
Charlie is saying the hitmen did the hit on CHANCE he'd potentially pay them "a third of a million dollars" which *check notes* I'm pretty sure... *checks notes again* yeah, nobody in the history of time has ever been like "I need a third of a million dollars from you, a guy I've never met, bc I just rented a Prius to drive 3 hours, get high on coke, and kill your ex-brother-in-law, another guy I don't know, muahaha!!" as if that is believable in any sense

KM proffer -- nothing her fault. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

ETA: Let's be clear -- KM didn't ask SG, she directed SG! She says that SG is not a bad person (as did LR).

I think it's fair to say that the most honest of the bunch here are LR and SG, and the real reason KM will not commit to her communication between them is because both LR and SR can impeach KM's statements because they will be believed over her!

KM confirms SG did it so she could have money (won't commit to how much she got or when she received money. Won't commit she took her share before delivering package to SG/LR).
I've just started listening to the first proffer vid

And the way I would recommend more time to her life sentence if I had to sit in the room and listen to her lie, ha. Aggravating.

Why kill Dan? Why not just go to Charlie and threaten to kill him if he doesnt give them 300k in 48 hours?

Are they claiming it was 300k because they’re trying to tie it together with the amount the family was willing to pay for Dan to move? Why? Makes their job more difficult. Why not just say they asked for 100k?

They killed Dan because they wanted the bribe money, but only wanted Charlie's portion of it. The killers were not so greedy that they would want the other 667k. And even though Charlie bragged before that he could cover the whole million dollars, they were fine with 130k up front and then a payment plan of 3k/month for the remaining 203k over 67 months. lol.

The killers who stalked and hunted Dan Markel 480 miles from Miami over 2 murder trips and were brazen enough to shoot him in his face, on his driveway in broad daylight - were not so brazen as to ever confront Charlie personally who lived about 8 minutes away.

Charlie agreed to a 333k settlement to pay the actual killers of Dan Markel and he took these threats so seriously he paid the morning after the murder, no questions asked. But when the copycat extortionists wanted 5k, he had a series of secret meetings with Katie and his parents trying to get to the bottom of it and never did pay it because he figured out it was JUST the POLICE.

Yeah, that makes total sense.

Last edited:
Charlie is saying the hitmen did the hit on CHANCE he'd potentially pay them "a third of a million dollars" which *check notes* I'm pretty sure... *checks notes again* yeah, nobody in the history of time has ever been like "I need a third of a million dollars from you, a guy I've never met, bc I just rented a Prius to drive 3 hours, get high on coke, and kill your ex-brother-in-law, another guy I don't know, muahaha!!" as if that is believable in any sense
And the hitmen were jittery and nervous at least SG was, remember that bus camera footage of the Prius driving down a road right after the shooting and you can see the white shirted passenger (SG) pretty much bouncing off the walls in the car.

Plus if they were acting of their own initiative with no guarantee of payment why didn’t they just be persistent the first trip in June and get the murder done then and there? It was FAR away like 12 hours round trip.

LR has said he’s a “jackboy” with oodles of experience robbing drug dealers I believe it that neither him nor SG ever killed anyone before thus they were doing a JOB and not freelancing hoping someone would find it in their hearts and wallets to pay them for taking the initiative.

Well ha, my bad. I figured he was in the childs life from June's testimony.

So his parents don't really care to see his kid? Just wendis?? Hm
IMO, that's the rub: They were happy "playing house" complete with a family dog (per June), and when things went sideways (around COVID time), he pulled the paternity card. I despise those dudes that take that path only to delay judgement and injure the petitioner.

I have no evidence to support whether or not there's any relationship between CA's child and his parents and making assumptions based on CA's own attitude (which required court intervention for support enforcement).

I don't know if the baby momma at one time being the nanny to WA's former boyfriend (David?) when dating WA had any influence on the relationship or lack of by DA/HA. (I think this was the boyfriend DA really liked).

I dunno. DA probably didn't think the mother good enough for CA, and therefore, by default, the child either. JMO

LR has said he’s a “jackboy” with oodles of experience robbing drug dealers I believe it that neither him nor SG ever killed anyone before thus they were doing a JOB and not freelancing hoping someone would find it in their hearts and wallets to pay them for taking the initiative.
^^rsbm

I agree and here's another example of how stupid and inexperienced these two hitmen were: According to LR, SG got out of the vehicle, coked up, higher than a kite, and walked up to Dan's vehicle while carrying a weapon LR bought on the street corner, that neither one of them had ever test fired before! It could have jammed, trajectory skewed, whatever. This was also the gun that went off, hitting the floorboard, and severed the gas line. JMO

^^rsbm

I agree and here's another example of how stupid and inexperienced these two hitmen were: According to LR, SG got out of the vehicle, coked up, higher than a kite, and walked up to Dan's vehicle while carrying a weapon LR bought on the street corner, that neither one of them had ever test fired before! It could have jammed, trajectory skewed, whatever. This was also the gun that went off, hitting the floorboard, and severed the gas line. JMO
For sure. They did it for Katie only IMO. And she knew it from the start. And so did Charlie.

CA's big mistake trialwise was not realizing very early on his goose was cooked no matter what. He should've fallen on his sword for his family, claimed he was solely responsible for arranging the hit with KA and that the other Adelsons had no part. Maybe should've negotiated some reverse plea deal that they would be left alone. Now after he gets convicted, the state should and will go after WA and DA. They might not have enough to go after HA.

Unrelated note:

This post by DM from 2005 - The Adelsons put on a good front to attend RA's wedding to his Hindu doctor wife (apparently they didn't approve bc she wasn't Jewish which is laughable in retrospect). It has pics of everyone in happier times. CA's dead-eye looking stare into the camera is haunting)

Last edited:
For sure. They did it for Katie only IMO. And she knew it from the start. And so did Charlie.
Tim Jansen said it takes a special skillset to be dating a dentist but get your baby daddy to go kill for you. He also said SG couldnt get thr phone numbet right to call the FBI plant much less for SG & LR to front the $ for the trip, know where DM lived, his name, and go kill someone for $. Also, i dont believe LR or SG had ever killed before.

<modsnip - FF is NOT an approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:
There are multiple anonymous tip lines in Florida (crimeline, crimestoppers, etc.) specifically for reporting crimes that provide complete anonymity with no call tracing specifically for situations where the caller does not wish to be known to the police. Reporting the "extortion" and/or the murder would have provided some credibility for the Adelsons. Clearly, they had no interest in "solving" either scenario. I remain confident the jury will see completely through all of this nonesense.

Looks like much of the gallery felt like they could watch the rest of the direct exam. from home….because he lost more than half his audience by the end
Even I switched off and instead watched the STS commentary show later in the evening.
Prior to that, like @nodamselindistress I fell asleep while CA was testifying & I think my threshold for boring trial days is quite high

PS Contrary to predictions from John Singer yesterday lunchtime, STS panel last night said that they're now predicting Georgia starts her cross in the afternoon and completes it before the weekend. ( That she'll only take 2-4 hrs for cross)
PPS Grateful for @katiecoolady 's last commentary of the evening ' don't worry about the jury' ( Re the previous discussion re rogue jurors and plants)

Last edited:
Friday, November 3rd:
*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 8:30am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Charles Jay Adelson (37 @ time of crime/45/now 46) was indicted (4/20/22), arrested & charged (4/21/22) & booked (in Leon County 4/25/22) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder & solicitation to commit murder. No bond (denied bond 4/26/22). Bond release denied (9/9/22).
Jury selection set to begin on 10/23/23 & ended on 10/25/23. 12 Jurors & 3 alternates (8 men & 7 women; 7 white men, 1 Black man, 2 white women & 5 Black women)
Trial began on 10/26/23. (thru 11/9/23). State rested their case on 11/1/23. Defense began on 11/1/23. From 9am 5:30pm except Wednesdays from 9am-5pm/5:15pm
Circuit Judge Stephen Everett presiding. Prosecutor Georgia Cappleman. Defense attorney Daniel Rashbaum & Kate Meyers.

Court info from 4/21/22 thru 10/23/23 & Jury Selection Day 1-3 (10/23-10/25/23) & Trial Day 1-5 (10/26-11/1/23) reference post #1098 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-15.694569/page-55

11/2/23 Thursday, Trial Day 6: Defense witness: Charlie Adelson.
For more info see post #230 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-16.694864/page-11
And post #439 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-16.694864/page-22
Rashbaum says he likely has about an hour left of direct examination. He doesn’t believe the defense will be calling any additional witnesses.
Cappleman says she doesn’t think she’ll be calling any additional witnesses in rebuttal. Trial continues on Friday, 11/3/23.

I’m not saying she’s the smartest tool in the shed, but it appears her appellate attorneys filed appeal brief 9-20-2022. Her first proffer was around 10-11-2022. Some of us saw it last night via MentourLawyer’s Patreon page, in it she said that she’s telling them more than she ever told her attorneys (they aren’t there when she’s talked to) and she appears to say she didn’t even know what she was being called in for, she was very surprised for a good portion of it.

With that timing, it’s possible she still wanted to appeal and had no idea they’d come to talk to her with a camera and multiple people and everything. It’s unclear if her attorneys were notified but it is clear, both from what they tell her and what she says to them, that she’s talking to law enforcement without any of them present.
Ah! That's helpful context - she'd already worked on her appeal & then filed in September, before the first proffer.

Am going to reserve judgement on the extent of KM's deception until I've watched all those proffer interviews, maybe listen to them during jury deliberations. ( From the limited portion MentourLawyer first published, seemed to me that there might be a few truthful statements mixed in with the lies. eg I think it's possible that CA deliberately omitted the name ' Dan Markel' from 'The Paper' & his subtle warnings to her - eg that ' The Paper' could never be traced back to him- seem telling)

Donna seems like a heartless person tbh I'm not sure she'd especially care

The drove about 7 hours (14 round trip). Twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia