FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, FL Keys,14 May 2017 #2 *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Curious?

Looking at photos the cat appears to have 2, two keels. If that opening is for a daggerboard and that keel was able to take on water wouldn't that cause the cat to flip?

That might be like a centreboard in a single keeled boat. As I recall, you'd pull up the centreboard as you approached shallow water, sometimes completely removing it to fet it out of the way. But the boat wouldn't take on water, there was a casing built around the slot, that somehow sealed it off from the rest of the hull.

Also, the slot in the photo is above the waterline, so I don't think that could be the source of the leak. The hole would have to be below the waterline in order to let water in. Maybe authorities didn'treleased the photos of the hull damage.

Curious?

Looking at photos the cat appears to have 2, two keels. If that opening is for a daggerboard and that keel was able to take on water wouldn't that cause the cat to flip?

I think this might have been posted before, but posting again:

The cat was described as an Orana 44, here is a pic & plan (page 10 of the document): http://www.fountainepajot.com.au/wp...01/Fountaine-Pajot-2012.2013-Brochure-web.pdf

I think there might be confusion about the pictures that have been posted here, and the description of damage quoted in an article I can't find right now; I don't think we've seen pictures of the missing parts of the hull/propeller (If I've missed them please correct me).

I've also been rereading articles to try and map where exactly Bennett was picked up & the cat last seen, to correlate with the various phone calls & times mentioned. This one has quite a lot of detail worth wading through, but there's a lot of third-hand "he said, she said": http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/l...mystery-missing-woman/5reNR5lTYpl2kcOKNxdxaP/

I think this might have been posted before, but posting again:

The cat was described as an Orana 44, here is a pic & plan (page 10 of the document): http://www.fountainepajot.com.au/wp...01/Fountaine-Pajot-2012.2013-Brochure-web.pdf

Sorry to harp on this, but there's some misinformation about the boat that came from the Palm Beach Post.

The coast guard described the boat that sank as a 37 foot catamaran called Surf into Summer, they didn't describe the make.

The 37 foot boat that sank can't possibly be an Orana 44, because that type of boat is 44 feet long.

A quick way to show it's not the same is to compare the windows in the photos of the sinking boat. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/l...surf-into-summer-boat/YrPSbfWDiECBhBtJSkyJWO/ with the windows of an Orana 44 http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/cate...Pajot/Orana+44

I would love to know who is "business partner" is. The one he called while his boat was sinking and his wife was missing.

Sorry but I'm sticking to the opinion that no respectful man would let his inexperienced wife hold down the fort in the middle of the ocean in the dark. If they needed rest that badly, why did they even bother leaving at 530 PM? Why not sleep on the docked boat and wait until the morning? Or get a hotel? With all those silver coins, he surely could have afforded a hotel for a night. Then they could have left in the morning, she could have kept watch during the day, and him at night. What kind of loving husband doesn't do everything in his power to protect his wife, the mother of his daughter?

Exactly. And why were they delayed a few days and he didn't ensure Isabella got home in time for her family's party.

Where was Isabella and Bennett those 2 weeks in the Caribbean. Why did they make other stops on other islands and where were they most of those 2 weeks.

And why, again, did Isabella mentioned the business partner and his knowledge of satellite phones in the phone call home a few hours before she went missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to harp on this, but there's some misinformation about the boat that came from the Palm Beach Post.

The coast guard described the boat that sank as a 37 foot catamaran called Surf into Summer, they didn't describe the make.

The 37 foot boat that sank can't possibly be an Orana 44, because that type of boat is 44 feet long.

A quick way to show it's not the same is to compare the windows in the photos of the sinking boat. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/l...surf-into-summer-boat/YrPSbfWDiECBhBtJSkyJWO/ with the windows of an Orana 44 http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/cate...Pajot/Orana+44

Thanks, Satchie!

This begs the question -- who stated that the boat is an Orana 44, and what is/was it really?

Bennett seems to have been involved in, um, interesting business deals. When he purchased this catamaran, was there something special about the transaction?

Soooo many questions!

Best wishes, Baby Bennett, are you walking now to the delight of your grandparents?

Thank you for reminding me of this - I don't think you're harping at all! I *had* read the 37' v 44' before, & forgotten about it.

It makes the story even more confusing than it already was/is :(. And thank you for the link to all the pictures: quite clearly that is not an Orana. I'm no boat expert, but that looks like a much older design from what I can see (shape of windows etc).

It's most perplexing, and is taking my mind on all sorts of wild & fanciful speculation.

Thanks, Satchie!

This begs the question -- who stated that the boat is an Orana 44, and what is/was it really?

Bennett seems to have been involved in, um, interesting business deals. When he purchased this catamaran, was there something special about the transaction?

Soooo many questions!

Best wishes, Baby Bennett, are you walking now to the delight of your grandparents?

This article says:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/l...mystery-missing-woman/5reNR5lTYpl2kcOKNxdxaP/

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority says the 1986 Fountaine Pajot Orana 44 lists Sydney as its home port. Antoine Lebreton, a French national, included in an online résumé that he’d gone to St. Maarten, on the Dutch side of the Caribbean island of St. Martin, from November to December of 2013 to help Bennett refit the vessel, then called the Asteria.

Government officials in St. Maarten said they do not keep a log of boat sales. But in the October 2016 edition of the magazine “All At Sea Caribbean,” an ad for The Yacht Shop, a retailer with locations in St. Maarten and Toronto, listed a testimonial from Bennett saying staff “provided me with all the information to make a confident and informed purchase — sight unseen.” A call to that store was not returned.

The web page for a boating enthusiasts’ rally called the Pacific Puddle Jump says that in 2014, Bennett and the Asteria were scheduled to make an ambitious sail from St. Maarten to the Galapagos. Organizers say records don’t indicate if a person makes the sailing.

Part of my wild speculation is wondering whether 2 boats have been conflated in media reports, whether there's an Orana 44 sitting safely in an obscure port somewhere, or whether there's been some sort of "bait & switch" (for want of a better term) skullduggery.

I also note that the Australian registry mentions 1986, is that supposed to be the year built??

I too have SO many questions. I hope the FBI knows more than has been so far revealed.

ETA: for the sake of completing documentation here are the links for a couple of the references I quoted from the above article:
http://www.pacificpuddlejump.com/alumni/2014fleet.html
http://www.allatsea.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/all-at-sea-caribbean-1016.pdf (Page 67)

Tricia is still accepting donations; critical.
Thanks, Mercedes

I'm not surprised at dual citizenship.. I'm aware many people have dual citizenship, my boss included. I'm surprised that one is a dual citizen just because their parent(s) are U.K. citizen(s). I figured you'd have to apply for citizenship in the U.K. Even if your parents are citizens.

You do have to apply. My mother was a UK citizen and I only ever held a US passport, even though we traveled back and forth quite a bit. (In fact, until recently, having just a mother wasn't good enough--you had to have a UK father--but I think that's changed.)

Part of my wild speculation is wondering whether 2 boats have been conflated in media reports, whether there's an Orana 44 sitting safely in an obscure port somewhere, or whether there's been some sort of "bait & switch" (for want of a better term) skullduggery.

I also note that the Australian registry mentions 1986, is that supposed to be the year built??
http://www.pacificpuddlejump.com/alumni/2014fleet.html
http://www.allatsea.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/all-at-sea-caribbean-1016.pdf (Page 67)

Per your link above, Bennett sailed the Orana 44 to the Galapagos and French Polynesia, that's the normal route from the Caribbean to Australia. So I think it's probably there. It would explain why it's registered in Australia and why Bennett wanted to move back to Australia.

I'm not sure it's ever been confirmed that Bennett even owned the 37 ft boat that sank. What if his business partner owned the boat and he was just delivering it to Florida. It's very common for wealthy boat owners to hire other people to do that kind of thing, for eg it would probably have been unpleasantly hot in the Caribbean in May. That could explain why the guy in Australia knew how to troubleshoot the satellite phone, and was the person Bennett called when the boat got into trouble.

Hi guys! I've been loosely following along.

What concerned me was LB's description of "hearing a thud" that woke him and caused him to go above. I've read articles of boats colliding with cargo containers and even whales and usually the boat doesn't sink so quickly, if at all (but some do). However, in those cases the impact throws everyone around. How did Isabella get thrown overboard while LB didn't get thrown out of his bunk? Here's a description from a man named Thomas Ruyant whose boat likely collided with a cargo container:
The shock was exceptionally violent. It gives me the shivers just thinking about it. I was at 17-18 knots and came to a sudden standstill hitting what was probably a container seeing the damage it has done to the hull. The whole of the forward section exploded and folded up. Luckily the boat was not dismasted. It was really very violent. I was sleeping on my beanbag and fortunately I had my head down in that, as I ended up hitting the mast bulkhead. I found things that were stowed in the stern right up against the forward bulkhead. They got thrown 10m forward.”
http://gcaptain.com/vendee-globe-sa...boat-hits-shipping-container-off-new-zealand/

I also don't get why early reports said the hull only had scratches and now it's reported that there was damage. I was disappointed that the photos don't include any of the damaged hull. Hulls can be damaged by lots of things, even fire axes - if you get my meaning.

Anyway, I mainly came here to post the Criminal Complaint doc. I'm still searching for the 134-page report but no luck.

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/bennett-affidavit-1503955735.pdf

You do have to apply.

My understanding is that citizenship is automatically inherited but you have to claim it before your 18th birthday, otherwise it lapses. This is, I believe, so that children entitled to UK citizenship cannot be deported while they are minors, but that it's assumed if they want to continue as UK citizens they have to register it before they become adults.

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen/born-before-1983-to-british-mother

Every year there are stories in the newspapers of people, including middle aged and a few elderly people, being served deportation papers because they did not realise they needed to take action before they turned 18. Usually it gets sorted out providing the individual is not a criminal or regarded as a threat to society.

My mother was a UK citizen and I only ever held a US passport, even though we traveled back and forth quite a bit. (In fact, until recently, having just a mother wasn't good enough--you had to have a UK father--but I think that's changed.)

These are the rules. Note the point about being of "good character".

Thanks for the posting this!

Previous timeline update from this thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-2&p=13515770&highlight=timeline#post13515770 and here:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...FL-Keys-14-May-2017-1&p=13410266#post13410266

ISABELLA VANISHES: A TIMELINE

November 1975: Luz Stella Isabella Rodriguez is born in Colombia. She is believed to have moved to Florida some time in the 1990s.

April 1977: Lewis Bennett is born in Dorset area of southwest England. He attends public schools and at some point moves to Australia.

February 2002: Isabella marries William Hellmann. The two begin divorce proceedings in August 2012 in Palm Beach County Circuit Court in Delray Beach. Divorce is final in August 2014.

May 2011: Lewis Bennett registers Next Generation Solar in Australia.

November 2013: In St. Maarten, in the Caribbean, Bennett buys catamaran described as a 37-foot Fountaine Pajot Orana 44. He registers it in Australia.

2015: Isabella Hellmann and Lewis Bennett meet online.

August 2015: Bennett registers Next Generation Solar in Florida.

September 1, 2015: The owner of KITTY R purchases 617 collectible gold and silver coins for approximately $41,000.

early morning hours, May 5, 2016: Coins stolen.

May 8, 2016: Bennett files police reports of stolen coins, valued at $100,000, aboard KITTY R. No report was filed to insurance company as they were not insured.

May 10, 2016: Bennett flies from St. Maarten to Miami International.

July 2016: Amelia is born.

January 2017: The couple buys a condo at the Pine Ridge at Delray Beach development for $123,000.

February: The couple marry spontaneously in Atlanta.

March 18: Bennett flies from Fort Lauderdale to St. Maarten.

Bennett's boat, Surf Into Summer, is in St. Maarten.

April 8: Government officials in St. Maarten confirmed Bennett’s 1986 37-foot Fountaine Pajot Orana 44 catamaran came in, named "Surf Into Summer", listing Sydney, Australia as the home port. Bennett flies from St. Maarten back to Fort Lauderdale.

April 26 - Bennett flew from London to Fort Lauderdale and the couple was going to take a flight to the Caribbean to begin their trip. “They were supposed to go from St. Martin to Puerto Rico, from Puerto Rico to Cuba, and from Cuba to Key West,” her sister said. The couple would spend no more than two days at each island to rest and then sail to the next destination.

April 29: Bennett and Hellmann fly to St. Maarten. Hellman posted on Facebook: “Caribbean, here I come,” along with a map bearing a dotted line from South Florida to St. Maarten.

April 30: I The couple set sail. Government officials in St. Maarten confirmed Bennett’s boat left for the trip.

May 1 - Hellman posts from Puerto Rico, referencing "another day in paradise".

May 2 - Hellman posts from the British Virgin Islands.

May 3 - Hellman's cellphone breaks and all contact from this point on was through Bennett's iPad.

??? - Isabella told her sister she would be back by May 12 to attend her sister's graduation on Saturday.

??? - Isabella told her sister that for five days straight they would not be able to talk.

May 11 or 12 - Isabella's sister received a call from her but found it strange that every other time, Isabella asked about the baby and asked detailed questions, but not this time, she just asked if they were getting ready for the graduation. Her sister still thought Isabella was going to surprise her at the ceremony. But Saturday the 12th came and went and no sign of Isabella.

May 14, 5:30 p.m.: The couple reportedly leaves Varadero, Cuba a resort town about 75 miles east of Havana.

May 14, 8:00 p.m. - Bennett goes below deck to sleep, leaving Hellman at the helm of the boat wearing a life vest.

May 14 - 8:25 p.m. - Hellman called her sister: ‘Oh hi, we just connected the phone, it’s been really hard for us to connect it cause his [Bennett’s] friend told me it’s hard. I’m in the middle of the ocean right now, we left Cuba. I’ll see you tomorrow.'

May 14 - 1:00 a.m.-1:35 a.m. - Bennett said he awoke to something hitting the boat and felt that it was starting to sink. Bennett used a satellite phone to call the International Response Coordination Center, a private company, which passed the SOS to the Coast Guard. When he saw the catamaran was taking on water, he dropped the lifeboat into the water and got into it, fired his emergency position beacon (EPIRB). The catamaran was now 30 miles west of Cay Sal, which is about 100 miles southeast of Key West and about 130 miles east-northeast of Havana.

May 15 - 3:00 a.m. - Hellman's sister said she woke up to several missed calls and voice mails. One was from the satellite phone from Bennett who said, 'this is an emergency, you need to call the Coast Guard. This is my coordinates.'

May 15 - ??? - Bennett’s business partner left a voicemail for Hellman's sister.

May 15 - 4:30 a.m.-4:50 a.m. - The Coast Guard chopper pinpointed Bennett floating in a life raft with a personal locator beacon about 1,000 yards from the now upside-down Surf into Summer and in about 4,800 feet of water. Bennett said the USCG allowed him to retrieve a backpack from the catamaran; in it was his iPad, the satellite phone, chargers, his wallet, and documents related to the boat. A basket pulled Bennett from his raft in 2-to-4-foot seas and taken to Marathon Key, FL. He told the USCG he was unable to find his wife and had no choice but to abandon the vessel.
(We later find out he is also carrying various coins which the CG was surprised the backpack was "very heavy". In additional, to Bennett, the life raft also contained: one backpack, a suit case, unexpanded parachute flares, 14 gallons of water, an electronic emergency locating device and nine plastic tubes wrapped with clear tape containing in total 158 “Year of the Horse” British silver coins and 77 Canadian Maple Leaf silver coins.)

May 15 - ??? - The Coast Guard called Hellman's sister and asked to pick Bennett up in Marathon. Hellmann’s family picked him up that afternoon and brought him to their home in Boca Raton. Her sister said, “He was calm, he wasn’t crying or anything. When I saw him I ran to him and I hugged him and I said where is Isabella? And he said I don’t know.”

May 15 - within hours of when Bennett would have been rescued, a neighbor said she saw a car parked downstairs belonging to Hellmann’s sister.

May 18: Coast Guard officially calls off search.

May 19: Coast Guard responds to Bennett request for a “letter of presumed death,” saying it doesn’t have authority.

May 23: FBI briefly returned the coins to Bennett, then learned later in the day that they were stolen. At condo, officials, FBI investigators searched Bennett’s car, and interviewed him.

May 26: Coast Guard and FBI confirm that they are conducting a “missing persons investigation.”

May 27: Bennett claims he just returned from Cuba and "met the authorities there and checked every hospital, but there is no sign of her.”

May 28: In confrontation to which police are called, Hellmann’s sister screams accusations at Bennett, who had come to pick up Emelia at the family’s Boca Raton home.

May 30: Dailymail.com posts interview with Bennett at his suburban Delray Beach condominium in which he professes his innocence.

Just prior to June 1, FBI evidence tape seals the door.

June 14: Isabelle’s sister files in Palm Beach County Circuit Court in Palm Beach Gardens to take over Isabella’s finances.

June 16: FBI and USCGIS execute a search warrant and spend eight hours searching the couple’s condo and leave with several boxes.

June 21: Court papers are formally served on Bennett’s family home in Southampton, England.

June 28: Bennett says in a Facebook posting he has gone to England with Amelia. After receiving both supportive and critical comments, he takes down the post. He later closes his Facebook page altogether.

Has anyone turned up a registration or more information about Surf Into Summer, the 37 foot boat?

Do we know if this is the one Bennett purchased from the dealer -- leaving a review on line?

There are 2 different boats described -- one of my questions is Why?

If Bennett was delivering this boat, who was receiving her? Was that person/those people receiving the coins as well?

RIP Isabella; all our best Baby & Grandparents & Auntie!

:seeya:

Has anyone turned up a registration or more information about Surf Into Summer, the 37 foot boat?

Do we know if this is the one Bennett purchased from the dealer -- leaving a review on line?

There are 2 different boats described -- one of my questions is Why?

If Bennett was delivering this boat, who was receiving her? Was that person/those people receiving the coins as well?

RIP Isabella; all our best Baby & Grandparents & Auntie!

:seeya:

I've been trying to find more on the boat(s), failing so far.

You do have to apply. My mother was a UK citizen and I only ever held a US passport, even though we traveled back and forth quite a bit. (In fact, until recently, having just a mother wasn't good enough--you had to have a UK father--but I think that's changed.)

Automatic citizenship through a U.K. Born, British citizen Mother has been in place since 1983, when the requirement for a British father was removed.

My understanding is that citizenship is automatically inherited but you have to claim it before your 18th birthday, otherwise it lapses. This is, I believe, so that children entitled to UK citizenship cannot be deported while they are minors, but that it's assumed if they want to continue as UK citizens they have to register it before they become adults.

Every year there are stories in the newspapers of people, including middle aged and a few elderly people, being served deportation papers because they did not realise they needed to take action before they turned 18. Usually it gets sorted out providing the individual is not a criminal or regarded as a threat to society.

These are the rules. Note the point about being of "good character".

Those rules you quote are for people born before 1983. And do not apply in any case apply to this situation.

A child born abroad to a parent (mother or father) who was born in the U.K. IS AUTOMATICALLY BRITISH. There is no *need* to register or apply for citizenship, nor is there a age limit.

All one does is apply online for a passport, send the required documents to the UK, and around 2 weeks later, passport is delivered. It's really that simple nowadays! I have 4 British citizen children born overseas: I simply applied for their passports, none of them were required to registered.

Note that this only applies for first generation born abroad, it gets more complicated when/if the children wish to hand on their British citizenship.

There are cases where registration is necessary, with more complicated rules, but they simply don't apply here. They apply to different types of British citizenship (see the most recent rules https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...t_data/file/583385/MN1_Guide_January_2017.pdf)

Per your link above, Bennett sailed the Orana 44 to the Galapagos and French Polynesia, that's the normal route from the Caribbean to Australia. So I think it's probably there. It would explain why it's registered in Australia and why Bennett wanted to move back to Australia.

I'm not sure it's ever been confirmed that Bennett even owned the 37 ft boat that sank. What if his business partner owned the boat and he was just delivering it to Florida. It's very common for wealthy boat owners to hire other people to do that kind of thing, for eg it would probably have been unpleasantly hot in the Caribbean in May. That could explain why the guy in Australia knew how to troubleshoot the satellite phone, and was the person Bennett called when the boat got into trouble.

This is a most excellent post, and I tend to agree with you. I do not know where the confusion over the boats came from, it *could* be sloppy journalism.

I missed this posting until someone else responded to it, and I also want to respond. We do not know who owns the boat, but we do know the boat that sank is not a Orana 44. So you bring up very good points.

Still though, this guy hid stolen coins on the boat, in a raft, in a backpack, and in the shoes in the closet of a home he shared with his wife. He has told some people he is a plumber, and others is he a sailor. Plus he owns a solar company, which has nothing to do with plumbing or sailing. Perhaps he is a jack of all trades, or just a good liar.

He himself called in the loss of the coins from a boat to the police knowing full well HE stole them, then left the area days later with the very same stolen coins in tow. He's an established thief and liar based on the coins find alone. At this point, I have lost all faith in this guys 'word'. I don't trust him at all, and do not think it is far-fetched to conclude that this sinking of the boat was purposeful for some sort of profit measure - that we still do not know the complexity of yet. jmo

It just seems so risky to put your life at stake by sinking a boat in the middle of the ocean. My brain can't make sense of such a stupid plan or set of priorities. Even with two beacons and plenty of water, mother nature is not always cooperative and predictable, so the risk far outweighed the reward on that one, in my opinion. Maybe it was an accident, and maybe he was asleep and Isabella went overboard as he said. However, I don't think that boat sank quickly by any means, since he had time to pack his suitcases and get all his belongings on to the raft safely.

Also want to say that I believe this guy is really smart and would know that his calls could be traced. I don't feel the business contact he called is related to this tragedy, knowingly.

Wouldn't it be something if part or all of her remains washed up after Irma churned up everything? Wherever she is...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heartishome
Back