FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, FL Keys,14 May 2017 #2 *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's probably very likely that Bennet's parents are here in Florida with Emelia now that Bennet is in custody.

This only dawned on me after walking past a baby who looked just like Emelia this morning. The baby was with an older couple who were speaking another language. I think French, but not sure...

I highly doubt it was Emelia/ Bennet's parents but the encounter made me think it's possible they are here now.

It's probably very likely that Bennet's parents are here in Florida with Emelia now that Bennet is in custody.

This only dawned on me after walking past a baby who looked just like Emelia this morning. The baby was with an older couple who were speaking another language. I think French, but not sure...

I highly doubt it was Emelia/ Bennet's parents but the encounter made me think it's possible they are here now.

Great insight.

Let's hope his parents have more decency than he seems to have. If this truly was an accident, the tables could have been turned the other way right now and their son could be the one missing. I would hope they have the empathy and compassion to appreciate that Emelia's maternal grandparents deserve to be in her life too.

Maybe he has a court appearance this week?

Lewis Bennett entered a not-guilty plea Tuesday to transporting stolen coins and was officially informed his trial is set for Dec. 11. The courthouse in Key West remains closed for now (because of Hurricane Irma) but the Dec. 11 trial has been set for that venue. Bennett remains held without bond for now.

Tuesday’s hearing in federal court in Fort Lauderdale, which lasted less than a minute, never mentioned Bennett’s wife, Isabella Hellmann, whose disappearance in May has drawn far more interest than how he came to be in possession of thousands of dollars worth of stolen collectible coins. But the two incidents are inextricably linked.

Bennett separately filed court papers last week in Palm Beach County Circuit Court to have Hellmann declared dead so he may close out her estate. It’s not the first time he’s done that. In May, Bennett wrote to the U.S. Coast Guard within a day after it called off its four-day search and requested a “letter of presumed death,” something that agency said said it was not authorized to do.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/h...ot-guilty-coin-charge/nJpNk3Aup7A1mT1AZVsTiL/

This would be a good time for Isabella's family to re-petition for partial/temp grandparent custody. If they have too fly to England to get her as one of the conditions, so be it.

I understand your (and others’) feelings on this, but on what *legal* grounds do you think they could petition for any kind of custody? I’m not seeing any at the moment (IANAL, JMO, etc).

What grounds? The baby's parents are now both absent. The baby is better off with family, and family includes relatives from the father's side AND the mother's side. It's not exclusive to one side. I don't know any legalese, but if I were the grandparent I would most certainly look intqo my options.

What grounds? The baby's parents are now both absent. The baby is better off with family, and family includes relatives from the father's side AND the mother's side. It's not exclusive to one side. I don't know any legalese, but if I were the grandparent I would most certainly look intqo my options.

Especially since the maternal grandparents were pretty much involved in the child's life since she was born. They also must've been her temporary guardian while the parents were out of the country. The child was ripped from their lives and is now living in another country with relatives she barely knows.

If they can't find rest of the coins, I'd suggest they search the "business partner".

Would love for LE to confirm the business partner who Isabella spoke of on her last call to her sister about the satellite phone is the same business partner that left a vm for the sister in the wee hours saying that she needed to pick Bennet up from the Coast Guard. Would also like confirmation the person who was seen with Bennet helping him dump stuff from the apartment is also the said business partner.

What normal business partner has the phone number of your business partner's wife's sister?

I get that, totally. And agree that I’d be looking up options if I were the grandparents.

However, for the moment and as far as we know, baby *is* with family, and dad hasn’t done - or been accused/convicted of - anything that would merit removal of his parental authority by a court, yet.

In addition, grandparents’ visitation rights are a legal nightmare, especially Florida.
http://www.grandparents.com/family-...rents-rights/grandparent-rights-united-states

https://www.myfloridalaw.com/child-custody-law/grandparent-visitation-rights-florida/

And the legal statute:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0752/0752.html

Then there’s the hurdle if the child is in the UK (as rumoured):
http://www.thefamilylawco.co.uk/information/what-are-grandparents-rights/

https://www.gov.uk/contact-grandchild-parents-divorce-separate

Assuming for the moment, and for the sake of argument, that Bennett is convicted in relation to the theft of the coins, do we know what sort of sentence he is likely to be looking at?

Assuming for the moment, and for the sake of argument, that Bennett is convicted in relation to the theft of the coins, do we know what sort of sentence he is likely to be looking at?

The federal law for transporting stolen stuff over $5,000 is punishable with up to 10 years. The actual stealing didn't occur in the U.S. He could perhaps face charges elsewhere. Can't imagine someone would get much prison time for transporting stolen goods but I'm no authority on this.

Maybe Gitana can pipe in about custody of Emelia with the grand parents. Would be interested in hearing her thoughts...

Is anyone checking court documents for any motions regarding custody of Emelia?

I don't really care who gets custody, as long as Isabella's family is able to visit and be apart of her life.

Husband wants wife he reported missing at sea in May declared dead by court

October 6, 2017

Isabella Hellmann’s body was never found after her husband reported she went missing at sea in May as they sailed on a belated honeymoon trip, but now he is asking a court to declare her dead.

A hearing before a Palm Beach County judge is scheduled for Oct. 19th. Hellmann’s husband, Lewis Bennett, is currently in Broward jail on federal charges related to stolen gold and silver coins.

[...]

According to court documents, Hellmann’s assets include her West Delray condo and a 2006 Mercedes-Benz C230, totalling about $125,000 in value.

If they grant his request ro have her declared deceased, can they then arrest him for homicide? Doubtful but an interesting thought.

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

Prosecutors cite evidence in coin-case theft of missing woman’s husband

October 12, 2017

Federal prosecutors have detailed in court a trove of evidence related to Lewis Bennett’s arrest on charges he transported as much as $100,000 in stolen coins.
The evidence also might shed light on what authorities know about the reported disappearance of Bennett’s wife, suburban Delray Beach real estate broker Isabella Hellmann.

But while a list of the federal “discovery” was posted this week in the federal docket, the items themselves are not public. Unlike state courts, in the federal system, discovery is limited to the parties unless any of it is formally filed as an exhibit, U.S. Attorney’s spokeswoman Annette Lima said Thursday.

Neither she nor the attorney for Bennett would comment on either the discovery list or the case in general.

Husband wants wife he reported missing at sea in May declared dead by court

October 6, 2017

Isabella Hellmann’s body was never found after her husband reported she went missing at sea in May as they sailed on a belated honeymoon trip, but now he is asking a court to declare her dead.

A hearing before a Palm Beach County judge is scheduled for Oct. 19th. Hellmann’s husband, Lewis Bennett, is currently in Broward jail on federal charges related to stolen gold and silver coins.

[...]

According to court documents, Hellmann’s assets include her West Delray condo and a 2006 Mercedes-Benz C230, totalling about $125,000 in value.
I hope they don't grant it. He'll sell everything and disappear. Isn't it usually a 7-10 year waiting period?

I hope they don't grant it. He'll sell everything and disappear. Isn't it usually a 7-10 year waiting period?

Not if it is someone who went missing at sea... something that overwhelmingly leans to the odds of death happening. He can do that now in her case.

Eta: Amy Bradley's parents started the process of having her declared dead 6 months after she went missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal
Back