FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, SE of the FL Keys, 14 May 2017 #1 *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is certain that even her belongings do not belong to her family. He is her surviving spouse.

They are on security camera footage trespassing. It seems cut and dry to me.

Stealing evidence is tampering with and disposal of evidence-- very very bad on their part.

However, from what I have read, he seems to have made suggestions that he was going to leave the country by the end of May (and this was May 29?), so the family could have predicted that he could become a person of interest and the iPad at least might have some evidence on it that the FBI might find interesting and they wanted back some gifts they had given her.

On the other hand, if he was preparing to leave the country within days, he did not have time to wait around for the police to do their job especially if a court case was in the offing. He wanted the things then.

IMO, he would have had his passports in that backpack with everything else of value so he could have told an untruth about only having a piece of paper and could not leave the country. Did he leave the country fir Cuba AFTER he had told the sister that?

I have been wondering whether he is now under surveillance from the FBI as they would not want him to leave the country. But, I guess if they don't have the evidence to charge him with anything, he could fly to a country like Brazil which does not have an extradition treaty telling others he is going to the UK or Australia. Does the baby have a passport?

What role will his "business partner" now play in this? Is he living in the condo with LB? Will he stay there if LB leaves the USA? Has LB's visa expired? I think he is only able to stay in the USA 90 days. Does the marriage to a US citizen now make a difference to the length of time he can stay there? Will his "business partner" be the one who is going to get the catamaran to the US so it can be inspected or will the FBI now have to do that? Having the baby will restrict LB's movements somewhat. For the baby's sake, I would rather that she was with her mother's family.

IMO, LB is guilty so I just hope he is not allowed to leave USA now. However, I guess he would have to be arrested first and he knows that so let's see what happens next.

However, from what I have read, he seems to have made suggestions that he was going to leave the country by the end of May (and this was May 29?), so the family could have predicted that he could become a person of interest and the iPad at least might have some evidence on it that the FBI might find interesting and they wanted back some gifts they had given her.

On the other hand, if he was preparing to leave the country within days, he did not have time to wait around for the police to do their job especially if a court case was in the offing. He wanted the things then.

IMO, he would have had his passports in that backpack with everything else of value so he could have told an untruth about only having a piece of paper and could not leave the country. Did he leave the country fir Cuba AFTER he had told the sister that?

I have been wondering whether he is now under surveillance from the FBI as they would not want him to leave the country. But, I guess if they don't have the evidence to charge him with anything, he could fly to a country like Brazil which does not have an extradition treaty telling others he is going to the UK or Australia. Does the baby have a passport?

What role will his "business partner" now play in this? Is he living in the condo with LB? Will he stay there if LB leaves the USA? Has LB's visa expired? I think he is only able to stay in the USA 90 days. Does the marriage to a US citizen now make a difference to the length of time he can stay there? Will his "business partner" be the one who is going to get the catamaran to the US so it can be inspected or will the FBI now have to do that? Having the baby will restrict LB's movements somewhat. For the baby's sake, I would rather that she was with her mother's family.

IMO, LB is guilty so I just hope he is not allowed to leave USA now. However, I guess he would have to be arrested first and he knows that so let's see what happens next.

So, I assume he has insurance on the boat. But I guess the boat is not considered a total loss. I wonder how much the insurance policy will pay him for the damages? Also, hasn't he already left the country? (Maybe I just dreamed that . . . .)

The backpack, or ditch bag as you call it, contained his iPad, the satellite phone, chargers, his wallet, and papers regarding the boat.

He used a EPIRB — an Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon — as well as personal locator beacon.

I wonder why Isabella didn't have any one of these important items on/with/near her. Why did he have the Radio Beacon, satellite hone, and a personal locator beacon handy and not her?

Not a problem. Bag likely at helm

The backpack, or ditch bag as you call it, contained his iPad, the satellite phone, chargers, his wallet, and papers regarding the boat.

He used a EPIRB — an Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon — as well as personal locator beacon.

I wonder why Isabella didn't have any one of these important items on/with/near her. Why did he have the Radio Beacon, satellite hone, and a personal locator beacon handy and not her?

As Hiandmighty is demonstrating experienced boaters know these things about backpacks what they are called, where they are located etc.

Inexperienced boaters likely don't know these things (me:)). And I believe it was reported that IH wasn't an experienced boater. She may not have known.

I have no idea what happened, but... I don't think him leaving the US with the child is remotely suspicious. He's now a single dad to a young baby who also has to provide for himself/her. We know that his past jobs seemed to involve sailing and a lot of travel -- trips that it won't be feasible to bring the baby on. He appears to have no support network in the US at all and when he and Isabella went on this trip, they left their daughter with her family... who now hates him, has accused him of murder and possibly stole from him. *Of course* he's returning to Australia. What else would anyone possibly do in his position? (On top of all of that, he's not a US citizen, so it's not even clear what exactly his rights to live and work in the US are.)

He's either returning to Australia or England. I believe his family is in England, that's where he grew up. Days prior to the trip, he flew from London to Fort Lauderdale so I see him going to England over Australia. I *think* the "business partner" is out of Australia though.

He must've lived most of his adult life in Australia?

It does seem strange to intentionally destroy a boat, potentially makes this more likely this was an accident.

Though, maybe the insurance on the boat would be easier to handle rather than having to sail it to Australia ...

Don't you all agree that if there is significant destruction on the boat that is unseen because it is under water that it would be less likely that he purposely did this?

I do feel bad for her family. They believe they will find her, and they aren't getting many comments or shares on the find isabella page.

It does seem strange to intentionally destroy a boat, potentially makes this more likely this was an accident.

Though, maybe the insurance on the boat would be easier to handle rather than having to sail it to Australia ...

And also to put yourself in a survival situation in a life raft at the mercy of the elements for 3-5 hours in the dark in the sea....

Don't you all agree that if there is significant destruction on the boat that is unseen because it is under water that it would be less likely that he purposely did this?

I do feel bad for her family. They believe they will find her, and they aren't getting many comments or shares on the find isabella page.

"Coast Guard Miami spokesman Eric Woodall told the Palm Beach Post that there was no evidence that the boat had been struck".http://nypost.com/2017/05/25/fbi-investigating-case-of-newlywed-mom-missing-at-sea/

You think they are saying this based off one hull they can see?

I feel bad for her family, not only losing Isabella (accident or not) but they are potentially losing a grandchild at least in terms of having a meaningful close relationship with her when he moves away:(.

Yes because they did not apparently go underwater to even look for her because the water conditions were too dangerous.

But like we have noticed, the reporting has been less than perfect

Yes because they did not apparently go underwater to even look for her because the water conditions were too dangerous.

But like we have noticed, the reporting has been less than perfect

They didn't say that the water conditions were dangerous, just that it was dangerous for them to inspect (I took that to mean that they didn't have an experienced underwater diver).

When he was rescured 3 hours after sending a distress signal, an article mentioned that the waves were 2-4 feet.

Another thing I'd like to mention is that if he jumped into the life raft at 1:30 a.m. when he put out the distress signal, why was he only 1,000 yards (3 hours later) from the overturned boat and Isabella, who we assume also went overboard just minutes(?) earlier and she was no where to be found??

For 3 hours he was able float alongside the catamaran?

Another thing I'd like to mention is that if he jumped into the life raft at 1:30 a.m. when he put out the distress signal, why was he only 1,000 yards (3 hours later) from the overturned boat and Isabella, who we assume also went overboard just minutes(?) earlier and she was no where to be found??

For 3 hours he was able float alongside the catamaran?

He drifted over half a mile from the catamaran. It's possible that Isabella's body drifted a similar distance but was not noticed in the darkness because of being so much smaller and doing nothing to draw attention to itself. Maybe by the time there was daylight she had drifted beyond the range of the immediate search area and kept on drifting beyond it as it expanded.

No way to know. Perhaps he held on a line attached to the boat (ideally You want to stay with the boat... that is your best chance at survival).

Maybe she wasn't wearing life jacket and she hit head going overboard, unconscious, drowned, sunk. (Terrible) (and this assumes he didn't kill her)...

If she was wearing life jacket and if she was conscious and able to call to him and if she went over at the point of impact when he awoke, he might have found her.

It was pitch black dark. If she couldnt call or signal to him, that seriously lessened her chances of him finding her. Many life jackets have a light or whistle for this reason.

She very well may not have had her life vest on. They are uncomfortable, even the fanny pack automatic deploy ones. It is always very tempting to not wear one.

I found this interesting to read because it tells us a little of their history too.

‘Don’t leave with baby,’ friend told Isabella Hellmann’s husband

In this article, it says LB told her he is going to Australia but he told a neighbour he was going to England. If he is guilty, I wonder if he will go somewhere else.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...ella-hellmann-husband/29MTelJJDnOiiRai7yYGjJ/

Also this link:

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-s-p...close-friend-opens-up-about-marriage-troubles

Just noticed this comment: "If cops would have listened when we called Sunday afternoon we could have told them he left with a whole lot of luggage in a Uber Sunday at 3:30."

Are there any other boaters reading along on this thread? I hate to be the only one speaking up because we have a motor boat and we don't overnight (cause who wants to take turns keeping watch? Not us!)

Are there any other boaters reading along on this thread? I hate to be the only one speaking up because we have a motor boat and we don't overnight (cause who wants to take turns keeping watch? Not us!)

I'm a boater but no overnight experience or international sea travel. AND no catamaran or sailing vessel experience..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom