FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, SE of the FL Keys, 14 May 2017 #1 *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how in the case of a missing person the vessel is still the sole responsibility of the owner! That seems to weird. And a really GREAT way to murder someone.

It probably is why we have seen similar cases of this sort of thing.

I linked the below case earlier in the thread of how this reminds me so much of this other case and how lots of people feel the boy murdered his Mom. I think the case is still unsolved.

Plus we have had other cases on cruise ships of people going overboard under strange circumstances.

Unless investigators begin to pursue these investigations then maybe it is a good way to off someone.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/26/man-missing-for-8-days-at-sea-found-safe.html

Unless investigators begin to pursue these investigations then maybe it is a good way to off someone.

Hmmmm.....now how to get my ex-husband to go sailing with me.....;)

Whatever time frame he gave, I would think it's his word, not verified fact.

Exactly. A lot of this is his word. And who knows what his word is good for. No one has really come forward saying what an amazing man and father he is, at least that I can remember.

No, I did not watch/listen to them. I was just imagining Gloria from Modern Family and projecting my ability to understand foreign accents on to the situation :). (BTW, I looooove that accent)

Sophia vergara's accent is everything!! I love her accent so much. Happy modern family Friday! Lol

So, they were together for 4 years. AFTER the baby was born they decided to get married. Voluntarily. Isabella already knew how he was about the baby and where he wanted to live. She married him anyway. Did she lie and agree to things then change her mind? Did he? We don't know.

Also, she was in constant contact via her iPad. She switched to the satellite phone after they left Cuba. She could have telephoned from anywhere on land during the time between sails, and she could have alerted her sister during the 8:45 pm call if she felt unhappy, in danger, whatever. Isabella chose to marry, chose to go on the trip, and they each took turns at the helm. For all we know, he could have taken the whole overnight leg the night before and hadn't slept at all.

<modsnip>

I do know that performance (from my reading) are easier to flip and that cruisers are much safer, but I am reading and seeing instances of catamarans flipping and the majority they say are "pilot error".

I would like to note that I'm not a boater, so this is all I'm reading. I defer to your expertise but I am seeing it happens although admittedly not often for cruisers.

Catching up... someone else may have brought this up... but if he *intentionally* piloted it in such a way as to *make* it flip, in the middle of the night in the middle of the ocean, he was risking a death sentence himself. He was lucky that (1) he was actually able to get to a lifeboat and deploy it, (2) his lifeboat stayed afloat and didn't get swamped by a wave, (3) his emergency messages got through, (4) that the coast guard was able to find him in the middle of the ocean, and (5) that he was rescued quickly and it didn't take two weeks to find him. Thinking of all the very real risks and many things that could go wrong...

So... high&mighty has me convinced... It was most likely an accident.

Which doesn't mean they weren't having marital problems, and if they were arguing constantly over how and where to raise the baby... well, his feelings toward her may not have been as positive as they once were which could certainly effect his level of grief and how he expressed it. And her family's attitude towards and treatment of him may have negatively influenced his feelings and behavior. Who knows, maybe they had wanted her to stay with the ex husband, or maybe they were very insular as a family and didn't get along with any in-laws. All sorts of personal dynamics go on in families, just because they didn't like him it doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with him. Certainly, publicly accusing him of murder isn't going to give him warm fuzzies and make him want to facilitate a relationship between them and his daughter.

[This actually reminds me of another case, where a man disappeared, his family in another state very vocally voiced their suspicions of his wife all over SM, repeatedly slammed her while saying the first wife was so wonderful, there were all sorts of signs that it was likely a suicide which they completely rejected as a possibility while outright accusing the wife of murder... eventually his body was found and it was a suicide. And then they complained that the wife wasn't sending her son to visit them. &#129300;]

And of course he took the baby with him, he's her father.

On another note, and I'm sure OT... I have heard many stories about (and seen up live and personal on three different occasions) relatives go into the home of a relative who was either newly deceased, sent to a nursing home, and in one case in the hospital and not expected to survive, and ... well, let's say remove "mementos" that perhaps their legal right to was a bit... hazy. The person whose mother was hospitalized was quite surprised when she unexpectedly survived, and she was publicly talking about how she had to get everything back in the house before her mother was released. In other cases siblings were fighting about what the other siblings took.

Not saying that anything like that was what happened here... I'm sure the family just figured that with the accident the baby would be with them longer than planned and they went to pick up more baby stuff... but, ya' know... just sayin'...

MOO, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

(BTW! I'm going camping in a little bit for the weekend and my big boating weekend is next weekend. If I disappear, I expect no less than 2 threads and DH didn't do it!)

I keep looking for new articles but have found none today.

You got it! :happydance: (And I won't let them accuse him either.)

So, they were together for 4 years. AFTER the baby was born they decided to get married. Voluntarily. Isabella already knew how he was about the baby and where he wanted to live. She married him anyway. Did she lie and agree to things then change her mind? Did he? We don't know.

Also, she was in constant contact via her iPad. She switched to the satellite phone after they left Cuba. She could have telephoned from anywhere on land during the time between sails, and she could have alerted her sister during the 8:45 pm call if she felt unhappy, in danger, whatever. Isabella chose to marry, chose to go on the trip, and they each took turns at the helm. For all we know, he could have taken the whole overnight leg the night before and hadn't slept at all.

<modsnip>

If she was in fact in danger, we don't know that she was, but it's likely she wouldn't have known she was either.

Her friends and family said she told them she "had to take the trip with him" to bring the boat back.. it doesn't seem like this was something she was totally gung ho about.

Also, when she talked to her sister they had just left Cuba, so it would have been their first night on the sea. No reason for an inexperienced person to take night shift, especially on the first night.

Catching up... someone else may have brought this up... but if he *intentionally* piloted it in such a way as to *make* it flip, in the middle of the night in the middle of the ocean, he was risking a death sentence himself. He was lucky that (1) he was actually able to get to a lifeboat and deploy it, (2) his lifeboat stayed afloat and didn't get swamped by a wave, (3) his emergency messages got through, (4) that the coast guard was able to find him in the middle of the ocean, and (5) that he was rescued quickly and it didn't take two weeks to find him. Thinking of all the very real risks and many things that could go wrong...

So... high&mighty has me convinced... It was most likely an accident.

Which doesn't mean they weren't having marital problems, and if they were arguing constantly over how and where to raise the baby... well, his feelings toward her may not have been as positive as they once were which could certainly effect his level of grief and how he expressed it. And her family's attitude towards and treatment of him may have negatively influenced his feelings and behavior. Who knows, maybe they had wanted her to stay with the ex husband, or maybe they were very insular as a family and didn't get along with any in-laws. All sorts of personal dynamics go on in families, just because they didn't like him it doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with him. Certainly, publicly accusing him of murder isn't going to give him warm fuzzies and make him want to facilitate a relationship between them and his daughter.

[This actually reminds me of another case, where a man disappeared, his family in another state very vocally voiced their suspicions of his wife all over SM, repeatedly slammed her while saying the first wife was so wonderful, there were all sorts of signs that it was likely a suicide which they completely rejected as a possibility while outright accusing the wife of murder... eventually his body was found and it was a suicide. And then they complained that the wife wasn't sending her son to visit them. &#63764;]

And of course he took the baby with him, he's her father.

On another note, and I'm sure OT... I have heard many stories about (and seen up live and personal on three different occasions) relatives go into the home of a relative who was either newly deceased, sent to a nursing home, and in one case in the hospital and not expected to survive, and ... well, let's say remove "mementos" that perhaps their legal right to was a bit... hazy. The person whose mother was hospitalized was quite surprised when she unexpectedly survived, and she was publicly talking about how she had to get everything back in the house before her mother was released. In other cases siblings were fighting about what the other siblings took.

Not saying that anything like that was what happened here... I'm sure the family just figured that with the accident the baby would be with them longer than planned and they went to pick up more baby stuff... but, ya' know... just sayin'...

MOO, etc.

Early on in the thread I made the mistake of thinking their boat "flipped" after hitting something. From his statements, it didnt flip at all. It just hit something and then started to take on water and eventually partially sunk.

It is not impossible that someone forced her to call.The business partner helped imo. *sigh* This whole story does not seem normal.

Isn't that the call where her sister said Isabella did not inquire about the baby as she had been doing?

“Why didn’t you stop the boat and drop the anchor to do something about it? And he said he needed to keep the boat on track, so his priority was to keep the boat on track,” Dayana told the news station.

He had enough time to get out of the hull, try to get the boat back on track?

So perhaps one hull was flooding? It seems if it was flipping over from just impact it would just flip over and no time to "get it back on track"?

Still not proving guilt or innocence but this makes most since, he had time to get out of the cabin, try to get it "back on track" and had time to get the life boat.
Perhaps a matter of different nomenclature? Could he have meant "on track" as meaning floating; upright, sea worthy, etc, rather than meaning "on course"? If the boat was damaged and taking on water in the middle of the ocean, that's a dire emergency and yes, seeing if he could possibly stabilize the vessel would be his first priority and, if he could have stopped the water and kept the boat navigable that would give him the best chance of finding his wife.

So perhaps a misunderstanding at a highly emotional and traumatic time, between people who didn't get along in the first place?

However, from what I have read, he seems to have made suggestions that he was going to leave the country by the end of May (and this was May 29?), so the family could have predicted that he could become a person of interest and the iPad at least might have some evidence on it that the FBI might find interesting and they wanted back some gifts they had given her.

On the other hand, if he was preparing to leave the country within days, he did not have time to wait around for the police to do their job especially if a court case was in the offing. He wanted the things then.

IMO, he would have had his passports in that backpack with everything else of value so he could have told an untruth about only having a piece of paper and could not leave the country. Did he leave the country fir Cuba AFTER he had told the sister that?

I have been wondering whether he is now under surveillance from the FBI as they would not want him to leave the country. But, I guess if they don't have the evidence to charge him with anything, he could fly to a country like Brazil which does not have an extradition treaty telling others he is going to the UK or Australia. Does the baby have a passport?

What role will his "business partner" now play in this? Is he living in the condo with LB? Will he stay there if LB leaves the USA? Has LB's visa expired? I think he is only able to stay in the USA 90 days. Does the marriage to a US citizen now make a difference to the length of time he can stay there? Will his "business partner" be the one who is going to get the catamaran to the US so it can be inspected or will the FBI now have to do that? Having the baby will restrict LB's movements somewhat. For the baby's sake, I would rather that she was with her mother's family.

IMO, LB is guilty so I just hope he is not allowed to leave USA now. However, I guess he would have to be arrested first and he knows that so let's see what happens next.

Good point that Bennett's visa may have been about to expire!

Not sure if this was already posted, sorry I haven't been following:

[h=1]JUST IN: FBI tape on door of condo owned by husband of missing woman[/h]
DELRAY BEACH Wherever Lewis Bennett is, he&#8217;s not his suburban Delray Beach condo. He can&#8217;t get in.

A visit Thursday morning showed the front-door doorknob, the touch-pad lock and part of the doorjamb covered with yellow tape reading &#8220;evidence&#8221; and &#8220;Federal Bureau of Investigation.&#8221;
Read more: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...husband-missing-woman/pmZR6lKdt32kA2npTl5dMO/

If she was in fact in danger, we don't know that she was, but it's likely she wouldn't have known she was either.

Her friends and family said she told them she "had to take the trip with him" to bring the boat back.. it doesn't seem like this was something she was totally gung ho about.

Also, when she talked to her sister they had just left Cuba, so it would have been their first night on the sea. No reason for an inexperienced person to take night shift, especially on the first night.
She may not have been gung ho, but she did choose to go anyway.

I'm not certain the following is accurate. Can anyone please verify or correct?: This was the final sail on their journey. During this 2 week trip they had sailed from other spots prior to leaving Cuba?

I am wondering how controlling LB was with IH.

I am suspicious about her inability to contact her family by phone on this trip because:

1. Her phone broke (did he break it?)

2. The satellite phone on the cat was supposedly not working until 8.30pm on that tragic night.
Right! Allowing her access to sat phone at 8:30p also helps establish his story/alibi. I am so uncomfortable with him. It's like I looked up the word "Shady" and there was his picture.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Right! Allowing her access to sat phone at 8:30p also helps establish his story/alibi. I am so uncomfortable with him. It's like I looked up the word "Shady" and there was his picture.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SO shady. She is a gorgeous woman. I wonder what she saw in him. I get the vibe he's one of those guys who finds girls online and charms them into a relationship. I've said it a bunch of times but I'll say it again. I do not think a truly good man would let his inexperienced wife pull a night shift in the middle of the sea!! They left Cuba at around 530- if he was that tired they never should have left Cuba. They could have left in the morning. No excuses IMO

SO shady. She is a gorgeous woman. I wonder what she saw in him. I get the vibe he's one of those guys who finds girls online and charms them into a relationship. I've said it a bunch of times but I'll say it again. I do not think a truly good man would let his inexperienced wife pull a night shift in the middle of the sea!! They left Cuba at around 530- if he was that tired they never should have left Cuba. They could have left in the morning. No excuses IMO

This ^^^^ times ten.

Ive been trying to figure out why if he wanted to be rescued and spotted by SAR then why didnt he stay near the partially submerged boat because it would have been easier for SAR to spot them from the air.

Surely there was some rope aboard that he could have fastened to the boat before getting in the raft. If boat sinks down then he could have just thrown the rope.

His raft was 1000 yards from the boat. Definitely not attached by a rope or anything.

Ive been reading safety and capsize information and found this that more or less talks about that.

"Flying search and rescue (or SAR) missions can visually spot large objects such as a raft or even a partially submerged small boat, but seeing your head bobbing about alone in the waves would be almost impossible. For that reason, if you capsize and need to be rescued, it’s important to stay on or near your boat."

http://www.realworldsurvivor.com/20...to-stay-alive-in-open-water/#capsize-sedges15

Surely there was some rope aboard that he could have fastened to the boat before getting in the raft. If boat sinks down then he could have just thrown the rope.

Unless he falls asleep.

Having your only means of staying alive being tied to a boat that has some chance of sinking seems a really really bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem