GUILTY FL - Janiya Thomas, 11, Bradenton, Jan 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Manatee County School Board debates homeschool bill being drafted in aftermath of Janiya Thomas

In an effort to keep homeschooled students safe from abuse, Manatee County School Board member Charlie Kennedy is proposing the board support legislation to change Florida's homeschool law.

A proposal being drafted by the Manatee County Sheriff's Office and state Rep. Greg Steube, R-Sarasota, would change the homeschool law to add an in-person check on homeschool children by a certified teacher on either a semester or quarterly basis, board member Charlie Kennedy said.

Nationwide, at least 84 homeschooled children died as a result of child abuse from 2000-2012, the Coalition for Responsible Home Education has found. Mandated school-district checks on homeschooled children are only once a year, so if a child is abused or killed, it can be hidden for months or years.

"The failure was not really the school district. It was the failure of the mother. I think we need to be very clear that the district followed procedure," Carpenter said.

More at link....

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/education/article44187051.html

Manatee County School Board debates homeschool bill being drafted in aftermath of Janiya Thomas

In an effort to keep homeschooled students safe from abuse, Manatee County School Board member Charlie Kennedy is proposing the board support legislation to change Florida's homeschool law.

A proposal being drafted by the Manatee County Sheriff's Office and state Rep. Greg Steube, R-Sarasota, would change the homeschool law to add an in-person check on homeschool children by a certified teacher on either a semester or quarterly basis, board member Charlie Kennedy said.

Nationwide, at least 84 homeschooled children died as a result of child abuse from 2000-2012, the Coalition for Responsible Home Education has found. Mandated school-district checks on homeschooled children are only once a year, so if a child is abused or killed, it can be hidden for months or years.

"The failure was not really the school district. It was the failure of the mother. I think we need to be very clear that the district followed procedure," Carpenter said.

More at link....

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/education/article44187051.html

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

BRADENTON -- A funeral service for 11-year-old Bradenton Janiya Thomas will be held this weekend.

According to an obituary that will be published Thursday in the Bradenton Herald, services will be at noon Saturday at Saint Paul Missionary Baptist Church, 525 Martin Luther King Ave. E,, Bradenton.

The obituary lists Oct. 18 as the day Janiya died. It's the same day her body was found in a padlocked freezer at her great-aunt and great-grandmother's house in the Woods of Hammock Place neighborhood in Bradenton.

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article44283144.html

No COD released yet though.

RIP Janiya. :rose:

You cannot be a special aunt or best cousin if your niece or cousin has been dead for a year in a family freezer - and you didn't know she was even missing!

You cannot be a special aunt or best cousin if your niece or cousin has been dead for a year in a family freezer - and you didn't know she was even missing!

I wanted to scream that when I read it. I wonder who wrote that obit.

BRADENTON -- A funeral service for 11-year-old Bradenton Janiya Thomas will be held this weekend.

According to an obituary that will be published Thursday in the Bradenton Herald, services will be at noon Saturday at Saint Paul Missionary Baptist Church, 525 Martin Luther King Ave. E,, Bradenton.

The obituary lists Oct. 18 as the day Janiya died. It's the same day her body was found in a padlocked freezer at her great-aunt and great-grandmother's house in the Woods of Hammock Place neighborhood in Bradenton.

So they made up a date instead of waiting for the actual date from the ME. This sounds more like a makeshift memorial service designed to draw attention to themselves and not justice for Janaiya.

That sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Agreed.

Those WS'ers who remember sweet Zahra Baker, who came to the US with her father from Australia to be with a cruel-hearted woman, Elisa Baker, will recall that stepmom Baker did not send Zahra back to school where Zahra had been smart, happy and well liked. Zahra died at the hands of her step-mother some months later.

Zahra had lost a leg to bone cancer and was also deaf -- this occurred before she and her father left to come to the US. A very endearing, happy child when she arrived -- we all fell in love with her, of course.

Certainly, the same thing could have happened had Zahra been at school, but she had already been seen in school with a black eye, and there were several neighbors who made reports to the school of suspected abuse and neglect at home. It is thought that that is the reason why she was removed from public school. CPS visited the home several times before it happened, but they were not there on the day Zahra, 10 years old, was murdered, cut up and strewn in the woods.

Another gut-wrenching case here on WS. Stepmom Baker is serving 15 to 18 years for 2nd Degree Murder, and other charges not really relating to the murder. SMH.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?420-Zahra-Clare-Baker

Many thanks for that post... "special" and "best," my toenail. Where were they when.....

Grrrrrr -- the sound of boiling blood.

Sad to say, but I don't think the ME will ever get an actual date of death on Janiya. I hope that the hold-up on the COD is just waiting for toxicology results and discovery in the investigation.

KT is the only one who knows that date...and she's not talking.

So they made up a date instead of waiting for the actual date from the ME. This sounds more like a makeshift memorial service designed to draw attention to themselves and not justice for Janaiya.

Yes, indeed. Nothing new. The story of her tortured little life. Never considered first in anything, IMO. But she is smiling and does not know fear or pain anymore and forever.

Such a sad story, The more I hear about it the more my heart breaks for this child and my heart goes out to her surviving siblings for also having to deal with this "mother". I agree with the other post saying KT is the only one who knows what happened to Janiya. I hope to god that KT is haunted every day for what she did to her daughter not that it seems she cares about any of those kids its just sad that it had to result in one of the kids actually being murdered by mom and another one being beaten for the remaining kids to be taking away from her it sounds like she abused all her kids based on her history with child services it just still blows my mind that these kids were still kept with their mom after all the times she dealt with child services. The only good that comes from this is knowing Janiya is now in a better place where this mom cat hurt her anymore and she can feel no pain and for her remaining siblings they now have that little angel watching over them and they too will no longer need to put up with moms abuse.

In some states, the date located goes as date of death on death certificates.

This family is an absolute piece of work (I replaced the other 4 letter word that came to mind). "She leaves to cherish: her mother Keishonna Thomas".. ?? REALLY? Absolutely unbelievable. 11 year old is abused terribly and dies at the hands of said "mother" (allegedly), stuffed into a freezer for a year or more, shuffled around town and someone has the nerve to include the word CHERISH when it comes to her "egg donor"? That is infuriating. MOO of course.

This family is an absolute piece of work (I replaced the other 4 letter word that came to mind). "She leaves to cherish: her mother Keishonna Thomas".. ?? REALLY? Absolutely unbelievable. 11 year old is abused terribly and dies at the hands of said "mother" (allegedly), stuffed into a freezer for a year or more, shuffled around town and someone has the nerve to include the word CHERISH when it comes to her "egg donor"? That is infuriating. MOO of course.

I totally agree, This family is sick and they dont seem to care too much about getting justice for Janiya as they do about the attention so sad

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back