GUILTY FL - Janiya Thomas, 11, Bradenton, Jan 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mother indicted for Murder

BRADENTON -- The mother of Janiya Thomas has been indicted for murder in her death, according to the State Attorney's Office.

After convening for about three hours Tuesday morning, a grand jury handed up the indictment charging Keishanna Thomas with first-degree murder, abuse of a dead body and aggravated child abuse, according to Assistant State Attorney Art Brown.

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article49845505.html

Good! And I hope the other children are in a safe place and will have a peaceful and merry Christmas!

Janiya Thomas' eldest sister told investigators girl was tied, dunked in water in bathroom, never seen again

An autopsy -- while inconclusive in the matter of death -- did reveal 11-year-old Janiya weighed only 44 pounds at the time of her death, her right leg had been broken between two to fours weeks prior to her death and there were marks on her hands and feet indicative of being tied.
Thomas, 32, will appear in court at 1 p.m. Wednesday for a first-appearance hearing to face her new charges.

Mother indicted for Murder

BRADENTON -- The mother of Janiya Thomas has been indicted for murder in her death, according to the State Attorney's Office.

After convening for about three hours Tuesday morning, a grand jury handed up the indictment charging Keishanna Thomas with first-degree murder, abuse of a dead body and aggravated child abuse, according to Assistant State Attorney Art Brown.

Hoo-freakin-Ray!!!

Janiya Thomas' eldest sister told investigators girl was tied, dunked in water in bathroom, never seen again

An autopsy -- while inconclusive in the matter of death -- did reveal 11-year-old Janiya weighed only 44 pounds at the time of her death, her right leg had been broken between two to fours weeks prior to her death and there were marks on her hands and feet indicative of being tied.
Thomas, 32, will appear in court at 1 p.m. Wednesday for a first-appearance hearing to face her new charges.

Who the heck does that to a child? That's disgusting...

An autopsy now reveals that the little girl died from being starved, suffocated and/or drowned.
But it was Dowling [Janiya's great aunt] who broke the lock and discovered Janiya inside shoved inside in a taped-up cardboard box.

The sight still haunts her. "I still see the color, the color and the size. I can't get that picture out of my head," Dowling says.

Records show just before Christmas of last year a neighbor tells investigators he saw a starving Janiya digging through the garbage at the family's Bradenton apartment complex searching for food. About a month later, her brother says Janiya vanished.

http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/crim...homas-starved-suffocated-or-drowned/77396656/

I can't even. :(

Long article detailing much, much more:

Thomas would make Janiya sit on the toilet for periods of time and kept the apartment very clean with Clorox. The girlfriend said Thomas once put Janiya in water that had so much Clorox that it turned half of Janiya's body red.

On or about Dec. 15, 2014, Thomas' neighbor was called outside by her boyfriend when he found Janiya rummaging through the garbage cans next to the apartment building.

"The child's hair was matted, braided and unkempt," Meridan wrote. "Her clothes was dirty and appeared to be too large for her."

The neighbor had been surprised when she learned Thomas was her mother, because she had never seen or heard of her. Janiya had reportedly been going through the garbage looking for food because she was hungry and her brother had told her to go look for food.

The neighbor made enough food for Janiya and all her siblings, and her boyfriend took Janiya back home. The neighbor then sent Thomas a Facebook message to call her since she knew she was at work, but she never heard from her. When she ran into Thomas in the breezeway a couple days later, Thomas told her that Janiya was her sister's child.

That poor little girl :-(

Yes Amonet, what this poor child went through is unfathomable. I am afraid that there will be more stories coming out of what Janiya had to endure during her eleven years of horror with that monster.

Her weight at death was about half of what a healthy child should have been. Starvation is a slow cruel death, and also to be tortured, abused, beaten along with it. As mothers, we want to protect and feed our children. I will never, ever understand people like KT.

And then to contort her emaciated body into a "Fed Ex" box and tape it up shoving her into a freezer... I just have no words. Janiya was abused in her life and then abused again in her death. Such a sad, sad story.

Janiya's brother also recalled coming home one day -- believed to be in January or February this year -- to discover Janiya gone, and the bathroom cleaned out.
Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article49845505.html#storylink=cpy

[...]

Janiya's body was found inside a cardboard box with a FedEx shipping label addressed to Thomas. FedEx confirmed that a package had been delivered to Thomas on Jan. 7.

It seems the fedex label lines up with what the siblings told police about when Janiya likely died.

Jan-Feb of this year.

That poor child. Already being investigated for abuse back in June of 2014, CPS decides mom is too uncooperative, closes it's case and this baby suffered immensely from then until her death in January or February of 2015.

Like little Jhessye Shockley, she was mom's scapegoat. Brainwashed by her grandmother indeed. :furious:

Well, of course I looked at one of those charts -- some of you may remember them -- I know that my "dimensions" never agreed with where I should have been on the chart since I was such a shrimp.

Anyway, the chart "said" that an 11 y/o girl should be 52" tall and weigh 79 pounds.

Our sweet Janiya didn't come close. Grrrrr.

But at least now her life is happy, well-fed, and surrounded by love. SMH.

Thanks so much for posting the docs BUF and Kimi!

Ugh. On top of the horrendous abuse Keishanna also worked the system to her advantage. She sent a letter to the school board in late January 2015 saying Janiya no longer lived in Florida. But on her HUD application in July 2015 she listed Janiya as living with her.

Ironically, both statements are true in that Janiya was no longer literally "living" in Florida but was also figuratively "living" with the family - in the freezer. :mad:

I wish we knew what Janiya's medical condition was. It seems to me that there was probably some sort of treatment available to alleviate the symptoms at least but apparently Keishanna never bothered to seek them out.

Paraphrasing what the psychologists often say on the tv show "Deadly Women" (and I'm sure there will be an episode on Keishanna at some point) Keishanna tortured Janiya because she liked it.

Ugh. On top of the horrendous abuse Keishanna also worked the system to her advantage. She sent a letter to the school board in late January 2015 saying Janiya no longer lived in Florida. But on her HUD application in July 2015 she listed Janiya as living with her.

Ironically, both statements are true in that Janiya was no longer literally "living" in Florida but was also figuratively "living" with the family - in the freezer. :mad:

I wish we knew what Janiya's medical condition was. It seems to me that there was probably some sort of treatment available to alleviate the symptoms at least but apparently Keishanna never bothered to seek them out.

Paraphrasing what the psychologists often say on the tv show "Deadly Women" (and I'm sure there will be an episode on Keishanna at some point) Keishanna tortured Janiya because she liked it.

Oh, thank you MsMarple for all you have posted and keeping on top of this!

We all just want to see justice for Janiya. So happy KT was finally indicted for murder. Yes, she knew how to and did work the system.

How could anyone like torturing a child...sick!

FOX 13 Tampa Bay Retweeted
Kim Kuizon FOX 13 ‏@kkuizon 18m18 minutes ago
A judge denies bond for Keishanna Thomas on first degree murder of her daughter @FOX13News #breaking #bradenton

https://twitter.com/FOX13News

Good - let her rot in jail!

Kim Kuizon FOX 13 ‏@kkuizon 15m15 minutes ago
Thomas was held in an isolation cell before making her first appearance. @FOX13News #Bradenton #Crime #Janiya

https://twitter.com/kkuizon

Probably for the protection of the other inmates!

It just burns me up that this monster was so brazen to use bullying tactics to work the system, and they let her get away with it at the cost of this innocent child's life. I am at a loss how her actions were rewarded by closing her file, instead of setting off major alarms and expediting a thorough investigation into those children's well-being. Ridiculous.

I think she may have had pediatric Ulcerative Colitis or Pediatric Crohn's disease, or something of that order. (Please know that I am neither an EMT, a nurse, nor am I a doctor or anything even close -- I read, and that can be good and bad, medically speaking.) Both diseases present with diarrhea, bleeding, enlarged colon, and pain. It was said her father had something similar (I can't remember 'cuz I have CRS myself). The reading I did said it could be managed fairly well. And if told the symptoms and upon physical examination, an MD should be able to diagnose it -- if that's what it is. Oh well, I guess Mommie Dearest didn't have the time, and she prolly didn't really give a dayam. My 2 cents.

Poor baby. Sometimes the little details are just too hard to hear. Why does a baby have to go through that ? Why does a child have to dig through the garbage for a crumb to eat?
Per post above, I speculated awhile back that just stress and nothing else can cause tons of bowel and digestive issues. Any medical condition she may have had was likely amplified by her treatment and living conditions. If she was denied food for long periods then her colon would be very unsettled when she finally was able to eat. Blessed girl :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back