GUILTY FL - Janiya Thomas, 11, Bradenton, Jan 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jessica De Leon ‏@JDeleon1012
Waiting for Judge Maulucci. Scheduled to appear before her Keishanna Thomas charged w/ abusing, killing, abusing dead body of #JaniyaThomas.

Janiya Thomas' mother tentatively set to stand trial in November in Bradenton girl's death

If convicted of murder, Thomas will automatically face life in prison. Last month, the State Attorney's Office indicated it would not seek the death penalty.

On Thursday morning, Assistant Public Defender Franklin Roberts appeared on Thomas' behalf, after she waived her right to appear. Circuit Judge Susan Maulucci scheduled the trial for the two-week trial period that starts Nov. 28. She told Roberts and Assistant State Attorney Art Brown that a status conference could be scheduled a couple months before that date to see how the case was progressing and if more time would be needed.
Thomas is being held with bond at the Manatee County jail. Currently, her next scheduled court appearance is Nov. 16 for a docket sounding hearing.

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article63769107.html

ABC Action News was given access Tuesday to nearly the whole reservoir of evidence.

Among the documents that are now public record, is a handwritten letter from an older sibling of Janiya Thomas to the Manatee County judge overseeing the murder case.

The sibling wrote “the letter to tell my sister [sic] story for her because she didn’t get to tell you guys what my mom did to her," the letter says. “So it’s my turn to tell you the truth.”

That "truth" includes a heartbreaking account of repeated abuse of Janiya at the hands of her own mother Keishanna Thomas.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...ezer-wrote-a-letter-to-a-manatee-county-judge

More at the link. Heartbreaking is right. :(

March 25, 2016: Sarasota Department of Children and Families is picketed. Protesters say agency removes children from good families and ignores those in need of protection.

“We’ve heard story after story of kids being lost in the system, literally lost,” said Greg “Flip” Cruz, who also went through the foster care system. “There are serious problems, and we need serious change.”

Behind the protesters stood a poster with the faces of kids allegedly killed by their parents despite prior complaints filed with DCF. Among them were Chance Walsh and Janiya Thomas.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/articl...partment-of-Children-and-Families-is-picketed

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/7-cpi-workers-disciplined-in-janiya-thomas-case/110346597

Seven child protection workers with the Manatee County Sheriff's Office have been disciplined for mishandling allegations that Janiya Thomas' mother was abusing her five children.

Follow the link to see what levels of 'punishment' were given.

WTH??? For a minute I thought I accidentally clicked on the Onion. This is ridiculous. It would have been better to give no punishment - it's like a parody of justice.

Child protection officials disciplined by the sheriff's office are:

Deputy Director Robert Wilson: 8-hour suspension without pay and a letter of reprimand.
Supervisor Kristina Hall: 16-hour suspension without pay.
Supervisor Linda Young: 16-hour suspension without pay.
Supervisor Stephanie Metcalf-Clark: 8-hour suspension without pay.
Supervisor Michelle Davis: letter of reprimand.
Investigator Troy Simon: 8-hour suspension without pay and a letter of reprimand.
Investigator Danielle McCoy: letter of reprimand.

:furious:

WTH??? For a minute I thought I accidentally clicked on the Onion. This is ridiculous. It would have been better to give no punishment - it's like a parody of justice.

Deputy Director Robert Wilson: 8-hour suspension without pay and a letter of reprimand.
Investigator Troy Simon: 8-hour suspension without pay and a letter of reprimand.

Seriously?!? That is completely a joke. A letter of reprimand? Did they have to take it home to their parents to get it signed? ::rolleyes::

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article69299067.html

MANATEE -- Two Manatee County Sheriff's Office employees were disciplined for their mishandling of allegations that 15-month-old Knowellan Kelly and his three siblings were being abused, by failing to complete or signing off on an incomplete investigation, according to internal affairs reports.

The internal affairs investigation started three days after Knowellan died last year from brain injuries caused by abuse. His mother's boyfriend has been charged with murder in the case.

Child Protective Supervisor Stephanie Metcalf-Clark, one of the two sheriff's workers, was also one of seven employees punished for their missteps in the case of Keishanna Thomas, whose 11-year-old daughter Janiya was found dead in a locked freezer in Bradenton in October.

The other worker, Child Protective Investigator Kayla Cyphers, has resigned.

Each received a sustained finding for neglect of duty. Cyphers received a letter of reprimand and Metcalf-Clark was suspended for eight hours without pay.

More at link...

This article just made me all the more angry!

Another child died who potentially could have been saved but yet the case worker Metcalf-Clark only receives 8 hours without pay as discipline, WTH?

I cannot find Knowellan Kelly thread while I am on tapatalk

MANATEE -- Two Manatee County Sheriff's Office employees were disciplined for their mishandling of allegations that 15-month-old Knowellan Kelly and his three siblings were being abused, by failing to complete or signing off on an incomplete investigation, according to internal affairs reports.

The internal affairs investigation started three days after Knowellan died last year from brain injuries caused by abuse. His mother's boyfriend has been charged with murder in the case.

Child Protective Supervisor Stephanie Metcalf-Clark, one of the two sheriff's workers, was also one of seven employees punished for their missteps in the case of Keishanna Thomas, whose 11-year-old daughter Janiya was found dead in a locked freezer in Bradenton in October.

Each received a sustained finding for neglect of duty. Cyphers received a letter of reprimand and Metcalf-Clark was suspended for eight hours without pay.

More at link...

Another child died who potentially could have been saved but yet the case worker Metcalf-Clark only receives 8 hours without pay as discipline, WTH?

Wow, those 8-hour suspensions without pay are adding up for Stephanie Metcalf-Clark. Must be awful for her... well, unless they're served concurrently and not consecutively. Yeah, that's probably it.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. It's tragic that the life of a child is worth so little in the eyes of CPS. What a load of bureaucratic manure! Grr.

An 8 hour suspension without pay is just a day off. Basically they've been given a reward instead of a punishment :(

More at link...

RBBM:

I searched and couldn't find a thread for him, so I created one:

FL - Knowellan Kelly 12/3/15 Manatee (15 mo)
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304215

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manatee Elementary School officials establishing $50,000 scholarship in honor of Janiya Thomas

Through community partnerships and local fundraising, Manatee Elementary School officials are hoping to establish an annual $50,000 scholarship for a graduating Manatee County senior who attended Manatee Elementary to help cover some of the cost for college in honor of Janiya.

"This is our way to provide someone with an education that Janiya didn't get an opportunity to have," Manatee Elementary School Principal Deb Houston said Tuesday.
Working with community partners, including the Manatee Community Foundation, Houston said they hope to award the first scholarship to a graduating senior sometime in the spring of 2017, in time for the fall 2017-18 academic year.

Commissioner Carol Whitmore, who shared the news of the scholarship with other commissioners during Tuesday's meeting, said she's very happy about the scholarship.

"It's a horrific, tragic, disgusting turn of events that happened to this poor little girl," Whitmore said. "It's a positive thing for our community to help heal our wounds. We are never going to forget her. It will serve as a reminder." Janiya's name will be on something good, Whitmore said.

"She may be helping others in the future have a positive life," she said.

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/education/article71372527.html

It makes me sad that Janiya's life was worth so little to her mother. I'm glad her name will live on by way of giving another child an opportunity but it doesn't bring Janiya back. It doesn't take away what her siblings saw.

Keishanna's next court date is April 20.

The case for April 20th was cancelled because the courts merged both cases together. So, unless there is a plea before then we won't hear much until November 16th which is her next scheduled appearance and then the trial is scheduled to begin November 28th @ 0900.

An 8 hour suspension without pay is just a day off. Basically they've been given a reward instead of a punishment :(

Rayemonde, not only a reward, I bet they get to choose what day and she either picks a Friday or a Monday, you know, just to have a long weekend. [emoji482]

Is KT's trial still set for next month?

Oh for crying out loud! 3 got 1day off, 2 got 2 days off and 2 were sent a letter. Whoopee, party time and two get an extra day to recover from their soon to be hangover.
Manatee county really knows how to dish it out. I bet they were trembling in their flip flops at the beach.

Janiya, you deserved so much better, and so do all the other children in Manatee County.

Keishanna Thomas had been scheduled to stand trial beginning Nov. 28. But Circuit Judge Susan Maulucci granted a continuance in the case, delaying the trial. Thomas is now scheduled to stand trial during the two-week period beginning Aug. 21.

Issues concerning Janiya’s cause of death that could not be fully explored by November were among the reasons cited by Assistant Public Defender Franklin Roberts in his motion for the delay, according to court records.

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/crime/article108945632.html

Seriously?!? That is completely a joke. A letter of reprimand? Did they have to take it home to their parents to get it signed? ::rolleyes::

It should (should, not will, please note! the difference) hurt the receiver when raise or promotion time comes along. A second one (in some companies, associations, etc.,) could put the individual on probation or out of a job. Let's hope it is serious at this place, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back