FL FL - Jennifer Odom, 12, Blanton, 19 Feb 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi all! Came across this thread when doing some research on this case. I grew up in Pasco County in the 90s and heard about this when it happened and have followed it through out the years. Someone asked if there had been any similar cases of attempted kidnappings or kidnappings in the 90s. I was a part of an attempted kidnapping from the South holiday library in 1994 when I was 11. It was 2 men, one who was very skinny with a mullet and shorter, stockier man with a shaved head. They were driving a beat up pickup truck, light colored (I'm unsure if it was white or light gray or light blue) with crap in the back. I am also very interested if anyone else had anything similar. I have seen the picture of Crum and he could be the man I saw that day, similar face shape and features but I am unsure without seeing a younger picture of him. I have reached out to local police who kind of disregarded me as a crackpot but I always felt the similarities were there. I had no idea that the case Crum was arrested for took place in Holiday being that that is where I grew up. Anyone have any additional info on this? Or anyone have a similar experience in this area?

Hi Nicci, welcome to Websleuths!

Do you remember what the two guys in the truck were asking you?

And the month in 1994 it occurred?

Hi Nicci, welcome to Websleuths!

Do you remember what the two guys in the truck were asking you?

And the month in 1994 it occurred?

Hi! I don't remember the month honestly. The only way I remember is actually by the conversation I had with the man. He approached me while I was sitting in aisle reading a few of the books i had picked and the man followed me into the aisle and began " browsing" the books. He then said "how about that Oj simpson case huh? He's going to hang." That is my time reference to the case. I'm assuming late 94 or early 95. That was the only conversation I had with him.

Ok I received the police report. The description I gave that was male in his 30's. Black curly hair shoulder length. No facial hair. Between 5'6 and 5'8. Could that fit Crum? During that time frame?
According to the report there were 2 other girls he approached that day including my sister who doesn't even remember the incident. Advertising to the report he approached a 15 year old who is developmentally delayed as well as a 6 year old girl who he offered a ride to. According to the report I spoke with these girls telling them to stay away from the man and not to talk to them.

There is no mention of the second man. No mention of the vehicle description I gave or the earring or him trying to get me to get in his car. They labeled the incident as a suspicious person.

He is currently being held at the Federal Prison in Terre Haute, Indiana also known as the (Federal Death House) This is where Timothy McVeigh was excuted.

Keith Dwayne Nelson
Federal Inmate Registration Number: 07440-031

The victims of Keith Nelson

Jennifer Renee Odom - Blanton, Florida
Jodi Sue Huisentruit - Mason City, Iowa
Julie Ann Holmquist - Hallock, Minnesota
Pamela Butler - Kansas City, Kansas (Last Victim)

Attached is Photograph of Keith Dwayne Nelson, he had relatives living in Florida at the time. Are you related?

Jennifer's Letterman's style Jacket, Red Sweater, and her Bundy clarinet serial number 622747 is evidence and is filed at their crime lab.

The KBI Kansas Bureau of Investigation 1-800-572-7463.They have the phone numbers for BOTH the crime lab and the Vehicle Impound Garage. The crime lab also has a two charm necklace, actually three. One broke off and was found in the back of the van.

Attached are the four victims in the order they were murdered, notice anything strange?

If you have any questions, just ask.

Sincerely,
James L. McIntyre
aandjmac@mchsi.com

I received this info and found him on Death row in Indiana But i can not found anything limking him to any of the other murders except Pamela Butler
I am so new to this can everyone help me with this
Jennifer case remains unsolved so I don't see where this person thinks he is the one
wouldn't they update her site?

They won't get a confession out of Keith Dwayne Nelson now.

US Government Executes Killer Of 10-Year-Old Girl

"Nelson, 45, had been sentenced to death for the 1999 kidnapping, sexual abuse and subsequent killing of a 10-year-old girl, Pamela Butler, he abducted while she was rollerblading in front of her Kansas home. Nelson confessed to raping Butler and strangling her with a wire."

Correct me if im wrong. But didn't this case get resolved a year or two ago??

No. It is still unsolved.
That is AMAZING!!
I was so sure it had been solved. And couldn't understand why it was back in cold cases instead of resolved cold cases. I even believed i had left her a message on the thread that she could rest in peace now because they got him. To find out right now it is still unsolved just blows me away for I have followed and commenting on this case for many years now.

:+:MrTT:+:, Jun 25, 2013
On page 24 message 470. I wrote this...
She knew her killer. and the killer knew the family and vice versus.
She was an extremely attractive young girl. And someone developed an obsession/fantasy towards her because of it. He used his connection with the family to kept him close to the girl.

I stand by; this comment today. I believed this was the type of person whom was arrested/charged with her death. Someone she knew, the family knew. Directly or indirectly but a ;connection nevertheless. Trying to remember the rest. I thought i had read, he followed her in a truck after she got off the school bus. He was be;hind the bus and followed her up the drive a ways and engaged in a conversation with her. it was not the orchard ;guy. with the oranges. I dont think he lived far from where she was found either. But he may had worked or had business involving orchards at some point. w;here she was; found he had been there before for whatever reason............

Skully?!...I even thought i sent you a message when they ;caught him to just say they got him. I guess none of this is real.

Just some general factors common in most child abduction homicides to consider

If you were to apply most states' general guidelines to classify "sexually violent predators", the majority of these individuals would fit the profile outlined in such hence their existence.

-The Offender is usually in the area of the abduction for legitimate reasons, they usually live or work nearby or this may be a normal route for them to travel in their daily activities

-The mean age of the offender in most of these cases, is 27 years old, but that works upon a slide rule (22-32) depending on factors such as incarceration time and time in treatment, or the military etc..

-Approximately 70% are white males

-Almost always these crimes are perpetrated for sexual reasons.

-The offender usually has a criminal history most often with a focus on crimes against children, (not always, adult victims are not uncommon) but these will almost always of a sexual nature, these may however have gone unprosecuted, for several reasons

-Often labelled as "Social Marginals" they are usually considered "oddballs" or "weird" and aren't usually above suspicion in such cases, with a tendency toward sociopathic behavior, In many cases, they are suspected almost immediately.

-Weak social bonds, may have what they consider "friends" in a mitigated context

-Most have an identified disorder, usually sexual, but also behavioral , slightly fewer abuse intoxicants.

-Often frequent residence changes (moves) in their past , prior to the incident, usually at least 1 within a year prior to the incident.

-Offender usually acts alone

-Offender is unknown (stranger) to the victim in most cases, but only slightly less are acquaintances

-Slightly less than half are unemployed or underemployed at time of incident

-Occupation is usually blue collar considered "unskilled" or "semi skilled" . with construction being the most prominent industry

-Usually live with parents or a family member

-Unmarried or in any type of intimate relationship at time of incident

-Offender, is usually not in any kind of legal custody status at the time (Probation/Parole etc..)

-Victim is selected usually as a target of opportunity, physical characteristics other than gender and size usually bear little weight in victim selection.

-Physical force is the most common method used to secure the victim, followed by con/ruse

-Offender used a vehicle in approx 98% of abductions, where the victim was found deceased (Note to parents: Teach children to avoid vehicles at all costs, and to either get out of it or disable the vehicle , or draw attention to it if they find themselves in that situation)

-Stressing events prior to , play much less a role in child abduction murders as opposed to abduction murders of adults, than we once thought, these individuals tend to be more like "killers in waiting" , then angry retaliatory types.

-In only about 10% of cases, (not related to serial cases) has the offender committed a prior murder of a child, and only about 6.5 % had previously kidnapped a child. .

-The Victim is often abducted less than .4 Mi from their home, they are usually transported greater than 5 Mi from the abduction site

-Victim is usually alone at the time of abduction, to a lesser extent with friends

-Overwhelmingly the victims are usually white, female, mean age of approx 11 years old. (the younger the victim the more theres a propensity for the offender to ba an aquaintence or family member)

-The Murder site is often less then 200 feet from the body recovery site

-The victim is usually deceased within the 1st 1-5 hours following the abduction, about 76% were killed within 3 hours of the abduction, and almost 100% within 24 hours , this is important to note because most children aren't reported missing until 2-4 hours following the actual abduction, which means in the majority of cases, the victim is deceased before they are even reported missing (the 1st 48 does not pertain to child abduction cases, the time frame is much smaller)

-The offenders name usually comes up within the 1st 48 hours, is usually known to investigators within the 1st week of the investigation, though not necessarily as a suspect.

-As we are now learning with the emergence of all these cases, being solved by DNA, the offender often commits further crimes of a sexual nature, though often short of murder, in many cases. (Investigative consideration should be considered in ALL crimes of a sexual nature to collect and submit DNA and do a THOROUGH background investigation on individuals suspected of such crimes, as well as anyone interviewed and perhaps not considered a suspect this is extremely important as many of these individuals have committed prior crimes, but were not prosecuted or caught )

This article from 2020 says that they have not been notified that he's been ruled out. Cold Case: The Unsolved Murder of Jennifer Odom - 27 Years Later
This article from 2019 doesn't say he's been ruled out but they were chasing a new lead. 1993 Cold Case: The Murder Investigation of Jennifer Odom, 12, Continues
I don't see anything that dna has come back and he was ruled out and no longer a POI

As far as I know, he is still a POI, and the most promising lead. I have been following this and have not heard otherwise

Just some general factors common in most child abduction homicides to consider

If you were to apply most states' general guidelines to classify "sexually violent predators", the majority of these individuals would fit the profile outlined in such hence their existence.

-The Offender is usually in the area of the abduction for legitimate reasons, they usually live or work nearby or this may be a normal route for them to travel in their daily activities

-The mean age of the offender in most of these cases, is 27 years old, but that works upon a slide rule (22-32) depending on factors such as incarceration time and time in treatment, or the military etc..

-Approximately 70% are white males

-Almost always these crimes are perpetrated for sexual reasons.

-The offender usually has a criminal history most often with a focus on crimes against children, (not always, adult victims are not uncommon) but these will almost always of a sexual nature, these may however have gone unprosecuted, for several reasons

-Often labelled as "Social Marginals" they are usually considered "oddballs" or "weird" and aren't usually above suspicion in such cases, with a tendency toward sociopathic behavior, In many cases, they are suspected almost immediately.

-Weak social bonds, may have what they consider "friends" in a mitigated context

-Most have an identified disorder, usually sexual, but also behavioral , slightly fewer abuse intoxicants.

-Often frequent residence changes (moves) in their past , prior to the incident, usually at least 1 within a year prior to the incident.

-Offender usually acts alone

-Offender is unknown (stranger) to the victim in most cases, but only slightly less are acquaintances

-Slightly less than half are unemployed or underemployed at time of incident

-Occupation is usually blue collar considered "unskilled" or "semi skilled" . with construction being the most prominent industry

-Usually live with parents or a family member

-Unmarried or in any type of intimate relationship at time of incident

-Offender, is usually not in any kind of legal custody status at the time (Probation/Parole etc..)

-Victim is selected usually as a target of opportunity, physical characteristics other than gender and size usually bear little weight in victim selection.

-Physical force is the most common method used to secure the victim, followed by con/ruse

-Offender used a vehicle in approx 98% of abductions, where the victim was found deceased (Note to parents: Teach children to avoid vehicles at all costs, and to either get out of it or disable the vehicle , or draw attention to it if they find themselves in that situation)

-Stressing events prior to , play much less a role in child abduction murders as opposed to abduction murders of adults, than we once thought, these individuals tend to be more like "killers in waiting" , then angry retaliatory types.

-In only about 10% of cases, (not related to serial cases) has the offender committed a prior murder of a child, and only about 6.5 % had previously kidnapped a child. .

-The Victim is often abducted less than .4 Mi from their home, they are usually transported greater than 5 Mi from the abduction site

-Victim is usually alone at the time of abduction, to a lesser extent with friends

-Overwhelmingly the victims are usually white, female, mean age of approx 11 years old. (the younger the victim the more theres a propensity for the offender to ba an aquaintence or family member)

-The Murder site is often less then 200 feet from the body recovery site

-The victim is usually deceased within the 1st 1-5 hours following the abduction, about 76% were killed within 3 hours of the abduction, and almost 100% within 24 hours , this is important to note because most children aren't reported missing until 2-4 hours following the actual abduction, which means in the majority of cases, the victim is deceased before they are even reported missing (the 1st 48 does not pertain to child abduction cases, the time frame is much smaller)

-The offenders name usually comes up within the 1st 48 hours, is usually known to investigators within the 1st week of the investigation, though not necessarily as a suspect.

-As we are now learning with the emergence of all these cases, being solved by DNA, the offender often commits further crimes of a sexual nature, though often short of murder, in many cases. (Investigative consideration should be considered in ALL crimes of a sexual nature to collect and submit DNA and do a THOROUGH background investigation on individuals suspected of such crimes, as well as anyone interviewed and perhaps not considered a suspect this is extremely important as many of these individuals have committed prior crimes, but were not prosecuted or caught )

This is great information. Thank you so much for posting

That is AMAZING!!
I was so sure it had been solved. And couldn't understand why it was back in cold cases instead of resolved cold cases. I even believed i had left her a message on the thread that she could rest in peace now because they got him. To find out right now it is still unsolved just blows me away for I have followed and commenting on this case for many years now.

:+:MrTT:+:, Jun 25, 2013
On page 24 message 470. I wrote this...
She knew her killer. and the killer knew the family and vice versus.
She was an extremely attractive young girl. And someone developed an obsession/fantasy towards her because of it. He used his connection with the family to kept him close to the girl.

I stand by; this comment today. I believed this was the type of person whom was arrested/charged with her death. Someone she knew, the family knew. Directly or indirectly but a ;connection nevertheless. Trying to remember the rest. I thought i had read, he followed her in a truck after she got off the school bus. He was be;hind the bus and followed her up the drive a ways and engaged in a conversation with her. it was not the orchard ;guy. with the oranges. I dont think he lived far from where she was found either. But he may had worked or had business involving orchards at some point. w;here she was; found he had been there before for whatever reason............

Skully?!...I even thought i sent you a message when they ;caught him to just say they got him. I guess none of this is real.

I remembered just now. It was one of her water skiing instructors i thought I had read committed this crime. I think she was learning how to water ski using a jet ski with the water boards in back you stand on. One of them became obessed with her as a student trying to learn.

Thank you hope1, you liking the above post is what caused me to remember whom i thought was arrested for committing this crime.

He was having some kind of relationship with her, and things turned for the worst because she threatened to tell i thought it was, And the killing was to keep her quite.

But we all know that's not true, Because its still unsolved. But God as my witness, i would have bet a 1000 dollars that was the outcome of this case*

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back