FL FL - Jennifer Odom, 12, Blanton, 19 Feb 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Mr TT,

Your one answer is on post #103. View the video at 3:37 and you will get some of your answers. You can see that the grove going up Jim Denney is done, no trucks in the groves. But just about 500ft down you will see a trailer and a worker's truck beyond where LE is. That grove across the way is being picked. Also the grove is just as large today at Jim Denney as in 1993. The video I did, shows houses now where the grove across the street is on the 1993 video. It pays to go back to some of our older pages.

I think the Hooter's jacket was like a sweat shirt jacket, not a heavy one and it does get cold in Florida in February. She had on a white turtleneck, a red sweater and a zip up Hooter's Jacket. DreamyEye, do you mean that you think she may have had a kind of date with someone? Have you read anything on if they know who lent her the jacket and if it was just for the day or was it longer?

You can go to the Hernando Sheriff's site and view the unsolved cases. Jennifer's has her Hooter's jacket, her boots and purse on the site.

I think the Hooter's jacket was like a sweat shirt jacket, not a heavy one and it does get cold in Florida in February. She had on a white turtleneck, a red sweater and a zip up Hooter's Jacket. DreamyEye, do you mean that you think she may have had a kind of date with someone? Have you read anything on if they know who lent her the jacket and if it was just for the day or was it longer?

Hi Astrella!

Yes, I do lean toward thinking that she had a kind of date--but in the sense that some guy had been flattering her, paying attention to her, and kind of setting her up. Back in 1993, I for one had not heard too much about "grooming behaviors," where an older kid or an adult will pour on the charm, offer treats, act like a friend or mentor--and all the while be setting the kid up for sexual abuse.

Generally, kids seemed more sophisticated in 1993 than when I was a kid back in the 60s/70s. But how sophisticated was Jennifer as an individual? Esp given what Bern said upthread about the local flavor of her community, and the different cultures that are represented there? She may not have understood that an older male was "after something" when he flattered her and treated her as a friend. At the same time, I think there may have been a variety of cultures present in the area due to the orange groves, and remember, some boys/men of other cultures may have thought about girls in a different way than what we consider the norm.

These are the things that have been going through my mind. Even "way back" in the 60s, if a male had told me when I was 12 or 14 that he 'wanted to make love to me,' what would that have meant to me? I would have figured he wanted to put his arms around me and do some deep kissing. I'm pretty sure I was at least 15 before I understood what 'make love' really meant!

So I am not suggesting that Jennifer had become a 'fast' girl, or that she even wanted to or knew what something like that meant ... I'm saying she may have been cultivated by someone who projected those ideas on to her.

All I know about Jennifer's case is what I've read on this thread and the little bit downstairs. I plan to visit the sheriff's office like Bern suggested and see if it says anything more about the borrowing of the jacket. Actually, I'd like to know more about what all of the kids said, on the bus, and also Jennifer's sister. I think sometimes the kids know more than we ever give them credit for, and if there are any witness accounts in the sheriff's records or MSM, they deserve a look.

You can go to the Hernando Sheriff's site and view the unsolved cases. Jennifer's has her Hooter's jacket, her boots and purse on the site.

Thanks, Bern. I plan to visit the sheriff's page later this week. Last night I watched your 2nd video. (Thank you thank you). I noticed a lot of contrails through the middle part of the video. Is there an airport in the area--and if so, is it a big international one or a small airfield. I don't know that it bears on the case in the slightest ... it just came to mind when I saw the contrails.

Tonight I will look at video #3. Amazing work. And I must say, Florida is gorgeous.

That jacket and the way she borrowed it just screams "getting ready for a big encounter" to me -- maybe not a date the way we'd think of it, but knowing or hoping she's going to see somebody she really has a crush on. Somebody she wanted to look grown up for.

It doesn't necessarily scream older man, though. I wonder if he knew she was interested in somebody else and got jealous and possessive?

That jacket and the way she borrowed it just screams "getting ready for a big encounter" to me -- maybe not a date the way we'd think of it, but knowing or hoping she's going to see somebody she really has a crush on. Somebody she wanted to look grown up for.

It doesn't necessarily scream older man, though. I wonder if he knew she was interested in somebody else and got jealous and possessive?

ITA.

Can't say why, but for some reason I envision the killer as a fairly young man. I don't know that I'd say an older teenager. Maybe so ... or maybe a young adult male. I'm seeing the same scenario you are, Carbuff.

Hey you Floridians ... just out of curiosity, why are abandoned orange groves abandoned?

Noting that some of the orange groves have been replanted with pine ... why? In Bern's video #2 it says there were many more orange groves in the area in 1993, the year of the crime. What's the story with the orange biz?

ETA: Argh! Why didn't I buy oranges or OJ at the market earlier today? Dadgummit.

I just finished watching Bern's video#3 and I have chills. So creepy to think of such a brutal crime taking place in such a beautiful, peaceful area. It really helps set the backdrop for what happened. I agree with Bern that it's a lot different to experience the drive visually rather than just imagining it.

All my thanks to Bern for her hard work, her insight, and her dedication. Bern, you've got the talent!

My theory of a grove worker is just one of two I have, so I don't want to seem like I am "pushing" that on anyone, but the person had to know her routine, see an opportunity, know when to do this, know where to leave her so she would be found. He also had to know the area. Also the dump site is about 22 miles from her home, (maybe a video of it, not sure) so once again, he had to know the area.

Men that worked those groves were not just older, but many were young, good looking, boys in there late teens and 20's. I have a friend who went to the camps where they lived and clinics to give shots. She has told me how good looking the boys were. She also said that many did not speak English but lots of them had girlfriends that were "white". So I am learning as I go here, about the areas and things to consider.

I think to solve a crime, you have to know what the area was like and the culture all around it.

Bern, nothing I was talking about precludes a grove worker as either the murderer or the person she was meeting (if they weren't the same person).

I did some research last night about the 1993 orange crop. I found out it was a bumper year in Florida. The articles about how good the harvest was are mostly dated Feb. 16, 1993, so it sounds like because of the size of the crop, harvest ran late that year and would have just been finished. Was she meeting somebody to say goodbye?

I came to this thread late and perhaps I've missed a few details reading through everything in a hurry -- does it say her family owns that orange grove?

Suspect vehicle is a mid to full size, older model pick-up truck, medium to dark blue (faded) in color, with pipes and/or ladders in back, rectangular side mirrors, trailer hitch with wires hanging, and silver bumber in back (not chrome).

I was rereading some of the information when the bolded phrase jumped out at me.

The wires are for connecting a trailer's brake lights to the truck's eletrical system, so the brake lights go on at the same time. Some hitches have a nice plugin, but others just have wires that can be connected to similar wires on the trailer. In either case, the wires aren't usually left hanging; they get tucked away while the truck's being driven alone. Hanging wires would usually indicate a truck that normally pulls a trailer.

In Bern's videos, I noticed several glimpses into the orange groves where there were parked trailers -- one had a porta-potty, another looked like some kind of maintenance equipment, maybe? That's not counting the big trailers full of oranges.

If the orange grove had been recently picked, I wonder whether the truck might have been picking up one of those trailers. It would have made a really good place to hide a body for a while.

Suspect vehicle is a mid to full size, older model pick-up truck, medium to dark blue (faded) in color, with pipes and/or ladders in back, rectangular side mirrors, trailer hitch with wires hanging, and silver bumber in back (not chrome).

I was rereading some of the information when the bolded phrase jumped out at me.

The wires are for connecting a trailer's brake lights to the truck's eletrical system, so the brake lights go on at the same time. Some hitches have a nice plugin, but others just have wires that can be connected to similar wires on the trailer. In either case, the wires aren't usually left hanging; they get tucked away while the truck's being driven alone. Hanging wires would usually indicate a truck that normally pulls a trailer.

In Bern's videos, I noticed several glimpses into the orange groves where there were parked trailers -- one had a porta-potty, another looked like some kind of maintenance equipment, maybe? That's not counting the big trailers full of oranges.

If the orange grove had been recently picked, I wonder whether the truck might have been picking up one of those trailers. It would have made a really good place to hide a body for a while.

Great observations, Carbuff. My Dad's fancy travel trailer had a plug that contained all the wires ... and then the hitch plate had a matching receptacle to plug into. When not in use, the plug (or rather its cord) retracted into the trailer.

While reading your post, it came to me that if the suspect vehicle did usually haul a trailer, that is probably a reason that it wasn't sighted again, despite there being a pretty good description of it. When a truck is towing something, a lot of the truck is obscured when viewed at most angles. Certainly the rear plates, the hitch, the wires, and the tailgate would not be visible to anyone except those who walked up to it while it was parked. And as a matter of normal human behavior, people observing probably pay a lot more attention to the 'something being towed' than the truck doing the towing.

Thanks for pointing this out, Carbuff.

I have wondered whether the pipes or ladders were just in the bed of the truck, or whether they might have been parts of what my Dad called a rack. Dad made his own, but some people buy them for trucks custom-made. A rack is a block and tackle type of affair that is used to drag something heavy into the truck. Usually it's something like a dirt bike, and there are slant boards to lean up against the lowered tailgate. A hook attaches to the object being dragged, and a system of ropes and pulleys does the dragging while the person cranks. I think some of the fancier ones can be motorized. They are very common in my area, and a lot of businesses use them, such as those that haul 'honey buckets' and other large items that don't require a flatbed.

A lot of the homemade ones are created with pipes.

If the suspect vehicle was used to haul a lot of objects in the bed, that too would obscure a lot of the truck from witnesses, and people would likely be more interested in the load than in the truck itself.

The rack is just a speculation, but I think Carbuff is on the mark about the truck having been routinely used to tow something.

I see trucks everyday with those beds on the back towing a metal or wooden framed flat trailer. Usually they are for land scrappers, they have lawn mowers and tools in the back. But they have to have tail lights and a hitch. I remember that some of the workers were transported in a trailer like this. It is open and had a wooden frame and had seats along both sides so they had a place to sit. Some of the farmers used these to haul feed and tools too. this is kind of what I think this truck was used for. So if he was done with his work season here, he may have unhitched it and took the truck.

Hey you Floridians ... just out of curiosity, why are abandoned orange groves abandoned?

Noting that some of the orange groves have been replanted with pine ... why? In Bern's video #2 it says there were many more orange groves in the area in 1993, the year of the crime. What's the story with the orange biz?

ETA: Argh! Why didn't I buy oranges or OJ at the market earlier today? Dadgummit.

I haven't watched Bern's vids. Will do so later after work when I have time. But wanted to respond to your question.

IMO it's because of money.

The big orange grove that used to be in my area became PRIME commercial real estate. Lowe's bought one corner of the intersection, oh, 10 years ago, maybe more. Then a Home Depot on the other side, a couple of years ago. There is now fast food places and a couple of small strip malls as well. Oh, and a Ruby Tuesday's.

I suspect the property and groves had been handed down for many generations. Selling the land for millions was a better financial decision, to whoever was in charge, than working and profiting from the groves.

Remember the awesome smell of oranges at that location, Bern?

I rarely smell it these days. Last time was a few years ago when I drove to Bradenton and past the Tropicana Orange Juice plant.

Orange groves are dying breed.

I haven't watched Bern's vids. Will do so later after work when I have time. But wanted to respond to your question.

IMO it's because of money.

The big orange grove that used to be in my area became PRIME commercial real estate. Lowe's bought one corner of the intersection, oh, 10 years ago, maybe more. Then a Home Depot on the other side, a couple of years ago. There is now fast food places and a couple of small strip malls as well. Oh, and a Ruby Tuesday's.

I suspect the property and groves had been handed down for many generations. Selling the land for millions was a better financial decision, to whoever was in charge, than working and profiting from the groves.

Remember the awesome smell of oranges at that location, Bern?

I rarely smell it these days. Last time was a few years ago when I drove to Bradenton and past the Tropicana Orange Juice plant.

Orange groves are dying breed.

Thanks, ladygator. That makes a lot of sense. It is likely the same in any area where there has been family-based agriculture. Here in western Washington, we have lost family-run berry fields, as well as daffodils and tulips. In eastern Washington, the crop under threat is apples. There is also cattle farming in the eastern part of the state, and that is quietly fading away as well.

After WWII a lot of family farmers sent their kids off to college. The kids went on to get steady jobs that offered good pay and benefits, and security. A steady job made it a lot easier to raise a family than fighting the land for income in agriculture, where a bumper crop this year may bring fields of disease or weather blight next year. As the kids inherited the farms, they saw a better future in selling the land than in going back to farming.

Here, the state and in some cases the counties have tried to stop the loss of family-owned farmland ... but the main opponents of this movement are--the farmers or their heirs. So many farmers have already made a killing by parceling out and selling their land. In Pierce County where I live, a law was enacted that stated that farmland could only be sold to be continued as farmland, and no such land could be converted to commercial uses. But the law came so late in the day that the only person who is impacted is one lone family-based daffodil grower in Puyallup. In his view, his land--once considered a goldmine--has now been rendered worthless, and he is considering whether to challenge the law in court.

Now I wonder how these situations are altered by the current dive in the real estate industry, and in view of the fact that retail enterprise is also in a terrible slump. Here we have zone after zone full of fancy strip malls--for the most part sitting empty.

I can relate to your sorrow over losing the scent of the orange groves. That's how we feel about losing the rows upon rows of bobbing color that used to be daffodils and tulips. Now I wish I could get to Florida and see the orange groves before they are all gone!

Tomorrow marks 18 years Jennifer's killer has been free. Pleas stop for a moment to say a prayer that LE gets the lead they need to solve this case. If he is still in the area, other girls are at risk. If he is out of the state, other girls are at risk. Some one knows what happened to Jennifer, they need to send a tip, you don't have to leave your name, you can do it on line and remain anonymous. I don't believe he didn't tell someone, or confess to someone.

There is power in prayer, especially in numbers.

Approximately two years later on Thursday, January 5, 1995, a couple hunting for scrap metal
in a rural area of Hernando County discovered Jennifer's missing book bag and clarinet case.

I'm still not exactly sure what "Behind Oak Hill Hospital" (Weekiwachi, FL) means...

I drove through there yesterday. The ER is in the back of the hospital.
Next to the hospital maintenance / warehouse building. A few dumpsters...
One or two small swampy ponds.

The "woods" is a very thick brush area separating the Highpoint retirement/golf course community by a chain link fence.

I just can't see why a couple would be there searching for scrap metal...
(Unless there is a dump area further north next to the Highpoint community.)

It seems to me that I read somewhere on this thread or in Parking Lot (more likely here) that there was an unauthorized dump site that the couple was searching for scrap. These unauthorized dump sites are pretty common--probably everywhere! The back border of my Dad's property (in WA) is wooded and has been recorded as an unauthorized dump site. Every 3-6 months the county checks it out and sends a haz mat team to pick up junk and look for names/addresses in the scattered junk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaseyBee
Back