GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premeditation messes up a lot of jurors at times because it can be seconds, but a lot of people don't want to think of it that way.

I think "reasonable doubt" needs to be clarified and actually taught in every classroom civics class.

It's not reasonable to believe this was self defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is going on? Went to get a sheltered dog and already have had to break up two dog fights.

Ohhhh no! That's doesn't sound good.

They've reached a verdict in all but one charge.
Allen charge given... Back in deliberations..

Its sad that they havent found him guilty yet. I hope those who believe murder1 dont cave in and let this murderer off. I rather a hung jury than see him walk free.

Larry Hannan ‏@LarryHannan 1m
We are now at 31 hours of jury deliberations. #dunntrial #butwhoscounting

Its sad that they havent found him guilty yet. I hope those who believe murder1 dont cave in and let this murderer off. I rather a hung jury than see him walk free.

IMO he ain't walking no where and iirc the judge can stack em for the other charges. He still may never walk free based on guilty verdicts on the other counts.

Im good with murder 2. I just want it to say MURDER.

I think this is going to be okay. I think that they will find him guilty.

If not they will hang and we will do it again.

Hang in there guys.

Okay, my afternoon company just left. I just knew I would miss the verdict. Glad I didn't.

So, I gather the jury has decided on four counts and has been sent back to continue deliberating the other....

I am on pins and needles.

I am feeling so sick to my stomach. How can any jury member who watched the same trial I did decide that MD is not guilty of murder, regardless of the degree??!!!

I believe you are mistaken.

The Allen charge embodied in Florida Standard Jury Instruction 3.06 provides:

I know that all of you have worked hard to try to find a verdict in this case. It apparently has been impossible for you so far. Sometimes an early vote before discussion can make it hard to reach an agreement about the case later. The vote, not the discussion, might make it hard to see all sides of the case.

We are all aware that it is legally permissible for a jury to disagree. There are two things a jury can lawfully do: agree on a verdict or disagree on what the facts of the case may truly be.

There is nothing to disagree about on the law. The law is as I told you. If you have any disagreements about the law, I should clear them for you now. That should be my problem, not yours.

If you disagree over what you believe the evidence showed, then only you can resolve that conflict, if it is to be resolved.

I have only one request of you. By law, I cannot demand this of you, but I want you to go back into the jury room. Then, taking turns, tell each of the other jurors about any weakness of your own position. You should not interrupt each other or comment on each other’s views until each of you had a chance to talk. After you have done that, if you simply cannot reach a verdict, then return to the courtroom and I will declare this case mistried, and will discharge you with my sincere appreciation of your services.

You may now retire to continue with your deliberations.

This deadlock instruction was first approved by the Florida Supreme Court in State v. Bryan, 290 So. 2d 482 (Fla. 1974). In Bryan, after learning that the jury was not close to reaching a verdict despite five and a half hours of deliberation, the trial court gave the jury a “balanced” Allen charge, “urging the minority jurors to carefully reconsider their position to see if they could conscientiously agree with that of the majority of the jury.”13 The Bryan court found the instruction given did not differ materially from the approved Standard Jury Instruction 2.19, the predecessor of the current 3.06 Allen charge.14

https://www.floridabar.org/divcom/jn/jnjournal01.nsf/Articles/21AC5A6D2909065085256ADB005D62F6

So what the Judge said to the jury was verbatim the instruction as approved by the FL Supreme Court. You may not approve but it was a legal and perfectly appropriate instruction according to the supreme court.

UBM: The judge did NOT pull that out of his hindquarters. Fact.

Thank you, Ticya. This answered some of my questions and relieved my worry that his instructions could have led to a mistrial or grounds for appeal.

ok....I am going to lay off jurors till verdict comes down. Maybe some just don't understand premeditation. ERRRRRRRRRRRR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot