GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've ever seen how the system treats white DV victims then you know that race alone doesn't explain Marissa's case (although I readily agree it may have been part of the equation). Our system needs to do better for these women in general regardless of what race they are.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree, the issue with Marissa Alexander isn't just simply race, but I do think that race likely contributed. DV victims are treated like whiners who got what they deserved or are not to believed in many cases regardless of race. It's horrific and something that needs to be corrected. In my state I know there are efforts underway to make sure DV victims are treated better under the law, but it's a work in progress and certainly more, much more, needs to be done.

So far Mr. Strolla has showed class unlike the Casey Anthony defense team. I hope he remains respectful so I am not proven wrong. Do attorneys who represent the defendant have to believe they are innocent personally not just in a court of law?

No, the defense attorney does not have to believe in their clients innocence.
(most probably don't)

No, the Judge's job is to tell them to get back in and deliberate, that they know the facts better than anyone, that much time and expense has gone into this trial, and they need to continue to deliberate and get to a verdict. Telling them to go around the room, state your weakest point, etc. is absolutely not anywhere in the law. The judge made that one up himself. And I'm saying it's improper.

That instruction is explicit in the Florida Bar approved language for the Allen Charge, see below:
https://www.floridabar.org/divcom/jn/jnjournal01.nsf/Articles/21AC5A6D2909065085256ADB005D62F6
Quoting from that page:
I have only one request of you. By law, I cannot demand this of you, but I want you to go back into the jury room. Then, taking turns, tell each of the other jurors about any weakness of your own position. You should not interrupt each other or comment on each other’s views until each of you had a chance to talk. After you have done that, if you simply cannot reach a verdict, then return to the courtroom and I will declare this case mistried, and will discharge you with my sincere appreciation of your services.

I'm happy Dunn will spend the rest of his life in jail.

That said, I'm so sad that we still don't have an answer as to whether one can shoot a young black male in Florida carte blanche provided you say you were scared.

Jordan Davis deserves better, his family deserves better, Trayvon Martin deserved better, ALL of our children deserve better!

I don't understand why the protestors are wanting Corey's resignation? Huh?

I don't understand it either. But, peeps are understandably angry about this verdict combined with the GZ one.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree, the issue with Marissa Alexander isn't just simply race, but I do think that race likely contributed. DV victims are treated like whiners who got what they deserved or are not to believed in many cases regardless of race. It's horrific and something that needs to be corrected. In my state I know there are efforts underway to make sure DV victims are treated better under the law, but it's a work in progress and certainly more, much more, needs to be done.

I agree. If you get around to it at some point, could you PM me a link to what's going on in your State? I'd love to read about it.

ETA: Nevermind, I'm slow. I just assumed I didn't know what state you were in when the "MN" in your name kind of gives it away, lol.

You're lucky. AFAIK, never having been there, MN is awesome. We lost a huge voice for women when Ellen Pence passed. Her Duluth model was groundbreaking. I'm pretty sure I heard recently that Minn. won a WH OWG/VAWA grant for this year, along with four other sites nationwide for new work and research. Very exciting stuff.

I just arrived home and immediately checked for a verdict. Shocked right now but this is exactly what I predicted after the jurors questions yesterday and this morning. This time I hate that I was right. Someone please tell me that he will be retried for the murder of Jordan Davis, I hate to wade through over 800 pages trying to find out.

He needs to hush. His client stated that Jordan was the one who "threatened" him (IMO - nope, didn't happen). The other three young men did not. So, MD could only claim self defense against the person "threatening".

I would love to see him try to appeal with that nonsense. Plus, he doesn't know if the jury bought the self defense claim or not - nobody but them know what they were hung on.

I would love to hear how Dunn felt threatened by Tommie Stornes going into the gas station to purchase a pack of cigarettes & a pack of gum then driving away while Dunn was firing shots at his vehicle.
:rolleyes:

I just arrived home and immediately checked for a verdict. Shocked right now but this is exactly what I predicted after the jurors questions yesterday and this morning. This time I hate that I was right. Someone please tell me that he will be retried for the murder of Jordan Davis, I hate to wade through over 800 pages trying to find out.

Yes, they announced they will retry him for murder 1.

It is just mind boggling that a juror COULD be convinced of self defense to me but that is what makes trial watching hard. We see everything, even what they do not. And even though we see what they wee via live trial streams, I wonder how good we are at unknowing what we know and really sitting in those jurors' shoes.

sigh.

I do hope someone on that jury decides to talk about what went on and what the hang up was on count 1

Ok, I am going to watch this from the beginning, but how can it be 1st degree murder if it technically not pre-meditated? Sounds like a rage case.

As disappointed as some people are that Dunn wasn't convicted of the murder of Jordan at least he's not walking the streets tonight and this is not over yet.

Has Rhonda been seen in the last few days? Was she at court tonight? You'd think a fiancé would have been there.

I don't understand it either. But, peeps are understandably angry about this verdict and the GZ one.

Do they feel she didn't do a good job! I thought she did, considering I don't even care for her!

I don't understand it either. But, peeps are understandably angry about this verdict and the GZ one.

I disagree with the lack of a first degree murder verdict from the jury in this case and I agree with the juries verdict in the George Zimmerman case.

I'm not angry about the outcome in this case because that won't change anything.

MOO.

Yes, Angela Corey has already stated at this point, the state will retrial Dunn for 1st degree murder of Jordan Davis. They will speak to the victim's family to make sure they would like to proceed as well.

Do they feel she didn't do a good job! I thought she did, considering I don't even care for her!

She's the one who overcharged Marissa Alexander. Then, some people wondered if she overcharged Zimmerman too, and blamed that partly (rightly or wrongly) for why he got off.

If you listened to her tonight, she made perfect sense: When a guy shoots ten bullets into a car of unarmed teenagers, she's going to charge first degree 10 out of 10 times. I don't think this case was overcharged. But, a lot of people had strong feelings about her before this case for various reasons and I think those might be carrying over into this trial.

I have never been to Florida, but I am pretty confident that Angela Corey is not the problem with Florida's justice system.

It is just mind boggling that a juror COULD be convinced of self defense to me but that is what makes trial watching hard. We see everything, even what they do not. And even though we see what they wee via live trial streams, I wonder how good we are at unknowing what we know and really sitting in those jurors' shoes.

sigh.

I do hope someone on that jury decides to talk about what went on and what the hang up was on count 1

Some cases I'm on the fence and can understand how a jury can come up hung on what is the right decision. This is a case like Casey Anthony where it isn't too hard to figure out. At least in my opinion.

I also hope that we get an idea of the thought process's envolved with this jury. It will be intresting I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macogle