FL - Julia Bennett, 33, shot dead, 2yo son blamed, Miramar, 20 April 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Authorities in Florida are trying to determine what, if any, charges to file against a father who says his toddler son picked up his semi-automatic handgun and accidentally shot and killed his mother last week.

"At the very least, it could be negligence for leaving the firearm accessible to the child," Tania Rues, a Miramar, Fla. Police Department spokeswoman, told The Huffington Post. "Obviously, you have potential of manslaughter and upwards as well, [but] I really wouldn't want to speculate at this moment."

According to Rues, neighbors reported hearing the shot at 7 p.m., and Bailey’s 911 call was placed fewer than five minutes later.

"It was dispatched at 7:04, and our officers arrived fairly quickly because they were actually in the building next door investigating an [unrelated case]," she said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/26/toddlers-accidental-fatal-shooting-mother_n_853971.html

Fewer than 5 minutes, 4 minutes... We found my ex F-I-L deceased in our home - it took me fewer than 30 seconds to place that call, when no one had arrived after what seemed like forever, I called back - The dispatcher informed me it had been 2 minutes since my first call. TWO very long minutes.

FOUR MINUTES - an eternity in an emergency.

wellput LCM, four minutes is indeed an eternity.

Time enough to make darn sure someone is dead and not just injured. Time enough to try and come up with what you story you are going with. Time enough to stash any illegal items. Time enough.

It is possible things happened just as the man says they did. I just don't find it very likely. This one is still giving me lots of hink.

At the very least this man is responsible (negligent homicide). I think he is guilty of far worse.

I carry 3 9mm's. One of them is a Glock. Don't know which model was used in this shooting, but I would have to say there is no way this child shot his mother.

The Glock takes quite a bit of pressure to shoot. It is usually a 4.5 to 6.5 lb trigger. They are notoriously large grips. I am a 5'2 female, and I rarely use this one, as I have a hard time getting a handle on it in order to shoot. If you don't have a good grip, you can't pull the trigger. And a Glock has 2 triggers for safety. One in the center of the main trigger. You must have that pulled in order to set off the second trigger.

If for some crazy reason, this child was able to pull the trigger, the gun would have jumped out of his hand afterwards, and scared him to death. I wear electronic headphones for noise, and the sound is still LOUD.

Most licensed gun owners, such as myself, keep a loaded magazine in the gun, and already have 1 in the chamber. So you NEVER leave it lying around. If this man had a loaded magazine, but didn't chamber a round, the kid never could have done it. The slide on a Glock, IMO, is tough.

jmoo

First time I shot a 9mm the noise and recoil made me close my eyes and loose my aim, I shot WAY up. The recoil would have been heck on the kid. I agree the slide is tough, I'm also 5'2" and worked at a company that made sights and scopes for guns. I was around them quite a bit.

:seeya: hi! I'll also add besides the fact that this licensed gun owner left his weapon loaded in the reach of a. T W O yr old,it was reported that he had threatened this woman with it in the past. This is not responsible behavior and he probably. should never have been allowed a permit in the first place.
IMO..guns don't kill "people" and PENCILS don't misspell words.
I don't own a gun, but I have many big knives in the kitchen! funny how kids don't play with knives huh???? WHY? because from a very young age we TEACH them how dangerous they are.
Whether an adult is pro or anti, gun, I hope EVERY PARENT is teaching their children from the time they can crawl that guns are dangerous, to NEVER touch one, even if you don't own one you'd be surprised at the people that do - and leave them laying around or easily accessible to small children.
MOO

We do not have guns around our home, other than a shotgun that hasn't been used or loaded since probably the 90's and the ammo is hidden elsewhere. However, my FIL has guns. We taught DD early what different types of guns look like and that they are NOT toys. She knows if she is at home or ANYWHERE and she sees a gun, she is not to touch it and is to immediately, without delay, let an adult in the home know about it. She knows she is not to go looking through people's closests at home or anywhere else. She knows if a friend wants to show her a gun, she needs to say "no" and get an adult. I'm pretty sure we drilled it into her head that guns are only for grown-ups and if she wants to learn to shoot when she's older, then they are only for use with grown-ups. Although I'm thinking we should have a refresher talk....

Lyn--ITA, refresher courses are imperative with kids as each new talk needs to fit the child's developmental stage and life experiences (just like talks on sex and drugs). We've never owned guns but we knew it was always possible that the children might encounter them somewhere. We constantly drilled them and role played what to do if they came upon one. One of our closest friends is a female LEO and was our children's DARE officer. She made sure to drive home that point for all those who don't have guns in the home as that can make children even more curious.

The NRA site has a fabulous tutorial on gun safety for very young children. And as an aside, I'm surely not an NRA supporter but I have to say that I was very impressed.

Ok guys - we got an update. This guy's story makes absolutely no sense and I sure hope he gets the max.

BTW - the other shooting they talk about at the end of the article - I remember that. Two best friends - one shot and killed the other. OMG - that 911 call made me sob! It brought my DH to tears as well. That poor child - it truly was an accident. His mom got probation and the boy got 9 mos at a rehab. It was truly a horrible horrible accident.

Here's the link to the new article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...mar-toddler-shooting-20110504,0,3119114.story

If he claims he heard her talking to the toddler asking to put the gun down, why is she shot in the back? I am surprised he still isn't charged with anything, I'd think that at the very least they could charge him with negligent manslaughter since it was his gun he didn't store in a locked container.

"Hot" guns mean... where I am from... that they were bought illegally on the streets. They are usually stolen guns sold illegally. Just sayin'

good point, unless the grown man is in a seated position, which would likely put him at the same level as a standing toddler (approximately).

I think the trajectory, the gun powder residue and the physical evidence will tell the tale.

If his story is to be believed, both of their hands could have gun powder residue, since he is apparently claiming he tried to grab the gun from the child when it went off. So that line of evidence on who done it would be out. I find it particularly interesting that he claims he heard her asking the child to put the gun down, yet she is said to be shot in the back. If she was talking to the child, presumably she would be looking at the child, so why is she shot in the back?

yeah, jjenny, this guys story just isn't adding up for me.

Ok guys - we got an update. This guy's story makes absolutely no sense and I sure hope he gets the max.

BTW - the other shooting they talk about at the end of the article - I remember that. Two best friends - one shot and killed the other. OMG - that 911 call made me sob! It brought my DH to tears as well. That poor child - it truly was an accident. His mom got probation and the boy got 9 mos at a rehab. It was truly a horrible horrible accident.

Here's the link to the new article:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...mar-toddler-shooting-20110504,0,3119114.story

Thank you WOO

So this "man" had the forethought to take dangerous nail clippers out of the room but left a loaded gun under a pillow on the couch... Yep makes all the sense in the world... NOT!

I also do not believe a mother would turn her back on her toddler who was holding a gun. Let the "man" keep talking and cooperating, something tells me his story will continue to evolve.

Exactly what I thought LCoastMom...he had the presence of mind to remove those dangerous nail clippers, but had a loaded Glock right out in the open. Then was not strong enough to wrestle the gun from a 2 yr old?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/26/toddlers-accidental-fatal-shooting-mother_n_853971.html

Father is a Jamaican national, and he had a permit to carry a concealed weapon?
I wish mother had called 911 when father previously pulled gun on her, and that would have been the end of the permit if it is even legal.

Article includes 911 call. Have listened to it several times (hard to understand father in much of it); I know what I think. One article states that LE had to kick the door in even after 911 call. Am surprised there has not been an arrest yet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico
Back