FL FL - Kingfish Boat Ramp Murders, Holmes Beach, 1 Aug 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My understanding was that Barrows testified in the case involving Candy Mossler, the woman accused of being involved in the killing of her husband. She had been having an affair with her nephew.
Interesting given that the Mossler case was from around 1966; in my opinion that would be a stretch to think someone waited until 1980 to seek revenge but you never know. Might be interesting to find out if any other trial witnesses for the prosecution met similar fates... (they probably did not or the dots may have been connected by now) MOO

I agree that it would be a stretch to think that had anything to do with the murders. I find that highly unlikely to be the motive.

I agree that it would be a stretch to think that had anything to do with the murders. I find that highly unlikely to be the motive.
Digging a little deeper it seems that Candy Mossler checked into the Fontainebleau Hotel in 1976 (where Barrios worked) and was found dead of an overdose the next day in her room. So... who really knows, perhaps Barrios had seen something related to her death at the hotel but as far as I could tell there was never a suspicion of her death being anything but accidental overdose so no trial for Barrios to have testified at regarding her death.
EDIT: Name of Barrios should have been Barrows

Last edited:
What were the "natural causes" that Barrows ultimately died of ca 1982 ?

I assume there has not been another attempt on his life after the Kingfish murders or that would certainly be known?!

years go by and still nothing. Im wondering if they ever decided to run the prints they had through federal. If any of the jailhouse stories are true, then the fingerprint should hit if the killer is sitting in jail, hell, first thing jail does is fingerprint you. You also got to think, a guy murders a whole family, an innocent bystander, and has not been arrested one time since the murders??

This is such an extraordinary and brazen crime, it has to be solveable....hell, there is supposed to be even a photo of the killer, albeit this has since disappeared from this thread. Really poor police work that it's apparently not even clear who the actual target was 40 years after the fact.

I was a medical student working as an 'extern' that summer with a well-established physician in Tampa. He knew Dumois well and described him as a truly nice guy and doctor dedicated to his patients---not the type to at all be involved in a revenge/target/scheme. The Tampa medical community, in fact, was quite shook up about the whole thing at the time, especially those docs who worked out of St Joseph's Hospital where he admitted his patients. The Holmes Beach area is but an hour from Tampa---many professionals have beach/weekend getaway places there. The story was well-covered by local TV and The St Petersburg Times (now The TampaBay Times), as well as The [now defunct] Tampa Tribune.

Agree, quite the peculiarity! It must be in an old analog file at the PD in Holmes Beach/AnnaMaria.

I do not think this was a mob hit - or a political assassination connected to Cuba. No hit man or political assassin would carry and utilize a .22 cal pistol for his work. Also, hit men rarely kill young kids. It’s totally unnecessary. He also wouldn’t utilize a bike as his first critical means to flee the scene. If somebody wanted to carry out a hit, I think there were much cleaner, less complicated, and more private locations at which he could have done so.

I think the perp in this case was Richard Lee Whitley out of Chicago and Virginia. A true lunatic. He had been in the Tampa area at the time, and was arrested by TPA LE within a day or two of the murders (not sure what for). At one time I think he was their main suspect. I think LE strongly suspected him to be their guy for many reasons. His supposed alibi (that he was at the mission) could have been set up in advance by him. In any event, it was not a strong alibi IMO.

Whitley (from the only picture I could find) also looks just like the front seat passenger’s description (IMO) - and matches the second composite sketch - right down to the curly sideburns and heavy lines in his forehead. Hard to tell about the eye color. Sorry I can’t link from this device.

Whitley was a deranged lunatic and psychopath (Jmo). But, read about the crime he committed against the 63 year old woman in VA. and I think you’ll agree with me that he could have been their man. He was executed in 1987.

All jmo

Being a Florida native and life long resident, this case has intrigued me for a long time. As Sleuthster asked above, have the blurry photos of the suspect shot by the passerby ever been released? I assume they were because I found some posts where it mentioned they contained links to the photos, but the the links have disappeared. I wonder why?

Those blurry images that everyone was asking about were posted in the Bradenton Herald in 2010. If you have a newspapers dot com subscription, you can search them. I'll attach them as well. I found two different ones. One published on Aug 1, 2010, another publised on Sept 19, 2010.

Attachments

• BLURRY IMAGE TAKEN B.jpg
    BLURRY IMAGE TAKEN B.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 72
  • blurry image.jpg
    blurry image.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 68
I do not think this was a mob hit - or a political assassination connected to Cuba. No hit man or political assassin would carry and utilize a .22 cal pistol for his work. Also, hit men rarely kill young kids. It’s totally unnecessary. He also wouldn’t utilize a bike as his first critical means to flee the scene. If somebody wanted to carry out a hit, I think there were much cleaner, less complicated, and more private locations at which he could have done so.

I think the perp in this case was Richard Lee Whitley out of Chicago and Virginia. A true lunatic. He had been in the Tampa area at the time, and was arrested by TPA LE within a day or two of the murders (not sure what for). At one time I think he was their main suspect. I think LE strongly suspected him to be their guy for many reasons. His supposed alibi (that he was at the mission) could have been set up in advance by him. In any event, it was not a strong alibi IMO.

Whitley (from the only picture I could find) also looks just like the front seat passenger’s description (IMO) - and matches the second composite sketch - right down to the curly sideburns and heavy lines in his forehead. Hard to tell about the eye color. Sorry I can’t link from this device.

Whitley was a deranged lunatic and psychopath (Jmo). But, read about the crime he committed against the 63 year old woman in VA. and I think you’ll agree with me that he could have been their man. He was executed in 1987.

All jmo

Apart from the fact he may have been in the area, I'm curious as to why you suspect Richard Lee Whitley? From a cursory read of his profile, his MO and victimology does not fit these murders. He raped and murdered a female neighbour with a pocketknife. Maybe he was deranged enough to randomly open fire on a bunch of civilians but I don't see anything concrete linking him to this case.

Also, didn't the gunman have a getaway driver? That would discredit the theory it was the act of a crazy lone killer.

What seems weird to me is that the murderer seemed to be walking in the opposite direction of where he wanted to go.. He was walking east on toward the mainland but he wanted the Dr to go west then south on Gulf Drive.. Weird..

Whats more interesting is that there was another boat trailer trying to load this trailer in the bay but seemed to be getting frustrated that the Dr. was taking his time unloading from the water.. Burrows and another witness identify this guy with very little detail.

Also found out there was a driver in the getaway car..Few witnesses stated that the killer got into the left side of the car after loading his bike, others say there was an unidentified driver.. More witness statements:

Carmen Mcdonald. He was at the boat ramp and makes a mental note of a LONG homemade trailer, remember this, cause its mentioned again by burrows.. 1-5 of 12pgs

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Bud316, can you tell us where you “found out there was a driver in the getaway car.”?

I have read every post and every linked article (thank you Bud316 for the unbelievable contribution you have made in an effort to help solve this case) - but I personally do not believe there was an accomplice or getaway driver. No witnesses at Foodway reported seeing a second individual or seeing two men in the car at the same time.

Imo, the single news article from the Bradenton Post (which liz b referenced) was in error. In no other media reports or witness statements is there confirmation that there was a second individual or accomplice. This is obviously a huge issue.

Although the one Bradenton Post article mentioned an “unidentified driver”, there are as many (or more) MSM articles and eyewitness statements (incl. LE interviews posted by Bud316) that make no mention of an accomplice. It seems this would be a glaring omission.

Again, it is just my opinion, but I agree with Bessie’s post #243 back in 2014 (and ZaZara) that there was only one perp. I think it’easy to see how “suspect’s vehicle” could quickly morph into “suspects vehicle” or even “suspects’ vehicle” in different media accounts and sources over time.

If anybody can help resolve this issue (perhaps using multiple links to something besides the one Bradenton Post article - ie maybe a statement from local LE and/or the FBI) I think it would be very helpful. Jmo

Last edited:
Bud316, can you tell us where you “found out there was a driver in the getaway car.”?

I have read every post and every linked article (thank you Bud316 for the unbelievable contribution you have made in an effort to help solve this case) - but I personally do not believe there was an accomplice or getaway driver. No witnesses at Foodway reported seeing a second individual or seeing two men in the car at the same time.

Imo, the single news article from the Bradenton Post (which liz b referenced) was in error. In no other media reports or witness statements is there confirmation that there was a second individual or accomplice. This is obviously a huge issue.

Although the one Bradenton Post article mentioned an “unidentified driver”, there are as many (or more) MSM articles and eyewitness statements (incl. LE interviews posted by Bud316) that make no mention of an accomplice. It seems this would be a glaring omission.

Again, it is just my opinion, but I agree with Bessie’s post #243 back in 2014 (and ZaZara) that there was only one perp. I think it’easy to see how “suspect’s vehicle” could quickly morph into “suspects vehicle” or even “suspects’ vehicle” in different media accounts and sources over time.

If anybody can help resolve this issue (perhaps using multiple links to something besides the one Bradenton Post article - ie maybe a statement from local LE and/or the FBI) I think it would be very helpful. Jmo

I recently sent a FOIA request for the casefile. I have found nothing in the documents so far to suggest that there was anyone else in the car with the perpetrator. I read one news article where it mentioned an "unidentified driver" - I think this was the long Bradenton Herald Article from 2010 - and that has been the single mention anywhere I've yet found that mentioned more than one perpetrator. I'm on my second read-thru of the documents I recieved via FOIA request and have seen nothing to indicate a driver that was different from the perp who rode the bike that day.

I also wanted to mention, regarding the question of another possible person in the vehicle. Another reason I think it's unlikely is that one of the witnesses who saw the shooting in the Foodway parking lot, saw the perp standing at the open driver's side door just prior to him taking off, then get in the vehicle and drive away. That tends to negate someone else being there driving the getaway car.

Witness Carmen Mcdonald 11-12 of 12 pgs.

attachment.php
attachment.php
The part about another trailer (homemade?) waiting to use the ramp makes me wonder if a drug boat was scheduled to arrive at that time and the victims were on the ramp when it was scheduled to be there. Could this have been a hit on the wrong people?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back