Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Read a similar story recently about how a family were standing feeding a snake at the Magic Kingdom!

How is that even possible? Did they carry frozen rats around in their pocket? Snakes are extremely picky eaters.

I did read about a snake (wild) that fell out of a tree and bit a kid at Disney World back in January. Non-venomous, the kid was fine, went to the nurse and the family enjoyed the rest of their day at the park. Later the family sued the park claiming it caused the grandmother to have a fatal heart attack as a result of the incident.

http://fox59.com/2016/01/29/family-...-at-disney-world-leads-to-grandmothers-death/

I know alligators are aggressive but you think they would be a bit timid to come up out of water to grab the child when many people are around and fireworks going off.
Alligators are so very strong and fast.

This may be a stupid question but..... is there ANY hope that little boy is alive? Injured.. but alive??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading the story from the British couple, and seeing the above picture of the alligator sunning himself, I am of the opinion that Disney was playing with fire in their negligence of taking steps to prevent the alligators from coming ashore. Millions of people visit Disney yearly with their hotels filled by these guests nightly.

Signs saying "No Swimming" do not alert guests to watch out for man-eating alligators popping out of the water. Disney knew alligators were in the Lagoon water. Disney knew it was just a matter of time before an accident occurred.

Now, instead of being proactive and taking care of the problem with alligators having access to the beaches, Disney is facing a large pay out in a settlement, having to do the repairs to solve the problem, plus the knowledge that due to Disneys inefficient manner of handling guest's safety, a family visiting their resort has lost a precious child.

We don't know where the slip-up was and why the necessary steps have not been taken before now, but I am sure Walt is not a happy man!

May this family and the witness' be given love and peace as they deal with the trauma they saw.

My opinion only.

Frankly, I refused to take my young children to Florida. Too many friends with similar aged kids who said they could not let theirs more than 10 feet away outside because of alligators in every tiny body of water, drainage ditch, etc. Forget it. And that was in the mid 1990s.

[h=1]Sheriff: Boy taken by alligator is dead[/h]
he Orange County Sheriff says there's no question the 2-year-old boy taken underwater by an alligator at a Disney resort is dead.
"It's not survivable at this point for him to be submerged for 15 hours," said Sheriff Jerry Demings.

More @ link: http://fox11online.com/news/nation-world/sheriff-boy-taken-by-alligator-is-

Had to figure after this long, but so sad to actually see it is being stated by sheriff. :(

Alligator found in backyard of home on Detroit's west side

Animal Control removes 2-foot animal from Strathmoor Street yard

By Halston Herrera - Digital news editor

Posted: 2:05 PM, June 15, 2016
Updated: 2:45 PM, June 15, 2016

DETROIT - Animal Control was called Wednesday to remove a two-foot alligator from the backyard of a home in Detroit...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...gn=Breaking News Alert&utm_term=wdiv_breaking

Disney's 2 billionth visitor was in 2006. This is the first time something like this happened. 2 billion+ have visited the park, and were not killed by a gator. This was a freak accident, and Disney did nothing wrong. They should not have to put up more signs or barriers when their current way of handling the gator problem around tourists was extremely effective.

Why do you think so? I agree the warning signs should've included alligators, but there's not been a problem before. 45 years in business (according to the Sheriff), and 28 years with this specific beach, and it's never happened before. 19,000,000 visitors to WDW annually. It was a horrible accident, but I just don't see a huge "hit" coming. Disney is very very good at being Disney.

As absolutely horrific as this specific incident was, I just can't see how Disney can be held liable for this (legally), even if they had ZERO signs on the beach. :( As the sheriff stated multiple times during the presser - "Gators are simply part of the landscape here in Florida". Regardless of measures taken to try to eliminate as many as they see (which they've repeatedly stated they do) there is simply no way to 100% guarantee there are no gators at Disney. I think there is possibly more disgust due to the type of animal that caused this boys death - most of us have seen (even via TV or videos) gators taking down prey and it's just terrifying to watch. Let alone when the prey is a 2 year old child. FWIW, I've only been to Disney twice, but I know there are gators that lounge at the pond at Shades of Green.

My question is this: Would people feel Disney were liable if say, a venomous snake had struck the boy and he died? Or what about even something as simple as a bee or a spider (and the child died). We can only compare different methods of death to really determine if Disney should be held responsible and just how many warning signs need posted, and where? I think the fact that the child likely passed in a situation that is a parents worst nightmare is what makes it so tragic.

I just can't even fathom how horrific the sight was - to see your child ripped from your arms and then pulled under water while you struggle to hang on. Absolutely terrifying!! Those poor parents. :(

Yet - should Disney be held liable for any and all species that make their way onto their property and behave in the manner they were intended? I'm not sure. I do know that my prayers are with this family and I truly hope they are able to (by some miracle) recover this little boy. :(

I read that an anonymous employee told a reporter that guests sometimes feed the gators. Why are people so stupid?

From watching Disney movies that make killer animals into friends to live with - watched over and over and over . . .

Disney's 2 billionth visitor was in 2006. This is the first time something like this happened. 2 billion+ have visited the park, and were not killed by a gator. This was a freak accident, and Disney did nothing wrong. They should not have to put up more signs or barriers when their current way of handling the gator problem around tourists was extremely effective.

But deep pockets, you know . . .

I agree

I think that the fact that this is the first incident in the lagoon since resort opened is of little comfort to this child's family.
I'm not saying this will hurt Disney. I'm saying I personally feel they are negligent in making beach attractive without posting the appropriate verbiage on signs. Point blank period. One child taken by an alligator in front of his horrified family is one child too many. Jmo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think that the fact that this is the first incident in the lagoon since resort opened is of little comfort to this child's family.
I'm not saying this will hurt Disney. I'm saying I personally feel they are negligent in making beach attractive without posting the appropriate verbiage on signs. Point blank period. One child taken by an alligator in front of his horrified family is one child too many. Jmo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have never stayed at any of the Disney resorts with beaches. But I always found it odd that they even existed. What is the point of a beach if you can't get in the water? It really never made sense to me at all.

Here in Nebraska we have tons of lakes, streams, ponds, etc. The water is filthy but people still go in them so if that is the reason for "no swimming" signs, many people I know wouldn't see the big problem with dipping their toes in.

I remember reading one of the reasons they discontinued swimming was because of the danger of all the motorized boats in the water.

By that logic, Disney doesn't need to put warning signs up before rides since the incidents of death/injury are quite few compared to the 2+ billion visitors.

Legally, Disney did nothing. There are no signs around warning of alligators, nor signs saying you should not feed alligators that it is against the law.

Disney needs to put up signs. At least then, in a court of law they can say, "We did this," instead of, "We did nothing."

They know they have gators. They know they have beaches on the lake. They know they have kids and families on those beaches. They play movies next to these beaches to attract the families. They know the risk. They didn't make sure that the guests knew the same risks.

Thank you beach. I've been getting mad at ppl on my own fb feed for this unfeeling crap. Have a heart!

Admin Note

I can't believe some of the stuff I am reading on this thread.

1. This was a horrible, freak accident. That has been officially confirm ed. To even suggest it could be a hoax is not only ridiculous, it is extremely disrespectful to everyone, especially the family who is suffering the loss of a 2 year old child.

2. STOP judging and blaming the parents. WHY? Glass houses and all that, you know? It is clear they didn't intentionally mean to put their precious child in harm's way. For heaven's sake, have some compassion.

With all of the devastating news that has come out of Orlando in the past week, my patience is very thin for anything less than empathy. If you feel the need to place blame, it is probably best to not post or sign off for a while.

Per CNN: Awaiting press conference.

ETA: Scheduled for 4:00PM (EDT).

Utter shock and disbelief, how horrifying beyond words. And that it happened at WDW, such a beautiful and magical place for such an unexpected tragedy. But nature moved in, didn't it. That poor precious baby and his family. OMG that poor mother, I can't even imagine. :cry: I pray they are blessed with comfort and strength, that they would be stronger than I think I would be if that had been my baby. Just unbelievable. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eNeMeEe