Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, what body of water do water moccasin's live in??

My only fear throughout my life has been going into the ocean beyond my waist since the movie, "Jaws".

Now I have to be aware of fresh water in Florida, or the South.

Don't the divers worry about swimming with alligators? I'm a diver, and you wouldn't catch me in an area with sharks.

If you get an opportunity to watch some episodes of Gator Boys, you'll see how much gators really don't want to have anything to do with people. The Gator Boys are licensed alligator trappers who go out to catch and relocate nuisance gators. They get right in the water with the gators and swim right up to them. Murky water, often. The gator will usually do everything it can to avoid being anywhere near people.

I have a friend whose father used to be a licensed gator trapper. The man died of a heart attack that happened while in the middle of catching a gator. He was actually on the gator's back when the heart attack started. (He died later at the hospital.)

I read that an anonymous employee told a reporter that guests sometimes feed the gators. Why are people so stupid?

Admin Note

I can't believe some of the stuff I am reading on this thread.

1. This was a horrible, freak accident. That has been officially confirm ed. To even suggest it could be a hoax is not only ridiculous, it is extremely disrespectful to everyone, especially the family who is suffering the loss of a 2 year old child.

2. STOP judging and blaming the parents. WHY? Glass houses and all that, you know? It is clear they didn't intentionally mean to put their precious child in harm's way. For heaven's sake, have some compassion.

With all of the devastating news that has come out of Orlando in the past week, my patience is very thin for anything less than empathy. If you feel the need to place blame, it is probably best to not post or sign off for a while.

It will definitely be interesting to see if the public blames the parents for not watching their child close enough, like they did with the gorilla incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't "blame" them but I think its negligent to let my child go into a body of water that clearly says no swimming....but of course, rules don't apply, maybe only when we want them to.

How horrific for the parents. How could Disney risk patrons like that? Having a movie next to the lake? Where they know alligators are.
there are nightly movies at all the resorts and nothing like this has happened before. Florida has gators EVERYWHERE...everywhere.

Playing in the water's edge/wading in the water a foot/12 inches from the beach -- not even remotely close to swimming.
that water is NASTY, very dirty and not fit for swimming.

No doubt, Disney will take steps to try to make sure that it never, ever happens again. I guess the beaches will now be patrolled, the little self-driven boats and canoeing at Fort wilderness will be a thing of the past, barriers will be erected under bridges and walkways...and everybody will be a little bit more fearful and a little less relaxed on their magical vacation. We now seem unable to tolerate the fact that nobody can foresee every possibility for tragedy and prevent it. While, at the same time, accepting very preventable deaths every single day.
and that will suck.

They're killing gators, 4 dead so far .. Still no sign of the child http://www.news.com.au/world/north-...a/news-story/fd2d0fcd5976673e8da05c754f84ad56 I wish we wouldn't do this EVERY SINGLE TIME!
it is a shame they are killing all the gators...

Just because the family was at the Grand Floridian beach doesn't mean that they were staying there. Anyone can go there and watch the movie on the beach. They could have been staying off-site or another Disney hotel.
and that is highly discouraged anymore, people have abused the pool usage and other things for too long Disney is cracking down. But it really shouldn't matter. they should not have been "wading".

my friend runs the fishing charters out of the seven seas lagoon, there are plenty of gators in there. and that water is horrific. The ferry to magic kingdom runs in there, all the rental boats run in there....the nighttime water parade (oh watch this get cancelled). No swimming means don't get in the water...it doesn't mean wade it, feel free to float on your back and hang out but don't swim.....???

I am a native ~ gators are on golf courses, salt water canals, pools, backyards, everywhere.....we know not to walk small dogs and children next to the waters edge of ANY body of water. If its Florida and a body of water, assume there is at least one gator in it.

My lawn man was recently telling me the same thing about water moccasins. A guy he knew ran across one near a stream and took off running up the hill only to stop, turn around and realize the snake was still chasing him.

Here timber rattlers are my big worry. Had one in the yard a couple of times recently (meaning it was spotted, unlike all the other times when they aren't). Makes me paranoid as heck when certain dogs are out, if I hear the "look what I found!" bark go I go racing out there like a mad woman. We have coyotes too but they leave us (dogs, chickens) alone, my mastiff sees to that.

Oh yeah, that "look what I found" bark. I know it well. It's unlike any of the other barks you might normally hear. It's always worrisome to hear that bark.

Last year our large main dog was barking the "look what I found" bark. She was out in the field beyond the pond. We go out there, and she's running in circles around a 4-foot gator, who was probably on his way to or from the pond. The gator was totally freaked out and couldn't get away fast enough once we corralled the dog.

This is one of my worst fears! I had a dream that an alligator killed my youngest son. I was traumatized for a week and still shudder when I think about it. I am posting because this tragedy and all that surrounds it reminds me of a time I took my children to Yogi Bear for camping. All week we were in and out of the small lake...swimming...canoeing...paddle boating. This is in Florida where I am fully aware that alligators are in all bodies of water; however, I thought of Yogi as being a safe place with no alligators. On the LAST day there I took the kids paddleboating and found alligator after alligator on the backside of the lake that a hill had been covering. I was in shock! Needless to say, that was our last time in the water. My point is, I knew of the dangers and was still naive in the seemingly safe and fun grounds of Yogi. I could imagine Disney being even more deceiving. I do not point blame to anyone...that is not warranted right now...to me it seems like a tragic accident. I have been to various Disney resorts and remember being on the beach and saying I can't believe they allow paddleboats if there are alligators...I believe there were signs at the resorts I was at...or maybe because I live in Florida I assumed there were alligators...I can't recall right now. Prayers to this family and those who witnessed the horrible tragedy. Prayers to Orlando...my neighbor.

Why do you think so? I agree the warning signs should've included alligators, but there's not been a problem before. 45 years in business (according to the Sheriff), and 28 years with this specific beach, and it's never happened before. 19,000,000 visitors to WDW annually. It was a horrible accident, but I just don't see a huge "hit" coming. Disney is very very good at being Disney.
Well, it is certainly rare, but it actually did happen before (although not a death)...

https://www.romper.com/p/have-there-been-alligator-attacks-at-disney-before-they-are-a-rarity-12536

The last alligator attack at Disney World was nearly 30 years ago. In 1986, 8-year-old Paul Richard Santamaria was camping with his family at Disney World's Fort Wilderness, a resort and campground. While playing tetherball with his siblings, the third-grader was bitten by an alligator when he strayed from the group to watch ducks by a small pond near their campsite. Santamaria's sister pulled him from the gator's jaw as his brother began to beat the animal with his bare hands. The alligator released her grip on Santamaria, and he was rushed to a hospital to treat multiple lacerations on his left leg. The gator, a 7-foot female, was shot and killed by wildlife and game officials.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I read that an anonymous employee told a reporter that guests sometimes feed the gators. Why are people so stupid?

THAT angers me. I get so mad when I see that or hear about it happening. I've called and reported people for that.

just like the ones who feed all the birds and then wonder why you can't dine outside at disney without being bombarded by birds!!

Geez, what body of water do water moccasin's live in??

My only fear throughout my life has been going into the ocean beyond my waist since the movie, "Jaws".

Now I have to be aware of fresh water in Florida, or the South.

They live in lakes & ponds. Rivers, streams & creeks. Drainage ditches. Swamps, marshes & wetlands. Anywhere there's a body of water. IMO, water moccasins are like the bull shark of snakes. They're just mean & nasty.

I do have to admit that the one that bit my dog was justified. She had it in her mouth at the time.

Thing is the beach had a big "no swimming" sign but NO sign mentioning alligators. They get tourists from all over the world, many of whom have NO CLUE about the likelihood of encountering an alligator in Florida, much less in Disney World.

They really should have posted an alligator warning especially since the lagoon was full of them. IMO.

I am surprised their risk assessment people didn't have them do this.

Read a similar story recently about how a family were standing feeding a snake at the Magic Kingdom!

You do get them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so sorry for this family. They are from Nebraska and would not necessarily understand the natural threat of alligators being in the shallow water of a man made lagoon at a resort. Having grown up in alligator country, I would not put a toe in a lagoon as I know gators are everywhere and I fear them.

I hate to be the one to point a finger of blame but the resort knew the gators were there, or could be there, and there should have been warnings about their presence. You can't expect a prairie dweller to understand the dangers of swampy lagoons. No parent would allow their child to play in the water at the edge of a lagoon full of gators - if they knew the gators were a real and present danger. I don't understand the lack of advisory warnings. Disney built the lagoon, Disney managed the lagoon, Disney used the lagoon as an attraction, Disney knew of the gators, Disney failed to do basic due diligence with warnings of the dangers. Inexcusable.

Someone had to tell me that prairie dog holes were often filled with poisonous spiders and rattlesnakes. Otherwise, I would have been investigating the holes and trying to get close to the critters. I was told not to walk on a certain beach in Costa Rica at night because the Caymen (?) rest there at night. I was told not to go sightseeing in Johannesburg, SA because the residents do not like white people and may attack me. I was saved from an undertow by the warnings of a concerned local at a South American beach. I worked in the tourist industry and we were taught that it was our obligation to advise tourists of the city's dangers as they would not be familiar with our city and as our guests we must look out for their well being.

You can't have a business that caters to families with small children and fail to warn them that your lagoon is full of gators and therefore visits to the sandy beach area require extreme caution and vigilance. I am shocked that Disney failed to warn people of the presence of man killing animals on the property.

I can hardly think of a more horrifying tragedy. I can't imagine what it must be like to try to wrestle your baby from the jaws of a gator and lose him to the dark murky water.

There are just no words. None.

BBM: This is the crux of the issue for me. It was advertised like that - inviting even with the softly lapping water on the sandy beach, and activities were scheduled there during KNOWN feeding times for an aggressive predator on their property. There are toddlers there wanting to splash in the water, normal kids - I shudder to think about the autistic ones who are drawn to water (we've seen case after case of that).

Everything about this screams "yes" to a child. And just because I was curious, there are actual studies about the psychology of theme parks.

https://digital.library.ucf.edu/cdm/ref/collection/DPI/id/133

I don't "blame" them but I think its negligent to let my child go into a body of water that clearly says no swimming....but of course, rules don't apply, maybe only when we want them to.

there are nightly movies at all the resorts and nothing like this has happened before. Florida has gators EVERYWHERE...everywhere.

that water is NASTY, very dirty and not fit for swimming.

and that will suck.

it is a shame they are killing all the gators...

and that is highly discouraged anymore, people have abused the pool usage and other things for too long Disney is cracking down. But it really shouldn't matter. they should not have been "wading".

my friend runs the fishing charters out of the seven seas lagoon, there are plenty of gators in there. and that water is horrific. The ferry to magic kingdom runs in there, all the rental boats run in there....the nighttime water parade (oh watch this get cancelled). No swimming means don't get in the water...it doesn't mean wade it, feel free to float on your back and hang out but don't swim.....???

I am a native ~ gators are on golf courses, salt water canals, pools, backyards, everywhere.....we know not to walk small dogs and children next to the waters edge of ANY body of water. If its Florida and a body of water, assume there is at least one gator in it.

If people are water-skiing on the water, then (1) the water is not that nasty and (2) you would obviously assume the no swimming wasn't because the water was per se dangerous.

This has never happened before, even though there are gators living on Disney property. Disney has obviously done a good job keeping gators away from visitors.

After reading the story from the British couple, and seeing the above picture of the alligator sunning himself, I am of the opinion that Disney was playing with fire in their negligence of taking steps to prevent the alligators from coming ashore. Millions of people visit Disney yearly with their hotels filled by these guests nightly.

Signs saying "No Swimming" do not alert guests to watch out for man-eating alligators popping out of the water. Disney knew alligators were in the Lagoon water. Disney knew it was just a matter of time before an accident occurred.

Now, instead of being proactive and taking care of the problem with alligators having access to the beaches, Disney is facing a large pay out in a settlement, having to do the repairs to solve the problem, plus the knowledge that due to Disneys inefficient manner of handling guest's safety, a family visiting their resort has lost a precious child.

We don't know where the slip-up was and why the necessary steps have not been taken before now, but I am sure Walt is not a happy man!

May this family and the witness' be given love and peace as they deal with the trauma they saw.

My opinion only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members