Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm told that Florida alligators are much less aggressive than crocodiles. They're seen as lazy and maybe even slow-moving. I live in the North and personally could never get used to it. There's something about a reptile that's different from, say, a coyote when it comes to scariness.

Me, I'm more concerned about coyotes. They attack in packs. They sometimes carry rabies. When we hear packs of coyotes out there at night yipping, I make sure all our dogs are inside the house. But I'm not overly concerned about coyotes either. My biggest fear for myself and my loved ones is automobile transportation. Now, that's downright scary.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney has already cut the family a check so they don't have to deal with the case reappearing in headlines in a few months when a lawsuit is filed.

<modsnip>
BBM. And that is as it should be. Disney World has been in Florida for decades, and has a very good safety record. There is no reason that a single freak alligator attack should mean that from now on people associate Disney with alligator attacks. That would be ridiculous.

I read in another article that the family had 3 children, and had been staying at the hotel since Sunday. They were all there by the lagoon because it was movie night .
I can't imagine their heartbreak. I just have no words :cry:
That was also stated in the presser at 0100. There was mention of a playpen type set up for a baby, so I don't know if they had a younger child also or if it was set up for the toddler. It's been so long since I've had little ones.

In the presser, the Florida Wildlife Management representative stated that gators are not relocated, that would just be "relocating a problem alligator."

The state may not relocate them but this article said Disney does.

Alligators are a relatively common sight at the resort but are removed and relocated when they reach four feet and get too close to guest areas.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tor-near-Disney-s-Grand-Floridian-resort.html

BBM. And that is as it should be. Disney World has been in Florida for decades, and has a very good safety record. There is no reason that a single freak alligator attack should mean that from now on people associate Disney with alligator attacks. That would be ridiculous.

Thing is the beach had a big "no swimming" sign but NO sign mentioning alligators. They get tourists from all over the world, many of whom have NO CLUE about the likelihood of encountering an alligator in Florida, much less in Disney World.

They really should have posted an alligator warning especially since the lagoon was full of them. IMO.

It's 12+ hours later and they have found 5 gators...None of them have any traces of the child.

I'm told that Florida alligators are much less aggressive than crocodiles. They're seen as lazy and maybe even slow-moving. I live in the North and personally could never get used to it. There's something about a reptile that's different from, say, a coyote when it comes to scariness.
We've got both around our property and they're both pretty scary. I've seen gators grab ducks with barely a ripple in the water. Snakes are pretty bad also (water moccasins). DH and I are deeply saddened. DH was devastated when he heard the news around 0300 when I finally woke him up.

<modsnip>

I am guessing Disney got the whole incident on video--although it was dark, so who knows how much the cameras showed.

Thing is the beach had a big "no swimming" sign but NO sign mentioning alligators. They get tourists from all over the world, many of whom have NO CLUE about the likelihood of encountering an alligator in Florida, much less in Disney World.

They really should have posted an alligator warning especially since the lagoon was full of them. IMO.

I'm undecided about whether there was any negligence on Disney's part in not having signs warning specifically of alligators. I'm not going to argue that point either way -- because I'm undecided.

But regardless, my original statement is still valid: There is no reason that a single freak incident should mean that people henceforth associate Disney with alligator attacks.

Me, I'm more concerned about coyotes. They attack in packs. They sometimes carry rabies. When we hear packs of coyotes out there at night yipping, I make sure all our dogs are inside the house. But I'm not overly concerned about coyotes either. My biggest fear for myself and my loved ones is automobile transportation. Now, that's downright scary.

OT. Actually, Coyotes rarely hunt in packs.
http://www.coyotesmarts.org/coyotes101/

Coyotes normally hunt alone or in pairs and rarely as a pack, unless the prey is a deer or other large animal.

Press Conference right now.

"We are still looking for the child"

"Disney is doing everything they can to make the family comfortable."

"It is a complicated operation. It is a manmade body of water, it is a sizable body of water"

Divers out right now, they may go back in. Using sonar now.

FWC: "No real update right now" Many boats, manpower, alligator trackers

"Disney has operated here for 45 years, never had this thing happen before."
Disney has a wildlife management system in place, who try to limit guest exposure to wildlife.

They know that it happened, and that it is a recovery effort.

Don't the divers worry about swimming with alligators? I'm a diver, and you wouldn't catch me in an area with alligators.

We've got both around our property and they're both pretty scary. I've seen gators grab ducks with barely a ripple in the water. Snakes are pretty bad also (water moccasins). DH and I are deeply saddened. DH was devastated when he heard the news around 0300 when I finally woke him up.

Oh boy, water moccasins. Those things scare the livin' daylights out of me. Get one of those things mad, and they'll hunt you down, follow you home, set your house on fire, steal your credit cards, and cut your car's brake lines. My dog got bit by one not long ago. My neighbor's dog got killed by a nest of 'em a few years ago.

<modsnip>

I am guessing Disney got the whole incident on video--although it was dark, so who knows how much the cameras showed.

They digest bones and hair (or at last pass hair) so clothing likely wouldn't be a problem. Something like tennis shoes might be a problem if they caused an intestinal blockage, probably depends on the size.

Alligators are on Florida golf courses, too. Did anyone see this 15 footer:

[video=youtube;RXn1g0xtUMk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXn1g0xtUMk[/video]
I was just about to post that I've seen them on golf courses. They are really lazy, but still scare me

They digest bones and hair (or at last pass hair) so clothing likely wouldn't be a problem. Something like tennis shoes might be a problem if they caused an intestinal blockage, probably depends on the size.
I would guess the child was barefoot if wading.

Oh boy, water moccasins. Those things scare the livin' daylights out of me. Get one of those things mad, and they'll hunt you down, follow you home, set your house on fire, steal your credit cards, and cut your car's brake lines.

My lawn man was recently telling me the same thing about water moccasins. A guy he knew ran across one near a stream and took off running up the hill only to stop, turn around and realize the snake was still chasing him.

Here timber rattlers are my big worry. Had one in the yard a couple of times recently (meaning it was spotted, unlike all the other times when they aren't). Makes me paranoid as heck when certain dogs are out, if I hear the "Look what I found!" bark go I go racing out there like a mad woman. We have coyotes too but they leave us (dogs, chickens) alone, my mastiff sees to that.

I started using a super soaker when I see the timber rattler, he/she hates it and they seem to learn quick which areas to avoid.

I think that the fact that this is the first incident in the lagoon since resort opened is of little comfort to this child's family.
I'm not saying this will hurt Disney. I'm saying I personally feel they are negligent in making beach attractive without posting the appropriate verbiage on signs. Point blank period. One child taken by an alligator in front of his horrified family is one child too many. Jmo.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member