Found Deceased FL - Lane Graves, 2, Walt Disney World, 14 June 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 12+ hours later and they have found 5 gators...None of them have any traces of the child.

Graphic Alert

I will try to state this as gently as possible and IMO - Sometimes when alligator prey can't be swallowed whole, they will stash it and wait for decomposition. I would imagine that could be why they have used divers.

As absolutely horrific as this specific incident was, I just can't see how Disney can be held liable for this (legally), even if they had ZERO signs on the beach. :( As the sheriff stated multiple times during the presser - "Gators are simply part of the landscape here in Florida". Regardless of measures taken to try to eliminate as many as they see (which they've repeatedly stated they do) there is simply no way to 100% guarantee there are no gators at Disney. I think there is possibly more disgust due to the type of animal that caused this boys death - most of us have seen (even via TV or videos) gators taking down prey and it's just terrifying to watch. Let alone when the prey is a 2 year old child. FWIW, I've only been to Disney twice, but I know there are gators that lounge at the pond at Shades of Green.

My question is this: Would people feel Disney were liable if say, a venomous snake had struck the boy and he died? Or what about even something as simple as a bee or a spider (and the child died). We can only compare different methods of death to really determine if Disney should be held responsible and just how many warning signs need posted, and where? I think the fact that the child likely passed in a situation that is a parents worst nightmare is what makes it so tragic.

I just can't even fathom how horrific the sight was - to see your child ripped from your arms and then pulled under water while you struggle to hang on. Absolutely terrifying!! Those poor parents. :(

Yet - should Disney be held liable for any and all species that make their way onto their property and behave in the manner they were intended? I'm not sure. I do know that my prayers are with this family and I truly hope they are able to (by some miracle) recover this little boy. :(

There is wildlife anywhere. The problem is making it psychologically tempting via advertising, a man-made white sandy beach and activities at feeding time. That's so irrational that I cannot even wrap my head around it. How many gators have they killed now? Do they even have a wildlife adviser for the lagoon and property? It's my opinion, but this is grossly negligent.

If people are water-skiing on the water, then (1) the water is not that nasty and (2) you would obviously assume the no swimming wasn't because the water was per se dangerous.

DH and I stayed at the Grand Floridian in March, 1991 (DD's graduation trip with her BFF). We rented a pedal-boat and "road" around the lagoon for an hour. The water was calm, and there was no wind. Never considered the lagoon was dangerous. Life jackets were included with rental.

How is that even possible? Did they carry frozen rats around in their pocket? Snakes are extremely picky eaters.

I did read about a snake (wild) that fell out of a tree and bit a kid at Disney World back in January. Non-venomous, the kid was fine, went to the nurse and the family enjoyed the rest of their day at the park. Later the family sued the park claiming it caused the grandmother to have a fatal heart attack as a result of the incident.

http://fox59.com/2016/01/29/family-...-at-disney-world-leads-to-grandmothers-death/
I have no idea! I have a huge phobia of snakes so I wouldn't be sticking around to find out if I was there! The water moccasin stories will be giving me nightmares tonight.

Yeah, I've heard a few Disney snake stories now! Kids putting their hands in bushes etc. I think it's funny they suggest that this particular snake had escaped from an exhibit! Like Orlando doesn't have enough wild ones of its own!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully that means his remains have been found.

Disney gator attack witness: It happened in 30 seconds

[...]

Everything unfolded in less than 30 seconds, he said. A minute later, the alligator was gone.

Wilson said he had seen the group walking near the water's edge and noted it was very dark at that site. They weren't standing under a light, he said.

The attack was near one of the resort pools' splash pad play area.

More at link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-disney-gator-attack-witnes-story.html

Hopefully that means his remains have been found.
I hope so too so he can be returned to his family. I'm afraid I would never leave knowing he was still there. Always praying for a miracle but will settle for a recovery. I can't imagine a more tragic situation. Praying for the little one and his family.

[video=twitter;743157407904239616]https://twitter.com/djoneswftv/status/743157407904239616[/video]

I fear water esp at night. My fear keeps me safe. I assumed everyone would know Florida water esp at night is not safe. But Disney shouldn't assume everyone knows this or will even follow the rules.

..........especially with so many non-Floridian visitors! I can tell you all about how to drive in 2 feet of snow in the winter, but I doubt someone living in Florida would have a clue. What is obvious to those who live it year round is not always obvious to outsiders.

there was an incident in 1986, non fatal. whether or not it happens often, its still a risk, the gators are there, the area is tourist heavy. yes, ppl should research their destination obviously. but a risk team should consider every risk.

This has never happened before, even though there are gators living on Disney property. Disney has obviously done a good job keeping gators away from visitors.

I totally agree. Why would WDW have bonfires and movies on the beach they made and not expect anyone to just put their feet in the water? Parents said 2 year old only went in about 1 feet of his legs. He was definitely not swimming. I have been to this beach. Have seen some adults swimming. We didn't care to but be we did wade into the water to cool ourselves off. I mean, really, it's a beach. How do you cool off with the ocean right there??

if it is dangerous to put your feet in water , it should clearly state

This is the stuff of nightmares. Poor little one, I hope he passed quickly. :crying:

CNN reporting child's body has been found.

Press conference momentarily on CNN.

Poor baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads