Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Published: March 21, 2024 at 6:40 AM
Tags: Osceola County, Kissimmeee, Crime, Missing, Madeline Soto, Madeline Soto Case

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...adeline-sotos-disappearance-death/#commentDiv
KISSIMMEE, Fla. – Kissimmee police on Thursday are scheduled to provide an update into the disappearance and death of 13-year-old Madeline Soto.
The Kissimmee Police Department said investigators have been pursuing leads and will highlight the progress of the case during a 2 p.m. news conference, which will be livestreamed at the very top of this story.
Stephan Sterns, the 37-year-old boyfriend of Madeline Soto’s mother, is the prime suspect in Soto’s death, according to law enforcement.

I see MS is wearing glasses in some pics, so I wondered if she also had contact lenses, since she doesn't wear the glasses all the time?
I don't need my glasses to see 90% of the time, they're mostly for reading or computer screens (I can still read without them but it causes eye strain). However I still will often wear them all day anyway because if I go without them for too long, my eyes hurt. That's probably the case with Maddy.

At age 12-13 I will say I know tweens will, for special occasions like a dance/dress up event, forego wearing glasses even if they don't have contacts, for the vanity factor- blindness be damned. Especially girls- I highly doubt MS had contact lenses (if mom says she is the type of kid who often forgets her phone, I feel like contact lens care wouldn't be high up on her list). At the same time, she doesn't appear to be straining/squinting in the few pictures we do have....

The pics of Maddie enjoying the outdoors with the blue tinsel streamers is so sweet... I hope she can be remembered this way.

Ask and ye shall receive…

thank you! from your link:

The press conference will be at 2 p.m. The News-Gazette will provide live coverage on at Facebook.com/osceolanewsgazette.

At age 12-13 I will say I know tweens will, for special occasions like a dance/dress up event, forego wearing glasses even if they don't have contacts, for the vanity factor- blindness be damned. Especially girls- I highly doubt MS had contact lenses (if mom says she is the type of kid who often forgets her phone, I feel like contact lens care wouldn't be high up on her list). At the same time, she doesn't appear to be straining/squinting in the few pictures we do have....

The pics of Maddie enjoying the outdoors with the blue tinsel streamers is so sweet... I hope she can be remembered this way.
The past few years, kids have been wearing oversized “reading” glasses as a fashion item. They’re mostly blue light glasses wo prescription.
Think the old, 70s and 80s grandpa aviator readers.

Very interesting about property owner stating the gate had been left open. I think my idea has more strength knowing the gate was left open.

As I recall reading here many pages back, “someone” seeming to be Maddie (but probably not) had posted on Maddie’s SM that when she turned 13 she wanted to go live in the woods. Suspect SS might have thought after that post, leaving her body in the woods near her 13th birthday would make it look like she was enacting her plan and fell victim to foul play. So perhaps this murder was partially organized and dumping her in the woods was an attempt to distance any potential connection to her family being involved.

SS probably did start down the lane and punctured his tire so had to turn around and quickly get rid of the body — in the rush didn’t think about closing the gate. Then change the tire as I speculated before.
I agree with the theory some number of pages back that he was searching for a place where “nature” might take care of disposal for him but couldn’t get deep enough into swampy gator land before he had a flat tire.

Overall, everything we’ve pieced together - throwing her belongings in the complex dumpster, factory resetting his phone after the murder, and driving into randomly open gated fields to dispose of a body - signals panic.

This was not a crime with thoughtful planning and execution. It’s curious because he’s a complete pervert monster but (as much as I am loathe to admit it) he doesn’t appear to be as stupid as his sloppiness indicates. He was calculating enough to snow the mother (maybe, we’ll see on that) and his social posts and comments are well-written with appropriate grammar and punctuation.

All these things lead me to believe that he was not planning to kill her but he either:
  1. Accidentally did something to cause her death (like choking or overdosing her) and quickly needed to hide the evidence; or
  2. Spontaneously learned that his past sexual abuse was about to be uncovered, and he killed her in a panic to obfuscate his culpability for that.
I hope we get some answers today. I know that the police need to take their time to build a bulletproof case and I do not begrudge them that, I just want to make sure that justice for Maddie comes quickly, severely, and definitively.

“The pics of Maddie enjoying the outdoors with the blue tinsel streamers is so sweet... I hope she can be remembered this way.” (BBM)

Oh, yes! That dear child — looking happy and carefree! May she rest fear-free and joyful forever in God’s loving arms!

EDIT: added photo from Court TV coverage.
IMG_0018.jpeg

Last edited:

With Fox35, a remote interview.

with WFTV, looks like in person

These are the two unedited interviews with Jenn, without commentary.

In both interviews she says... We dropped her off.

In 2nd interview, mom says about Maddie.... "Does she know our full address, I don't think she does."
What??? She's 13!

I think the only person who has said SS came over to pick up Maddie is grandma, Yolanda....
correct. JS never said SS picked Madi up for school in the interviews with press. That comes from the arrest affidavit that states "the mother advised her daughter's step-father, Stephan Sterns, picked her up from home and dropped her off at Hunter's Creek Middle School, 13400 Town Loop Blvd., Orlando, FL . . "

Possible that Maddy had something to do with that flat tire. If her death was on the way home from the party, there could have been a struggle inside/outside the car. SS would have had to stop if he was going to strangle her and maybe she opened the door to try to escape. At which time she stabbed the tire with something.

Shortly after the teenager’s disappearance, “disturbing” images and video discovered on Sterns’ phone led to 60 new charges, including sexual battery of a child, lewd and lascivious molestation, and possession of child sexual abuse material, according to Kissimmee police

He is scheduled to appear in court this spring to stand trial for the child sex crime charges. If convicted, Sterns faces the death penalty or life in prison.

*What else could they update Sterns trial case with except? What? Who?

Shortly after the teenager’s disappearance, “disturbing” images and video discovered on Sterns’ phone led to 60 new charges, including sexual battery of a child, lewd and lascivious molestation, and possession of child sexual abuse material, according to Kissimmee police

He is scheduled to appear in court this spring to stand trial for the child sex crime charges. If convicted, Sterns faces the death penalty or life in prison.

They could give more timeline and ask for more tips on specific times or general areas?

I think they will update that the church didnt have cameras, but rather the cameras were literally on every lamp post over the street. I think they will release more location information and hopefully speak to where he came from before the 7:35 garbage run and maybe where he was between 8:19 and 2 pm ( all timeline stuff)

This was not a crime with thoughtful planning and execution. It’s curious because he’s a complete pervert monster but (as much as I am loathe to admit it) he doesn’t appear to be as stupid as his sloppiness indicates. He was calculating enough to snow the mother (maybe, we’ll see on that) and his social posts and comments are well-written with appropriate grammar and punctuation.
You can be intelligent when it comes to writing well, and have a complete lack of common sense.

My take is SS also held a rather high opinion of himself, especially given how unsuccessful he was in a conventional sense. The tone he takes in many of the Reddit posts? If he treated people in this manner offline, which he probably did, just...wow.

I think both SS and JS are likely above average intelligence, but not in the ways that would be useful here. He's clearly not socially intelligent.

I also wonder if he was prescribed Adderall at any point, and began abusing them as a street drug? Or if was taking ADHD meds which were intended for MS?

You can be intelligent when it comes to writing well, and have a complete lack of common sense.

My take is SS also held a rather high opinion of himself, especially given how unsuccessful he was in a conventional sense. The tone he takes in many of the Reddit posts? If he treated people in this manner offline, which he probably did, just...wow.

I think both SS and JS are likely above average intelligence, but not in the ways that would be useful here. He's clearly not socially intelligent.

I also wonder if he was prescribed Adderall at any point, and began abusing them as a street drug? Or if was taking ADHD meds which were intended for MS?
I listened to a phone interview someone did with someone that had been his friends with him for the past three years. He was obviously shocked, and stunned to find this out, even sent SS a message after SS was arrested and said something to the effect of 'WTF! You've been around my children!!!' and he sounded very credible about their connection. He said they were gaming friends. He also said that SS once told him he takes/has Lunesta, and that it's 'powerful enough to knock someone out easily'. Which, if that was truly said....just, wow. I can't remember, but I do think he or someone else said he also takes Adderal. I would imagine it's his own prescription. IF Maddie was taking anything, it was because of the immense stress she was under and it may have been assumed to be something like ADHD, but just not sure yet. However, SS supposedly bragged about what Lunesta does. So, I think he possibly may have used that to sedate JS, and Maddie...as needed.

I would hope that if the SAO does not bring murder charges forth this week that we will get additional details on the timeline.

I also hope that if LE is dealing with an entangled mess as they gather evidence, that they appeal to the public for help and tips.

Lastly, I want to see them take questions from the press. IDR if they allowed the press to ask questions before, does anyone know?

YT is abuzz with scheduled reminders for this press conference. I can’t imagine the KPD scheduled it as a “nothing burger” just to quell public impatience.

<modsnip - "comments all over the web" aren't allowed at Websleiuths>

More questions: why no mention of bio dad on MS’s birthday? Did MS FaceTime him and the step mom at any point? Did anyone FT them during the birthday party? I can’t imagine not doing so as a parent, but we also don’t know how contentious the coparenting relationship may have been. Step Mom seems to adore MS.

My child’s father is a jerk but his family are all lovely, they reach out regularly and we FaceTime.

At 13 and given the abuse, I can imagine MS may have wanted to visit with bio dad and step mom more often. IIRC they live in Texas? That’s not a far flight. I’d be interested in knowing how often MS saw them either in FL or in TX, was she a happier kid with no sleeping “issues” with dad? Or did they persist and was it noticed? Was MS depressed and/or fearful when visitation with Dad and Stepmom ended?

Lastly, I would like to know what comms with bio Dad were like when MS went missing…what story did JS and SS give them? They’re under no obligation to speak or satisfy anyone’s curiosity, but I an wondering what they thought it JS and SS’s interviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member