GUILTY FL - Markeis McGlockton, killed following parking dispute, Clearwater, 19 July 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not seeing in the media reports whether he was charged with voluntary or involuntary manslaughter. Do they not differentiate it in the charges?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...lack-man-jury-found-him-guilty/?noredirect=on
A white Florida man cited ‘stand your ground’ for shooting a black man. A jury found him guilty.
August 24 at 2:43 PM
Late Friday night, a jury delivered the guilty verdict that Markeis McGlockton’s family never thought would come.

They had many reasons not to get their hopes up, family attorney Michele Rayner told The Washington Post. [...]

Michael Drejka convicted of manslaughter in Markeis McGlockton’s death
August 23, 2019
LARGO — A jury found Michael Drejka guilty of manslaughter late Friday in the 2018 shooting death of Markeis McGlockton in a convenience store parking lot.

The conviction came after 6½ hours of deliberations by the jury of five men and one woman.

It was read aloud at 10:41 p.m. Drejka stared straight ahead, standing beside his lawyers. He could face up to 30 years in prison.

In the front row of the gallery, McGlockton’s girlfriend, Britany Jacobs threw up her hands and clapped. A woman broke into sobs. McGlockton’s father pressed his elbows into his knees as supporters squeezed his shoulder. His mother embraced family. [...]

Michael Drejka Found Guilty Of Manslaughter In Clearwater Parking Lot Shooting

Updated 8/24 at 8 a.m.
A white Florida man who told detectives he had a "pet peeve" about illegal parking in handicapped spots was convicted late Friday of manslaughter for the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man in a dispute over a handicapped spot. [...]

After Guilty Verdict, Drejka Could Face up to 30 Years in Prison
PUBLISHED 8:18 AM EDT Aug. 24, 2019
[...]
Spectrum Bay News 9 also reached out to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, which didn't originally charge Drejka and said he was standing his ground, and received this statement: "The process set forth in law was followed throughout this case and the system worked. We respect the jury's decision and thank the jurors for their service."

Drejka's attorneys say they will appeal this decision, but in the meantime, he will remain locked up until his sentencing in October.

The 49-year-old man faces up to 30 years in prison. His attorneys say they do not think he would get that much time, however.

Kathryn Varn‏Verified account @kathrynvarn
“I said, ‘Baby, we got justice for Daddy.’”
vCrvniqL

4:52 AM - 25 Aug 2019

'We saw justice': McGlockton family reacts to guilty verdict in Drejka trial
Updated: 6:40 PM EDT August 24, 2019
CLEARWATER, Fla. — The fallout from the guilty verdict in the Michael Drejka manslaughter trial continued Saturday afternoon with reaction from the family of the man shot and killed.

Britany Jacobs, the girlfriend of Markeis McGlockton, joined others to share their thoughts about the verdict. Among them were lawyer Ben Crump and attorney Michele Rayner, who represented McGlockton's parents and family. [...]

I'm not seeing in the media reports whether he was charged with voluntary or involuntary manslaughter. Do they not differentiate it in the charges?
Confusing, for sure. It seems that FL legal experts have problems with the details of manslaughter. :confused:

FL Supreme Court, 2006:
https://www.floridasupremecourt.org/content/download/327731/2946171/06-909 Report (SJICriminalC) 5-2-06.pdf
Explanation of the Proposals
Proposal 1 7.7 Manslaughter
The manslaughter instruction has been before the committee for some years now. In 1999, the Court requested that the committee review the instruction in light of its opinion in Eversley v. State, 748 So.2d 963 (Fla. 1999), asking the committee to consider “adopting a more detailed causation instruction for use in all cases where causation is an element of the crime.”
[...]
While the committee debated the causation issue raised by Eversley, the manslaughter instruction became intertwined with the issue of manslaughter as a lesser included offense, when there is some distinction between voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. In light of current cases on this issue before the courts, the committee determined to hold off on this discussion. However, as a result of this debate, the chair appointed a subcommittee to review manslaughter as a lesser included offense in conjunction with the murder, felony murder, and attempted felony murder instructions. As a result of the subcommittee’s review of these instructions, it was revealed that not only did these lesser included offenses require updating, but the instructions themselves required revisions. This was mostly due to new laws passed by the legislature. The subcommittee reported that updating was also needed for many other instructions as well, and an ongoing project began to review the lesser included offenses for other instructions. [...]

Lawyer explanation:
Manslaughter Charges | Fort Lauderdale Criminal Lawyers
Voluntary vs. Involuntary Manslaughter
You may have been charged with manslaughter if an individual has died because of your actions. The general definition of manslaughter under Florida law differs based on which type of manslaughter you are charged with: DUI manslaughter, voluntary manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter. Voluntary manslaughter is a less serious offense than murder because it is typically committed in the "heat of passion," but this charge still involves the intentional killing of another human being. The biggest difference is that it was not premeditated.

Involuntary manslaughter involves an unintentional death that usually occurs due to negligence. Individuals may also be charged with involuntary manslaughter when they are caught committing a misdemeanor offense and their actions, during the commission of the crime, are likely to cause harm. The third type of manslaughter, DUI manslaughter, is committed while driving a vehicle and is usually the end result of DUI.

Statute reference:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
The 2019 Florida Statutes
600x3_gradient.gif

Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 782
HOMICIDE View Entire Chapter
782.07 Manslaughter; aggravated manslaughter of an elderly person or disabled adult; aggravated manslaughter of a child; aggravated manslaughter of an officer, a firefighter, an emergency medical technician, or a paramedic.—
(1) The killing of a human being by the act, procurement, or culpable negligence of another, without lawful justification according to the provisions of chapter 776 and in cases in which such killing shall not be excusable homicide or murder, according to the provisions of this chapter, is manslaughter, a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s.775.084.
[...]

Confusing, for sure. It seems that FL legal experts have problems with the details of manslaughter. :confused:

FL Supreme Court, 2006:
https://www.floridasupremecourt.org/content/download/327731/2946171/06-909 Report (SJICriminalC) 5-2-06.pdf
Explanation of the Proposals
Proposal 1 7.7 Manslaughter
The manslaughter instruction has been before the committee for some years now. In 1999, the Court requested that the committee review the instruction in light of its opinion in Eversley v. State, 748 So.2d 963 (Fla. 1999), asking the committee to consider “adopting a more detailed causation instruction for use in all cases where causation is an element of the crime.”
[...]
While the committee debated the causation issue raised by Eversley, the manslaughter instruction became intertwined with the issue of manslaughter as a lesser included offense, when there is some distinction between voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. In light of current cases on this issue before the courts, the committee determined to hold off on this discussion. However, as a result of this debate, the chair appointed a subcommittee to review manslaughter as a lesser included offense in conjunction with the murder, felony murder, and attempted felony murder instructions. As a result of the subcommittee’s review of these instructions, it was revealed that not only did these lesser included offenses require updating, but the instructions themselves required revisions. This was mostly due to new laws passed by the legislature. The subcommittee reported that updating was also needed for many other instructions as well, and an ongoing project began to review the lesser included offenses for other instructions. [...]

Lawyer explanation:
Manslaughter Charges | Fort Lauderdale Criminal Lawyers
Voluntary vs. Involuntary Manslaughter
You may have been charged with manslaughter if an individual has died because of your actions. The general definition of manslaughter under Florida law differs based on which type of manslaughter you are charged with: DUI manslaughter, voluntary manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter. Voluntary manslaughter is a less serious offense than murder because it is typically committed in the "heat of passion," but this charge still involves the intentional killing of another human being. The biggest difference is that it was not premeditated.

Involuntary manslaughter involves an unintentional death that usually occurs due to negligence. Individuals may also be charged with involuntary manslaughter when they are caught committing a misdemeanor offense and their actions, during the commission of the crime, are likely to cause harm. The third type of manslaughter, DUI manslaughter, is committed while driving a vehicle and is usually the end result of DUI.

Statute reference:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
The 2019 Florida Statutes
600x3_gradient.gif

Title XLVI
CRIMES Chapter 782
HOMICIDE View Entire Chapter
782.07 Manslaughter; aggravated manslaughter of an elderly person or disabled adult; aggravated manslaughter of a child; aggravated manslaughter of an officer, a firefighter, an emergency medical technician, or a paramedic.—
(1) The killing of a human being by the act, procurement, or culpable negligence of another, without lawful justification according to the provisions of chapter 776 and in cases in which such killing shall not be excusable homicide or murder, according to the provisions of this chapter, is manslaughter, a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s.775.084.
[...]

Thanks, as that is pretty much what I have found too. The maximum, unless weapon is involved, is 15 years. I am following another case here ( Found Deceased - FL - Savannah Gold, 21, Jacksonville, 2 Aug 2017 *Arrest* ) very closely that is still pre-trial, so I was wondering if there was a difference. The defendant in that case is also appealing to the first District Court concerning stand your ground defense. It will be very interesting because that court has everything online, including live stream and all the submissions for the Appeals. I'm wanting to learn about stand your ground Etc in Florida, so I'm going to follow it very closely.

At least they have the differentiation of second-degree murder and manslaughter so that juries can make a better conviction rate, as manslaughter includes passion and impulse.

So glad that they worked through the night to get to such a late verdict. I'm so glad the court stayed open, and they had pizza delivered so that they could continue deliberations. What a way for the pizza place to get free publicity in a mainstream media article, (Trial in the Clearwater parking lot shooting: Day 5, Michael Drejka guilty )

"KATHRYN (9:16 p.m.)Dinner just arrived for jurors. It’s from Joto’s, a pizzeria."

I must look it up next time I visit.

Last edited:
I am very relieved at the guilty verdict as I think the case has societal implications that go beyond the trial. Allowing some citizens to misuse self defense rights and act as 'regulators' over other citizens is a long term stability issue.

The 49-year-old man faces up to 30 years in prison. His attorneys say they do not think he would get that much time, however.

I think his attorneys misread the mood of the jury and are also under estimating the opposition of judges to non LEOs acting as "regulators".

A Texas regulator was recently sentenced by a judge to to 25 years following a similar confrontation that resulted in a death. The regulator in this case was not actively trawling for confrontations, but did choose to initiate a confrontation that escalated.

Factor in the cultural similarities between Florida and Texas and the fact that MD was actively trawling for confrontations and I think he is going to receive a lengthy sentence.

Last edited:
I just returned home from the courthouse - - watched jurors during closing arguments and jury instructions. I didn't get any sense of how they'll vote.
I did meet Chanley Painter from Court TV!

Chanley Shá Painter‏ @ChanleyCourtTV 29m29 minutes ago
DELIBERATIONS BEGIN NOW! #MarkeisMcGlockton #MichaelDrejka #CourtTV #FLvDREJKA

Kathryn Varn‏Verified account @kathrynvarn 29m29 minutes ago
The jury has left the courtroom for deliberations. #MichaelDrejka verdict watch has begun.

What did you think of Chanley Painter? She seems very sweet and knowledgeable about what is going on in the courtroom. I noticed her and Ted Rowlands sitting together in the courtroom during the Verdict. Chanley on Court TV always described the jurors as stoic.

I am very relieved at the guilty verdict as I think the case has societal implications that go beyond the trial. Allowing some citizens to misuse self defense rights and act as 'regulators' over other citizens is a long term stability issue.

I think his attorneys misread the mood of the jury and are also under estimating the opposition of judges to non LEOs acting as "regulators".

A Texas regulator was recently sentenced by a judge to to 25 years following a similar confrontation that resulted in a death. The regulator in this case was not actively trawling for confrontations, but did choose to initiate a confrontation that escalated.

Factor in the cultural similarities between Florida and Texas and the fact that MD was actively trawling for confrontations and I think he is going to receive a lengthy sentence.
Judge is suppose to adhere to sentencing guidelines.
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/scoresheet/cpc_manual.pdf

25 years in TX case? There is this TX case I posted as reference a few weeks ago. . . sentence is 20 years:

Man gets 20 years for handicap parking space killing
Author: The Associated Press
Updated: 9:15 PM EDT August 1, 2019

HOUSTON — Prosecutors say a 71-year-old Texas man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for killing another man in a dispute over a handicap parking space.

[...]
The case has echoes of a 2018 Clearwater shooting that left one man dead after a dispute over a disabled parking spot outside a convenience store.

Man sentenced to 20 years in prison for shooting Houston attorney over handicapped parking spot
Published: 10:37 AM CDT August 1, 2019
HOUSTON — A 71-year-old man who fatally shot a Houston attorney over a handicapped parking space has been sentenced to 20 years in prison, the Harris County District Attorney’s Office announced Thursday.

William Anthony Hall was sentenced Wednesday after being convicted of murdering 67-year-old James Garza on May 31, 2017.

That evening, Garza went to a post office in the 4000 block of Broadway to pick up his mail. He parked in a handicapped parking space but did not have a handicapped sticker.

Hall, who was licensed to carry, confronted him about parking in the handicapped spot. The two got into an argument and that’s when Hall shot Garza once in the chest.
[...]

LARGO — A jury found Michael Drejka guilty of manslaughter late Friday in the 2018 shooting death of Markeis McGlockton in a convenience store parking lot.

The conviction came after 6½ hours of deliberations by the jury of five men and one woman.

It was read aloud at 10:41 p.m. Drejka stared straight ahead, standing beside his lawyers. He could face up to 30 years in prison.

In the front row of the gallery, McGlockton’s girlfriend, Britany Jacobs threw up her hands and clapped. A woman broke into sobs. McGlockton’s father pressed his elbows into his knees as supporters squeezed his shoulder. His mother embraced family.

Michael Drejka convicted of manslaughter in Markeis McGlockton’s death

What did you think of Chanley Painter? She seems very sweet and knowledgeable about what is going on in the courtroom. I noticed her and Ted Rowlands sitting together in the courtroom during the Verdict. Chanley on Court TV always described the jurors as stoic.
Yes, jurors were stoic when I observed them.
Chanley is lovely. I sat behind her for several hours; met in the restroom (just the two of us) and then chatted briefly while riding the escalator. We talked about the stoic jurors. It's amazing how she keeps track of so many details, so I got to watch her in action. She is very astute in utilizing her laptop. Over her shoulder, I could view video on her laptop. When the attorneys were not facing us, I looked at her laptop (peeking) :rolleyes: . . . because she had various video angles from the cameras.

Here is an image snip, from the trial video, showing me and her:

Law & Crime Network -
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoW1SIeAWaWYnMOmSluG0tf6VnofkVNSE
upload_2019-8-23_19-17-8-png.199862

That little snip didn't show up. Just tell me what day and which witness was up and I will look.

Your description of Chanley is exactly what I would think. I notice she pays attention to everything that is going on.
I attended trial Friday afternoon 8/23 during Defense Closing and Prosecution Rebuttal Closing:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoW1SIeAWaWYnMOmSluG0tf6VnofkVNSE

1:25:09NOW PLAYING
Michael Drejka Trial Defense Closing Argument
Law & Crime Network

37:23NOW PLAYING
Michael Drejka Trial Prosecution Rebuttal Closing Argument
Law & Crime Network

Egads. Even as someone with a disability I can't see myself getting that worked up about a disabled parking spot -- and I've rarely if ever noticed incidents of abled-bodied persons abusing them, likely because I'm not obsessively focused on it as he seems to have been. This guy strikes me as someone who was primarily looking to shoot someone and secondarily championing disability rights (if at all). A pretty flimsy pretext for deadly aggression, IMO.
From watching the video, I thought he pulled onto the store’s property weirdly. It looked like a last minute turn and looked very wide to me. I wonder if he noticed the car in the h/c spot and decided to check on it. IMO he didn’t pull in, park and then notice.
After watching some of the trial I will be surprised if he’s convicted.

Not one single witness said that MD made any threats to anyone. You have BJ telling MD that her man was going to F him up. Then MM violently pushing MD to the ground. MM never said a word. He didn’t try to find out what was going on, he just attacked. MD believed that MM was going to finish what he started. I can see that, because had it not been for the firearm, I think MM would have continued. IMO MM only backs away when the firearm is brandished, by that time the wheels are in motion and it’s too late.

You never know what a jury will decide but hopefully the law will be applied in this case.
I’m wondering how loud MD was. The vid shows others pulling up and while walking into the store, they are looking. So he must have been loud enough for them to hear. I wonder if something was said inside the store about a confrontation in the parking lot. MM stuck his head out to check and went over when he saw if was his GF & kids.
I'm shocked at how fast this trial is progressing.
After the slow and plodding shitshow that was the Arias trials, everything seems really fast to me. Every trial since then, I’m all like “That’s it? No witnesses for days? No 8 million sidebars?”
I believe it could go either way also so much depends on the jury. If we only knew what Markeis thought it could make a difference but we will never know.

I think Drejka was trigger happy and was waiting for his moment. Drejka should have just called the police instead of being the parking lot vigilante. jmo imo moo
See response to first quote. I think he pulled in there hoping for a confrontation, although maybe not to shoot someone.
~~~
Did MD ever try to say he was hurt during the push? He seems to get up pretty quickly after the shooting.
I think the jury got it right and am interested in what penalty he will get.

From watching the video, I thought he pulled onto the store’s property weirdly. It looked like a last minute turn and looked very wide to me. I wonder if he noticed the car in the h/c spot and decided to check on it. IMO he didn’t pull in, park and then notice.

I’m wondering how loud MD was. The vid shows others pulling up and while walking into the store, they are looking. So he must have been loud enough for them to hear. I wonder if something was said inside the store about a confrontation in the parking lot. MM stuck his head out to check and went over when he saw if was his GF & kids.

After the slow and plodding shitshow that was the Arias trials, everything seems really fast to me. Every trial since then, I’m all like “That’s it? No witnesses for days? No 8 million sidebars?”

See response to first quote. I think he pulled in there hoping for a confrontation, although maybe not to shoot someone.
~~~
Did MD ever try to say he was hurt during the push? He seems to get up pretty quickly after the shooting.
I think the jury got it right and am interested in what penalty he will get.
The male witness who pulled I to the parking lot while MD was at the car window, testified that he said something to the store clerk about a situation in the parking lot. Markeis was standing at the checkout at this time.

I agree this went very quickly! Two week trial expected and it really was only two days.

MD had a scrape on the hip area from being shoved to the ground. The defense lawyer stressed that the shove and fall onto the concrete ripped a hole in his clothes and he had a scrape on his skin there.

Jury foreman in Drejka trial recounts guilty verdict, says decision came down to security video (with clip)

Aug 26, 2019

"...Jury foreman Timothy Kleinman says he's one of the reasons deliberations lasted so long, saying in the end it came down to the security video of the shooting.

"I wanted to make sure beyond a reasonable doubt that the use of deadly force was unjustified," Kleinman said on Sunday.

Kleinman says he was initially learning toward a not guilty vote.

"Personally, I do feel that Markeis Mcglockton unnecessarily provoked Mr. Drejka by pushing him. I don't think that was necessary," he said. "At the same time, using the gun wasn't needed."

Kleinman says he shifted his position to guilty after re-watching security video of the incident and getting a better understanding of the law.

"He had time to think, 'Do I really need to kill this man?'" Kleinman said. "No he didn't, but he chose to."

“I think simply drawing the gun would have been enough. At that point Mr. Drejka had the upper hand," he added.

Kleinman, who calls the entire incident "sad and tragic," says he's confident they made the right decision.

“I hate for anyone to have to go to prison. That’s a nightmare of mine. But, at the end of the day, I was not the one that drew the gun. I did not make the decision to kill Markeis McGlockton,” Kleinman said.

Drejka is scheduled to be sentenced in October. His lawyers say they're plan to file a motion for a new trial."

Jury foreman in Drejka trial recounts guilty verdict, says decision came down to security video

25 years in TX case? There is this TX case I posted as reference a few weeks ago. . . sentence is 20 years:
Your reference is valid, but this is the Texas case that I was referring to:
Texas Man Sentenced to 25 Years for Killing Man in Chokehold Case

It involved a man confronting another intoxicated individual about urinating in public. In this case, the regulator got twenty five years despite no evidence that he was actively seeking out confrontations via "patrolling".

I think "impulsive regulation" verse "patrolling as a regulator" is going to be key in the sentence.

In your example and mine, the perpetrators made an impulsive decision to act as regulators (or at least no prior examples of confrontations were presented as evidence).

In contrast, MD did not attempt to "regulate" on impulse. Rather, evidence was presented showing that he was actively "patrolling" and thus actively seeking out confrontations. This is could well impact the sentencing guidelines.

Last edited:
In contrast, MD did not attempt to "regulate" on impulse. Rather, evidence was presented showing that he was actively "patrolling" and thus actively seeking out confrontations. This is could well impact the sentencing guidelines.

Lets hope it does impact MD sentencing. I hope he is given the maximum allowed. I am afraid if he is let out of prison on a short sentence he will continue to monitor parking lots. I think the judge will consider the fact he might be a threat to society. imo

Lets hope it does impact MD sentencing. I hope he is given the maximum allowed. I am afraid if he is let out of prison on a short sentence he will continue to monitor parking lots. I think the judge will consider the fact he might be a threat to society. imo
I agree that a maximum, or near maximum sentence is warranted. Not only must MD receive a suitable punishment, but the case needs to serve as a deterrence to other would be "regulators".

In the end, allowing some citizens to mis-represent valid self defense rights as the ability to act as regulators over other citizens is a very slippery slope for society.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back