FL - Markeis McGlockton shot and killed in front of family, Clearwater, July 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having lived in Florida for ten years now, I have witnessed near events of this nature, and find it sad that some people do not know how to react to crazies, whether they are local or just flew in from up north.

Markeis would have been better off getting into the car with his wife and child to see if they were OK, and leaving. Of course, he made the mistake of parking in a handicapped parking spot but that is another story, and something I really do not recommend able bodied people doing.

Perhaps Markeis' biggest mistake was choosing to act on provocation, instead of just getting himself and his family safely out of there. Had he done this he might still be alive.

MOO

Thankful for the right to have a gun to protect myself. How many victims do we see on this very site? How many that would have survived, had they had the means to kill whoever was trying to or as in many cases, did kill them? This man didn't become another victim. Had he not had a gun to defend himself, he may have ended up dead himself.
So if Markeis had had a gun on him and shot first he would be the hero of the story?

Having lived in Florida for ten years now, I have witnessed near events of this nature, and find it sad that some people do not know how to react to crazies, whether they are local or just flew in from up north.

Markeis would have been better off getting into the car with his wife and child to see if they were OK, and leaving. Of course, he made the mistake of parking in a handicapped parking spot but that is another story, and something I really do not recommend able bodied people doing.

Perhaps Markeis' biggest mistake was choosing to act on provocation, instead of just getting himself and his family safely out of there. Had he done this he might still be alive.

MOO
This is called blaming the victim.

MOO
I’m not sure what you meant by “local or just flew in from up north”. Is there a manual on how to react to what you call “crazies”?

People have disagreements and shove each other everyday. Its not nice, but its not a reason to murder a man backing away from you.

Maybe it's time to rethink slamming someone to the ground over a disagreement because you never know if they are concealed carriers. In this case, I think the law will be on the side of MD.

I support being able to defend myself against violence. I don't think I should have to get up and run or fight if someone attacks me.

Thankful for the right to have a gun to protect myself. How many victims do we see on this very site? How many that would have survived, had they had the means to kill whoever was trying to or as in many cases, did kill them? This man didn't become another victim. Had he not had a gun to defend himself, he may have ended up dead himself.
How many deaths would we have if everyone could kill a person for a shove.

Last edited:
How many deaths would we have if everyone could kill a person for a shove.
Why should people be forced to submit to being slammed to the ground? Why shouldn't we be able to stop an attacker from killing us? How long was he supposed to wait before defending himself? After a few kicks? Perhaps a few broken bones? Perhaps people shouldn't be slamming other people into the concrete if they don't want their victim to defend himself.

Remember he

People have disagreements and shove each other everyday. Its not nice, but its not a reason to murder a man backing away from you.
Re: People have disagreements and shove each other everyday.
^^ Not the people I know. Disagreements - yes, every day. Shove - no, not every day. Not in my community (Clearwater!).
I'm trying to recall the last time I saw a person shove another person. It's so rare that I don't recall an incident.
AND. . . this isn't about a mere 'shove'. McGlockton slammed Drejka violently.

According to the sheriff, it wasn't a 'shove'; it was a violent slam to the ground:

WATCH: Pinellas County Sheriff says no charges for 'Stand Your Ground' shooter
Let the video pretty much speak for itself but I’ll characterize it this way: McGlockton approached Drejka. He didn’t waste any time getting to him, and then he pushed him. But it isn’t just a push, he really slammed him to the ground is what it is. And he pushed him with great force. I mean this is a violent push, this isn’t just a push or a shove, this is violent and he slammed him to the ground.
[...]
And what he claims—and you can tell—it’s a violent push to the ground. This isn’t just a shove. He slammed him to the ground.
[...]
Markeis shouldn’t have gone up and slammed him to the ground either. He should’ve said ‘look, knock it off’. You know?
Markeis engaged in unlawful conduct himself. Markeis should not have gone up and slammed this guy to the ground. Markeis wouldn’t be dead if Markeis didn’t slam this guy to the ground. So Markeis has got skin in this game, too. And the reason why it makes it justified, and within the framework of ‘Stand Your Ground’, is because of what Markeis did.

Last edited:
Probably try to crawl away and hope his attacker would have mercy. I don't see any mercy coming from that corner so it's a good thing D had a CCW. Otherwise, he would be the statistic instead of his attacker.
It was a shove. And it wouldn't have happened if the shooter hadn't confronted anyone over a parking spot.Every customer looked in the direction of the altercation before any shots were fired.
This indicates it wasn't a civil conversation. This is why Markeis came out and shoved the shooter to protect his family.

Remember he

That is called a violent assault and people don't have to allow themselves to be assaulted in America. Here is a novel idea, everyone should keep their hands off other people. There wouldn't be a need for self defense then.

Maybe it's time to rethink slamming someone to the ground over a disagreement because you never know if they are concealed carriers. In this case, I think the law will be on the side of MD.

I support being able to defend myself against violence. I don't think I should have to get up and run or fight if someone attacks me.
but thats wrong. Markeis was retreating. He took 2 steps back before the gun was ever pulled. He got shot in the left side as he was turning to walk away. He was OBVIOUSLY not a threat any longer.

Drejka was acting like a lunatic who acted like many many of the mass shooters in the last couple years, looked like it too. If I was MM, I'd be afraid of a man accosting my childs mother.

It was a shove. And it wouldn't have happened if the shooter hadn't confronted anyone over a parking spot.Every customer looked in the direction of the altercation before any shots were fired.
This indicates it wasn't a civil conversation. This is why Markeis came out and shoved the shooter to protect his family.
The woman started screaming at the man for daring to point out her insensitivity in using the handicapped spot. That shove sent that poor man flying and that is illegal. Who knows what the attacker would have done next if D had not been armed. People need to stop relying on violence when they don't like what they're being told.

That is called a violent assault and people don't have to allow themselves to be assaulted in America. Here is a novel idea, everyone should keep their hands off other people. There wouldn't be a need for self defense then.

How about not harassing women and children? Did it help him feel masculine to harass and verbally attack a woman and her child. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
but thats wrong. Markeis was retreating. He took 2 steps back before the gun was ever pulled. He got shot in the left side as he was turning to walk away. He was OBVIOUSLY not a threat any longer.

Drejka was acting like a lunatic who acted like many many of the mass shooters in the last couple years, looked like it too. If I was MM, I'd be afraid of a man accosting my childs mother.
Except he wasn't turning away until after he was shot. That's obvious in the video.

Why should people be forced to submit to being slammed to the ground? Why shouldn't we be able to stop an attacker from killing us? How long was he supposed to wait before defending himself? After a few kicks? Perhaps a few broken bones? Perhaps people shouldn't be slamming other people into the concrete if they don't want their victim to defend himself.
The cure for that is not confronting anyone over parking.He could have went inside to tell a store manager or he could have called LE.
And there was no indication that Markeis would have killed anyone.IMO

It wasn't a 'shove'. It was a violent slam to the ground.

The woman started screaming at the man for daring to point out her insensitivity in using the handicapped spot. That shove sent that poor man flying and that is illegal. Who knows what the attacker would have done next if D had not been armed. People need to stop relying on violence when they don't like what they're being told.
I didn't read the whole thread.Do we have links to indicate who was yelling?
From the video the gestures seem to indicate the shooter was angry.IMO
Does it even matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members