FL - Nubia Barahona, 10, slain, twin injured, West Palm Beach, 11 Feb 2011 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thankx belimom - that poor little girl. I don't understand though. Unless the other children were told about her condition how would they know?

Once again Miami DCF is under fire. As they should be. It truly is a cesspool in Miami. Don't get me wrong - there are very nice places and neighborhoods, but those are far and few between. It is NOT a safe place to raise children - not anymore.

Thank you for all the updates. I had been quietly following this one - originally thinking the father was trying to do a murder/suicide by mixing chemicals. Now I don't think he had ever planned suicide, just more murder. What kind of an animal can douse a child in some sort of acid and refuse to tell doctors or LEO what he used?

This has death penalty all over it. I'm not buying a word these two are saying. The truth came out in court - I don't understand why Carmen is still walking free!?!

ETA - With parents like these, no place is safe for children!

A's parents appear to have divorced. That alone, I presume, can lead to child being in counseling.

True, but most kids of divorced parents don't have grandparents like A did.

Would children that young have physical education where they would have to change?
No. I was surprised to see the public school that the others attended. I don't go to Miami much at all - and have been in very few public schools there - but that particular elementary school I have been in. I was there about 20 years ago for an open house / parent night. It was a nice little school in a pretty decent area.

I don't understand why Carmen is still free either. Hopefully it won't be long. There wasn't much new on the 11 o'clock reports - they have an arson in Miami Beach and tonight was his FOURTH fire in as many nights - he's burning down big vacant buildings - so that kinda topped the newscasts.

I don't buy the suicide story either. If this is his current mug shot, he does not appear to have many injuries to his face.
While the boy is in the hospital fighting for his life.
Clearly the child is severely injured, while the man-not so much. If it were to be suicide, and he was going to burn himself and the boy, why use acid like substance (as reported) and not gasoline?
On the other hand, an acid like substance would be a good thing to use if one was trying to dissolve the body and not leave evidence. I am guessing he under-estimated the effect toxic fumes from the acid like substance would have on him.
JMO.

After nearly four full days, a truck at the center of an investigation into the death of a 10-year-old girl has been moved from the side of Interstate 95.

Barahona has been charged with aggravated child abuse in the case. He is expected to go before a judge Thursday morning.

http://www.wpbf.com/r/26897389/detail.html

Just a couple things.. My friend had twins with similair issue. it took multiple corrective surgeries to fix. They started at 6 months and were done by about 6 or 7 but at the older ages, it was more fixing the internal workings externally things looked pretty (normal).

There is no changing clothes for gym in elementary. The only way other kids would have known is if someone told them, plus even seeing her nude. things would have looked pretty normal.. so yeah... that doesn't make much sense...
Ummm along with the obvious physical differences in my friends twins, they also had some hormone and chromosomal issues.... I wonder if N. had some male characteristics that were causing the teasing...

What I think the truth is?

It's a load of crappola and she was never teased, they pulled her and her brother out of school to just abuse them more privately!!!
I hope all the children get counseling... the granddaughter too!
I hope people tell her how proud they are of her for tellling her secrets and that her grandma and grandpa are very sick people!!!

Judge: Welfare workers had warning signs before twins were found in truck on I-95

An angry judge grilled child welfare workers over why they missed opportunities to intervene just days before authorities found a 10-year-old boy doused with chemicals and his twin sister's decomposing body in their father's truck along a Florida highway.

A state worker first found the boy in the front seat of an exterminator's red pickup alongside the busy interstate, convulsing from seizures, dripping in chemicals so toxic they sickened rescue workers. Nearby, the boy's father lay on the ground, unresponsive and doused in gasoline in what he later told police was a futile attempt to kill himself.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...kers-made-before-twins-found-in-truck-on-i-95

UPDATED: Father accused of abusing 10-year old son will NOT appear in court
February 16, 2011 10:02 AM

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Investigators say 53-year old Jorge Barahona will not face a Palm Beach County judge this morning. That is because jail officials tell CBS 12 News he tried to harm himself before his court hearing this morning.

http://www.cbs12.com/news/palm-4731063-beach-girl.html

Oh great. Wonder what they caught him "trying to do"? Oh, and I did read last night that Carmen is likely to be charged and arrested soon.

Noon newscast:

Barahona allegedly REFUSED to go to court this morning and while refusing tried to harm himself (reporter did not say how). He's been taken to a hospital for observation. Bond is one million and he is ordered held.

DCF just held a press conference. The Southern Regional Director is here (shows how bad they are doing damage control) - she was asked about the "weekend off" deal. She said that "they worked 24 hours / 7 days and just because this particular social worker wasn't working Sat. or Sun. that a different "PI" (protective investigator) continued over the weekend with the case and made contact with the family on Sunday".

I call FOUL - IF there was a second social worker that was at the house on Sunday - WHY WASN'T THAT SOCIAL WORKER IN COURT YESTERDAY? Nope, ain't fittin'. Nobody followed up on this - just like the sw said "I don't work weekends" :furious:

Update on V's condition. He's still in intensive care but is conscious. I hope they have some good therapists there and he's telling all.

This was from www.wsvn.com - but their live noon broadcast. Probably will post the report by 1.

Nubia also suffered from a medical condition where her genitals looked like a boy's. She had corrective surgery in July, Lambert said.

Barahona told officers he put his dead daughter in the truck and began driving with his son, intending to commit suicide. He was distraught, gave his son a handful of sleeping pills and, with the boy's head in his lap, poured gasoline on himself, according to police documents.
He told police he intended to light himself on fire but said he could not do it because the boy was in the truck, according to the documents.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41643521/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Noon newscast:

Barahona allegedly REFUSED to go to court this morning and while refusing tried to harm himself (reporter did not say how). He's been taken to a hospital for observation. Bond is one million and he is ordered held.

DCF just held a press conference. The Southern Regional Director is here (shows how bad they are doing damage control) - she was asked about the "weekend off" deal. She said that "they worked 24 hours / 7 days and just because this particular social worker wasn't working Sat. or Sun. that a different "PI" (protective investigator) continued over the weekend with the case and made contact with the family on Sunday".

I call FOUL - IF there was a second social worker that was at the house on Sunday - WHY WASN'T THAT SOCIAL WORKER IN COURT YESTERDAY? Nope, ain't fittin'. Nobody followed up on this - just like the sw said "I don't work weekends" :furious:

Update on V's condition. He's still in intensive care but is conscious. I hope they have some good therapists there and he's telling all.

This was from www.wsvn.com - but their live noon broadcast. Probably will post the report by 1.

My PERSONAL opinion only

Oh I can Tell You...:banghead: To get one of these Secondary "PI" to come in on any hours that are not 9-5/M-F......:banghead:

They don't!!!! I have had cases Emergency cases that took them 8 hours to just answer my phone call... I had to take it in to my own hands and have LE help me...

Jorge Barahona, who is charged with child abuse, tried to harm himself
Bond set at 1 million dollars

Posted: 9:25 AM
Last Updated: 1 hour and 15 minutes ago

By: Mike Trim
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - A man at the center of a strange aggravated child abuse investigation has been ordered held on one million dollars bond.

Jorge Barahona, from Miami, refused to make his first court appearance Thursday morning at the Palm Beach County Criminal Justice Complex.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said Barahona tried to injure himself while in custody. A spokesperson said he "attempted to harm himself by thrusting himself backwards causing an injury to his head."

He was checked and it was determined Barahona was not seriously hurt and able to appear in court, but the sheriff's office says he refused.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region...arged-with-child-abuse,-tried-to-harm-himself

Oh please. "Thrust himself backward hitting his head"! Really? GMAB Then he refuses to go to court. Not only is this guy a coward, he's a very immature spoiled brat at 53 years old!!!

I say - BUCK UP dude - you will face justice - like it or not. :furious: :furious:

No word on Carmen - yet.

My opinion only:

He may just want to be separated from general population.
If he fakes being suicidal he will be put in medical and segregated.
Perhaps he is afraid the other nice inmates will not look so fondly at a person who pours chemicals on children. :)

My opinion only:

He may just want to be separated from general population.
If he fakes being suicidal he will be put in medical and segregated.
Perhaps he is afraid the other nice inmates will not look so fondly at a person who pours chemicals on children. :)
I say put a football helmet on this dude and "thrust" him into general pop. OH, and don't forget the straight jacket.

But you're probably right. He knows if he keeps threatening he'll be hospitalized. That will only last so long. I'm confident there will be justice for Nubia and V.

One thing I have learned here - I will never call CPS and expect a response to suspected abuse. If a child appears to be in danger, if a child is being treated in a way that that will cause harm - I'll call 911 or the non emergency line and make a report.

We know LE will make contact, we know LE will demand to see the child - while they may not make the on the spot decision I would like to see, they will at least do a wellness check and that is something CPS just won't or can't seem to get right.

Maybe Children's Services needs to be trained by the ASPCA. Step in first, ask questions later and the "owner" of the pet will have to make the recommended improvements before ever getting their pet back. How sad that we as a society demand more from pet owners than we do parents - I understand Constitutional Rights and all that - but the parents "rights" are currently allowing children to be horribly abused and killed - so at some point we need to decide if the system is not working, what are we going to do to fix it? Something must be done, these are not isolated cases - it seems to be worse every day and there are many more that we never hear about.

Noon newscast:

BINGO !!! I'm glad you thought of that. If there had been another social worker on the case, he/she would have been in court. They're in CYA mode.

One thing I have learned here - I will never call CPS and expect a response to suspected abuse. If a child appears to be in danger, if a child is being treated in a way that that will cause harm - I'll call 911 or the non emergency line and make a report.

We know LE will make contact, we know LE will demand to see the child - while they may not make the on the spot decision I would like to see, they will at least do a wellness check and that is something CPS just won't or can't seem to get right.

Maybe Children's Services needs to be trained by the ASPCA. Step in first, ask questions later and the "owner" of the pet will have to make the recommended improvements before ever getting their pet back. How sad that we as a society demand more from pet owners than we do parents - I understand Constitutional Rights and all that - but the parents "rights" are currently allowing children to be horribly abused and killed - so at some point we need to decide if the system is not working, what are we going to do to fix it? Something must be done, these are not isolated cases - it seems to be worse every day and there are many more that we never hear about.

Honestly, if a CPS worker showed up on my doorstep I wouldn't let them in. CPS has proven themselves untrustworthy time and again. They take kids for things like a messy house or a sink full of dirty dishes while leaving children duck taped in bathrooms. These allegations were criminal and LE should have been brought in. I think LE should be brought in for all cases in which children are removed.

Snipped

Victor, who was transferred Wednesday morning to a specialized burn unit at Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital, has not been able to talk to investigators because he is on a breathing tube, she said.

Olsen said police would decide how to charge Barahona further once the autopsy on his daughter determines her cause of death.

Asked whether Barahona has expressed remorse, she said, "He feels remorse, but we're not getting consistent statements with what we're seeing in our evidence." She added, "It's a complex case."

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/02/16/florida.body.bag/index.html?hpt=T2

I hope this little guy pulls through.

IMO - Another POC alleged parent who is remorseful - not for the abuse, no just sorry they were caught.

DCF expects charges against mother in toxic truck case; father attempts suicide in jail
February 17, 2011 1:01 PM

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The state Department of Children and Families says it expects charges to be filed against the mother of twins involved in a grisly highway attack.

Jacqui Colyer, a regional director for the agency, said Thursday that Carmen Barahona is likely to face charges related to an alleged cover-up for her husband, Jorge Barahona

http://www.cbs12.com/articles/dcf-4731086-palm-expects.html#ixzz1EFJL2cVF

Told ya'll - they are gonna get her too. Soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89
Back