FL - Nubia Barahona, 10, slain, twin injured, West Palm Beach, 11 Feb 2011 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hearing scheduled Wednesday on custody of Jorge Barahona's adoptive children

MIAMI DADE COUNTY, Fla - The Department of Children and Families is releasing some new details tonight saying the ten-year-old who remains in the hospital had a twin.

D.C.F. says there will be a hearing tomorrow afternoon to decide if Jorge and Carmen Barahona's other two adoptive children will remain with relatives or be placed in D.C.F. custody.

Neighbors in the southwest Miami-Dade neighborhood are still stunned at the mystery unfolding and say the family kept to themselves.

Outside the home of the Barahona's home police tape and a Miami-Dade cruiser sits in the driveway.

"I seen the guy twice and kids like three times."

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region...custody-of-jorge-barahona's-adoptive-children

Barahona Neighbors Startled After Body Found In Truck

CBS4&#8242;s Peter D’Oench caught up with one of the Barahona’s closest friends in their neighborhood who is a next-door neighbor who did not want to be identified or have their face shown. The neighbor said they wanted to speak out about the friends who they have known ever since they moved into the home next door.

“They’re very nice and quiet,” the neighbor said. “They seemed very normal. They were all playing outside together when I saw them. They were very, very normal.”

“I’m really shocked,” the neighbor continued. “I just can’t believe it. This is a nightmare.”

When asked if they had seen any problems before, the neighbor replied “Never, I mean never. He always liked to talk and say ‘Hi, how are you?’”

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/02/15/barahona-neighbors-started-after-body-found-in-truck/

Medical examiner has taken body covered in 'chemicals'

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Stranded in an old red pickup by the side of the road, the 10-year-old boy was dripping in acid, badly burned and writhing with seizures.

There was so much of it on Monday morning that it soaked the seats and carpet of the truck, filling the air with poisonous fumes.

Beside him slumped his adoptive father, unconscious and unable, for the moment, to explain what he was doing with the injured boy on the shoulder of northbound Interstate 95 - or to account for the grisly contents of the truck's covered trailer bed.

Hours after father and son were taken to separate hospitals, the circumstances seemed suspicious to state workers but fell short of sinister. And then they found it: a corpse wrapped in a plain, black garbage bag, tucked in among tubs of unlabeled chemicals.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_c_palm_beach_county/police-activity-shuts-down-i-95-lane

The last call to DCF was only four days ago.

"Both Victor and his twin, who has not been identified by police or child welfare administrators, had been the subject of a troubling call to the Department of Children & Families&#8217; abuse hotline only four days earlier. The children, a schoolteacher said, were being bound hand-and-feet with duct tape."

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/15/2068921/girl-10-found-dead-in-truck-in.html#ixzz1E5QKq9Jw
This is just getting more horrific by the hour. The twins were bound by duct tape? The article says a neighbor child told a teacher and the teacher called the hotline. It also says the twins were homeschooled. I'm wondering if this "father" was punishing the girl for talking to a neighbor child?

I'm not sure I really want to hear the rest of this story. May this poor little girl rest in peace and for God to watch over her twin that is hospitalized.

It's unbelievable that the DCF didn't respond earlier to the reports that the children were tied up earlier. I've had to call the Florida DCF about much less urgent matters and they were out the same day.
Poor kids.

I am not sure that DCF did not respond, but whatever it is they did, they obviously did not remove the children from the home.

In the neighborhood where the Barahonas live, about 70 miles from where the truck was found, few neighbors said they knew or even saw the couple or the children.

"I lived here 20 years, and I spoke to him only once," said Heriberto Alonso, 65, who lives across the street on the 11500 block of Southwest 47th Terrace. "That was after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Not sociable."

Jose F. Morales, 40, who lives directly behind the family, said he, too, had spoken to Barahona only once, about a year ago when he lent his neighbor a shovel to level a newly installed storage shed.

Morales said he heard the children only on Sundays, when they came outside to swim. "They sounded like normal kids in the pool," he said.

Riordan said he could not comment on the results of any prior DCF investigations. He would not address why the Barahonas were allowed to keep the children and adopt them.

"All foster parents are extensively screened, and undergo thorough training, before any placement is made," Riordan said. "They are visited monthly by managers" before any adoption is approved, he said.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-body-in-truck-20110215,0,4476102,full.story

Interesting comments from the variety of neighbors. Earlier, some said 'they were really nice.' Then later you see neighbors that lived by them for 20 years, only had talked to them once and that was after a hurricane!

IF foster parents are extensively screened, how the heck does something like this pass through?

This is horrible.

JMHO
fran

I also read in the miami herald article that the mother is saying they were separated and the father had kept the twins and she had kept the other 2. Don't know how much truth there is in that if this teacher had just called last Thursday - that neighbor child must have talked to (or seen?) the twins recently to then tell the teacher.

Wonder where this guy was headed? He was already in Palm Beach county - 70 miles away. Shame that boy didn't hit his hand or grab the container and spill it all over him (the guy). I also wonder if the mother will be charged too?

In the neighborhood where the Barahonas live, about 70 miles from where the truck was found, few neighbors said they knew or even saw the couple or the children.

"I lived here 20 years, and I spoke to him only once," said Heriberto Alonso, 65, who lives across the street on the 11500 block of Southwest 47th Terrace. "That was after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Not sociable."

Jose F. Morales, 40, who lives directly behind the family, said he, too, had spoken to Barahona only once, about a year ago when he lent his neighbor a shovel to level a newly installed storage shed.

Morales said he heard the children only on Sundays, when they came outside to swim. "They sounded like normal kids in the pool," he said.

Riordan said he could not comment on the results of any prior DCF investigations. He would not address why the Barahonas were allowed to keep the children and adopt them.

"All foster parents are extensively screened, and undergo thorough training, before any placement is made," Riordan said. "They are visited monthly by managers" before any adoption is approved, he said.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-body-in-truck-20110215,0,4476102,full.story

Interesting comments from the variety of neighbors. Earlier, some said 'they were really nice.' Then later you see neighbors that lived by them for 20 years, only had talked to them once and that was after a hurricane!

IF foster parents are extensively screened, how the heck does something like this pass through?

This is horrible.

JMHO
fran

BBM - Nope, nope, nope. Experience here tells me this cannot possibly be true.

No.

]I also read in the miami herald article that the mother is saying they were separated and the father had kept the twins and she had kept the other 2. Don't know how much truth there is in that if this teacher had just called last Thursday[/B] - that neighbor child must have talked to (or seen?) the twins recently to then tell the teacher.

Wonder where this guy was headed? He was already in Palm Beach county - 70 miles away. Shame that boy didn't hit his hand or grab the container and spill it all over him (the guy). I also wonder if the mother will be charged too?

BBM

NO WAY that woman had no knowledge or involvement in what was being done to those children! Throw the book at both of them. :furious:

This is really weird, I live like 10 minutes away from where they found the truck and this guy was quite a ways away from where he lived, what would he be doing all the way up this way?

bbm

Then what about this???? They were already being investigated prior to the finalization of the adoption --- :banghead:

Before the adoption, the Barahonas had been the subject of three reports to the abuse hotline, said Riordan, who declined to specify the allegations. A source said one report stated the girl had been going to school dirty, while another report claimed one of the children had been bruised. The allegations did not result in any action against the Barahonas.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/15/2068921/girl-10-found-dead-in-truck-in.html##ixzz1E7wjoLce

Because we have an adopted child, then I feel qualified to speak out here. We were scrutinized like hawks - and I believe in our state, we would have been denied our adoption if anything at all appeared out of whack. We had three home visits after the placement - and the social worker held our baby each time, checked her for bruises, wrote down how often she took a bottle, etc, etc.

HOWEVER.... the big difference, IMHO, is that ours was a private adoption and not through the state. So we had an independent/private social worker and not a state-employed social worker.

This case really gets to me. It not only makes me sad but very angry. :furious:

This is really weird, I live like 10 minutes away from where they found the truck and this guy was quite a ways away from where he lived, what would he be doing all the way up this way?

My guess is looking for a dump spot far away from where he lived! =p

My PERSONAL opinion Only.

There are so many children in foster care in the state of Florida (over 29,000) That DCF is letting things slide...

Also I have seen manipulation of the Adoptive children and Foster Parents when DCF come to do a visit.

Remember DCF Schedules these visits weeks in advance.

It is so sad and Tragic for all of these children, already in a dire way by being in a foster home with no parents and then they get put in unsafe environments again with people like this.

:cry:

My heart hurts for the surviving children.

The young man with the chemical burns may be horribly disfigured for life. :(

I knew a woman whose husband had thrown acid on her face and the scars were horrific. :(

Not an accident...so very sad. :(

Thanks for the updates all.

My father in law works at the hospital where the foster father is, he said a lot of police are guarding his room, I hope they are able to get answers from him.

Found this in the miamiherald article:

The Barahonas also had custody of two other children adopted from the state, a 7-year-old girl and an 11- or 12-year-old boy, and often cared for a grandchild in their home, at 11501 SW 47th Ter. in West Miami-Dade.

That means they have grown, adult children. Wonder if they were natural children or adopted as well? What did they witness? Why didn't the mother go stay with her grown children instead of her mother? Wonder how these adult children feel about them babysitting their children now? Did these "unusual people" also abuse them when they were growing up?

So many questions. I did see that there should be more released this afternoon after the dependancy hearing.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/15/2068921/girl-10-found-dead-in-truck-in.html#

ETA: also found in this article:

But between Feb. 10 and Monday, child welfare investigators had not taken the children &#8212; who were being home-schooled, and had little visibility in the community &#8212; out of the home. Carmen Barahona had told investigators she and Jorge were separated, and she had custody of only the other two children &#8212; not Victor and his twin.

AND this:

Since the girl&#8217;s body was found, at least one of Victor&#8217;s adoptive siblings has confirmed to authorities that the children were being bound in the Barahona&#8217;s home, a source told The Miami Herald.

So, there ya go. The mother is lying. The other children have confirmed that this abuse was happening in HER HOME. She knew. I truly hope she is arrested today.

My heart hurts for the surviving children.

The young man with the chemical burns may be horribly disfigured for life. :(

I knew a woman whose husband had thrown acid on her face and the scars were horrific. :(

Not an accident...so very sad. :(

Thanks for the updates all.

Yes and his little lungs inhaled those fumes, burning inside also?
and tis little girl is his twin!
What did this monster do to her in front of this lil guy!

New article:

QUOTE:

The adoptive father of a 10-year-old Miami boy found doused in chemicals by the side of Interstate 95 Monday told police he drove to West Palm Beach with his son and dead daughter with plans to set himself on fire, according to a West Palm Beach arrest report.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/pa...h Florida Sun-Sentinel)&utm_source=feedburner

This guy is a coward. Has he also told "WHY" he did this? These poor children.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back