FL - Nubia Barahona, 10, slain, twin injured, West Palm Beach, 11 Feb 2011 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Detectives review autopsy report of girl found dead in pickup truck
By Alexia Campbell, Mike Clary and Wayne K. Roustan

2:29 p.m. EST, February 17, 2011

**snipped**
Barahona reportedly confessed to investigators that distress over Nubia's death led him to drive up to West Palm Beach to set himself on fire. He doused himself in gasoline, but was unable to go through with the suicide as Victor lay in his lap. He did not mention how Nubia died.

But an autopsy report outlining the cause of her death was sent to West Palm Beach police investigators Thursday morning, said spokesman Chase Scott. Police are reviewing the report and would not yet reveal how the girl died.

Earlier on Thursday, police had the toxic pickup truck removed from the interstate shoulder and taken to an undisclosed location, Scott said. FBI agents spent days sifting through the hazardous crime scene and are now analyzing chemical samples gathered.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-body-in-truck-folo-20110217,0,3432058.story

Well the wheels are turning. For the ME to have already completed the autopsy reoprt tells me the cause of death was quickly discernable. Let's see what the 5 o'clock news reports bring.

It was reported that she was starved (not that, that is the cause of death)... I just cannot imagine what these sick "people" were thinking

I hope the mother goes to prison for murder right along with the father

Ok I just heard it again on JVM. Supposedly on Sunday there was a different sw that went to the home. They said on Saturday a sw tried to call Jorge's cell phone and it wasn't answered then on Sunday a sw went to the home.

WHY wasn't THAT sw in court as well yesterday? Clearly there was only one sw in court and she didn't work on weekends and that infuriated the judge - NO WHERE DID I HEAR ANYONE SAY A DIFFERENT SW WAS AT THE HOSUE ON SUNDAY.

I'm wondering if the Judge has seen or heard this - betcha she'll be madder than a bull in an arena!

I'm so sick of this "backtracking" and "CYAing" and explaining away. Its not fair to these kids.

The pain must be the most horrible burn V could ever endure.
He might need skin grafts.........IMO, this is so inhumane.
Prayers for him, poor little guy.
And his little twin, gone..........nightmares!

as for the so called adopted mom..........
arrest her too,
she should of never left the twins with this guy.
She is as guilty as him IMOO.

The 11 o'clock news cast said that LE has taken Carmen in for questioning and are out searching the home now.

Jorge Barahona, who is charged with child abuse, tried to harm himself
Bond set at 1 million dollars

Posted: 9:25 AM
Last Updated: 1 hour and 15 minutes ago

By: Mike Trim
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - A man at the center of a strange aggravated child abuse investigation has been ordered held on one million dollars bond.

Jorge Barahona, from Miami, refused to make his first court appearance Thursday morning at the Palm Beach County Criminal Justice Complex.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said Barahona tried to injure himself while in custody. A spokesperson said he "attempted to harm himself by thrusting himself backwards causing an injury to his head."

He was checked and it was determined Barahona was not seriously hurt and able to appear in court, but the sheriff's office says he refused.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region...arged-with-child-abuse,-tried-to-harm-himself

Oh please. "Thrust himself backward hitting his head"! Really? GMAB Then he refuses to go to court. Not only is this guy a coward, he's a very immature spoiled brat at 53 years old!!!

I say - BUCK UP dude - you will face justice - like it or not. :furious: :furious:

No word on Carmen - yet.

Excuse me, how can he refuse to appear in court??????????? I'd have his butt in court!!!! And the death penalty is too good for him,,,,,,,,,put him out in the prison's general population, they will punish him but good!!!!:banghead::maddening:

The father at the center of one of the state’s most ghastly child abuse scandals was charged with attempted murder late Thursday night for the critical injuries sustained by one his two 10-year-old adoptive twins – a boy found doused with chemicals inside a pick-up off Interstate 95, West Palm Beach police said.

Jorge Barahona has not been charged in the death of another twin, Nubia, whose body was found in a bag inside the same truck as the boy.

These charges are related to the son, said West Palm Beach police spokesman Chase Scott.

Barahona’s wife, Carmen, was with Miami-Dade police Thursday night.
“She is with us,’’ confirmed police spokesman Det. Roy Rutland. “She went voluntarily because we needed some information.’’

Lisette Valdes-Valle, a DCF spokeswoman, said late Thursday that Victor’s condition was improving and that agency administrators planned to visit the boy later that night.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/17/2072627/1-million-bail-set-for-adoptive.html

Waiting patiently - well sort of! :waiting: to hear she has been charged too! :sigh:

Yay V! Get well Lil guy!!

This report says he's confessed to killing Nubia...

Police have charged Jorge Barahona with attempted murder of his ten-year-old son, Victor. Barahona has also confessed to killing the boy's twin sister, Nubia.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_c_palm_beach_county/jorge-barahona-charged-with-attempted-murder-of-10-year-old-boy

No reports yet on the autopsy results.
I just saw that as well. I don't understand. All the media outlets are reporting that he's been charged with attempted murder. I just checked again and nope - it still says homicide - murder while engaged in certain felony offense.

Wouldn't it say ATTEMPTED murder if he is charged with attempted murder?

I don't get it.

Still no new news this morning. All reports are still saying he is charged with "attempted" murder.

But I did find a picture of this sweet little angel:

nubia-thumb-250x421.jpg

RIP Nubia

I just saw that as well. I don't understand. All the media outlets are reporting that he's been charged with attempted murder. I just checked again and nope - it still says homicide - murder while engaged in certain felony offense.

I don't get it.

Maybe it is the intent / use of a weapon. He doused V in acid, intending to kill him.

I looked up the code for the charges - 782.04-2536. I found one case where the perp carried a concealed weapon, opened fire on 2 shopkeepers - hitting no one and another where the alleged perp used a gun to kill 3 family members. Lots of others, usually a death occurred with the perp showing a disregard for the life of the victim.

Moved on to the wording of the charge:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Wilful+murder

The unlawful killing of another human being without justification or excuse.

The precise definition of murder varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Under the Common Law, or law made by courts, murder was the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought. The term malice aforethought did not necessarily mean that the killer planned or premeditated on the killing, or that he or she felt malice toward the victim. Generally, malice aforethought referred to a level of intent or reck-lessness that separated murder from other killings and warranted stiffer punishment.

What a precious little girl. How could they...

OK someone signed off on something LEGAL allowing this couple to have the children in their home. Whoever that was needs to be charged with child endangerment and neglect as well- This person played a very active role in these children being forced to live there. Whoever this person is, made a horrible decision and put these children with cruel people.
I also am confused at the picture of the man. Is this a MUG shot? It doesn't look like an i.d, but I guess it could be. I haven't heard any background on him and I don't have the tools to research his history.

I don't get it.

I agree, Owl. I think it's for murder, otherwise the charges wouldn't be there, IMO. I think if it were a mistake, someone would have changed it by now. Of course this could be my wishful thinking and it could be just an error...

Seems the granddaughter was abused as well. Although it doesn't say how in this article - but there was a hearing today in Miami and the granddaughter was given to her father and her mother was told NO CONTACT WITH HER WHATSOEVER!

Accused child abusers’ granddaughter also a victim
By Carol Marbin Miller
cmarbin@MiamiHerald.com
The 6-year-old girl who blew the whistle on the grisly abuse of her grandparents’ two adoptive children is herself a victim of child abuse, authorities said Friday.

A Miami judge ordered that the girl’s mom, Jennifer Perez, and all members of her family to have no contact with the child for the foreseeable future.

“I want to know if I can at least speak with my daughter,’’ Perez asked .

“No,’’ replied Circuit Judge Sandy Karlan in a custody hearing requested by Perez’s ex-husband, Yovani Perez .

Jennifer Perez and her parents, Jorge and Carmen Barahona, are at the center of one of the state’s most grisly child abuse scandals in recent memory

**more at link**

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/18/2073727/granddaughter-of-accused-child.html#

Notice that it also says the BOTH Jorge and Carmen were this woman's parents. I'm wondering how much this grown daughter knew? Also, if she was abused by these two as a child.

What a load of carp!!!
And we're paying for it.

DCF officials spent four days in a futile search for Jorge Barahona and the twins. The agency finally called police Monday, the same day the truck was found.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/02/18/general-us-toxic-truck-family_8315982.html

Oh yeah, they called police the same day the truck was found. Probably after hearing it on the news.

"We don't work weekends"

Seems the granddaughter was abused as well. Although it doesn't say how in this article - but there was a hearing today in Miami and the granddaughter was given to her father and her mother was told NO CONTACT WITH HER WHATSOEVER!

Accused child abusers’ granddaughter also a victim
By Carol Marbin Miller
cmarbin@MiamiHerald.com
The 6-year-old girl who blew the whistle on the grisly abuse of her grandparents’ two adoptive children is herself a victim of child abuse, authorities said Friday.

A Miami judge ordered that the girl’s mom, Jennifer Perez, and all members of her family to have no contact with the child for the foreseeable future.

“I want to know if I can at least speak with my daughter,’’ Perez asked .

“No,’’ replied Circuit Judge Sandy Karlan in a custody hearing requested by Perez’s ex-husband, Yovani Perez .

Jennifer Perez and her parents, Jorge and Carmen Barahona, are at the center of one of the state’s most grisly child abuse scandals in recent memory

**more at link**

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/18/2073727/granddaughter-of-accused-child.html#

Notice that it also says the BOTH Jorge and Carmen were this woman's parents. I'm wondering how much this grown daughter knew? Also, if she was abused by these two as a child.

BBM

I wonder if they consider her a victim of abuse from being exposed to the abuse of the other children? It could be more, as well, but that thought crossed my mind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back