GUILTY FL - Phoebe Jonchuck, 5, dropped from 60' bridge, St Petersburg, 8 Jan 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
New trial for John Jonchuck? Judge sets hearing on motion
May 2, 2019
The judge who presided over the John Jonchuck murder case has set a hearing to weigh a motion from Jonchuck's lawyers asking for a new trial.

The hearing, set for June 6, will force Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Chris Helinger to consider whether she made errors significant or numerous enough to warrant a redo.
[...]

https://ccmspa.pinellascounty.org/PublicAccess/default.aspx
STATE OF FLORIDA vs. JONCHUCK, JOHN N

Case No. 15-00226-CF

OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS
06/06/2019 MOTION (1:30 PM) (Judicial Officer HELINGER, CHRIS)

MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL
05/02/2019 OFF-CALENDAR (8:45 AM) (Judicial Officer HELINGER, CHRIS) Result: HEARING HELD
05/02/2019 HEARING SET Doc # 437

MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL
04/26/2019 MOTION FOR REHEARING Doc # 436
TITLED "MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL"

Teary, frustrating, haunting: Inside the room where jurors determined the fate of John Jonchuck
Three jurors describe how they reached their verdict in a murder case that captivated Tampa Bay, and how they've moved on in the days after it ended.
May 3, 2019
After three weeks of agonizing testimony, the jurors in the murder trial of John Jonchuck found themselves at odds.

They had started deliberations with a show of hands.

Ten people thought he was guilty in the killing of his 5-year-old daughter, Phoebe, dropping her off a bridge on a dark night into the choppy water of Tampa Bay.

Two thought he was insane — unaware that he was doing something wrong when he let go of the girl in front of a police officer atop the Dick Misener Bridge.
[...]
Another night would go by before the jury, after 7 hours of teary, occasionally frustrating debate, unanimously decided Jonchuck was guilty of first-degree murder.
[...]
The seven men and five women called to serve as jurors in the closely-watched Pinellas County trial came from many backgrounds. The oldest was 64; and only one, a 30-year-old woman was younger than 50. The group included a scientist, three retirees, a stay-at-home dad and a pharmacy technician.

Their names were released to the public two weeks after the April 16 verdict, spurring calls and knocks on their doors by reporters. Several jurors declined to speak. Others said they needed some time. But a few shared their experiences.

“It was a real system failure from the day John was born to when Phoebe was thrown,” said Rosemary Murphy, of St. Petersburg, the 30-year-old juror who still struggles before bed with the thought that she helped send a sick man to jail.

“Why is it that I’m proud of my verdict, but I’m haunted by it at the same time?”
[...]
With consensus apparently achieved, the jurors took a final vote. When all 12 hands went up, some broke into tears and hugged.

With their shoulders light from reaching unanimity, and their stomachs empty from working past noon, they decided to order subs and salads before delivering the verdict.
[...]
Murphy said she thinks about the case often, struggling to return to her daily life. She remembered a counselor at the mental health treatment center where Jonchuck had been held saying that over the years, he improved from a troublesome patient to a model resident.

“Somebody finally concentrated on this person and he showed he was on the right track,” Murphy said. Now he’s going to prison to serve a life sentence.
[...]

Teary, frustrating, haunting: Inside the room where jurors determined the fate of John Jonchuck
May 3, 2019

WHO WERE THE JURORS?
• Seven men, five women.
• Ages: 30, 50, 52, 54, 55, 57, 57, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64.
• Two are single, two divorced and eight married.
• Three had served on a jury before, either criminal or civil.
• Four said they, an immediate family member or close friend worked in law enforcement.
• One said he, an immediate family member or close friend was a witness to a crime.
• Two said they, an immediate family member or close friend were victims of a crime.
• Two said they, an immediate family member or close friend had been accused of a crime.
• Their jobs:
Assistant clinical coordinator
Pharmacy technician
Medical technologist
Installations Manager
Retired
Retired
Retired
Operations development
Realtor
Unemployed
Stay-at-home dad
Environmental scientist

REMOVE MTN/HRG 6/6/2019
06/13/2019 STATUS CHECK/CONFERENCE (8:30 AM) FILING OF AMENDED MOTION

Case No. 15-00226-CF

OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS

06/13/2019 STATUS CHECK/CONFERENCE (8:30 AM) (Judicial Officer HELINGER, CHRIS)
FILING OF AMENDED MOTION
06/06/2019 CANCELED MOTION (1:30 PM) (Judicial Officer HELINGER, CHRIS)
CANCELLED IN COURT
MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL

06/04/2019 REQUEST Doc # 440
DEFENDANT'S FOR LEAVE TO AMEND MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL AND MOTION TO CONTINUE MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL HEARING
06/04/2019 OFF-CALENDAR (8:45 AM) (Judicial Officer HELINGER, CHRIS) Result: HEARING HELD
06/04/2019 ORDER GRANTING - IN COURT Doc # 441

D/MTN TO AMEND MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL
06/04/2019 ORDER GRANTING - IN COURT Doc # 442
D/MTN TO CONTINUE MOTION
06/04/2019 REMOVE FROM Doc # 443
MTN/HRG 6/6/2019 1:30 PM I
06/04/2019 STATUS CHECK SET Doc # 444
FILING OF AMENDED MOTION

Thursday, June 13th:
*Status Check/Motions Hearing (@ 8:30am ET) – FL – Phoebe Jonchuck (5) (Jan. 18, 2015, St. Petersburg-thrown off 62’ bridge into Tampa Bay by her father) – *John Nicolas Jonchuck, Jr. (25/now 29) arrested & charged (1/18/15) with 1st degree murder, aggravated assault with a vehicle on LE officers & aggravated fleeing & eluding police. Plead not guilty by reason of insanity. Held without bond. Jury trial started 3/25/19 & ended 4/16/19 when Jury finds Jonchuck GUILTY (not legally insane) of 1st degree murder. In Florida, 1st-degree is automatic LIFE in prison. The judge formally sentenced him to life.
4/26/19 Update: Defense filed a motion asking for a new trial. The document states the prosecutor committed misconduct by making statements and offering no evidence in support of the statements to the jury, among other things. The motion filed Friday argues that several decisions made by Judge Chris Helinger during the previous trial regarding evidence the jury should or should not have been allowed to hear were improper or unfair. Judge Chris Helinger sets 6/6 for Motions hearing to consider whether she made errors significant or numerous enough to warrant a redo.
6/6/19 Update: Hearing cancelled. Moved to 6/13 @ 8:30am.

08/26/2019 MOTION (2:00 PM) (Judicial Officer HELINGER, CHRIS)

MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL
06/13/2019 STATUS CHECK/CONFERENCE (8:30 AM) (Judicial Officer HELINGER, CHRIS)
FILING OF AMENDED MOTION
Result: HEARING HELD
06/13/2019 HEARING SET Doc # 445

MOTION FOR NEW TRIAL

John Jonchuck, convicted of murdering his daughter, wants a new trial
Published: 12:14 PM EDT June 13, 2019
The man convicted of murdering his daughter by dropping her off a bridge is looking for a new trial. John Jonchuck’s lawyers appeared in court Thursday to file a motion requesting a new trial based on recent changes to the law regarding expert testimony. Jonchuck's attorneys had already filed a motion requesting a new trial. If the defense does not file the second motion by June 21, the original motion requesting a new trial is scheduled for discussion on Aug. 26. [...]

WFLA News Channel 8
Published on Jun 13, 2019
John Jonchuck requests new trial; next motion hearing delayed by months

this poor girl... those who really cared for and loved this girl have to re-live it all again... the heartbreak. I imagine it feels like losing her all over again.

Monday, August 26th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 2pm ET) – FL – Phoebe Jonchuck (5) (Jan. 18, 2015, St. Petersburg-thrown off 62’ bridge into Tampa Bay by her father) – *John Nicolas Jonchuck, Jr. (25/now 29) arrested & charged (1/18/15) with 1st degree murder, aggravated assault with a vehicle on LE officers & aggravated fleeing & eluding police. Plead not guilty by reason of insanity. Held without bond.
Jury trial started 3/25/19 & ended 4/16/19 when Jury finds Jonchuck GUILTY (not legally insane) of 1st degree murder. In Florida, 1st-degree is automatic LIFE in prison. The judge formally sentenced him to life.
4/26/19 Update: Defense filed a motion asking for a new trial. The document states the prosecutor committed misconduct by making statements and offering no evidence in support of the statements to the jury, among other things. The motion filed Friday argues that several decisions made by Judge Chris Helinger during the previous trial regarding evidence the jury should or should not have been allowed to hear were improper or unfair. Judge Chris Helinger sets 6/6 for Motions hearing to consider whether she made errors significant or numerous enough to warrant a redo.
6/6/19 Update: Hearing cancelled. Moved to 6/13. 6/13/19: Defense files motion requesting a new trial based on recent changes to the law regarding expert testimony. Jonchuck's attorneys had already filed a motion requesting a new trial. If the defense does not file the second motion by June 21, the original motion requesting a new trial is scheduled for discussion on Aug. 26.

Jonchuck's defense attorneys want a new trial after murder conviction
Updated Aug 26 2019 06:02AM EDT
According to court documents, the defense said prosecutors made claims during opening arguments without providing physical evidence to support those claims.
[...]
Jonchuck's attorneys also said jury should not have been told about certain pieces of evidence, such as previous "bizarre" statements made by Jonchuck, or that Jonchuck defaulted on payments for his condo and spent money on drugs.

The document also said an expert witness seemed to have changed his mind about Jonchuck's mental state between the time when the doctor was interviewed and when he testified.

Finally, the defense said one of the case's controversial expert witnesses, Dr. Lazarou was dressed inappropriately during her evaluation of Jonchuck, but the court refused to let the jury decide whether that was true and if it may have played a role in his behavior.
[...]

John Jonchuck’s lawyers fight for new trial in daughter’s death
Updated: Aug 26, 2019 / 06:59 AM EDT
[...]
The motion will now be heard on Monday, August 26 at 2 p.m.

SeesSeas from article said:
Finally, the defense said one of the case's controversial expert witnesses, Dr. Lazarou was dressed inappropriately during her evaluation of Jonchuck, but the court refused to let the jury decide whether that was true and if it may have played a role in his behavior.

Okay - I have to
100x100px-LL-3948d446_laughter.gif
at this paragraph!

Okay - I have to
100x100px-LL-3948d446_laughter.gif
at this paragraph!
Yes, big chuckles. I thought you'd enjoy the laugh. :D
A refresher on "defense said. . . Dr. Lazarou was dressed inappropriately during her evaluation of Jonchuck":
The Trial of John Jonchuck, Day 18: Watch as rebuttal (probably) continues

APR 11, 2019

LANE, JOSH AND ZACK (10:22 a.m.)
In the center of the courtroom, the defense team sets up a large TV and turns it to face the jury. We can’t see the screen, and it won’t be in our livestream. Jonchuck, the judge and lawyers can’t see it either. They all sit behind it.

“Okay, is everybody ready?” the judge asks at 10:13 a.m., just as the jury comes in.

“We got a few issues, Judge,” Bolan says. The judge sighs and hangs her head.

The judge sends Lazarou out. Bolan says the defense is going to ask the psychiatrist about what she was wearing when she interviewed Jonchuck in the mental health hospital. While she was there, a guard asked her cover up there.

“She was intentionally trying to distract her,” says public defender Jessica Manuele. “She said she had to cover up and leave. An attorney for the hospital walked by a screen, saw her in there, and told her to cover up.”

“It certainly goes to her professionalism,” Manuele says. “Her experience in a hospital setting.”

“A woman’s choice of attire, their hairstyle, all of that stuff,” the judge says. “I don’t think is really relevant to all of that stuff. … I’m not going to let her be attacked for her dress. I’m not going to allow that to happen.”

“She entered the hospital completely inappropriately dressed,” Manuele says. If she’s testifying she knows how those things are done, she should have known better, the defense says. The psychiatrist’s attire made Jonchuck uncomfortable, and might have affected his actions during the interview, the defense says.

The defense wants to play clips of Lazarou’s interview with Jonchuck. Bolan doesn’t see why that should be shown, and objects. The judge overrules.

“Okay, are we ready for the jury?” asks the judge.
[...]

Thanks for that - I must have missed it when I watched the trial! Too funny! I don't believe that motion is going fly - JMO!

Also found this on the court site:

08/29/2019 MOTION (10:00 AM) (Judicial Officer RONDOLINO, ANTHONY)
PUBLIC DEFENDER'S MOTION TO COMPEL PAYMENT OF SERVICES.

link: https://ccmspa.pinellascounty.org/PublicAccess/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=16863299
I think that motion is about Dr Wagoner:
08/29/2019 MOTION (10:00 AM) (Judicial Officer RONDOLINO, ANTHONY)
PUBLIC DEFENDER'S MOTION TO COMPEL PAYMENT OF SERVICES.
08/14/2019 NOTICE OF HEARING Doc # 456

MOTION TO COMPEL PAYMENT OF SERVICES 8/29/19 10:00 AM
08/13/2019 MOTION TO COMPEL Doc # 453
PAYMENT OF SERVICES
upload_2019-8-26_13-8-3.png

Brief FOX 13 VIDEO: Jonchuck lawyers argue for new trial
POSTED: AUG 26, 2019 05:11PM EDT

John Jonchuck, convicted of daughter Phoebe’s murder, seeks new trial
August 26, 2019
LARGO — The teams of lawyers who fought for and against John Jonchuck in a month-long trial earlier this year reassembled Monday afternoon to argue over whether he is entitled to a redo.
[...]
Jonchuck, who has been in the state prison system, came back to Pinellas County for the hearing and was present in the courtroom Monday. His hair was shorter and grayer than it was months ago and he wore a red jail jumpsuit and orange jail slides. Pinellas-Pasco Circuit Judge Chris Helinger — the same judge who presided over the trial — let Jonchuck turn the shirt of his jumpsuit inside out to conceal the words “high risk inmate” printed on the front.

Then began public defender Jessica Manuele, running the judge through her 13-point, 31-page new trial motion. She read case law and excerpts from the trial transcript to Helinger for nearly three hours. The judge remained silent through most of the soliloquy, save for an occasional question. Audience members, bailiffs and journalists volleyed yawns back and forth.
[...]
A man who served on the trial jury, Jim Siewak, watched the hearing from the gallery. He said he wanted to see how it ultimately plays out, after giving more than four weeks to the case. How does he feel about the defense trying to get Jonchuck a new trial?

“Personally, I don’t like it," he said. "But if it was me, I’d want them fighting for me too.”

He said after he and his 11 fellow jurors rendered the guilty verdict, he spent a week combing through video of the trial to find out what the jury wasn’t allowed to hear. He keyed in on a critical statement Jonchuck made to a paralegal in the hours before he dropped Phoebe, that “If I can’t have her, then no one else will.”

The judge called that a “killer statement," but ultimately ruled the paralegal could not say it before the jury because prosecutors didn’t properly notify the defense about it.

Siewak said if the case were to be retried, and the new jurors heard that statement, they’d have no trouble finding Jonchuck guilty again.

“He’d be done in a heartbeat," Siewak said.

I'm astonished....I don't get why this *who knows what" has been sentenced to life in prison....
So these "jurors" really thought he didn't deserve to be sentenced to death? Wow...
If I were one of Phoebe's parents I would be really upset (and insulted) :cool::cool:

I'm astonished....I don't get why this *who knows what" has been sentenced to life in prison....
So these "jurors" really thought he didn't deserve to be sentenced to death? Wow...
If I were one of Phoebe's parents I would be really upset (and insulted) :cool::cool:
This was not a death penalty case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back