FL - Sarah Boone, 42, charged with murdering boyfriend Jorge Torres, 42, by leaving him locked in suitcase, Winter Park, Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, the judge has very clearly stated that SB has lost her right to legal representation funded by the state.

She can however, appoint a lawyer she pays for. That would delay a bit of time if they needed to catch up on case notes and then she dumped them too. Not sure how many times she'd be able to do that.
Actually, she can’t do that either. She can hire a private attorney, of course, but the judge included in the order that the trial will not be delayed for such a reason.

From the court order —

This case SHALL REMAIN SPECIALLY SET FOR TRIAL for the two week trial period beginning Monday, October 7, 2024 and will not be continued for any reason, except by extraordinarily good cause and such extraordinarily good cause shall not include retention of counsel by the Defendant.

Actually, she can’t do that either. She can hire a private attorney, of course, but the judge included in the order that the trial will not be delayed for such a reason.

From the court order —

This case SHALL REMAIN SPECIALLY SET FOR TRIAL for the two week trial period beginning Monday, October 7, 2024 and will not be continued for any reason, except by extraordinarily good cause and such extraordinarily good cause shall not include retention of counsel by the Defendant.

Wow thanks for the info. The judge has busted her at her own game.

I saw a legal youtuber speculating about her being granted extra time - either for her to prepare her case or for a privately funded lawyer to catch up on it - and thinking it would be only fair and reasonable, however, seems they were mistaken!

I'm glad to hear this time wasting and waste of public funds is now being intervened on!

I’ve just started following this case and have a quick question. Will the trial be a jury trial or bench trial? I think SB’s histrionics and drama would not play well to a jury, but not sure. Sounds like the evidence is there, basically open and shut case ( though that is a horrible, unintended pun about what she did to her boyfriend :( )

I’ve just started following this case and have a quick question. Will the trial be a jury trial or bench trial? I think SB’s histrionics and drama would not play well to a jury, but not sure. Sounds like the evidence is there, basically open and shut case ( though that is a horrible, unintended pun about what she did to her boyfriend :( )
I've wondered the same thing. Considering that she recorded her crime-in-progress, I don't think it much matters.

Sarah Boone had a hearing today:

For now, Boone has forfeited her right to counsel and will likely represent herself at her upcoming trial.

The judge said she will be given access to a laptop from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Her next hearing is set for Aug. 5 with her trial scheduled to begin Oct. 7.

Updated July 25, 2024 1:17pm EDT
Orange County

Accused killer Sarah Boone is still looking to hire an attorney. For now – she's still on her own, representing herself in court, and she's already running into issues.

July 25, 2024

Sarah Boone: Florida woman accused in suitcase murder will represent herself​

Sarah Boone, the Florida woman accused of leaving her boyfriend to die in a suitcase in 2020, appeared in court for a status hearing where she was told that she will represent herself after she forfeited her right to an attorney.

It will be a jury trial, she would not (no way) want a bench trial. Bench trial would not be good for Ms. Boone. moo

The hearing is well worth the watch. jmo

Sarcasm post. Everything Sarah says is about Sarah. No one else is important in Sarah’s world. She is the victim.

She complained throughout the hearing. The judge showed a lot of patience. moo

I can't recall ever hearing SB's voice before - she has a sweet kind voice for being a monster. moo

2020-CF-002603-A-O : STATE OF FLORIDA - VS - BOONE, SARAH

DateHearingTimeLocationPagesDoc
10/7/2024Trial - Kraynick, Michael S9:00 AMRoom 12-A On The 12th Floor
9/24/2024Trial Management Conference - Kraynick, Michael S1:30 PMRoom 12-A On The 12th Floor
8/5/2024Status Hearing - Kraynick, Michael S8:45 AMRoom 12-A On The 12th Floor
7/25/2024Status Hearing - Kraynick, Michael S (Actual: Kraynick, Michael S)8:45 AMRoom 12-A On The 12th Floor

Sarah Boone had a hearing today:

For now, Boone has forfeited her right to counsel and will likely represent herself at her upcoming trial.

The judge said she will be given access to a laptop from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Her next hearing is set for Aug. 5 with her trial scheduled to begin Oct. 7.

Updated July 25, 2024 1:17pm EDT
Orange County

Accused killer Sarah Boone is still looking to hire an attorney. For now – she's still on her own, representing herself in court, and she's already running into issues.

July 25, 2024

Sarah Boone: Florida woman accused in suitcase murder will represent herself​

Sarah Boone, the Florida woman accused of leaving her boyfriend to die in a suitcase in 2020, appeared in court for a status hearing where she was told that she will represent herself after she forfeited her right to an attorney.
It was 19 minutes but, for the portion where Sarah was talking, it felt like, oh, so much longer.

The Judge coordinated with the jail as well as the court appointed defense private investigator to digitize her discovery, provide her laptop use between 8 and 4 everyday.

But Sarah wants hardcopies. So she can write on them. So you can read them at 3 am.

She asked if she'd be given extra time before trial but the Judge reiterated, "the date's the date".

Sarah was upset to learn about the hearing at 3 am, sounds like. Judge said he set the hearing only the day before.

Judge reminded her that she waived court appointed counsel by her behavior and that representing herself would not be easy, would not be easy for communication. Letter writing it is.

She has sent him five motions already but he hasn't yet received them.

She was very annoyed that the media was there. Asked the Judge if she coukd query them directly, wanted to know how it was that they knew about it. Judge declined saying the media members aren't under oath and aren't party to the trial.

She is tiresome.

JMO

SB really doesn't like surprises does she!?

ETA: I'm not sensing longevity for that laptop...

Obviously she can't have paper copy, it would be completely unmanageable wheeling huge cases of paperwork around to and forth for her and she couldn't take chunks of it away to read at 2am because she's in a dorm.

Plus, major issue of that video she's avoiding - she can't watch the video on paper can she?

I think issues will arise when she's left with that laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDK
SB really doesn't like surprises does she!?

ETA: I'm not sensing longevity for that laptop...

Obviously she can't have paper copy, it would be completely unmanageable wheeling huge cases of paperwork around to and forth for her and she couldn't take chunks of it away to read at 2am because she's in a dorm.

Plus, major issue of that video she's avoiding - she can't watch the video on paper can she?

I think issues will arise when she's left with that laptop.
Smart that the Judge won't let her have the charge cord.

So if she tries to keep the laptop, it'll be useless without juices.

I hope the judge is ready. For 300 page motions.

My prediction is this process won't work. I think SB will end up in a medical crisis or worse before she gives up her ego defences and the game.

If not that, I think the overwhelm will get to her, she'll be begging and pleading for a lawyer and won't be prepared for court and will claim she's not had time and / or the skills to defend herself and screaming unfair trial and victimhood off the rooftops. Plus focussing and obsessing on minor detail along the way and making mountains out of molehills - god forbid any 'surprises'!

Reality is going to hit her so hard and I don't think she'll cope. It's not going to be pretty
or entertaining - we will see a profoundly unstable woman floundering and in crisis IMO. And I wouldn't want to be the insurer of that laptop. JMO

Reactions: IDK
And the private investigator, bless his heart, will be her new target.

The judge, bless HIS heart, probably genuinely believed SB would be pleased to be getting discovery in any form. But he maybe doesn't realize how insatiable SB's Cluster F ego is. Her next 50 motions will likely be an attack on the digital copy. And how, complete with artistic flourishes, she can't prepare her defense unless she can actually hold discovery.

I pity the judge for what's ahead.

JMO

And the private investigator, bless his heart, will be her new target.

The judge, bless HIS heart, probably genuinely believed SB would be pleased to be getting discovery in any form. But he maybe doesn't realize how insatiable SB's Cluster F ego is. Her next 50 motions will likely be an attack on the digital copy. And how, complete with artistic flourishes, she can't prepare her defense unless she can actually hold discovery.

I pity the judge for what's ahead.

JMO

100% that investigator is already in the cross hairs of Cluster F!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back