FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
huh. I don't know. you could be right and they officially confirmed prior to the autopsy. I had thought it was after, but I don't honestly recall. I think my point, if I had one, is that I think they would have called the parents pretty soon after finding the remains, and that enough info would have been given for the parents to be 99.9% certain that it was her. And then there was another call confirming, either after the autopsy, or perhaps earlier, but in any case, before the identity was confirmed to the public.
you have a point...LOL....but I still find the timing odd in all of it...it took me about 40 min to get home from Gano that evening....this came out on the news while I was driving I guess.....once home, hubby said, well, you won't be going tomorrow to search prob...they found a body in the land fill in GA....then the vigil where she made those statements....I remember also something about his presser that he could not identify because they could not get close enough to the body yet because of the way they investigate piece by piece....it would take some time.....I don't know, all to weird for me to think about this late.....night again...LOL

you have a point...LOL....but I still find the timing odd in all of it...it took me about 40 min to get home from Gano that evening....this came out on the news while I was driving I guess.....once home, hubby said, well, you won't be going tomorrow to search prob...they found a body in the land fill in GA....then the vigil where she made those statements....I remember also something about his presser that he could not identify because they could not get close enough to the body yet because of the way they investigate piece by piece....it would take some time.....I don't know, all to weird for me to think about this late.....night again...LOL

I think once you sleep on it, it will be more clear in the morning. Or the questions will be more clear. I wake up with thoughts in the AM that are more clear than my nighttime muddle.

I'll go catch up but the Sheriff called Diena around 9 p.m. on Wednesday. I will find the links that say this but I've posted them before, so I remember.

The autopsy was not done until Thursday (IIRC).

The sheriff said he had told the girl's mother to prepare for the worst, and called her Wednesday night after receiving the news that the body was Somer's.
"Needless to say, she was absolutely devastated," he said. "It was the hardest phone call I've ever had to make in my life, and I hope I never have to make another one like that." http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,568982,00.html

The sheriff told the girl's mother Wednesday night that her daughter had been identified. Thompson, he said, was devastated.
"It was the hardest phone call I've ever had to make in my life, and I hope I never have to make another one like that," Beseler said at a Thursday morning news conference.
video.gif
Watch sheriff announce that girl's body identified »

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/22/...ody/index.html

Hope link to video works.

From: http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4498246&postcount=405

An autopsy was also done Thursday and the body was positively identified as Somer Thompson through dental records. Police refused to divulge any other details about cause of death or about the condition in which the body was found.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2317154/somer_thompson_case_sheriff_says_there.html?cat=9

I have finally caught up- remind me to not stay away for an entire weekend.

In reading, I wanted to note the following:
1) Hooters: This is in a shopping plaza with other rest. But this one is of a different layout. Meaning the entrance is not directed at the main road but rather to the side. Meaning the back of the rest is secluded (not facing) to the rest of the parking lot. I think that behind Hooters is the entrance to an apartment complex. I will have to double check on this and get back with everyone. I had friends a couple of years ago that lived in this complex. Another thing is that there was a new store being built in the same center as the Hooters but I think that has been finished for a while now. I will have to ask my hubby if he remembers if it was done last time we ate in that complex and what type of business it was.
2) Local bars stop serving alcohol at 2:00 and they usually close around the same time or shortly after. I don't frequent bars too often unless it is a special occasion with friends but most of our are downtown (20 minutes away from Orange Park). There are very few bars/ clubs in Orange Park but Crazy Horse was one of them (next point).
Crazy Horse (now known as Whiskey River) was not an adult entertainment bar. I know someone with connections there so if anyone can get a last name for "Chris" I would be more than happy to ask around.
4) I am so interested in the BIL/ cousin thing. I would like to see this discussion continue but do not have much to add to it other than the obvious that everyone else has posted. MO is it is not a cousin, the support shown to one certain person leads me to believe BF/ husband (which I think someone posted they saw a ring?)

I will probably stay on tonight for a little while longer. Hope everyone has a good night.

Posted in [ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4498437&postcount=420"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased FL - Somer Renee Thompson, 7, Orange Park, Thread # 24[/ame]

Beseler said he told the child's mother, Diena Thompson, about 9 p.m. last night in a phone call after receiving more information from his investigators at the landfill.

http://savannahnow.com/latest-news/2...renee-thompson

During a 7:15 a.m. news conference, Sheriff Beseler said they were able to make a positive identification of the birthmark on the lower extremity of the child, along with some clothing items that she was wearing.

After positively identifying the body, Beseler called Somer's mom, Diena Thompson.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story...116008&catid=8

And
[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4498419&postcount=418"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased FL - Somer Renee Thompson, 7, Orange Park, Thread # 24[/ame]

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=116008&catid=8

I have finally caught up- remind me to not stay away for an entire weekend.

In reading, I wanted to note the following:
1) Hooters: This is in a shopping plaza with other rest. But this one is of a different layout. Meaning the entrance is not directed at the main road but rather to the side. Meaning the back of the rest is secluded (not facing) to the rest of the parking lot. I think that behind Hooters is the entrance to an apartment complex. I will have to double check on this and get back with everyone. I had friends a couple of years ago that lived in this complex. Another thing is that there was a new store being built in the same center as the Hooters but I think that has been finished for a while now. I will have to ask my hubby if he remembers if it was done last time we ate in that complex and what type of business it was.
2) Local bars stop serving alcohol at 2:00 and they usually close around the same time or shortly after. I don't frequent bars too often unless it is a special occasion with friends but most of our are downtown (20 minutes away from Orange Park). There are very few bars/ clubs in Orange Park but Crazy Horse was one of them (next point).
Crazy Horse (now known as Whiskey River) was not an adult entertainment bar. I know someone with connections there so if anyone can get a last name for "Chris" I would be more than happy to ask around.
4) I am so interested in the BIL/ cousin thing. I would like to see this discussion continue but do not have much to add to it other than the obvious that everyone else has posted. MO is it is not a cousin, the support shown to one certain person leads me to believe BF/ husband (which I think someone posted they saw a ring?)

I will probably stay on tonight for a little while longer. Hope everyone has a good night.

Ha ha. We don't even know if Chris is the guys name. A poster who has since disappeared and claimed to be a friend of DT's ,said that this "Chris" was a bouncer at Crazy Horse and had a thing for DT.

Another poster said that he wears really tight pants. So could you ask your contact if there was a guy who worked there, perhaps as a bouncer, perhaps not, who wore really really tight pants.

That's my request. Maybe someone has a better request.

Who did you think scratch guy was being close to?

I am such a bad detective.

I believe 4mer indicated one of the sisters (I know someone thre it out there). The one with the big bow at one of the vigil's. The affection shown reminds me more of an intimate relationship, not a family (brother, cousin, etc). Just my MO but my cousins and I were never the type to keep each other's arms around each other, even when we had a death in the family.

Ha ha. We don't even know if Chris is the guys name. A poster who has since disappeared and claimed to be a friend of DT's ,said that this "Chris" was a bouncer at Crazy Horse and had a thing for DT.

Another poster said that he wears really tight pants. So could you ask your contact if there was a guy who worked there, perhaps as a bouncer, perhaps not, who wore really really tight pants.

That's my request. Maybe someone has a better request.

Who did you think scratch guy was being close to?

I am such a bad detective.

The other poster also referred to him as "Chris" before then.

Ok-scratch guy. How can we figure him out at all. We have to eliminate cousin as the only option, because I don't know if that info can be considered valid. Maybe it's the BF or hubby of one of DT's friends.

The two pics I saw of him didn't show any women around other than DT's sister in the blue shirt. I'd think that his wife or girlfriend would have been right there along with the family. Could he be the boyfriend of DT's sister or someone related to PC since he was also in the pic?

This article isn't too bad to read. It shows that she could have come out. Don't want to keep writing here. Anyway, this is a story of a man who survived three compactions in a garbage truck.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6736246.html

If the report of how they found Somer's body is to be believed, they said they found her with only her little legs sticking out from under the garbage and she was tentatively identified by a birth mark on her leg. Are we suppose to believe that all her body was crushed except he legs. How could this be if she went through the compactor?

Just typing out loud here.

Bruce Owens came up with the idea of checking the garbage on Tuesday morning when he came to work (7 a.m. if they were changing on the 7s as Dan H. (forget last name but he is sgt.) said.

But one detective, Bruce Owens, came to work early the morning after Somer was reported missing and noticed "dumpsters were being picked up" in the neighborhood, Beseler said.

"Bruce said to me that morning, 'We need to get on those dumpsters,'" Beseler said. "I said, 'I want a deputy on every garbage truck.' "

Cached source

And the Sheriff said the dumpsters they were searching were from Tuesday.

Beseler said Dumpsters in the area are emptied on Tuesdays, and that particular garbage investigators were searching was dropped off Tuesday afternoon.

http://swampie.wordpress.com/2009/10/21/little-somer-thompsons-body-found-in-folkston-landfill/

Sad, didn't you say they searched the building and found her? Before the trucks were checked?

So where did that garbage that was in the building come from? Just earlier trucks they had not followed?

Not sure where I'm going with this but something is itching my brain.

The other poster also referred to him as "Chris" before then.

I'm just not real certain that we can go with the Chris as first name. IMO only.

I just don't think if she's willing to ask, we should just limit it to Chris as a name, in case it isn't.

So what is DT's sister's name-the one with the big bow?

I got so sidelined by the search people were on and then it switched, that I have forgotten what the sister's name is.

The two pics I saw of him didn't show any women around other than DT's sister in the blue shirt. I'd think that his wife or girlfriend would have been right there along with the family. Could he be the boyfriend of DT's sister or someone related to PC since he was also in the pic?

That is my other thought. Didn't someone state that he is still here in Jax, supposedly from Orlando? Not only is that a long time to be away from home (maybe took vacation time and just speculating here from another comment) but also a long time to be away from your wife if he is indeed married, from Orlando, cousin to family, etc.

I'm not sure we can post them but you can look in the obituary for her sisters' names. They are Ds too.

DB married to FB
DF (older IIRC) no husband is listed in obit

Just typing out loud here.

Bruce Owens came up with the idea of checking the garbage on Tuesday morning when he came to work (7 a.m. if they were changing on the 7s as Dan H. (forget last name but he is sgt.) said.

Cached source

And the Sheriff said the dumpsters they were searching were from Tuesday.

Sad, didn't you say they searched the building and found her? Before the trucks were checked?

So where did that garbage that was in the building come from? Just earlier trucks they had not followed?

Not sure where I'm going with this but something is itching my brain.

I'm with you here Noway. I remember that as well. But I'm not knowing where you are going with this thought.

I want to go to bed, but I feel people are cooking here.

I'm afraid to go to bed. I'm afraid I'll lose what I can't think of.

LMAO
That made no sense. I don't know what it is I'm thinking with that garbage.

Maybe that the trucks they followed were unimportant IF Somer was found in the trash already in the building.

I need Sad to verify what she the Landfill people said.

ETA
Not sure who asked but I agree that DUMPSTER means not from residence and not construction but from a business. In our mall, there are 4 big ones behind the mall. All the stores in the mall use the same ones. That kind of thing.

I brought this forward so hopefully everyone can get a list of reasonable questions together. I rarely talk to this person just because we are not that close but am willing to make contact for this:
I would like to include description so sad please refresh my memory.
I obviously have the tight jeans description embedded in my brain- LOL and possibly named Chris.
What else?
I am out of here for tonight but will look for responses tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbya