FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good ole boy Dickie....he is the one that we discussed at length way back....had his name CHANGED as an adult....odd...still can figure that one out....happened in 96 I think...just went back Oct 15th 2009 requesting a new birth certificate, I think it was from NY....odd...why would a grown man want to change his name??

It has been stated by a poster who is not "anti-DT" (and neither am I for that matter) that the only reason LE was told SP was asked to stay was so that sheriff would not know there was usually no adult present.

Let's move on from walking home. If they walked home, who was there to let them in? Who supervised them then? How did they get into the house? How long were they there alone? If DT gets off work at 4 normally and then there is the drive home, or stop at the store or run errands, etc. You do the math. What can happen during that amount of time? Perhaps someone has seen this happen and comes just knocking at the door saying he is a friend of CPC's and is there to pick up tools, whatever. Are they supposed to have enough sense to shut the door in his face and call mom? Any adult might be trusting enough to open the door, it wouldn't be the first time.

Why take chances with small children. Why not find somebody, Grandma and Grandpa, SP, CPC, a neighbor, to be at the house so that the kids would have somebody they knew to be there consistently and care for them.

10 years old is a little young to be a mother.

I would be suprised if DT did this or was in any way involved. Maybe the Sheriff hasn't come out and cleared her. But, one of the earliest fundraisers, the carnival event, was organized in part by the wife of a officer. One of the later fundraisers (a bike ride, I think) was sponsored by, among others, the fraternal order of police and the Jacksonville Fire Dept. (Trying to find media links but remember this info very clearly)

To me, detectives would have a pretty good idea by now if she's involved or not. I'm sure they have interviewed and re-interviewed her and gotten answers to all of the questions we wonder about. I can't see LE involving themselves in any type of fundraising for this family if they in any way thought the family was involved. JMO of course.

Found the links:
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/25/national/main5420298.shtml
http://photos1.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/7/4/b/5/highres_11489877.jpeg

In this case, though, Somer was a flight risk. It can hardly be expected of a 10 year old who also has charge of another 7 year old (and who would probably prefer to walk and play with her own friends) to supervise, have authority and be obeyed by a headstrong (DT and ST have both called Somer that) feisty little girl who runs off regularly. This running off often lasted for an hour or more. BTW the legal age for babysitting is 16. The 17 year old former sitter up and quit because she was so stressed calling all of the neighbors.

So it's not just Somer walking home and following her siblings, it's her running the neighborhood freely. It's the business as usual attitude of "oh well she will show up at the last minute. Then she died.

BBM

From what I read at the following link, AT watching her younger siblings at home is not illegal in Florida.

http://blog.cjamiesonlaw.com/?p=61

Snipped:
The question becomes far more complicated when there are younger siblings also at home. In essence, is the oldest child ready to stay at home and to be in charge of his or her younger siblings?

Some states have a bright line definition which specify in age (e.g. 12 years old) when it is legal to leave children alone. The majority of states, including Florida, do not establish a specific age.

I strongly blame the school system.These little ones are too small and young to have to walk and shouldn't have too.As for daycare NOTHING is ever free any more.I wouldn't accept free day care.I do not know who is really taking care of my children.

Nobody is saying day care. There are free after school programs (like
P.L.A.C.E. here in Pasco County) offering supervision right on school grounds by professionals who must submit to background checks. There are activities, clubs, and all kinds of things those kids could have been involved in.

Once the child is off grounds, it is not the school's responsibility. The schools have a critical responsibility to monitor the children while they are on the grounds, including when the last bell rings and they make sure the riders are picked up, the car riders are not with strangers, and the walkers are on their way, hopefully accompanied by responsible people. I would guess the school was aware Somer had run off regularly and offered these services. It would be standard procedure. The teachers are not responsible for the busing issue. It is your legislators who determine what funds go into what issues within your state and county, PLUS the school board.

And people are saying these little ones are to small and young to have to walk and yet a lot of parents let them? Face it, after this happened every other parent who was interviewed said they would never let go of their child's hand again. Never!

Good ole boy Dickie....he is the one that we discussed at length way back....had his name CHANGED as an adult....odd...still can figure that one out....happened in 96 I think...just went back Oct 15th 2009 requesting a new birth certificate, I think it was from NY....odd...why would a grown man want to change his name??

I was looking at all my saved videos and saw him. So many people came to pay their respects for Somer but he was surely odd...

It has been stated by a poster who is not "anti-DT" (and neither am I for that matter) that the only reason LE was told SP was asked to stay was so that sheriff would not know there was usually no adult present.

Let's move on from walking home. If they walked home, who was there to let them in? Who supervised them then? How did they get into the house? How long were they there alone? If DT gets off work at 4 normally and then there is the drive home, or stop at the store or run errands, etc. You do the math. What can happen during that amount of time? Perhaps someone has seen this happen and comes just knocking at the door saying he is a friend of CPC's and is there to pick up tools, whatever. Are they supposed to have enough sense to shut the door in his face and call mom? Any adult might be trusting enough to open the door, it wouldn't be the first time.

Why take chances with small children. Why not find somebody, Grandma and Grandpa, SP, CPC, a neighbor, to be at the house so that the kids would have somebody they knew to be there consistently and care for them.

10 years old is a little young to be a mother.[/QUOTE lets not forget that DT also went to school sometime in her busy schedule...]

I agree that it is a school systems responsibility to educate but...
I feel our tax dollars fund these systems and I feel it is a horrible way for them to save gas money (again, our money) buy not providing safe transportation to and from school for ALL elem aged students. No matter where they live.
JMO

Well, if I could add an aside here...
My son told me that he dreaded getting on the bus, there was terrible behavior, some abusive toward kids, the drivers could not maintain order and he didn't sit down for 3 years. Furthermore, he did not use the public rest room for 3 years because kids were smoking pot there, and putting other kids' heads in toilets. And as I said, even if she did take a bus, she would come home to an empty house. And any perp who had a special interest in her would know that, and find a way to get to her there. Just last week SAD posted that she drove by and one of the kids was way down the block and little Sammy was all alone looking bereft playing by himself with out an adult in sight.

We cant protect them from everything, but we need to use discernment and common sense. Even if it means giving up things we'd rather do to get them through these tough times with a parent by their side.

I've looked and looked but can not find anywhere that says the legal age to babysit it 16.

I never said Somer riding a bus would have made a difference!

I simply said that I feel it is horrible for school systems to not provide transportation to and from school for ALL elem aged children.

It's My Opinion.

I was looking at all my saved videos and saw him. So many people came to pay their respects for Somer but he was surely odd...
Trigger, did you happen upon the one of AB talking about the trash???

I've looked and looked but can not find anywhere that says the legal age to babysit it 16.

It was either the previous thread or this one that we talked about it along with the age one should be allowed to stay alone.

I understand what you are saying.

But, it has been repeated over and over again that DT refused childcare. I was pointing out that is rumor as far as we know. There has been no link provided and Sad has said she knows it's true but will not say how she knows. So, at this time, it is a rumor and should not be repeated as fact IMO.

As far as it being easily ruled out, I don't think it would be easy for any of us to rule it out since we do not have access to Somer's records. So, as far as our conversation on this thread, it is rumor IMO.

Thanks for your kind and intelligent answer.
I'll go by reason of common sense. (1) Somer had a history of running off, documented by witnesses who reported it; (2) Somer had one or more fights with child(ren) either in class, at school, on the way home (various reports); (3) Somer was teased a lot (reported by mom); (4) Somer's sister chastised her regarding her fight(s); (5) there was no documented evidence of adult(s) being at home when the children arrived; (7) it is highly likely that Somer's family, friends and teachers knew about these things and one or more may have intervened, talked to the child about not running away; (8) if she was fighting more than a few times at school, she would have been called to the principal's office and/or a note written home and/or conference called with parent. Somer may have had 1-1 guidance or tutoring or even been put in in-school suspension for her fighting. That would account for some of the confusing information about just when she left school grounds, if she was held over.

SO although we do not have access to Somer's school records, the situation and school protocol point to the distinct probability that that the child could have been helped. This makes the rumor unsubstantiated, but HIGHLY likely that after school care would have been suggested.

Finally, since DT and others have stated that neighbors were counted on to "watch" the kids (was that on the walk home or when they arrived there), it is likely that DT was comfortable with that arrangement and may have turned down after school care.

New1, I understand what you are saying but when we were discussing this, it was not that the school should be responsible for walkers and car riders.
It was that some of us (me me me) think that it's horrible that some of the school systems do not provide transportation to and from school if you live closer than 1-2 miles from school.

It would be ridiculous to expect the schools to watch every child walk or ride in cars all the way home. But, I do not think it's ridiculous for schools to spend our tax dollars giving ALL elem aged children a ride. JMO

I see what you are saying, and I personally would be OK with my tax dollars being spent for this. I'm just saying that I don't blame the school system for Somer's death. The only one who could have prevented it for sure is the KILLER, not the school. If Somer roamed the neighborhood after school, she would have done that after she got off the bus too had she been bused to her front door.

Chances might have been taken and poor choices made by letting those kids take care of themselves and roam the neighborhood, but the KILLER is the one who could have prevented it with absolute 100% certainty. We don't know yet who that person is and we may never know, but I don't think the school not providing a ride for Somer caused her death in any way. JMO

Trigger, did you happen upon the one of AB talking about the trash???

Ah...That why I was looking at my videos yesterday and today...LOL..

Sorry I didn't find it....Not Yet....

BBM

From what I read at the following link, AT watching her younger siblings at home is not illegal in Florida.

http://blog.cjamiesonlaw.com/?p=61

Snipped:
The question becomes far more complicated when there are younger siblings also at home. In essence, is the oldest child ready to stay at home and to be in charge of his or her younger siblings?

Some states have a bright line definition which specify in age (e.g. 12 years old) when it is legal to leave children alone. The majority of states, including Florida, do not establish a specific age.

It was an earlier poster here who I want to say reported the legal age as 16. Now that I think of it, that may have referred to a person entering the field of child care. But again, common sense. If 16 is the youngest a person may apply to become a licensed child care provider, then how do we conclude that 10 years old is acceptable to babysit 2 children for an undetermined amount of time? Both ages have the same responsibilities, the only difference being that the former would work under rules and regs of the State of Florida. I doubt that DT knows or cares about any of this. As far as I can see, she just let the chips fall and got at least one babysitter, and I'd guess it was because Somer was running off. This babysitter said she used to sit when DT and CPC would go party. She had a list of neighbors to call in case Somer disappeared. Mom knew she liked to get away from family members and go to neighbors' houses and try to find friends to play with. I wonder why she did that?

Ah...That why I was looking at my videos yesterday and today...LOL..

Sorry I didn't find it....Not Yet....
It has disappeared off the face of the earth......I say she must know something......I don't think she was sitting there next to the sheriff for no reason at all....there were many neighbors and friends....why her? what could she know??

Ok, I still stand by the fact no matter how many reasons something is probable, it is not fact unless proven as fact.

From what I understand, when we (WSers) state something that is a rumor, we are supposed to state it is a rumor. We are not supposed to state a rumor as if it is a fact. That is what I was talking about all those posts ago and still stand by that.

The fact that DT refused childcare has been stated over and over again as fact but that does not make it fact. No matter how probable it is does not make it fact.

So, I'd like to repeat, DT refusing childcare is rumor at this time as far as this thread is concerned.

When I see it stated as fact, I feel I have the right to post to say it is rumor. I will continue to do so. Everytime.

IMO JMO MOO and all that jazz.

O/T: contrarry to popular belief, I have common sense. I may not be able to spell very well, but I do have common sense. IMO

:crazy:

As far as I can see, she just let the chips fall and got at least one babysitter, and I'd guess it was because Somer was running off. This babysitter said she used to sit when DT and CPC would go party.

Where has that been said? I've seen that the sitter said she watched the kids afterschool, but have never seen it said that she was sitting so DT could party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth