FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember hearing the Sheriff in a video say it had been recommended the family not view the body. He referred to her body having been in a landfill for a couple of days.

I have my own opinions about why a viewing was not recommended. Morticians are very skilled at making the deceased presentable for viewing. There are times when they're not able to do so - such as the case Dr. Fessell just posted (I'm so sorry about your brother-in-law, Doc), but most of the time they are able to, even when there have been horrific injuries. When my little niece was killed (struck by a semi-truck) she suffered terrible, fatal head injuries. Her mother was discouraged to see her at the scene of the accident, but there was an open casket funeral. The funeral home did a wonderful job of preparing her for the viewing. You couldn't even see the injuries.

IMO, viewing (even a private, family-only viewing) of Somer's body was discouraged from an evidentiary standpoint. Remember, as far as we've been told, COD hasn't been released to family. LE may have been wanting to protect evidence.

"We're not gonna be able to see Somer" makes it sound IMO like someone else was doing the stopping.

What would be the reaction if she had come forward and said "My family and I have chosen not to view Somer's body" ... would people think they were uncaring and didn't love Somer?

I don't know what I would do if in those shoes but the me posting says I wouldn't view my daughter. I'd rather remember her boxing in a tutu on the Wii, swinging on her swing, dancing to Dora, snuggling with me, etc.

AGain. What is the point of coming out into a crowd and giving them such personal information like it was a news presser? Death, violent death, such a cruel, intimate thing. That's what I meant earlier when I say I feel like Somer is being violated, even after death. I can see keeping her "alive" through a charitable cause, donating to help unfortunate children, a scholarship, missing childrens' funds, etc. Not going on TV and out in front of total strangers (among who are creepy people) and blabbering everything.

I believe she went through two garbage compactings before she was found at the dump. The actual truck that picked up the dumpster compacts after each dump into it and then that garbage is dumped into a pit and compacted again to load into a semi-truck. Odds are she was way beyond being fixed.

Panamia,

Thank you for the response, truly.

I 'get' that part. How is that relevant to the investigation? Do you think less of them because they did not view her body and possibly torture themselves with that image for the rest of their lives? If so, how is that relevant to the investigation? Most people know what they are capable of handling and even think they can handle more than they really can, imo. The ME knew exactly what Somer's body looked like, especially her face. If the ME discouraged her family from viewing the body I would think the ME had pretty good reasons for doing such. Myself, I can not look down on them for not viewing Somer's body. I think they did what was best for each of them and I respect each of their individual decisions. It is not a weakness or a lack of love that prevents one from viewing a body but it is an act of self preservation as well as memory/image preservation, again imo.

Ok. I am trying to figure out this situation as if I were LE. I would discourage parent(s) from viewing if I thought they might see any detail which they could use or share with a perp to impede my investigation. I am not sharing information, COD, Autopsy or ANTHING TO ANYONE AND THAT INCLUDES PARENT(S) because everyone is still a suspect. There may be something that I as LE have seen on that dead body that ONLY the perp or a person complicit with the perp would know. So they would know that I would know and they would then do whatever to cover their tracks? Making sense? Doubt it. It's the only theory I can come up with.

IF AS LE I do not have legal authority to disallow this relative to see the body, then my next step will be to get with the funeral home personnel and TELL THEM TO DO EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO DISCOURAGE THAT RELATIVE FROM SEEING THAT BODY OR TOUCHING THAT BODY.

If as a relative I am the perp or complicit in the murder, why would I want the reality of what I have done or been complicit in being done - especially the mangled body of my own child - to be right in my face?

http://www.news4jax.com/video/21409125/
Somer's Mom Will Get To Keep Lock Of Daughter's Hair

I did get some not so good information today, and that is that we are not gonna be able to see Somer. They are gonna give me a lock of her hair, but I'm not gonna be able to see her.

I believe she went through two garbage compactings before she was found at the dump. The actual truck that picked up the dumpster compacts after each dump into it and then that garbage is dumped into a pit and compacted again to load into a semi-truck. Odds are she was way beyond being fixed.

That's what I had initially believed, too. Until Sad posted way back when that when ST and she were @ the funeral home (IIRC, it was the funeral home) for the visitation, ST requested to view her, but the funeral home personnel recommended not to. Sad posted that she spoke with the person in private & asked him if it was because of garbage compacting. She said the funeral home person told her no.

This was way back when Chee posted that she had heard a rumor through a friend (whose daughter had told her) that her body was found covered with construction debris & glass.

Three reasons come to mind for a viewing to be recommended against.

1. Protection of evidence/COD
2. Fatal injuries beyond cosmetic repair
3. Decomposition of remains beyond cosmetic repair

ETA: Or a combination of any of the above

I found this you tube video about Somer. I don't know if anyone has posted it but it was the first time I've seen it. Made me cry. What a beautiful child.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPIBLfeOIk[/ame]

Here is a compactor at a transfer station. You can see the semis at the end of it that they will actually take the compacted garbage to the landfill with.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lquNKu5uN3k[/ame]

When my brother-inlaw was killed in a motorcycle vs bus crash the coroner and the funeral home advised all the family and his parents not to view him because he was such a mess and there had been a fire too. Nobody did.

So sad... Im sorry doc.

So sad... Im sorry doc.

It really was, and so needless. The guy owned an ambulance service and knew how dangerous motorcyles are. My last conversation with him about a week before was why the hell don't you wear a helmet. His mom and sister where all together when we heard the news and that was when I really understood what wailing is.

It really was, and so needless. The guy owned an ambulance service and knew how dangerous motorcyles are. My last conversation with him about a week before was why the hell don't you wear a helmet. His mom and sister where all together when we heard the news and that was when I really understood what wailing is.

It's a macho thing. Too bad he felt the need to live on the edge. Even a helmet can't save you when up against a bus.

I think all the support she has recieved from the community points to what they feel about her.

That has been stated before. Communities are made of individuals. I am saying no individuals have stated anything positive about her, though many have said, "I am here to support her because I am a mother, too, it could have been my child...I am going to hold my child closer...I am not going to let my child out of my sight...how could this happen in this community...I can't imagine what she is going through..."

I have to believe that in all of the coverage, SOME reporter must have interviewed neighbors or acquaintences where an opportunity would be made for somebody to say something personally postive about her. ESPECIALLY in light of her complaining that she was receiving hate e-mails from people stating she had been neglectful when it wasn't her fault that there were not buses for her kids.

I recall several instances where reporters spoke positively about her, quoting her as saying she felt guilty, and saying either about her or directly to her, "no...how could you say that? You shouldn't say/think that" and the Jax4 anchor was in tears during the vigil on her behalf. No statements from friends, neighbors, her own parents, sisters or relatives. But somehow I realize this won't satisfy you. Again, I urge you to post away if you find some.

You made me cry. Its a sound you will never forget, caused from a pain that is truly unbearable. Thanks for sharing doc, even if you did make me cry.

I remember hearing the Sheriff in a video say it had been recommended the family not view the body. He referred to her body having been in a landfill for a couple of days.
I have my own opinions about why a viewing was not recommended. Morticians are very skilled at making the deceased presentable for viewing. There are times when they're not able to do so - such as the case Dr. Fessell just posted (I'm so sorry about your brother-in-law, Doc), but most of the time they are able to, even when there have been horrific injuries. When my little niece was killed (struck by a semi-truck) she suffered terrible, fatal head injuries. Her mother was discouraged to see her at the scene of the accident, but there was an open casket funeral. The funeral home did a wonderful job of preparing her for the viewing. You couldn't even see the injuries.

IMO, viewing (even a private, family-only viewing) of Somer's body was discouraged from an evidentiary standpoint. Remember, as far as we've been told, COD hasn't been released to family. LE may have been wanting to protect evidence.

Yes he did say a couple of days in the landfill
If she was dumped on tuesday and found on wed then that is one day
For her to be there a couple of days she would have to have been dumped on Monday

http://www.news4jax.com/video/21409125/
Somer's Mom Will Get To Keep Lock Of Daughter's Hair

I did get some not so good information today, and that is that we are not gonna be able to see Somer. They are gonna give me a lock of her hair, but I'm not gonna be able to see her.

Thanks Noway. This still isn't quite the one I remember, though. It sticks in my mind that DT was talking AS she was walking to the crowd, over her shoulder in a way and I think it was a female anchor who made the clarifying statement about the body viewing. Thanks again.

Question on the police report in the box others involved who is the male AC?
If so where is ST JR at ?
Did CPC take him somewhere and drop him off so he would not be upset by what was going on?
What time did he return to the house?

Yes he did say a couple of days in the landfill
If she was dumped on tuesday and found on wed then that is one day
For her to be there a couple of days she would have to have been dumped on Monday

Right and what was the "normal" trash pick up day? Wasn't there some controversary over the day that particular week not being the routine day? Sorry, I know this has been discussed so many times..

Cane - I'm not seeing AC listed in Others Involved section. I see Juvenile, white male. I see the mother. Where does it list AC in Others Involved?

ETA: Oh - I think I know what you mean. Juvenile is AC, but since he's a juvenile, his name is not listed. But I believe it refers to him in that section.

"Sheriff Rick Beseler wants people in Clay County to know there is reason to be “vigilant and careful” until the person responsible for the murder of 7-year-old Somer Thompson is found.

“There’s someone out there, and there’s nothing to guarantee that won’t happen again,” Beseler said after a news conference on Wednesday, Oct. 28. “We don’t know if we have another Ted Bundy out there.”"

http://www.claytoday.biz/content/1636_1.php

He makes it sound like once the killer is found, children would once again be safe in Orange Park. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot