FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
and iirc, in the dog video they said that due to the heavy traffic the dog could have lost the scent for that reason as well.

Heat and rain will weaken the scent also. Since everyone has the same scent at death, cadaver dogs seem to be more accurate. MOO

The part I'm was talking about that is not fenced runs from Gano (opposite side of the street from JH's house), back behind the Grove condos, and comes out on Debarry (just past the storage shed area).[/quote]

You know I just have a feeling those fences are just little sections by the road and not fenced the whole way on either side. I remember them doing that on canals in idaho to that run through town.

I agree with you there. We can't depend ENTIRELY on one report.

Common sense should tell us there is ALOT they have not reported on.

I still can't get it through my mind that had she actually gone into a home that a dog would not have followed the scent -- they searched SO MANY homes in the neighborhood/surround area --- which makes me believe her scent REALLY did vanish into thin air -- had they had a REAL HIT they would have been all over it as they were on the burnt Gano house.

OT: The Chelsea King case breaks my heart at the moment. I have plans to make a big change in this country -- in any case, it makes me think I should spend less time on these individual cases and get to work. and OT again -- I know this guy was a RSO in her case- so they already had his dna in a bank - but they matched it up VERY quickly to the evidence they had found - so quickly they were already going to charge him with murder before the body was found. What does this make everyone think about Somer's case?? There are a lot things in a few other cases atm that I am making comparisons to.

NSC, To me this says that they haven't got J.H. registered as a RSO, and therefore no DNA in a data bank. It must be from what i have seen, a lot easier to match a criminal to a crime, if they have that information already stored, but if not then more difficult. We don't even really know if they have any DNA from Somer to match to a perp. I think if they really wanted J.H's DNA to match to the crime, then i am certain they have it by now. Yet from what is stated, they are in no great hurry to convict or charge him with the crime against Somer??? I find this a bit unusual, because with other crimes, they do not seem to hesitate in doing that?? I wonder why? I am guessing they don't really have much to go on?

NSC, To me this says that they haven't got J.H. registered as a RSO, and therefore no DNA in a data bank. It must be from what i have seen, a lot easier to match a criminal to a crime, if they have that information already stored, but if not then more difficult. We don't even really know if they have any DNA from Somer to match to a perp. I think if they really wanted J.H's DNA to match to the crime, then i am certain they have it by now. Yet from what is stated, they are in no great hurry to convict or charge him with the crime against Somer??? I find this a bit unusual, because with other crimes, they do not seem to hesitate in doing that?? I wonder why? I am guessing they don't really have much to go on?

I disagree. I think there is no rush because he is already sitting in jail with some pretty serious charges. He's not going anywhere any time soon.

So, why would they charge him quickly and start the clock ticking on the whole speedy trial thing?

Time is on their side in this case, unlike a lot of other cases where the perp is walking around in public. Somer is gone, perp is behind bars, what's the rush?

I think they are playing this very smart. Crossing the t's and dotting the i's.
And because of this, they will have a stronger case against him when this goes to trial.

If they didn't have much on him, they would've waited to name him a POI until they had more. IMO. Nobody wants to look stupid. KWIM

In the most recent case of Chelsea - they arrested the perp not knowing if they would find a body

Sarah Foxwell - LE arrested the perp on kidnapping charges; waiting a full month before murder charges were lodged.

If LE can get a body behind bars they do it! Sarah, Chelsea, and Somer, could end up being murder 1 charges - they need an airtight case and sometimes that takes time. MOO

I'm guessing because they know they have him nailed with the current charges, and he's not going anywhere, ever:

(b) An offender 18 years of age or older who commits lewd or lascivious molestation against a victim less than 12 years of age commits a life felony, punishable as provided in s. 775.082(3)(a)4.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes..._Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0775/Sec082.HTM

They have the luxury of spending their time constructing an air-tight case against him regarding Somer's murder.

I didn't want to trust street view, since it could be as much as 2 years old. Sad was going to take the route too, and I hope take pictures (hint, hint).

Shutterfly Ditch Pix

What I still couldn't figure out was if there was actual pipe there, as in a pipe that runs this path, under the roads and could be used as a shortcut, sight unseen. From what I could see from the road, it didn't look that way. It looked like there was concrete around the openings of the ditch to drain water in, but no actual pipe that ran through it. I plan to go back to try to figure it out (when not in heels and work clothes).

I also wanted to say in J.H's case, if they did have enough evidence to say they have "got their man", in this case, as has definitely been stated, then wouldn't the more serious crime of Somer's abduction/murder charge override the other crimes he has been charged with so far? Not that those are not of a serious nature, but they didn't culminate in murder, and disposal of a body.

I'm guessing because they know they have him nailed with the current charges, and he's not going anywhere, ever:

(b) An offender 18 years of age or older who commits lewd or lascivious molestation against a victim less than 12 years of age commits a life felony, punishable as provided in s. 775.082(3)(a)4.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes..._Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0775/Sec082.HTM

They have the luxury of spending their time constructing an air-tight case against him.

That molestation charge is airtight.

I also wanted to say in J.H's case, if they did have enough evidence to say they have "got their man", in this case, as has definitely been stated, then wouldn't the more serious crime of Somer's abduction/murder charge override the other crimes he has been charged with so far? Not that those are not of a serious nature, but they didn't culminate in murder, and disposal of a body.

What they have is audio and video of him committing a "life felony". Meaning he's nailed to the wall. He belongs to the state of Florida for the rest of his life.

Sure, murder is more serious. That's why I want them to have all the time they need to make certain their case is air-tight. Convicting him of these charges guarantees they have that time.

What I still couldn't figure out was if there was actual pipe there, as in a pipe that runs this path, under the roads and could be used as a shortcut, sight unseen. From what I could see from the road, it didn't look that way. It looked like there was concrete around the openings of the ditch to drain water in, but no actual pipe that ran through it. I plan to go back to try to figure it out (when not in heels and work clothes).

It's hard to see from aerial shots but it looks like there is no cement, just grass ditch.

Map Image with 2006 overlay

Map Image with 2008 overlay

That molestation charge is airtight.

Exactly! So they have him behind bars for a long time, so what is the holdup with charging him in Somer's murder, if as is said, they have "the right man". They have him behind bars on child molestation charges, he's not going anywhere anytime soon, and they still have plenty of time to get more info. together on Somer's case!, to make it so called "airtight", before it goes to trial, and we all know from a certain other high profile case in Florida, that a "speedy trial is not speedy at all!

Exactly! So they have him behind bars for a long time, so what is the holdup with charging him in Somer's murder, if as is said, they have "the right man". They have him behind bars on child molestation charges, he's not going anywhere anytime soon, and they still have plenty of time to get more info. together on Somer's case!, to make it so called "airtight", before it goes to trial, and we all know from a certain other high profile case in Florida, that a "speedy trial is not speedy at all!

??

You're asking 'what is the holdup' yet you seem to agree with a number of us that JH isn't going anywhere and LE should make their case (re: Somer) airtight.

Not sure I understand where you're going with this.

Someone may have responded to you already ... and I will grab the link for you, but Somer's scent was lost by Kahlua the dog at Gano and DeBarry, not Grove Park.

This is my transcription of the video report:

This is the link to the video (broken now am trying to find alternate)

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/video/default.aspx?maven_playerId=immersiveplayer

Click HERE this one works!

so why didn't Kahlua pick up the scent by JH house or in the ditch, which would be grass and trees, etc?

I disagree. I think there is no rush because he is already sitting in jail with some pretty serious charges. He's not going anywhere any time soon.

So, why would they charge him quickly and start the clock ticking on the whole speedy trial thing?

Time is on their side in this case, unlike a lot of other cases where the perp is walking around in public. Somer is gone, perp is behind bars, what's the rush?

I think they are playing this very smart. Crossing the t's and dotting the i's.
And because of this, they will have a stronger case against him when this goes to trial.

If they didn't have much on him, they would've waited to name him a POI until they had more. IMO. Nobody wants to look stupid. KWIM

Because i think if they have definitely got the right person here, they owe that info. to Somer's family, and the rest of the general public also, for obvious reasons!

I guess maybe I'm looking at this from a different angle because I do live in the area. I'm not just thinking about what LE has done in other child murder cases, but how I've seen other major cases in the county handled by CCSO. A few weeks ago, around the same time as JH's arrest, there was a murder trial going on here for a young woman killed a few years ago. It's kinda O/T so I'll keep the details short. The woman was raped and killed when arriving to work early one morning. RSO was arrested about a month later after DNA matched. His defense to this was they had consensual sex and someone else came along and killed her. Defense argued that once LE found the RSO's DNA, they stopped investigating and never tested other evidence, such as skin under her nails. CCSO admitted they stopped investigating, they had their guy. (BTW, he was convicted.) But, IMO, they aren't going to make this mistake twice. They will be sure to have it right given how high profile the case is.

early february the first lab tests started to come in... one week later JH was arrested (match possibly?)

imhoo they are in no great hurry and are, as they stated, "at ease" because they now have time to nail down the rest of the forensic tests to make an airtight case. To me it is not unusual. It is rather stellar police work (as they have shown from the start).

I also think they have a lot to go on. I don't think this LE agency would ever throw the term POI around loosely. For them to say POI at this point is like calling a kettle black.
again moo.

Because i think if they have definitely got the right person here, they owe that info. to Somer's family, and the rest of the general public also, for obvious reasons!

I agree! And it's coming IMO.

These things take time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members