FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question - if this has been asked and answered, I apologize.

Quote from the First Coast News story (bbm):

Them? What does this mean?

I believe he either misspoke or the reporter got it wrong.

I was pretty busy at work this afternoon and wanted to thank you all for posting all the latest on Somers case.

I really appreciate it!

I just read the news! I am so relieved that that precious little girl may finally get justice! My thoughts and prayers are with Diena and the rest of the Thompson family.

I am SO glad that this case has been ultimately solved.

Harrell's home sat unsearched for 4 months after Somer was killed. But yet a different home was searched for days on end within a week of her death.

I'm not buying that Harrell was on the radar since the beginning.

I still gotta respectfully disagree with you nurse.

A child was murdered months after a computer was turned in that could have put the murderer behind bars and prevented the whole thing. That's a very stark reality. Believe me, I understand the constraints the Sheriff is working under and I have no problem seeing their side of the story, but...if Somer were my child that would not be enough for me, not even close. I would want to put the screws to them any way I could, and by association, other LE departments nationwide. The point is there is always room for improvement, especially when expedience can mean a matter of life or death for a child. And even if the system can't be improved I would expect a thorough review of the system and a public acknowledgement of the necessity of that by the Sheriff.

I have to respectfully add my 2 cents. Child *advertiser censored*/trafficking cases are very, very complicated, particularly with regards to the computer forensics. Keep in mind - every picture depicts a crime, and there's always the hope that the child depicted is alive and can be rescued. These investigations often involve the FBI, ICE, Interpol, etc. Its a great thing to get a local guy with kiddie *advertiser censored* off the streets - but LE will be meticulously careful to not do anything to interfere with corollary investigations, particularly ones to capture the abusers who record and distribute the filth.

Also this isn't a popular stance, but being accused of having kiddie *advertiser censored* is probably one of the most damaging accusations to ones reputation. Before LE arrests someone for it, they're going to want to make sure the computer wasn't hacked, there wasn't a virus. That takes some time to track IP addresses, file originations, etc. It's not a quick process. But LE can't and shouldn't arrest someone without fully investigating - imagine if your husband, son, dad's computer had a virus, and without investigating they were hauled in to the police station?

Of course hindsight is 20/20, and we'd all be a lot safer if future murderers were born with it marked on their faces.

Yay!!

I don't think he confessed, or it would've been reported. By his own admission, I think, should mean that the answers were taken out of him NOT VOLUNTARILY but by interview/interrogation. IMO.

After this case, the time spent processing all potential evidence in sexual predators cases should be changed. They can't risk the same thing happening to a child in the future when they had evidence in their hands months before a crime like this was committed.

I am not passing blame, though. These things are hardly predictable, and nowadays LE departments all over the land have their hands full with an extreme amount of psychos roaming their streets.

But, we should see change.

Harrell's charging sorta echoes something LE said in the beginning, that there was a killer in their midst, and that the criminal killed once and would kill again.

Awesome job LE!

Does anyone have a link to a video of the Diena Thompson presser? I missed it:(

All i can say is to Deina and her family "may god and angels walk by your side, and that of your family also, for the many difficult days you will have to endure, may you be spirited on the Wings of Love, and the Love you shared with your precious daughter Somer. You are and will be strong, we have already seen that, and you will find strength you didn't know you had through it all, for your beautiful child. I pray there will be a place, where one day we can all be reunited with our beloved ones, where there will be no more heartache and pain. God Bless.

I just went back and read the transcript. I am amazed at how much info they had.
DNA, witness statements, JH's admissions....

They got him!!!!!

Me Too!

Diean Thompson is amzaing woman. My prayers to her and Somer's father.

I can't find the post by the mod right now but we are not supposed to be slamming the parents. It just ends up with people getting banned and the thread locked up. If anyone knows where that is at can they bump it up or copy it over?

I have to respectfully add my 2 cents. Child *advertiser censored*/trafficking cases are very, very complicated, particularly with regards to the computer forensics. Keep in mind - every picture depicts a crime, and there's always the hope that the child depicted is alive and can be rescued. These investigations often involve the FBI, ICE, Interpol, etc. Its a great thing to get a local guy with kiddie *advertiser censored* off the streets - but LE will be meticulously careful to not do anything to interfere with corollary investigations, particularly ones to capture the abusers who record and distribute the filth.

Also this isn't a popular stance, but being accused of having kiddie *advertiser censored* is probably one of the most damaging accusations to ones reputation. Before LE arrests someone for it, they're going to want to make sure the computer wasn't hacked, there wasn't a virus. That takes some time to track IP addresses, file originations, etc. It's not a quick process. But LE can't and shouldn't arrest someone without fully investigating - imagine if your husband, son, dad's computer had a virus, and without investigating they were hauled in to the police station?

Of course hindsight is 20/20, and we'd all be a lot safer if future murderers were born with it marked on their faces.

This guy was held without bail on CP charges; however I believe that is because they already were in the process of nailing him for Somer's murder. Had he been arrested in the beginning (before her murder) he probably would have had bail set and been bailed out by his mother. No guarantee he wouldn't have killed Somer anyway.

NOT making excuses for anyone but there are lots of cases out there of people arrested for CP that get bail and are back on the streets.

(Examples below at link showing bail amounts)
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/ma...faces-66-child-*advertiser censored*-charges/

I can't find the post by the mod right now but we are not supposed to be slamming the parents. It just ends up with people getting banned and the thread locked up. If anyone knows where that is at can they bump it up or copy it over?

And also, I'd like to add, if you see someone bashing the parents, don't respond, just alert the mods to the post by hitting the triangle.

Sometimes, if you respond to a rude post, you will also get a time out.

Trust me, I know.:angel:

This guy was held without bail on CP charges; however I believe that is because they already were in the process of nailing him for Somer's murder. Had he been arrested in the beginning (before her murder) he probably would have had bail set and been bailed out by his mother. No guarantee he wouldn't have killed Somer anyway.

NOT making excuses for anyone but there are lots of cases out there of people arrested for CP that get bail and are back on the streets.

(Examples below at link showing bail amounts)
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/ma...faces-66-child-*advertiser censored*-charges/

And it was a very complicated case since ex-roomies turned the computer in who could have had a possible grudge, and it ended up going through two LE departments because of how it was turned in before it ever got to the forensic lab. All those things caused delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay