FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
GREAT WORK momtective! 2 thoughts: I got the impression that LE notified the waste facilities that they wanted to track the garbage from the neighborhood as it came in- I don't think they just followed the trucks in police cars. If that was the case, waste management might have sent the initial trucks directly to the GA landfill. Just my opinion, but I'd imagine that since the city waste and construction waste are collected separately, its all brought to Rosehill first so it can be combined and sent to GA in bigger trucks. It would save the county money to ship as much as possible in one trip to GA. Or maybe LE notified Rosehill it was interested in the waste from this area, and Rosehill told them which trucks were going to be sent to GA with that waste.

My 2nd thought was perhaps Rosehill is more a "waste management" facility than a landfill- where recycling and special items are separated from the trash and disposed of separately, before the rest of the waste is sent to the ultimate landfill.

After checking out their website
http://www.claycountygov.com/Depart...own_of_Orange_Park_#The_Town_of_Orange_Park_I called the City of Orange Park---Public works and inquired about the types of pick up the do.
They were very kind and provided the information as to what types of pick up they do. The lady stated that they collect local, household refuse, in containers, at the curbside. They also do dumpsters for local businesses But...they do not do construction dumpsters. Construction dumpsters are handled by private contractors hired by the construction site.
All refuse collected, both privately contracted and City works is transported to Rosemary Hill Landfill, in Clay County. Rosemary Hill Landfill http://www.wastemap.org/Facility-Profile.cfm?idsFacility=15 RMH then transports the refuse from Rosemary Hill to Georgia landfill.
Now this really raises the question...if the refuse collection truck that LE followed went first to Rosemary Hill then how in the world did LE know to go to the Ga. landfill site?
In my mind right now, there is no way LE followed a local city refuse collection truck and wound up in Ga. He (LE) would have had to of followed a refuse truck from Rosemary Hill to the Ga. landfill.
I'm really scratching my head on this one.
Also the contractor for the dumpsters at the burned house is "Amason." Going to look for them now.

Strange, but someone with LE knew to search that particular landfill. Wonder if there are more than 1 pickup company and multiple landfills, companies using different ones?

If I remember correctly, a lady in the area suggested that LE search the vacant house and the dumpster, and later reported that it wasn't done. On Wednesday morning one of LE wakes up and has an idea to search dumpsters/landfills. Could it be that the lady suggested the search to this particular member of LE?

ORANGE PARK, Fla. After 7-year-old Somer Thompson vanished on her way home from school, investigators tailed nine garbage trucks from her neighborhood to a Georgia landfill nearly 50 miles away, then picked through the trash as each rig spilled its load.

-----

Searching landfills is common when children disappear, but it is unusual to try to zero in on them more efficiently by tracking a neighborhood's garbage trucks, said Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

----

Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler says authorities discovered the body after one officer suggested they follow the garbage trucks which were making pick-ups at the time. COURTESY: CBS's "The Early Show"Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler says authorities discovered the body after one officer suggested they follow the garbage trucks which were making pick-ups at the time. COURTESY: CBS's "The Early Show"

ETA: linky

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/916/story/763835.html

IIRC

LE said they might be able to narrow down which trash can Somer was in based on identifying surrounding trash.

Also, the trash is picked up and at Rosemary Hill, transferred to different truck (does that make sense? it does not to me; I thought they followed the truck all the way from neighborhood).

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/sheriff-somer-thompson-s-body-found-in-landfill-1.1538224
At a news conference, Sheriff Beseler said he feared for the community until the killer was found.

He told "Good Morning America" that one of his detectives had brought up the idea to check the landfills that service the Florida suburb, so a detective was assigned to follow each truck that went to the Georgia landfill. The girl's body had been in one of the trucks. "Had we not done that, tons of garbage would have been distributed over the body," Beseler said, "and likely never would have been found."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2313487/somer_thompson_found_search_for_killer.html?cat=9

Besler assigned a group of detectives to track trash that had been picked up that day in Orange Park and went to the Rosemary Hill landfill in Green Cove Springs. Some of the trash was also transferred to the Chesser Hill Road Landfill in Folkston.

About 200,000 tons of trash were sifted through at Rosemary Hill and another 100,000 tons in Folkston. Somber’s body was found Wednesday afternoon.

http://jacksonville.com/community/my...ng_to_discover

I'll try to find links to where I read those two items.

Has anybody tired to research if any permits have been pulled to repair the house? I have searched Clay county records and found nothing. I am not sure where to look for Town of Orange Park.

Re: Somer's address

Does the family live in an apartment building with one number for all residents?

Beseler credited Sheriff's Office investigator Bruce Owens' suggestion Tuesday that authorities check trash being picked up in Orange Park with the successful effort to find the body. He said Owens came to him with the idea and he assigned personnel to monitor all trash trucks and follow-up by checking out the trash that had been taken from Orange Park to landfills in Green Cove Springs and Folkston.

They were looking through 100 tons of garbage when they discovered the legs. Beseler said if not for Owens' suggestion, it would have been very unlikely that the body would have been recovered and fresh evidence in the case preserved.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi..._on_body_found_in_landfill_matches_dau?page=2

I thought that someone from LE stated in one of the press conferences that they searched through 300,000 tons of garbage, 200,000 at Rosemary Hill and another 100,000 in the Georgia location which is ultimately where they found her. Does anyone else remember this?

GREAT WORK momtective! 2 thoughts: I got the impression that LE notified the waste facilities that they wanted to track the garbage from the neighborhood as it came in- I don't think they just followed the trucks in police cars. If that was the case, waste management might have sent the initial trucks directly to the GA landfill. Just my opinion, but I'd imagine that since the city waste and construction waste are collected separately, its all brought to Rosehill first so it can be combined and sent to GA in bigger trucks. It would save the county money to ship as much as possible in one trip to GA. Or maybe LE notified Rosehill it was interested in the waste from this area, and Rosehill told them which trucks were going to be sent to GA with that waste.

My 2nd thought was perhaps Rosehill is more a "waste management" facility than a landfill- where recycling and special items are separated from the trash and disposed of separately, before the rest of the waste is sent to the ultimate landfill.

Good Morning Lawlady, I heard this last night on HLN and it was a bit confusing to me then. Now reading your post it makes allot of sense, that LE notified Rosehill to not combine the garbage from the trucks coming out of Somer's neighborhood and go on from Rosehill to the landfill in Ga where the trucks could be dumped one by one so each could be searched.

I would also think LE sent cars to Rosehill to make sure this happened and then they probably followed those trucks to the Ga location. In their mind one of these trucks held potential evidence in a missing child case and it would be high priority IMO. xox

ORANGE PARK, Fla. After 7-year-old Somer Thompson vanished on her way home from school, investigators tailed nine garbage trucks from her neighborhood to a Georgia landfill nearly 50 miles away, then picked through the trash as each rig spilled its load.

-----

Searching landfills is common when children disappear, but it is unusual to try to zero in on them more efficiently by tracking a neighborhood's garbage trucks, said Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

----

Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler says authorities discovered the body after one officer suggested they follow the garbage trucks which were making pick-ups at the time. COURTESY: CBS's "The Early Show"Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler says authorities discovered the body after one officer suggested they follow the garbage trucks which were making pick-ups at the time. COURTESY: CBS's "The Early Show"

ETA: linky

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/916/story/763835.html

That's what I'm saying...The trucks from her neighborhood Do Not Go To The Georgia Landfill! They go to Rosehill where the refuse is separated.

Mybe LE had them haul that particular truck to GA landfield. I know my garbage goes striaght from truck to that land field. That particular area garbage did come to my county till our landfield was closed. Now goes to the GA land field.

Also didnt know Amason did garbage too. I know they do the portal potty's.

Re: Somer's address

Does the family live in an apartment building with one number for all residents?

No, they live in a nice middle income home in a nice neighborhood.

Good Morning Lawlady, I heard this last night on HLN and it was a bit confusing to me then. Now reading your post it makes allot of sense, that LE notified Rosehill to not combine the garbage from the trucks coming out of Somer's neighborhood and go on from Rosehill to the landfill in Ga where the trucks could be dumped one by one so each could be searched.

I would also think LE sent cars to Rosehill to make sure this happened and then they probably followed those trucks to the Ga location. In their mind one of these trucks held potential evidence in a missing child case and it would be high priority IMO. xox

BBM - I read somewhere yesterday they were hoping to find her clothes or backpack, etc...FWIW

OK, so Clayton G.....the RSO...

1. Shows up on Somer's Police report (for some unknown reason)
2. On Oct 21/09---Listed as 'missing' or absconded. ??
(according to this article he is 'missing')
http://www.actionnewsjax.com/mostpo...t-October-21-2009/W0nLgboHake_aekvaIaZkA.cspx

3. He lists his place of employment as a place that has been closed for quite some time.

Where in the world did this 'person' go?

This morning he is listed “released – required to register” address 809 Frontier Lane, Bandera, TX.

How can I locate thread #4 from this case?

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90598"]Found Deceased FL-Somer Renee Thompson, age 7, missing from Orange Park, thread #4 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Strange, but someone with LE knew to search that particular landfill. Wonder if there are more than 1 pickup company and multiple landfills, companies using different ones?

The lady I spoke with was positive that all refuse collected whether by private contract or city refuse collectors goes first to Rosehill. It is then separated and sent off accordingly to different places, one being the Ga. landfill where Somer's remains were found.

My question is...Why Wasn't She Found at Rosehill? The only answer I can come up with is that she was never at Rosehill but was instead transported to the landfill by an individual not a company or contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli