FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After 7-year-old Somer Thompson vanished on her way home from school, investigators tailed nine garbage trucks from her neighborhood to a Georgia landfill nearly 50 miles away, then picked through the trash as each rig spilled its load.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091023/ap_on_re_us/us_missing_child

I can almost guarantee you those nine trucks did not go to Georgia! Now maybe they (LE) tailed them to Rosehill and then found out that trash is transferred from rosehill to the GA. landfill...But they (LE) did not follow trucks from Somer's neighborhood to GA.

The lady I spoke with was positive that all refuse collected whether by private contract or city refuse collectors goes first to Rosehill. It is then separated and sent off accordingly to different places, one being the Ga. landfill where Somer's remains were found.

My question is...Why Wasn't She Found at Rosehill? The only answer I can come up with is that she was never at Rosehill but was instead transported to the landfill by an individual not a company or contractor.

Or else maybe LE gave an order for these 9 trucks not to dump at Rosehill and go from there on to Ga where they would be dumped one by one as the garbage from each could be searched.

If the information is not redacted in the record, then would it be a public record?
I'm not a mod, I can only repeat what the rules are as posted earlier by Hoppyfrog.

See her post here:
[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4330542&postcount=1"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased FL-Somer Renee Thompson, 7, Orange Park thread #5[/ame]

If you want this thread to remain open, then do not post any identifying information on innocent people.

The earlier mentioned arrest report with the 3 or 4 guys I believe is fair game PROVIDED the address is removed since we all know who it belongs to.

If I am wrong about that I am sure Hoppy will give me warts and put me on a time out...something I really don't want.

If you are unsure about what you can or cannot post, message a mod. They will say yes or no to your request.

Maz

:cow:

The lady I spoke with was positive that all refuse collected whether by private contract or city refuse collectors goes first to Rosehill. It is then separated and sent off accordingly to different places, one being the Ga. landfill where Somer's remains were found.

My question is...Why Wasn't She Found at Rosehill? The only answer I can come up with is that she was never at Rosehill but was instead transported to the landfill by an individual not a company or contractor.

You must mean prior to le on the scene at Ga. landfill so when would that have been..the first nite?

Somewhere I know I read the trash was transferred to another truck ... but I can't find it now and it doesn't make much sense to me unless it's a huge dump truck type that would hold garbage from several neighborhood trucks?

And maybe LE stopped them from doing that but just had them drive the trucks to the GA landfill?

You must mean prior to le on the scene at Ga. landfill so when would that have been..the first nite?

Hi, I thought she went missing on Monday, LE believes she was put in the dumpster on Tuesday and then she was found on Wed, right?

Or else maybe LE gave an order for these 9 trucks not to dump at Rosehill and go from there on to Ga where they would be dumped one by one as the garbage from each could be searched.

But she was found beneath tons of garbage...seems to me that if they did have the trucks go straight to the GA landfill they would have carefully search each truck one by one...not dumped them one by one.

I can almost guarantee you those nine trucks did not go to Georgia! Now maybe they (LE) tailed them to Rosehill and then found out that trash is transferred from rosehill to the GA. landfill...But they (LE) did not follow trucks from Somer's neighborhood to GA.

I believe the LE officer who was interviewed about the garbage trail indicated that they went through 200,000 tons at Rosemary Hill and 100,000 tons in the Georgia landfill. Perhaps they didn't get to Rosemary Hill on time before some of it was already transferred to GA?

Will try to find the link to his interview.

Somer was found on Wednesday, IIRC.

If the trash was picked up and LE followed from neighborhood, the trash must have been picked up on Wednesday.

Officials say investigators tailed nine garbage trucks from Thompson's Florida neighborhood to a Georgia landfill and then picked through the trash as each rig spilled its load.

They sorted through more than 225 tons of garbage before the little girl's body was found.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/10/23/crimesider/entry5413428.shtml

I think each truck held so much and they searched each truck as it was dumped. I don't know what truck number it was that she was found in.

ETA: I don't think she was under 225 tons of trash. And not 200,000 tons.

Orlando Sentinel also reporting ~225 tons.

After Somer vanished, investigators tailed nine garbage trucks from her neighborhood to the Georgia landfill, then picked through the trash as each rig spilled its load. They sorted through more than 225 tons of garbage before their worst fears were realized: Sticking out of the rubbish were a child's lifeless legs.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/crime/orl-bk-somer-thompson-102309,0,4457766.story

This morning he is listed “released – required to register” address 809 Frontier Lane, Bandera, TX.

Released as in questioned? & if no address near crime I wonder what his reason/excuse was for being so close to it.

Released as in questioned? & if no address near crime I wonder what his reason/excuse was for being so close to it.

I personally think he was working on the house that was burnt. JMO

I might be reposting info but I don't have time to read through all the old threads at the moment.

I read earlier on Fox News.com and now I cant find the article, that they were focusing on a home where they believe she went missing near and they think that is might be the scene of the crime.

Okay, I am off to search for the link. Sorry, if this has already been posted.

Edit to add: I am either going dilusional or they removed that. I specifically read that on Fox News and not it is nowhere to be found. Maybe they were misinformed, so as I now take that as untrue. But I want to leave it here in case someone else read or reads this somewhere.

Okay, I found it - a REVISED version from what I originally read!

Justino says investigators are collecting evidence from a vacant home along that road because the girl was last seen in front of it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569245,00.html?test=latestnews

Here's a link to what Det Bruce Owens said at that press conference.

Detective Bruce Owens said he alerted Beseler that clues could be found in trash from around Orange Park.

"If a truck was seen, it would be best to follow it to its next location, so they could search or follow it to the closest landfill, so they could isolate it from the dump," Owens said.

Owens said he got dozens of deputies and police officers on the road after Somer was reported missing. He said he wanted all garbage trucks checked as quickly as possible.

"Time is of the essence. That collection was being done by outside companies," Owens said.

Dozens of squad cars stayed on the trail of the garbage trucks as they traveled across the state line into Georgia.

"They sifted through about 300,000 tons of waste," Owens said.

About 200,000 tons of trash was searched at a landfill in Clay County, and 100,000 tons was searched at a dump in Folkston, Ga.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/33427532

AS to the trash trucks.
I have seen many different statements, one that it was standard procedure to search the dump.
Another that that officer suggested following them.
Another that the officer said they should follow them as a matter of routine (A statement that made zero sense.)

If anyone could back a reporter or officer into a corner with these statements and make them cough up the truth that would be great.

AS to the trash trucks.
I have seen many different statements, one that it was standard procedure to search the dump.
Another that the officer said they should follow them as a matter of routine (A statement that made zero sense.)

If anyone could back a reporter or officer into a corner with these statements and make them cough up the truth that would be great.

I heard the first report after they had found a body, by the lead detective say that they always did this as a matter of procedure. I wondered then, why they waited to do the search when the trucks were going to the landfill. Why not search the dumpsters and any other garbage immediately? MOO

AS to the trash trucks.

I may be wrong, but from what I gather is:
It is standard procedure to search the dump but the timeing was perfect in this case because they were aware that the garbage would be picked up in the area that day.
I think the suggestion to follow the trucks so that the location in the dump would be narrowed down was a little different than standard procedure.

Does that sound right????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member