FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the vacant house still have regular trash pickup? (I can't see paying for monthly trash pickup when nobody lived there.)

I mean if they had that huge bin there, wouldn't the workers just toss what trash they generated in there?
trash service is always going whether or not someone is living at the home or not. The owner must continue garbage service as long as power is on in the building. Atleast where im from it is like that........jmo

I have had my trash 'denied' pick up due to being overweight!
AND a big red sticker on the side of the can with a warning and to phone the sanitation department.

Posted wrong link.

Time to nap.

http://www.claycountygov.com/Departments/Environmental/curbside_service.htm

Residential garbage must be placed for collection in standard 20-30 gallon cans and may weigh no more than 40 pounds each.

Does this mean the garbage cans are picked up manually and garbage thrown into the truck? I guess that is something a local would have to answer.

Where I'm going with this (have to run out for a bit):

I'm asking because Somer weighed 65 pounds or so. And someone would have had to LIFT that can. And might know by feel if a can was over the limit.

If Somer was found on Wednesday (and that is what I have read) and they followed the trucks from the neighborhood, then the cans were picked up on Wednesday as well.

One might say "Tuesday is trash day" so you remember to put your trash cans out that night???

But if the trash was picked up on Tuesday and brought to Rosehill, did the trucks sit their overnight and they really just followed the trucks from Rosehill?

Color me confused. :) Very. Very.

from what I have heard, the trucks picked up the trash on tuesday, then taken to Rosemary Hill landing, transferred to another truck and delivered to GA landfill on Tuesday, LE was already looking at the trash in GA on Tues, Somer was found on Wed, in Tuesdays trash....LE had them dump it all in a seperate location at the GA landfill, so they could go thru it all

I live outside the city limits, but still in Clay County....our trash pickup is on Mondays...diff day for diff parts of the county....MO

Somer was found on Wednesday, IIRC.

If the trash was picked up and LE followed from neighborhood, the trash must have been picked up on Wednesday.

IIRC, Trash is either picked up Monday and Thursday
or

Tuesday and Friday

Wednesday is usually recyclables and lawn clippings pickup.

I still think that she was taken out of that neighborhood and dumped elsewhere....I have just got to believe with all of LE and volunteers working around the clock on Monday evening, she would have been found if she were in one of the locals trash.....

Not an expert trash person, but I have learned from reading here that they were specifically able to locate where the trash from her neighborhood was dumped in the landfill. I feel that if she had been brought in with the trash from someone else they wouldn't have been able to focus on the one area and find her so quickly (if they did at all).

"Tuesday was trash day in Somer's neighborhood, and it was Detective Bruce Owens' idea to track the garbage trucks to the landfill they use in Folkston, Ga., 48 miles way."

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/916/story/763835.html

It may be different in MO, but in NY you're supposed to put your garbage out the night before trash day because collection starts sometimes as early as 3am on the day of collection. If Tuesday was trash day, the trash would be put out monday night? (Is it different elsewhere?)

Then this would suggest that she was in a regular trash can...not a dumpster. Regular trash day would mean trash collected by City of Orange Park not a private contractor.

Not an expert trash person, but I have learned from reading here that they were specifically able to locate where the trash from her neighborhood was dumped in the landfill. I feel that if she had been brought in with the trash from someone else they wouldn't have been able to focus on the one area and find her so quickly (if they did at all).
when I say somewhere else, I am thinking a mile or two in any direction, somewhere where the local neighbors, and LE were not looking the night she went missing, would still be the same trash service. Maybe like in a 5 mile radius....

Funeral Arrangments for Somer Renee Thompson....

RIP Little Sweet Angel Somer ...

Somer Renee Thompson
FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS:
Viewing from 5 to 8 p.m. Monday at First Baptist Church of Orange Park, 1140 Kingsley Ave. The funeral will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, also at First Baptist of Orange Park. Both will be open to the public. A graveside service and a reception will be open only to invited family and friends.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21389523/detail.html

Please Dear Lord ,,, Give this family, us at ws and Friends the comfort they need at this time .. amen

"Tuesday was trash day in Somer's neighborhood, and it was Detective Bruce Owens' idea to track the garbage trucks to the landfill they use in Folkston, Ga., 48 miles way."

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/916/story/763835.html

It may be different in MO, but in NY you're supposed to put your garbage out the night before trash day because collection starts sometimes as early as 3am on the day of collection. If Tuesday was trash day, the trash would be put out monday night? (Is it different elsewhere?)

Well, ideally that would be the case. I remember growing up, though, that my chore was do take the trash out to the end of our driveway before pickup on Friday mornings. Usually it'd get picked up around 5 or 6 a.m., and they'd say bring it out Thursday nights so it's out in time. I'd usually just do it Friday morning because I procrastinated so long.

In other words... they don't travel around town Monday nights to make sure you're trash is out.. and if it's not out by Monday night they will refuse a Tuesday pickup. I'm sure it's just to ensure that it's out in time. If you wanna get up dark & early, that's up to you (I suppose that's they're attitude).

It'd be hard at any time with all those people searching to bring Somer to a trash can or dumpster... it leads me to believe she was inside/wrapped in something else so you couldn't tell.

I do think all of the trash pick up is contracted out....I could be wrong, but I seem to remember this being done last year...when I say dumpsters, I am talking small ones, not big like the ones at that vacant home....not sure if our contractors have the lift on the reg trucks to dump them or not.....

Then this would suggest that she was in a regular trash can...not a dumpster. Regular trash day would mean trash collected by City of Orange Park not a private contractor.

Where we live the apartment and condo assoc and some business parks have "dumpsters" - they are not regular trash cans. But they are picked up on the same day and the same route as the single family trash cans. Our trucks have an arm on them so that they can pick up either the individual trash cans or the dumpsters.

Usually these are on wheels and are not the type like construction dumpsters that have to be dropped and picked up by a truck.

If this also applies to this area, then she could have been in a "dumpster" but maybe the smaller type used for multi dwelling units and not the large type that are used as in construction.
JMOO

when I say somewhere else, I am thinking a mile or two in any direction, somewhere where the local neighbors, and LE were not looking the night she went missing, would still be the same trash service. Maybe like in a 5 mile radius....

Ah, yes, and that probably is what happened because you'd never be able to carry Somer anywhere with all of those people out searching.

I wonder if the park had a dumpster pick up Tuesday. He could have wrapped her in something and taken her across the street.

it is my understanding that the park was one of the first places checked by LE

"Investigators also searched for evidence in a public restroom at the Orange Park Athletic Association across the street from the house."

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21389523/detail.html

haven't heard this before...
Like I posted earlier, I think that this is odd, considering there were prob close to 1000 people using those bathrooms during the search......who knows, they could have missed something....

After checking out their website
http://www.claycountygov.com/Depart...own_of_Orange_Park_#The_Town_of_Orange_Park_I called the City of Orange Park---Public works and inquired about the types of pick up the do.
They were very kind and provided the information as to what types of pick up they do. The lady stated that they collect local, household refuse, in containers, at the curbside. They also do dumpsters for local businesses But...they do not do construction dumpsters. Construction dumpsters are handled by private contractors hired by the construction site.
All refuse collected, both privately contracted and City works is transported to Rosemary Hill Landfill, in Clay County. Rosemary Hill Landfill http://www.wastemap.org/Facility-Profile.cfm?idsFacility=15 RMH then transports the refuse from Rosemary Hill to Georgia landfill.
Now this really raises the question...if the refuse collection truck that LE followed went first to Rosemary Hill then how in the world did LE know to go to the Ga. landfill site?
In my mind right now, there is no way LE followed a local city refuse collection truck and wound up in Ga. He (LE) would have had to of followed a refuse truck from Rosemary Hill to the Ga. landfill.
I'm really scratching my head on this one.
Also the contractor for the dumpsters at the burned house is "Amason." Going to look for them now.

I remember the issue of Rosemary Hill to Georgia being discussed in one of the first pressers, on Firstcoast.com. I think they said they just transfer refuse through trucks...they don't dump and then pick up. That is where it was said that the trucks used from Rosemary were huge compactor trucks.

I just keep thinking about the side of the street she was walking on, if she was picked up by car, the car would have been heading back towards her school, or turned across the street, into the ball park.....back towards the school, about a mile away over the railroad tracks, is where "McIntosh Ave" is located....I do not think locals were searching over in that neighborhood on the night she went missing, prob just the local area between Wells Rd, Kingsley Ave, Blanding, and the Railroad tracks.....MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member