GUILTY FL - Steven & Michelle Andrews, both 28, murdered, Fort Myers, 27 Dec 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Okay excuse me if I am wrong on this, but the Also, so what if they used the gf to get him to come to the station.

I think that the lawyer could say it was entrapment none of it matters it is just a game once in the hands of the court. The lawyers try everything they can to get it thrown out.

Okay excuse me if I am wrong on this, but the stuff about him not being read his rights while being questioned confused me. I thought they only had to read you your rights if you were arrested. I have been questioned before about what I may or may not know about a theft ring (wrong crowd when younger and I was waaaay on the outside of all that) and my rights were not read. Do they have to read you your rights if you are just being questioned about what you may or may not know? Sounds like LE did the right things here, when they started getting to the meat of things they did read him his rights even though he was still not under arrest. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Also, so what if they used the gf to get him to come to the station.
YOU ARE WRONG!

(I don't know for real. Just felt like saying that.)

it's just a defence strategy to try to get it thrown out, if you are voluntarily at station and volunteering info no Miranda is needed,

it is only if you turn from witness to suspect should they Miranda you,

imo everybody should get a Miranda, it stops all this wanting statements thrown out, cops don't like to Miranda though as many people clam up and get an atty when Mirandised,

imo he was stupid to even give cops a voluntary statement,

but they do have some good hard physical evidence if it was done properly, his DNA on her clothing,

and it is taking forever to even get him to trial, the murders occurred in 2005, I know its a DP case but that is still a very long time

it's just a defence strategy to try to get it thrown out, if you are voluntarily at station and volunteering info no Miranda is needed,

it is only if you turn from witness to suspect should they Miranda you,

imo everybody should get a Miranda, it stops all this wanting statements thrown out, cops don't like to Miranda though as many people clam up and get an atty when Mirandised,

imo he was stupid to even give cops a voluntary statement,

but they do have some good hard physical evidence if it was done properly, his DNA on her clothing,
i prefer my killers stupid so this works for me. :)

me too, and he is even stupider because he had contact with LE prior to the murder, he has been through the system for prior crimes as a juvenile - so he should have known better,

but he thought as they all do that they are smarter than the cops, and they will never be caught or convicted

he will have a long time to ponder his mistakes in prison, it is coming up for 3 years already for him to have concluded that he wasn't as smart as he thought

and it is taking forever to even get him to trial, the murders occurred in 2005, I know its a DP case but that is still a very long time

I agree - a very long time between the crime/arrest & the trial.

According to the latest article I read - after the hearing held in March when Cooper's ex-girlfriend, Kellie, testified - the trial is now set for "July". Yes, this July 2008.

Rum Tum

It is going to be a hotly contested trial, I have seen photos of the little boy taken after the bodies were found and his socks are covered with blood, so the crime scene was changed by the amount of times he walked through it, how horrible it must have been for him, when he could not get either parent to wake up,

and how he got the phone to dial 911 will be an issue,

but the state does have some good evidence, plus a very good motive, as old as time - jealousy and rage that another man was going to get his woman,

Update:

Jury can hear what alleged Gateway killer told detectives

BY PAT GILLESPIE • pgillespie@news-press.com • April 15, 2008

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080415/NEWS0117/804150385/1075

snip

A jury will be able to hear statements accused Gateway murderer Fred Cooper gave to detectives in December 2005, a judge ruled.
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');Lee Circuit Judge Thomas Reese ruled last week that Cooper's two statements to Lee County sheriff's detectives will be admissible at trial, which is scheduled for July 14.

Cooper's attorney, Deputy Public Defender Ken Garber, argued at a hearing last month that Cooper was lured to the sheriff's office by his ex-girlfriend and wasn't read his Miranda rights until 40 minutes into the conversation. Reese ruled neither point moved him to suppress the statements.
"Clearly, the law allows the state to employ deception during the course of questioning," Reese wrote. "The fact that the defendant's girlfriend was used by the police to get him to come to the Sheriff's Department is of no moment."

I always think of Steve & Michelle's little guy & the horror he went thru.

I am glad to hear the trial will begin in July!

Thanks for the link, this trial has been dragging on forever, I hope it does not get delayed again,

I completely understand and support the overly obvious need for Defense attorneys but in situations like this I find them rather despicable. There is DNA evidence linking Cooper to the scene, motive, etc, it is pretty obvious he did this and no doubt his lawyers know that but all they care about it winning and the price society has to pay for that is having a man like Cooper out on the streets. In cases like this, Scott Peterson, OJ Simpson, etc I have always wondered how the DA can sleep at night knowing they are defending and in some cases getting guilty men/women who destroyed other peoples lives and caused irreversable damage and pain off the hook.

It is a shame that because of all the appeals done by the DA it has taken THREE years for this case to go to trial. That is ridiculous. I have always believed that at some point there should be regulations within the judicial system to cut down on the overabundance of delays. There have been some cases that have taken literally ten years to get to trial because of all the pre-trial motions filed by the defendents. Shouldn't there be a line drawn at some point? How unfair for the families of the victims to have to wait and wait and wait while the person standing accused of taking away their loved ones is allowed to delay facing the consequences of their actions over and over. The families cannot delay facing the consequences of the perps actions, they have to live with it every day.

I completely understand and support the overly obvious need for Defense attorneys but in situations like this I find them rather despicable. There is DNA evidence linking Cooper to the scene, motive, etc, it is pretty obvious he did this and no doubt his lawyers know that but all they care about it winning and the price society has to pay for that is having a man like Cooper out on the streets. In cases like this, Scott Peterson, OJ Simpson, etc I have always wondered how the DA can sleep at night knowing they are defending and in some cases getting guilty men/women who destroyed other peoples lives and caused irreversable damage and pain off the hook.

It is a shame that because of all the appeals done by the DA it has taken THREE years for this case to go to trial. That is ridiculous. I have always believed that at some point there should be regulations within the judicial system to cut down on the overabundance of delays. There have been some cases that have taken literally ten years to get to trial because of all the pre-trial motions filed by the defendents. Shouldn't there be a line drawn at some point? How unfair for the families of the victims to have to wait and wait and wait while the person standing accused of taking away their loved ones is allowed to delay facing the consequences of their actions over and over. The families cannot delay facing the consequences of the perps actions, they have to live with it every day.

G227- I mean no disrespect, but I believe you mean the apd, as in asisstant public defender, as opposed to the DA, who would of course be proescuting this case, not defending it. I mention it only as a point of clarification- unless I am incorrect in your meaning as I am new to this thread. Regardless, I completely agreee our system does a better job protecting criminals, I say respectfully, it is better than most, but certainly not perfect.

The evidence is not clear cut. At least not any evidence that has been released. Any number of people could have committed this crime. It is not cut and dried, perhaps that is why the long time to trial. The defence attorney's (pd's) don't have the luxery of the LE budgets. Just a thought.

The evidence is not clear cut. At least not any evidence that has been released. Any number of people could have committed this crime. It is not cut and dried, perhaps that is why the long time to trial. The defence attorney's (pd's) don't have the luxery of the LE budgets. Just a thought.
If the evidence is not clear cut, I would think that the accused would want a speedy trial. Why on earth would he (and his lawyer) want him to spend three years in prison if there were a good chance of his being found not guilty? That doesn't make sense to me at all.

Unfortunately, Fred Cooper is the one with the biggest motive. Heck, Fred's girlfriend left their home to meet up with Steve and have sex with him. She was pressuring Steve to leave his wife. They had plans to move in together after the holidays. Where would that leave Fred and his mother?

I think Fred acted in a fit of rage. His motorcycle was seen at a gas station near Steve's home that evening. Fred destroyed his jacket before it was found by detectives. Why would he do that??

Many of Fred's actions were that of a guilty person.

The saddest thing is that countless lives were ruined because of his manipulative girlfriend, Kelley Ballew. I feel certain that if Fred could do it all over again, he would never have committed this crime. However, what is done is done.

I don't know the evidence either. He may be found guilty, or he may walk. However, it's high time that this trial begin to give the victims' families some type of closure. It's unfair to continue to drag this on any longer.

G227- I mean no disrespect, but I believe you mean the apd, as in asisstant public defender, as opposed to the DA, who would of course be proescuting this case, not defending it. I mention it only as a point of clarification- unless I am incorrect in your meaning as I am new to this thread. Regardless, I completely agreee our system does a better job protecting criminals, I say respectfully, it is better than most, but certainly not perfect.

Yes - that is exactly what I mean! Thank you for correcting me. I was thinking Defense Attorney - DA. I feel a little ashamed- my dad's a judge, a brother who actually works for the public defenders office, you would think I would have my facts straight.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back