Found Deceased FL - Tammy Alexander, 16, Brooksville, 8 Nov 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The resemblance is there.

A lot of those women weren't killed, so it's also possible that Tammy, if that is her, was just one of the women he picked up for a photo shoot and then let go.

That girl is definitely not Tammy Jo.

IIRC, that girl in the photo has been identified, She came forward shortly after the photos were publicized, and identified herself as someone who lived in the Monterey Park neighborhood near where Alcala's parents lived.

Hello everyone,
It's been quite a while since I've kept up with the old Tammy/Cali thread, and I just came across this one. I have a bit of a request for you guys. I recently listened to the 'Finding Tammy Jo' podcast and thoroughly enjoyed it but it got me thinking about whether other podcasts would be willing to spread her story. On a whim I reached out to Casefile on Twitter to see if they would do an episode on Tammy (if you listen to casefile, you know their following is huge and their research team is incredible - if you don't listen to Casefile, I really recommend them) and they responded! I think their audience is an inquisitive bunch and that kind of exposure can only help.
My request is simple, head over to twitter and share my pinned tweet and like their response, let them know there's an audience that wants to hear this story!
Best,
Ash

I am having trouble posting a screen grab of the tweet so here is my handle (@ashleywho_) the tweet is pinned, and you can find there response underneath.

Hello everyone,
It's been quite a while since I've kept up with the old Tammy/Cali thread, and I just came across this one. I have a bit of a request for you guys. I recently listened to the 'Finding Tammy Jo' podcast and thoroughly enjoyed it but it got me thinking about whether other podcasts would be willing to spread her story. On a whim I reached out to Casefile on Twitter to see if they would do an episode on Tammy (if you listen to casefile, you know their following is huge and their research team is incredible - if you don't listen to Casefile, I really recommend them) and they responded! I think their audience is an inquisitive bunch and that kind of exposure can only help.
My request is simple, head over to twitter and share my pinned tweet and like their response, let them know there's an audience that wants to hear this story!
Best,
Ash

I am having trouble posting a screen grab of the tweet so here is my handle (@ashleywho_) the tweet is pinned, and you can find there response underneath.

I don't tweet. Keep in mind that they may need her sister Pamela's consent to do the episode. I think Finding Tammy Jo had to get her consent.

I don't tweet. Keep in mind that they may need her sister Pamela's consent to do the episode. I think Finding Tammy Jo had to get her consent.
I don't think they would have to get her sister's consent--freedom of the press, and all that--but they might do it as a courtesy. I don't think they'd have any trouble getting it, at any rate.

I don't think they would have to get her sister's consent--freedom of the press, and all that--but they might do it as a courtesy. I don't think they'd have any trouble getting it, at any rate.

You can easily ask Gary Craig on Twitter why they and Crime Watch Daily needed Pamela's ok

the family of 1944 US presidential candidate Thomas Dewey and the family of Titanic officer Murdoch both bitterly complained when they found they had no legal way of fighting back when Hollywood slandered their deceased loved ones.

No one is going to slander Tammy. And Dewey and Murdoch-those people lived long ago and I am sure laws have changed. I have never heard of podcasts or shows needing family permission to discuss murder victims.

This struck me as odd. I'm speculating that Mr. Maglio wrote this piece as a "review"(?) or as "publicity" for a new business. In either case, I'm not clear on why a reference to TJA's disappearance/murder would be called out. I mean, it's not like that would have been in his background since he would have only been about three years old at the time it occurred.

https://hernandosun.com/Kevin's_Way_Station_20170505

This struck me as odd. I'm speculating that Mr. Maglio wrote this piece as a "review"(?) or as "publicity" for a new business. In either case, I'm not clear on why a reference to TJA's disappearance/murder would be called out. I mean, it's not like that would have been in his background since he would have only been about three years old at the time it occurred.

https://hernandosun.com/Kevin's_Way_Station_20170505

Same person that wrote this piece on Tammy Jo, both contain errors. I think publicity for the place is why he did it

"...Tammy Jo’s murder was not the only murder linked to the truck stop."

https://hernandosun.com/two_murders_many_links_20170121

As I recall, in 2016 there was some DNA testing done on male DNA found on Alexander's clothing(?)... the jacket, I believe. Apparently, it was tested against three(?) people she knew. I think that there was no match.

Might the DNA sample found on the clothing be appropriate to run through an open-source DNA database (GEDmatch, for example, was the key to the Golden State Killer matter)?

Thoughts?

As I recall, in 2016 there was some DNA testing done on male DNA found on Alexander's clothing(?)... the jacket, I believe. Apparently, it was tested against three(?) people she knew. I think that there was no match.

Might the DNA sample found on the clothing be appropriate to run through an open-source DNA database (GEDmatch, for example, was the key to the Golden State Killer matter)?

Thoughts?
LOL-- Just came here to get caught up and ask this very same question!! Also, I just asked the podcast host from the Democrat and Chronicle in Rochester if he has any knowledge about it. Fingers CROSSED!!

I recently was aware of the Tammy Jo Alexander. I keep wondering why someone would shoot an innocent young teen. I read that she informed her friend Laurel(?-name) around May of 1979 that she was leaving in September. I also read that she was a waitress at her parents truck stop. The poor girl was murdered on November 8 or 9, 1979.
One scenario, that I thought of, was that she saved her money before leaving Florida and when they were in the restaurant, he saw her savings. When they left he robbed her. According to law enforcement, her pockets were inside
out.
When I was that age I did not carry an Id until I obtained my driver license permit.
I hope that they catch her killer.
Like I mentioned, I keep wondering.
Sincerely, Dan

I recently was aware of the Tammy Jo Alexander. I keep wondering why someone would shoot an innocent young teen. I read that she informed her friend Laurel(?-name) around May of 1979 that she was leaving in September. I also read that she was a waitress at her parents truck stop. The poor girl was murdered on November 8 or 9, 1979.
One scenario, that I thought of, was that she saved her money before leaving Florida and when they were in the restaurant, he saw her savings. When they left he robbed her. According to law enforcement, her pockets were inside
out.
When I was that age I did not carry an Id until I obtained my driver license permit.
I hope that they catch her killer.
Like I mentioned, I keep wondering.
Sincerely, Dan
Robbery is a definite possibility. I'm from the Detroit area, and in Detroit, it isn't unusual for someone to be murdered for a twenty-dollar bill or for a pair of Payless shoes, so her savings wouldn't have had to be substantial.

This is me just putting forward some ideas as I am not sure about this (I understand they have DNA in Tammy's case). I am going to post the composite sketch of the suspect in this case and the Connecticut River Valley Killer in what I call his glasses disguise for comparison:

220px-Cali_Doe_person_of_interest.jpg

Murder of Tammy Alexander - Wikipedia

52393814146321381.jpg

Connecticut River Valley Killer - The Full Wiki

This is from November 2018, but I had not seen it before, so I thought I'd share it here.

"The girl in the cornfield: Teen's murder near Rochester in 1979 remains unsolved"

The girl in the cornfield: Teen's murder near Rochester in 1979 remains unsolved - NY Daily News

Fourty years this year. Five years since identification & billboards. Three years since DNA testing of three people.

So I copied the article to post on her page and it's already there. I guess we didn't post it here

Last edited:
While the unidentified girl known as "Cali" was eventually identified through DNA as Tammy Jo Alexander in 2015, her killer has remained unidentified.

It is good to see that her case has gained so much attention on this site and certainly everyone who has posted and thought about her was instrumental in the resolution of her identity and the continuing search for her killer.

Here is a link to the original Websleuths "Unidentified" thread. Perhaps something in it will help lead to her killer(s):

Match! - NY - Caledonia, WhtFem 1UFNY, 13-19, Turquoise Necklace, Nov'79 *Tammy Alexander*

Among the bothersome (to me) aspects of this is the mother's obituary... wherein Tammy Jo Alexander is represented as deceased. I understand there's denial about how that came to be. Maybe the denial is legitimate. Maybe it is not legitimate.

Another point that I struggle with is that Tammy Jo Alexander was (presumably) attending school at the time she left Florida. Did she have a locker there? If so, I'd imagine that there was 'stuff' inside, no? What happened to that stuff? When she no longer arrived at school what did the school do?... nothing?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321
Back