Found Deceased FL - Tammy Alexander, 16, Brooksville, 8 Nov 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Among the bothersome (to me) aspects of this is the mother's obituary... wherein Tammy Jo Alexander is represented as deceased. I understand there's denial about how that came to be. Maybe the denial is legitimate. Maybe it is not legitimate....

Obituaries can often give good information, especially when written by a close family member. And in the case of a missing relative, they might give an indication of how the family feels regarding the disappearance without solid resolution. If the relative went missing recently, maybe Hope that they are still living would be reflected in their being described as a survivor. If years have gone by with no word, perhaps the family has come to accept that they died. Each case is different, as is the view taken by each family - but you cannot draw conclusions on the case itself from what an obituary says.

Also, be aware that some on-line "obituaries" are being written up by persons NOT associated with the family, and only drawing on information found on a headstone or in a funeral notice. These are usually very short and obvious, but sometimes contain errors and assumptions by the writer.

Obituaries can often give good information, especially when written by a close family member. And in the case of a missing relative, they might give an indication of how the family feels regarding the disappearance without solid resolution. If the relative went missing recently, maybe Hope that they are still living would be reflected in their being described as a survivor. If years have gone by with no word, perhaps the family has come to accept that they died. Each case is different, as is the view taken by each family - but you cannot draw conclusions on the case itself from what an obituary says.

Also, be aware that some on-line "obituaries" are being written up by persons NOT associated with the family, and only drawing on information found on a headstone or in a funeral notice. These are usually very short and obvious, but sometimes contain errors and assumptions by the writer.
Oh, exactly. No "conclusion" should be inferred from my comments. That is not at all what I meant to convey.

Realtive to the suggestion that after a period of time a family may "consider" (without proof) someone to be deceased is not - from what I understand - relevant here. There are many comments that at least one family member 'pictured' Tammy Jo Alexander as being alive. Further, I've seen nothing that when the high school friend went searching she was told (with even a suggestion) that TJA was thought to be deceased.

So, I agree, it is dependent on the author of the notice. The apparent anonymity of that is interesting too.

Again, I draw no "conclusion" whatsoever. I think it is a worthy matter to consider along with any/everything else.

See Tammy's FB page for a piece that was shown on the local news WHEC last week called inside the evidence

1979 Caledonia NY Jane Doe Identified As Tammy Jo Alexander
Saw that. It's taken me this long to 'digest' the report.

I believe 100% that a public broadcast was long overdue to ensure that awareness of TJA doesn't evaporate. I was, however, a bit disappointed in the report content. I was also disappointed in the detective's rather ambiguous comments... though I realize that could possibly have been tainted by editing, and therefore not representative.

The so-called newly released "evidence" (the yearbook message)... was that supposed to be relevant to the investigation, or just a human interest element? If it was important, the reporter should have told us why... probably via a question/answer with the detective.

The detectives statement that 'hopefully maybe someday they'll get enough evidence to maybe prove' who did it, was - IMO - far too casual, obvious, and vague. There was no comment about any contemporary activity to solve this murder. And no comment that the investigation is stalled/stuck. So, who knows? Do investigators want anything from the public?... if so, create some focus. Sure, they want "any information"... but there are always some aspects that'd be more of interest than others. Tell us of what you want us be particularly mindful. Seems like the important stuff is what TJA was wearing... if so, say so.

So much more could have been done with three minutes.

I'm glad Tammy's case is brought back up, it never hurts to remind people her killer still walks free.

I'm almost positive the yearbook message has been talked about in the podcast by Gary and Veronica.

I wish they would do profiles with the DNA on the jacket. We have the technology to have a photo made from it so why not do that unless they don't have enough DNA to do it

I'm glad Tammy's case is brought back up, it never hurts to remind people her killer still walks free.

I'm almost positive the yearbook message has been talked about in the podcast by Gary and Veronica.

I wish they would do profiles with the DNA on the jacket. We have the technology to have a photo made from it so why not do that unless they don't have enough DNA to do it
First, yes, keeping this "in the face" of the public is great!

I don't recall prior comment about this yearbook message. But, whether there was or not, the report(s) should clarify its importance (if any).

The jacket and the DNA - While I respect that full disclosure by law enforcement may not be acceptable/reasonable, there *seems* to be a disconnect between comments about the jacket. It's said that there are two (non-WNY) persons of interest. It's also said that the male jacket DNA may be that of the killer. Does the DNA match either of the two? I'd also like to know about the characteristics of the jacket promotion. There are also various iterations of the jacket manufacturers name... what is the exact name of the manufacturer? What is the status of that firm?

Giving this case a bump, This case was of course quite a big story with LE keeping the memory of Tammy alive and an amateur sleuth who may even have been a member of this site helping to identify her. As of yet there appears to have been no identification of the offender though:

Inside the Evidence: Tammy Jo Alexander's message from beyond the grave

Yep. I have a lot of respect for what LE has done in this case. However, with all due respect to those folks, I'd like to hear a more substantive update (presumably, from the Livingston County Sheriff and FBI). Something more progressive than simply 'this is an open case and we're accepting any tips the public would like to give.' Though the void of a dynamic update may be intentional, it can be construed as rest. I'd like to also see some clarity brought to the (seeming) disparity and/or ambiguousness about several comments of LE (and others). Again, maybe these conditions are calculated. I do not get the impression that LE - in this case at least - are progressively utilizing the tools of 2019 as comprehensively as they could. Again, there is no disrespect intended in what I have stated. I absolutely believe that everyone (well, except maybe one person) would like to see "solved" stamped across this file.

Forty years is days away. Seems as though this case is (again) cold as ice, no? I passed the site last weekend. Snow covered and frozen. Coulda heard a pin drop. Was this the perfect crime/murder?

Forty years is days away. Seems as though this case is (again) cold as ice, no? I passed the site last weekend. Snow covered and frozen. Coulda heard a pin drop. Was this the perfect crime/murder?
If the perp left usable nuclear DNA that can still be collected, or if the perp was someone Tammy knew, then the case might be solved. However, the perp was probably some low-life alcoholic/junkie truck driver who gave Tammy a lift (and there's a good chance he's dead by now).

If the perp left usable nuclear DNA that can still be collected, or if the perp was someone Tammy knew, then the case might be solved. However, the perp was probably some low-life alcoholic/junkie truck driver who gave Tammy a lift (and there's a good chance he's dead by now).
Yup. As I understand it, there is DNA available. I'm no DNA guru, so I cannot even guess about how usable - or not - it may be. But it was supposedly enough to compare to three(?) persons of interest.

Even of the perpetrator were deceased, an agreement to crowdsource the DNA sample against, say, 23&me or Ancestry, etc might be valuable in this (and similar) cases.

Still, the silence is quite telling.

As a resident of NYS, I can tell you that from all outward appearances, the powers that be in Albany are really only concerned about crimes against the state.

That isn't to say there aren't good people, and good police, judges, lawyers. Rather the politicos, and the political appointees, live in a vacuum.

Parabon, will never be certified in NYS, unless the pressure from the public is just overwhelming. Or, there is a big payday for someone.

I live less than 30 miles from where they found Tammy. This story used to run on the news every year, around the anniversary of her being found.

It was disturbing, and disappointing to watch the news coverage. Very few outlets gave credit to the folks who actually figured this out. Neither of whom were law enforcement.

A long lost friend, and a dedicated volunteer were the ones that sorted this out.

Thanks. No way he killed her and I'm sure LE know the date ahe was last seen so the BF is wrong

I agree with you that it was unlikely to be Lucas although I am not part of any official investigation so do not know all the dates. I would like to see the Connecticut River Valley Killer eliminated as a suspect because it might be possible he struck in New York State and even into Canada. He also used a glasses disguise in the murder where he entered a victims home. It might not be him of course and LE have to keep an open mind. Cheers.

Hard for me to imagine that there isn't any segment of the recording that couldn't be released. This would be exactly the type of thing that would call widespread attention to the case/mystery. I've speculated previously that the tools of 2020 do not seem to be being fully utilized. Silence does not bring multi-region large scale lead generation. [And, let's face it, it'd be a hard claim to make that LE doesn't need leads.]

I wonder if LE is already virtually certain they know the killers identity/s?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back