Found Deceased FL - Tammy Alexander, 16, Brooksville, 8 Nov 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:sorry:

One more post...

Vaughn Bryant Uses Pollen to Pinpoint Where a Victim has Been and Maybe Solve a Crime
June 28, 2016

Snipped...

Read more: http://www.houstonpress.com/news/va...ctim-has-been-and-maybe-solve-a-crime-8519184

Thanks so much! I shared it on Cali's page yesterday but didn't get to read it till this morning. Long article but worth the read. It's about Vaughn Bryant, who tested the pollen on Cali/Tammy's clothes back in 2006, he came to the conclusion she was most likely from Southern Florida or Northern California. For the past 40 years, has almost single-handedly pioneered Forensic Palynology in the United States from his lab at Texas A&M University. He has terminal prostate cancer, he was trying to research where to go to get help/ treatment but his cancer spread. Reminds me so much of my beloved dad who passed from terminal AML Leukemia in 2006 after it returned, it took so long to test us for stem cells that by the time they harvested stem cells for transplant, it was too late.

He talks about how forensic pollen work has never taken off in the US because of the chain of command and not being able to prove that an item the samples were taken from were not disturbed after being bagged. Forensic pollen work is used in New Zealand and the United Kingdom for court cases but not here.

He trained Andy Laurence who is the only full-time Forensic Palynologist in the country. Laurence tested Boston Baby Doe's (Bella Bond) items, Vaughn was ill, but assisted on the analysis. Their report pinpointed pollen from two types of cedar trees that grow at the Boston Arboretum and said that the child must have lived nearby. When ID'd, it came out that she lived 2 blocks from the Arboretum. Unfortunately, the pollen evidence wasn't used in the trials against her mother or boy friend which could have been a huge victory to start using pollen evidence in court.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) has been advocating the use of forensic pollen analysis in certain cases for more than a year now, hopefully it will start catching on, but with Vaughn terminal he believes his pollen laboratory at Texas A&M will be closed. He doesn't know what will happen to all of his samples and the work he has built up since he started around 1975. I personally hope someone wants it because I feel that after he's gone, the US will start trying cases with pollen evidence. Unfortunately he won't be able to see his legacy, but hopefully his wife and any children, grandchildren will.

I'm praying for you Vaughn. Praying you go like my dad did without suffering. I don't know if there is any treatment that could possibly change his terminal outcome, but I'm praying someone sees this article and suggests one. Thank you so much for your life's work, what you did for our beloved Cali and for teaching others such as Andy Laurence and Sophie Warny. I'm praying your students will be able to start using pollen evidence in court.

We don't know who provided the information for the obituary. Tammy's sister Pamela insists that she did not. Barbara Jenkins (Tammy and Pamela's mother) had two living brothers at the time of her death, so perhaps they provided that information.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=qPwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1389,474881&hl=en

I just read back through this case and just wanted to thank everyone who helped identify Tammy Jo. It really is an amazing case and a lot of work from lots of people here.

Thank you all for the wonderful work you all do on these cold cases and UID people. It really is amazing. THANK YOU ALL.

BTW I too think people in Tammys family tried to file a missing person report and what I suspect happened is LE took the report and it may have gotten purged over time. They may have classified it as a possible runaway and maybe when the case got over 10 years old or so they may have purged it if there were no new updates. There could have been different processes back then that allowed it to be purged. Just a guess.

I searched but didn't see this link posted before fwiw...

Somers filmmaker seeks funds for murder mystery
April 29, 2016

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/somers/articles/somers-filmmaker-seeks-funds-for-murder-mystery-d

I sent the Vaughn Bryant article over to the documentary maker. He's going to try to get an interview ASAP. I've been doing what ever I can to help Tammy's story be as accurate and as neutral (regarding the MP report) as it can be. I send things every time I see something that would help. Hopefully the doc maker will impact whatever time Vaughn has left like my dads friends did for him. He was on a rescue squad since the early 70's, they set up a lunch that almost didn't happen because he didn't get discharged when he should have. I didn't know if the Dr would give him a day pass, but the Dr did. We had learned his cancer was back, were trying to get tested for stem cells; he was at a very low point. He couldn't believe so many showed up to honor him. I hope that this will do the same for Vaughn. He played an important roll in Cali's life. It's funny that he did the testing in 2006 because my dad passed 2/6/06.

Vaughn Bryant Uses Pollen to Pinpoint Where a Victim has Been and Maybe Solve a Crime June 28, 2016

Thanks so much! I shared it on Cali's page yesterday but didn't get to read it till this morning. Long article but worth the read. It's about Vaughn Bryant, who tested the pollen on Cali/Tammy's clothes back in 2006, he came to the conclusion she was most likely from Southern Florida or Northern California. For the past 40 years, has almost single-handedly pioneered Forensic Palynology in the United States from his lab at Texas A&M University. He has terminal prostate cancer, he was trying to research where to go to get help/ treatment but his cancer spread. Reminds me so much of my beloved dad who passed from terminal AML Leukemia in 2006 after it returned, it took so long to test us for stem cells that by the time they harvested stem cells for transplant, it was too late.

He talks about how forensic pollen work has never taken off in the US because of the chain of command and not being able to prove that an item the samples were taken from were not disturbed after being bagged. Forensic pollen work is used in New Zealand and the United Kingdom for court cases but not here.

He trained Andy Laurence who is the only full-time Forensic Palynologist in the country. Laurence tested Boston Baby Doe's (Bella Bond) items, Vaughn was ill, but assisted on the analysis. Their report pinpointed pollen from two types of cedar trees that grow at the Boston Arboretum and said that the child must have lived nearby. When ID'd, it came out that she lived 2 blocks from the Arboretum. Unfortunately, the pollen evidence wasn't used in the trials against her mother or boy friend which could have been a huge victory to start using pollen evidence in court.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) has been advocating the use of forensic pollen analysis in certain cases for more than a year now, hopefully it will start catching on, but with Vaughn terminal he believes his pollen laboratory at Texas A&M will be closed. He doesn't know what will happen to all of his samples and the work he has built up since he started around 1975. I personally hope someone wants it because I feel that after he's gone, the US will start trying cases with pollen evidence. Unfortunately he won't be able to see his legacy, but hopefully his wife and any children, grandchildren will.

I'm praying for you Vaughn. Praying you go like my dad did without suffering. I don't know if there is any treatment that could possibly change his terminal outcome, but I'm praying someone sees this article and suggests one. Thank you so much for your life's work, what you did for our beloved Cali and for teaching others such as Andy Laurence and Sophie Warny. I'm praying your students will be able to start using pollen evidence in court.

certainly looks like someone probably got away (so far)with more than one murder , although its probably a really good dumping area that's darn close!

FBI Offers $20K for Tip that Solves Tammy Jo Alexander Murder by CONRAD BAKER - 08/08/2016

LIVINGSTON COUNTY – The Federal Bureau of Investigation is offering a cash reward for any reliable information that will solve the murder of Tammy Jo Alexander.

FBI Special Agent in Charge Adam Cohen said that the FBI will offer up to $20,000 for any information that leads to identifying Alexander’s killer.

“We won’t stop. As you’ve seen, our work has never stopped,” said Cohen. “Our work continues, and we’ll come here over and over again asking that you help us keep Tammy Jo’s memory alive and relevant. As we’ve seen over these many years, this is a joint investigation. It’s been law enforcement and communitites from across the country coming together to get us where we are today. Please let’s not stop.”

Tips can be sent to the Sheriff’s Office at 1-844-THE-LCSO (1-844-843-5276) or sent to the FBI at www.fbi.gov.

Schneider said that one of the gaps that remains in the investigation is a timeline of exactly when Alexander left Florida in 1979 and what happened between then and when her body was discovered in Caledonia.

“We have put small pieces of that puzzle together, and that’s where we’re looking for continued answers from the general pubic,” said Schneider. “We can’t put a definitive timeline as to when she left Florida and how long it took her to get here to New York State. We’re looking for the public to hopefully help us fill in some of those blanks.”
“I do have a close relationship with some of the family members and we do speak on a regular basis,” said Schneider. “They continue to thank us for everything that we’ve done over the years and everything that we continue to do, and we’re as hopeful as we are that we will be able to find who did this and hold them ultimately responsible for what they’ve done.”

Video at link - FBI Offering Reward in Tammy Jo Alexander Homicide Investigation - By Web Staff - Monday, August 8, 2016 at 09:59 AM EDT

GENESEO, N.Y. -- The FBI has put forth a $20,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the Tammy Jo Alexander cold case.

Alexander, a Florida native, died in 1979, and was found on Nov. 9, 1979, by a farmer and his son in a field just off Route 20 in Caledonia.

Was just coming to post the article I seen about this new reward.

Such a sad thing that this family never reported her missing. Amazing that a friend of hers, after all this time, is the one who reported it. Her family should be ashamed of themselves. No matter what she was doing as a teen, she deserved for her life to matter. Not to be thrown away...twice. Once by her killer and then by her family that didn't give a crap that she was gone. She was still a minor. Now days, thanks to Casey Anthony, it is a felony to not report your minor child missing.

Such a sad thing that this family never reported her missing. Amazing that a friend of hers, after all this time, is the one who reported it. Her family should be ashamed of themselves. No matter what she was doing as a teen, she deserved for her life to matter. Not to be thrown away...twice. Once by her killer and then by her family that didn't give a crap that she was gone. She was still a minor. Now days, thanks to Casey Anthony, it is a felony to not report your minor child missing.

We really don't know whether they did or didn't report her missing. Before the internet, a lot of missing person reports were lost, destroyed, or purged. We'll never know for sure if she was ever reported missing.

We really don't know whether they did or didn't report her missing. Before the internet, a lot of missing person reports were lost, destroyed, or purged. We'll never know for sure if she was ever reported missing.

Thanks Jake
I find it hard to believe she wasn't reported. Her sister said she was on probation all records were lost. They we're told there was a report somewhere and everyone has to remember her mother is long deceased, her sistr and cousins do not deserve the treatment they get.

Thanks Jake
I find it hard to believe she wasn't reported. Her sister said she was on probation all records were lost. They we're told there was a report somewhere and everyone has to remember her mother is long deceased, her sistr and cousins do not deserve the treatment they get.

You bring up an important point. She was on probation. As a minor, she was a ward of the court, and as such, the probation officer is responsible for periodically checking up on her. If he/she can't account for her whereabouts, then it is the responsibility of the probation officer to file a missing person report, and notify the local authorities.

If there was not a missing person report on file, they can't point their finger at the parents, because is the probation officer's job to keep track of her and to report her missing if he/she dones't know where she is.

You bring up an important point. She was on probation. As a minor, she was a ward of the court, and as such, the probation officer is responsible for periodically checking up on her. If he/she can't account for her whereabouts, then it is the responsibility of the probation officer to file a missing person report, and notify the local authorities.

If there was not a missing person report on file, they can't point their finger at the parents, because is the probation officer's job to keep track of her and to report her missing if he/she dones't know where she is.

Thanks for helping me clarify Carl; I have pneumonia so am not feeling well. Of course her prbation records are long lost. I personally believe her mother reported her to someone and feel its unfair Pamela and her cousins are getting the backlash. I'm making sure I pass what I can t the documentary maker so that he can address this. Too bad her mother can't tell her side

Murder doesn't happen in a vacuum, pray the reward gets someone to talk about what they know.

You can go to Cali's FB page and read, there are many comments from family as well as articles and videos such as this one

[video=youtube;GMjmzZw7iGg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMjmzZw7iGg[/video]

No matter how many times Hernando Sheriff says there was no paper report, I will never believe it because she was on probation. I'm not sure how they do things there or if there is a local town police department, possible it was there. All we know now is her mother is deceased and the probation records are gone.

If you've been following the case closely you'll also know at one time a Livingston County police officer relocated to Tammy's town, I believe in 1980. It's said he hung up fliers in her town back then. If family or friends did see it, they didn't recognize the image as being Tammy for some reason. It's just really mind blowing how she was missed to be identified back then.

Tammy Jo Alexander's family is disputing claims their family never filed a missing person report - By Jacqueline Ingles posted 5:04 PM, Jan 27, 2015 - updated 5:20 PM, Jan 27, 2015
Tammy's family gathered at Church of God in Dade City to address the allegations.

"Beyond a shadow of a doubt there was a report," said Pamela Dyson, Tammy's sister.

Tammy's family came under fire Monday afternoon when 36 years after her disappearance, DNA provided by Dyson matched a Jane Doe body found in a Livingston County cornfield on November 10, 1979.

The former sheriff of the county stated the family blamed Tammy's family for identification taking three decades....

..Tammy's family says not only did they make a missing person report but they recall deputies coming to their home and taking Tammy's hairbrush to use for DNA comparisons...

..Still, Dyson says her parents were constantly updating her siblings, all of which no longer lived at home, about Tammy's disappearance. It was a topic that would frequently come up during family reunions, according to Dyson...

Dyson said she trusted her mother and stepfather when they said they filed a report and did not follow up personally because she felt it was 'being handled.'..

"Maybe it is my naive status, but to me, when you file a report and over the years, you are given updates by your mother and your stepfather, you feel it is being handled and taken care of. You have your faith in the law enforcement that they are doing their job. They will contact you when something is found out," Dyson explained.

Wonder if the old Eclipse website was right in their assertion that the killer is a local. A very protected local.

You can go to Cali's FB page and read, there are many comments from family as well as articles and videos such as this one

[video=youtube;GMjmzZw7iGg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMjmzZw7iGg[/video]

No matter how many times Hernando Sheriff says there was no paper report, I will never believe it because she was on probation. I'm not sure how they do things there or if there is a local town police department, possible it was there. All we know now is her mother is deceased and the probation records are gone.

If you've been following the case closely you'll also know at one time a Livingston County police officer relocated to Tammy's town, I believe in 1980. It's said he hung up fliers in her town back then. If family or friends did see it, they didn't recognize the image as being Tammy for some reason. It's just really mind blowing how she was missed to be identified back then.

Tammy Jo Alexander's family is disputing claims their family never filed a missing person report - By Jacqueline Ingles posted 5:04 PM, Jan 27, 2015 - updated 5:20 PM, Jan 27, 2015

I just want to point out that there was no DNA test back in the 70' or 80's.

I just want to point out that there was no DNA test back in the 70' or 80's.

Yes, she misspoke. She meant they collected tammy's hairbrush for microscopic hair comparison to UID hair samples. They did do that in the 70's.

USA Today has a page dedicated to Cold Case podcasts, Finding Tammy Jo is listed. If you have not heard the Finding Tammy Jo podcast, now is your chance to listen. It's highly recommended. Gary Craig and Veronica Volk did a wonderful job telling Tammy Jo's story. I had never heard a podcast before so didn't know what to expect but was very pleased. I'd love to go back and listen to fill some of the story in.

Finding Tammy Jo Podcast links, in case the USA today link doesn't work. It isn't working on my ipad but works on my computer, no clue what's up

The podcast can be accessed at findingtammyjo which is pretty easy to remember http://findingtammyjo.com/

Democrat and Chronicle

iTunes

Sound Cloud

Stitcher

USA Today Cold Case Podcast

I don't remember the podcast saying anything about the supposed last sighting in Fl, on or the day after her birthday. Do we know that sighting took place, where was it and is it safe to say she likely wasn't living at her moms in the days leading up to that sighting?

aaand the other trouble mentioned after they got back from their cross country excursion, the trouble with LE that the friend spent time in detention for but but Tammy did not, yes that trouble. Along with wanting to know what that was about I'm also wondering if it could have had some connection to her murder.

Also, I really do not understand the stone throwing towards the family. If the parents or guardians were still with us perhaps it could be somewhat justified but throwing them at this point only adds to the the pain of the remaining members. The sheriffs tone was particularly disgusting.

The impression I get is of broken homes, half siblings, chronic runaways, a less than stellar home life and a seemingly fearless fifteen year old who was ready to see what the world had to offer. That fearlessness likely cost her though.

I don't remember the podcast saying anything about the supposed last sighting in Fl, on or the day after her birthday. Do we know that sighting took place, where was it and is it safe to say she likely wasn't living at her moms in the days leading up to that sighting?

aaand the other trouble mentioned after they got back from their cross country excursion, the trouble with LE that the friend spent time in detention for but but Tammy did not, yes that trouble. Along with wanting to know what that was about I'm also wondering if it could have had some connection to her murder.

Also, I really do not understand the stone throwing towards the family. If the parents or guardians were still with us perhaps it could be somewhat justified but throwing them at this point only adds to the the pain of the remaining members. The sheriffs tone was particularly disgusting.

The impression I get is of broken homes, half siblings, chronic runaways, a less than stellar home life and a seemingly fearless fifteen year old who was ready to see what the world had to offer. That fearlessness likely cost her though.

From what I understand, the sighting after her birthday was after her 15th birthday. Not her 16th. The person who remembered that was mistaken about the year.

From what I understand, the sighting after her birthday was after her 15th birthday. Not her 16th. The person who remembered that was mistaken about the year.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder why they were vague about the dates of both her being in Georgia and the bf last sighting at the apartment in St. Pete. Also wondering what about his tale of their correspondence has them believing she was certainly there. They must have the original letters with stamped postage, maybe even a letterhead from the rainbow prison ministries. I surely wouldn't just take his word for it. With no known sightings in those five months the story of the meeting in st. pete would seem almost manufactured if it weren't for the north Ga lead.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back